And You Think That The Pad Blockade Only Affected The Touist Industry... Yr Wrong !

ozinthailand

I have a friend who is staying with me who normally lives at Ratchada, near Huay Kwang. He is a regular at Nataree Massage. He spoke with his regular girl, she told him over 100 girls have been laid off due to NO customers, not a slow down, she said none, zip, nada .

People have stopped coming to Thailand!!!!. Think back to Bali......

Cheap flights wont be enough for people to restore confidence when safety is concerned. People wont compromise safety by buying cheap flights.

This will be far reaching across all parts of the Thai economy..

This is terrible...it took 6-7 years for Bali to restore confidence, even with the new PM< he doesnt seem to have big enough gonads to be able to keep this country together...... The only hope is for the Govt to grow balls and to throw all govt objectors in jail, and replace the head of the military..... lock them all up....

what other industries have you hear that have been affected ???????

Edited by ozinthailand

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your thread title title is wrong. If this business depends on visitors, and you say people have stopped coming to Thailand, it is part of the tourist industry. But of course any slowdown in turism inevitably has a knock on effect elsewhere. Those working in tourism have less, or no, money to spend thus those businesses also feel the cold. No different to any major industry.

I am sure the OP was referring to an establishment offering Thai-massage, not the other sort, which would offend forum-rules.

Perhaps the TAT might offer a subsidy or discount-vouchers, the better to enable overseas-visitors to experience this very-Thai cultural-experience, after all they did also propose promoting those lingam-charms earlier this year ? :o

even with the new PM< he doesnt seem to have big enough gonads to be able to keep this country together...... The only hope is for the Govt to grow balls and to throw all govt objectors in jail, and replace the head of the military..... lock them all up....

You seem to have a bit of a fixation on your gonad analogy - perhaps you might wish to expand a little beyond genital talk?

In the UK, Woolworths and MFI are laying off thousands of employees. I doubt the blockade at Stansted caused this.

It would be difficult to pin point the actual effect the blockade at swampy did have but unfortunately it's the way of the world at the moment and many businesses, especially the "luxuries industry" will go to the wall over the coming months.

I have a friend who is staying with me who normally lives at Ratchada, near Huay Kwang. He is a regular at Nataree Massage. He spoke with his regular girl, she told him over 100 girls have been laid off due to NO customers, not a slow down, she said none, zip, nada .

Cheap flights wont be enough for people to restore confidence when safety is concerned. People wont compromise safety by buying cheap flights.

This is terrible...it took 6-7 years for Bali to restore confidence, even with the new PM< he doesnt seem to have big enough gonads to be able to keep this country together...... The only hope is for the Govt to grow balls and to throw all govt objectors in jail, and replace the head of the military..... lock them all up....

Checking regularly for the prices: There was an big increase when the oil was so expensive. Now the oil is cheap but the prices remain the same.

My parents don't come and visit me due to the high prices: VIE-BKK-VIE.

A few years ago we could get it between 650-850 Euro.

Now it is 950-1150 Euro. For a retired couple which usually like expensive hotel and wine it gets in total too much.

So this year now visit :o

At 700 Euro I guess they would come twice a year.

As well tourists going to Greece in summer, Flying to Greece: 100-150 Euro, they would consider Thailand at 500-600 Euro but not at 1000 Euro.

The same is with going Winter holiday in Austria/Switzerland or going to Thailand.

The economic slowdown, of course is making it worse.

I am sure the OP was referring to an establishment offering Thai-massage, not the other sort, which would offend forum-rules.

Perhaps the TAT might offer a subsidy or discount-vouchers, the better to enable overseas-visitors to experience this very-Thai cultural-experience, after all they did also propose promoting those lingam-charms earlier this year ? :o

:D Specially the happy ending is worth mentioning.

I saw an economist analyst on AJE who said Thailand will be fairly insulated from the global economic recession. The tourism slowdown may have been inevitable with the world economic downturn, and the effects of the political crisis may only be temporary. Thailand's economy is very diverse. I lived in a place with an economy that was 80% tourism driven (Hawaii) and it is going to take a beating in 2009. Thailand probably will not. True, Thailand lost its Christmas high season this year, but I wouldn't expect any long-lasting damage.

Think of all the elderly parents and children whose income has stopped being sent home from Bangkok...a sad but true reality. The repercussions are endless...hunger, not being able to afford quality health care, repossession of homes/vehicles etc....

The PAD terrorist leaders should be jailed to inspire confidence in Thailand internationally. As long as they are free to overrun airports, the possibility of healing will not happen.

Thailand is looked upon as the buffoon of the world now, a place where terrorism is overlooked.

