New Passport

Ur embassy should only have punched holes in the front, back and no longer in use pages. The visas in your old passport are still valid, just show both passports when you pass through immigration.

Robert

"just show both passports when you pass through immigration."

when i did it at nong kai, i was there about an hour cos they didnt want to fill out forms and transfer details accross to the new passport, so maybe travel a little earlier!

chris

Thanks for all the answers,,,,,,,,,Just returned from immagrations and the transfer was a breeze. Submitted the embassey letter and the old and new passports at 9am and they were handed back at 9:10am NO CHARGE..

Yes, this is true. They make a phone call to your embassy and ask a question or 2. They confirm your passport change and it's done.

My questions though.

If you have a double entry visa, and change passports BEFORE using the 2nd entry. How does that work? Do you need to carry the old passport with you to show the double entry visa? Would they allow you to re-enter for the full duration? Would the transfer of the status to the new passport show the double entry status of the visa?

Answers would be much appreciated :o

Thanks for all the answers,,,,,,,,,Just returned from immagrations and the transfer was a breeze. Submitted the embassey letter and the old and new passports at 9am and they were handed back at 9:10am NO CHARGE..

Yes, this is true. They make a phone call to your embassy and ask a question or 2. They confirm your passport change and it's done.

My questions though.

If you have a double entry visa, and change passports BEFORE using the 2nd entry. How does that work? Do you need to carry the old passport with you to show the double entry visa? Would they allow you to re-enter for the full duration? Would the transfer of the status to the new passport show the double entry status of the visa?

Answers would be much appreciated :o

The only thing they will transfer over are the latest entry and permit to stay stamps. You will have to carry your old passport when you leave to use the 2nd entry. Show them your old passport when you return to get the new 60 day entry.

The only thing they will transfer over are the latest entry and permit to stay stamps. You will have to carry your old passport when you leave to use the 2nd entry. Show them your old passport when you return to get the new 60 day entry.

Thanks. It will be tested in practice in a few months time. I'll make a follow up post then. (unless my memory fails me)

Edited by filingaccount

• 3 weeks later...

This may be a silly question, but is there any need to transfer the entry stamp into a new passport if one does not have a visa, but has entered into Thailand simply with the 15 days entry stamp?

(Hey, this was my first post! Hooray!)

This may be a silly question, but is there any need to transfer the entry stamp into a new passport if one does not have a visa, but has entered into Thailand simply with the 15 days entry stamp?

(Hey, this was my first post! Hooray!)

:o To Thai Visa.

No you don't have to but it will complicate matters until you leave and come back again because you will need to carry both passports because your new passport will not show you are here legally.

If you change over your entry and permit to stay stamps to your new passport you can put away your old passport forever.

Ok, thanks. :o Just as I suspected (but I wanted to make sure...)

Anyway, if the entry stamp transfer is not necessary, then I'll skip the Immigration Office hassle because I have to leave the Kingdom this friday. (Lucky me that the passport came already today. JIT.)

Ok, thanks. :o Just as I suspected (but I wanted to make sure...)

Anyway, if the entry stamp transfer is not necessary, then I'll skip the Immigration Office hassle because I have to leave the Kingdom this friday. (Lucky me that the passport came already today. JIT.)

Just remember to take both passports with you.

I believe it is absolutely necessary to get your entry stamp “admitted <date> until <date>“ transferred to your new passport. If you don’t have it transferred at the immigration office, the immigration checkpoint may do it for you on your departure from Thailand.

--

Maestro

It should be like this at the border.

Show both passports to Thai immigration. They put departure stamp in old passport.

At other countries immigration use new passport for visa (if needed) and get stamped in and out with new passport. Showing old passport to show your your departure from here if needed.

Re-enter Thailand using new passport and get enter/permit to stay stamps. Show old passport if asked for to show departure from here.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the experiment went well, as I expected. :D

I gave my boarding pass and the old passport (that still had the departure card) to the Imm Officer at the Passport Check booth, and watched his surprised look as he opened the broken and voided passport. I said that "the passport got broken, but I have a new one", which I then handed to him. He pressed some hidden button, and in 5 seconds a Female Officer approached the booth, and took the two passports, the departure card, boarding pass, and me, into a separate desk. She took the dep card away, and stamped it. And then stamped my new passport with a departure stamp, under which she wrote "new passport" and something in Thai, which my wife later translated as meaning "was already in country, leaving now". Then she handed the two passports and my boarding pass to me, and smiled. I said "khop khun khrap", and proceeded to the international area of the airport. There was absolutely no hassle, and actually I was "processed" faster than some farang cases in the regular Passport Check booths.

Very neat, very efficient, no hassle, no questions. :o