Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

I was drunk in Gullivers so bought some Fish and Chips the other week, and it was surprisingly delightful.

2 nice chunky pieces of fish, in a thin crispy batter, and the chips werent bad also just not too many of them.

I find fish and chips in the UK to be far too greasy and dont much like the thick greasy batter this food was far better then most back home.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was drunk in Gullivers so bought some Fish and Chips the other week, and it was surprisingly delightful.

2 nice chunky pieces of fish, in a thin crispy batter, and the chips werent bad also just not too many of them.

I find fish and chips in the UK to be far too greasy and dont much like the thick greasy batter this food was far better then most back home.

Sounds like you only ever had Fish and chips, North of the Watford Gap

:):D:D .

Sounds like you only ever had Fish and chips, North of the Watford Gap

:):D:D .

I didn't know that they've learned to use fire North of the Watford Gap

• 3 months later...
Please do not eat fish & chips at Neeroys! Absolutely the worst f&c I ever had. I am sure it was microwaved. It wasn't at all crispy and tasted like soggy cardboard (the "fish" may have well have been reconstituted white paste as it was unrecognizable as fish). On top of it was a pile of freshly fried greasy batter droppings (no fish) which I think is to fool you that the fish was fried in the last century. Forget about tartar sauce (none offered), that isn't the point, the fish was a disgrace. 100 baht? It wasn't worth 10 baht. I don't know if it always that bad at Neeroys but once is enough.

Exactly what I thought when I last tried it in Feb '09. The fish had been cooked into a pulp and the chips were soggy with grease and over cooked to a dark brown colour. It had been reheated and was vile. I would not eat it again if it was free.

A few months earlier it had been good, they must have changed chefs. These cafes have to be so careful as many folk will not return again having been served up with such a disgusting concoction on a previous visit.

Please do not eat fish & chips at Neeroys! Absolutely the worst f&c I ever had. I am sure it was microwaved. It wasn't at all crispy and tasted like soggy cardboard (the "fish" may have well have been reconstituted white paste as it was unrecognizable as fish). On top of it was a pile of freshly fried greasy batter droppings (no fish) which I think is to fool you that the fish was fried in the last century. Forget about tartar sauce (none offered), that isn't the point, the fish was a disgrace. 100 baht? It wasn't worth 10 baht. I don't know if it always that bad at Neeroys but once is enough.

Exactly what I thought when I last tried it in Feb '09. The fish had been cooked into a pulp and the chips were soggy with grease and over cooked to a dark brown colour. It had been reheated and was vile. I would not eat it again if it was free.

A few months earlier it had been good, they must have changed chefs. These cafes have to be so careful as many folk will not return again having been served up with such a disgusting concoction on a previous visit.

Slightly off-topic but I must just comment about the Indian food at Neeroy's. There's nothing like a good, UK style, Indian curry, of whatever type, but I'm afraid that Neeroy's 'Bradford Style' curries are nothing like anything that should be called a curry at all!

I've tried their Chicken Vindaloo offering and it was certainly 'hot' enough. Not 'spicy' though as there was really no flavour to it at all. I subsequently tried their Chicken Jalfrezi - on a different night - and it was much like the Vindaloo but rather less hot and again it had little flavour to it. Jalfrezi seems to translate as 'pile a few fried onions on top'! The pilau rice was OK but the plain naan was a bit like greasy cardboard.

I don't think that I'll be returning to sample the other 'delights' from their quite extensive menu.

For what it's worth, the best Indian food I've found in the Pattaya area is at the Tandoori Garden, round the back of Mabprachan Lake. Shares facilities with the Fisherman's Rest. Well worth a visit, believe me.

DM

Slightly off-topic but I must just comment about the Indian food at Neeroy's. There's nothing like a good, UK style, Indian curry, of whatever type, but I'm afraid that Neeroy's 'Bradford Style' curries are nothing like anything that should be called a curry at all!

DM

Agreed. Absolutely terrible.

However the quest goes on for decent fish & chips in Pattaya.

Does anyone have an update of the F & C quality at Jamiesons?

Does anyone have an update of the F & C quality at Jamiesons?

I think it is decent but not fabulous, not cod. I had it a few times on their specials night. Small portion but good and very good chips. Tartar sauce and cole slaw, but no pea options.

The place that used to be The Lighthouse Restaurant (and before that Mata Hari's) is being refurbished right at the moment. It's not open yet but the signs are up, and it is to be called Goose's Fish and Chips. Seems a strange name (combining goose with fish), but I guess we will find out when it opens. Looks almost ready to open. The restaurant is on 2nd Road between sois 7 and 8, not far from Domicil restaurant.

I'll write a review if I try it out.

18 Coins on Soi Buakhow is good, crispy batter and usually once a week they have it as a daily special for 99 baht :D

Agreed! (August 2009) is now quite excellent and deserves special consideration for F&C in Pattaya!

Now 119 baht. but soft drink included-excellent meal :):D

This wa ssupposed to be Fish and Chips from The Great british Fish and Chip Shop in Khao Noi Pattaya.

Cod and Chips 200+ Baht and Raw inside and the Outside colour you can see for yourself.

I tried it once and I won't go back. I ride by there often and they have few customers...

This wa ssupposed to be Fish and Chips from The Great british Fish and Chip Shop in Khao Noi Pattaya.

Cod and Chips 200+ Baht and Raw inside and the Outside colour you can see for yourself.

I tried it once and I won't go back. I ride by there often and they have few customers...

It amazes me that in a city that is right on the bay it is impossible to find good fish and chips........but I am not sure what a good alternative to cod would be in Thailand (red snapper?).