Immediate decisive action needs to be taken.

Thailand is looked upon as the buffoon of the world now, a place where terrorism is overlooked.

What complete nonsense. One day perhaps (god-forbid), one of you guys might actually come face-to-face with a real terrorist and then you'll know what the word means.

Your economic analysis is fascinating.

sorry maybe i'm missing your point, but you can't really compare a bombing aimed at completely innocent people which created carnage and terror with a sit-in political protest in a strategic (to your aims) position.

Think of all the elderly parents and children whose income has stopped being sent home from Bangkok...a sad but true reality. The repercussions are endless...hunger, not being able to afford quality health care, repossession of homes/vehicles etc....

The PAD terrorist leaders should be jailed to inspire confidence in Thailand internationally. As long as they are free to overrun airports, the possibility of healing will not happen.

Immediate decisive action needs to be taken.

Complete cr*p !

A reduction in the monthly money transfers from Pattaya/bangkok to Isaan will simply result in a reduction in 'luxuries'. The real Isaan parents are used to living on the bread-line, managing without a car, owing their homes outright and taking advantage of virtually free government hospital care.

In line with other posters I believe that reduced visitors to Thailand are largely a result of the squeeze on finances. I would estimate that only 10% is due to the political situation where travel warnings are heeded more by families than single male travellers.

Your buffoon coment is as trite and insulting as it's inaccuracy.

Edited by Chaimai

I believe that reduced visitors to Thailand are largely a result of the squeeze on finances. I would estimate that only 10% is due to the political situation where travel warnings are heeded more by families than single male travellers.

Your buffoon coment is as trite and insulting as it's inaccuracy.

If you believe that only 10% of the reduction in tourists is due to the foolishness in Bangkok, perhaps his comment is not so far off after all. :D

There were lots of tourists spending money in the weeks before the attack of the airport. There are very few in comparison now! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Just how does one go about offending a non-human thing such as a forum rule?

Carefully, expecting a short holiday, or to be banned. :o

Edited by Ricardo

There were lots of tourists spending money in the weeks before the attack of the airport. There are very few in comparison now! :o

UG - it was quiet in Pattaya and the entertainment areas of Bangkok before the airport protest. I cannot speak for the islands.

I accept that my perception is unscientific but your comment "few in comparison" is equally subjective. Until I see reliable stats for cancellations (which I accept are more likely to be a result of fears about coming to Thailand) then I believe that reduced numbers of tourists - which we already starting to see - is mainly a result of economic reasons.

The clever part is now in trying to make Thailand attractive as a destination of choice for the traveller. What has to be understood is that the size of that market will contract quite considerable as people look at their discretionary spending. I think TAT need to revise their numbers - again.

The clever part is now in trying to make Thailand attractive as a destination of choice for the traveller.

Yes, like closing airports, letting all and sundry know that they are not really welcome here as they are not the quality desired (since when does Thailand think of quality :o ) farang prices, rip-offs, attacks, shake-downs, piss tests, and last but not least, a friendly sneer. These things should help considerably.

Edited by OlRedEyes

As much as it may seem for some forum members that they are supporting all of Issan, tourism is not the lifeline of the Issan economy, much less the Thai economy as a whole. The downturn in the manufacturing sector -which is happening- is much more troubling, ah but only a dozen or so forum members manufacture anything or do anykind of wholesale trade so it doesn't seem like such a big deal.

:o

We - tourist-oriented businesses in Chiang Mai - start getting swamped with customers that spend money right before December every year as we did this year, but the number dropped right after the airport takeover and have never rebounded. It is pretty obvious to me that the problem right now was mostly caused by the mess in Bangkok. However, the effects from the bad economy will probably hit hard a little later in the year. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

We - tourist-oriented businesses in Chiang Mai - start getting swamped with customers that spend money right before December every year as we did this year, but the number dropped right after the airport takeover and have never rebounded. It is pretty obvious to me that the problem right now was mostly caused by the mess in Bangkok. However, the effects from the bad economy will probably hit hard a little later in the year. :o

It is not going to be easy for anyone in a tourist-related business - anywhere in the world. I wish you well.

If it is any consolation, I am coming to Chiang Mai in the New Year with my g/f, and I know at least 2 other couples are going during January. None of us have booked yet.

He spoke with his regular girl, she told him over 100 girls have been laid off due to NO customers, not a slow down, she said none, zip, nada .

Most of the customers at places like that are Thai. But regardless, good, maybe this will be a chance for them to turn their lives around. I'm sure they can manage without their extravagant massage parlour income and get a normal job like everyone else.