Is The New Visa Rule Giving Me A Favor?

Hi all the visa experts!

Usually I am trying to do my homework; but now I am a bit confused...

I am spending most of my time in Thailand since 2000.

I am hospitality industry consultant and I work for pre-opening projects in neighboring S.-E. Asian countries.

Back to (before) October 2006, life was easy for me; because due to contracts I was flying on/off, at least twice a month so then, just visa exempt stamps.

Then, with the 90 days (in 6 months) rule, I had to start to play with Tourist Visa and Re-entry permits because I was spending more time in Thailand than abroad.

So now, back to the new visa (exempt) rules; will I play it safe by just living the country once or twice a month, when my clients are requesting my presence on site ; and just getting stamps at the airport like I used to do few years ago?!?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Yours is an example of how the visa exempt entries are supposed to be used. Since you leave for a few days or weeks before you come back.

As long as you don't need to stay any longer than 30 days at a time. Any longer get a tourist visa.

The new rules are making it the same as before. No more counting days or months. Just come and go by air all you want and get 30 days every time.

Edited by ubonjoe

Yours is an example of how the visa exempt entries are supposed to be used. Since you leave for a few days or weeks before you come back.

As long as you don't need to stay any longer than 30 days at a time. Any longer get a tourist visa.

The new rules are making it the same as before. No more counting days or months. Just come and go by air all you want and get 30 days every time.

Thanks ubonjoe for such a prompt answer,

No more counting days, stickers and re-entry permits, indeed for my case (sorry to be selfish!) sounds as a wonderful Xmas present!

I think I remember an earlier post where you were having problems keeping your days and months straight.

Yes an early christmas present for you. But that's because the old rules hurt you even though you were not the intended target of the change.

Edited by ubonjoe

Yes, lazygourmet, for you the change is all for the better. Because you travel by air you get the same 30-day visa-exempt arrival stamp as before but now there is no more limit of 90 days in six months. The 15-day stamp is only for arrivals by land or sea.

Merry Christmas!

--

Maestro

I think I remember an earlier post where you were having problems keeping your days and months straight.

Yes an early christmas present for you. But that's because the old rules hurt you even though you were not the intended target of the change.

Actually for me, during these last 3 years, the most annoying parts were time & pages consuming and the need of a new "book" nearly every year.

Now, seven more years to come; and I will annoy you again about how to get a retirement visa!?!

Just kidding,

Thanks for advice

Michel