[As an aside, it also amazes me that not one establishment can make a decent grilled hamburger--also Mexican food, smoked BBQ, Chinese food.]

Not in Pattaya but I had F&C at the Camel bar in Ban Chang the other day - best I've ever had in Thailand.

Agreed --- best I've had in Thailand also. Normally also offered as a special on friday lunchtime.

But beware, the Camel has a problem maintaining consistency. The F+C can be excellent for months, and then deteriorate suddenly for several weeks, with much smaller portions of fish and tasteless batter.

The chili con carne goes through a similar cycle.

But in general the food is very good, with a wide choice on the menu.

Not in Pattaya but I had F&C at the Camel bar in Ban Chang the other day - best I've ever had in Thailand.

But beware, the Camel has a problem maintaining consistency. The F+C can be excellent for months, and then deteriorate suddenly for several weeks, with much smaller portions of fish and tasteless batter... The chili con carne goes through a similar cycle.

Finally got that off yer chest, huh?

Edited by Michaelaway

• 4 weeks later...

I see that 'Greg's Kitchen' on Pattaya 2nd Road is advertising a Friday 'Fish & Chips' 'Special', and he says "Don't miss this one":

299 Baht: Norwegian Cod Fillet, deep fried in the chef's crispy batter served with home made chips, peas and tartare sauce and bread and butter.

Has anyone tried it?

Beg to differ but they are bloody awful.............tried them just after they opened (since i live just up the road ) went in 3pm omly customer (so had every chance to get it right) ..........got the special at 175 baht ( john dory?)..........anyway chips were brown on the outside but not cooked on the inside...........batter was heavy and soggy on the fish and outweighed the fish by 3 to 1. <snip>

Sound just like my chippie in Buckingham.

Nostalgia anyone?

I see that 'Greg's Kitchen' on Pattaya 2nd Road is advertising a Friday 'Fish & Chips' 'Special', and he says "Don't miss this one":

299 Baht: Norwegian Cod Fillet, deep fried in the chef's crispy batter served with home made chips, peas and tartare sauce and bread and butter.

Has anyone tried it?

Syd, i just had a late sunday lunch at Greg's with the family

i had the fish and chips from the regular menu and they were really excellent

a huge pure white piece of cod, lightly battered, real chips, doorsteps of bread and butter & garden peas.

without going into too much detail, i avoid mushy peas or face sleeping alone

i would highly recommend it to anyone.

Has anyone tried it?

Syd, i just had a late sunday lunch at Greg's with the family

i had the fish and chips from the regular menu and they were really excellent

a huge pure white piece of cod, lightly battered, real chips, doorsteps of bread and butter & garden peas.

without going into too much detail, i avoid mushy peas or face sleeping alone

i would highly recommend it to anyone.

I appreciate the feedback, I will certainly give the Fish & Chips a try at Gregg's this week. Cheers! :)

You will never find anything in Thailand that will compare with the real thing back home in Blighty..

And please keep the Tartar sauce away... it dont belong on fish and chips.

Salt & Vinegar and some red sauce..

Accompanied by some proper english bread with plenty of butter on.. "chip butty"

well said mate sounds like home

Any recent reports about the F&C at the Bowling Green? Its 160 baht.

Then there is that new place, not opened yet, on 2nd Road, south of Klang on the beach side, called Moose's I think dedicated to F & C. Surely worth a try when they open.

Edited by Jingthing

• 3 weeks later...

Goose's Fish and Chips - 2nd Road just before Soi 7 - the new place is open. I tried it tonight. Excellent - they have "local" fish and atlantic cod.

I had local, there was two choices and I had John Dory, huuuge comes with chunky chips (yes) or mashed potato and a choice of mushy peas, garden peas (yes) or baked beans. Also a thick slice of white bread and butter, and of course tartar sauce. It was a light batter (close to crumbed)

Couldn't quite eat it all - left some chips and most of the bread. I am still full 3 hours later. All that for Baht 195.

Drink prices were reasonable as well. They also do breakfast but I can't remember the price. Some other items on the menu were pies and bangers and mash, also pickled onions and gherkins available. There is Thai food as well.

Highly recommended.

I was looking forward to trying this place out having seen it advertised on the TV and took a trip especially to the dark side the other night to check it out. Sad to say that I will not be returning. The fish was OK, but the batter was a bit soggy and the chips were awful. I must have got about 10 chips which were soggy and brown.

It took about 15-20 minutes for them to cook up 1 meal and we were the only customers in there. I feel that it was not at all worth the 190 baht I paid. I have had better at Seasider and Neeroys for around 100 baht.

Although I've lived close by it for over 3 years, I'd never bothered eating in the Baan Jomtien Pub before. A few days ago I took a friend there and was pleasantly surprised by it. I had fish and chips, which was local white fish but very good, with excellent batter and home-made chips. Very reasonably priced, too, I'll be eating there again.

The Baan Jomtien Pub is on Thappraya Road, on the Jomtien Complex side, it's about the second or third place after you've passed Jomtien Complex Condo, just after the perennially-deserted Miss Pattaya bar.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just returned from Goose's Fish and Chips - once again a great feed. I had the mash potatoes for a change and a big mound of mash was promptly served up with the usual large fillet of John Dory and garden peas. Still think you can't beat it.

Next time I will try something else just to see if the standard is as high as with the fish.

BTW - Goose has nothing to do with fish (surprise surprise) but is actuallyn the owners nickname - no, I didn't ask how he came by it but you can when you go in for a meal.