Would You Like To See Thailand Progess Into A First World Country?

dave9988

Would you like to see Thailand progess into a First World Country?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a thread to discuss the potential pros and cons of Thailand's progression from a second world country to a first world country and how it would ultimately benefit or hurt yourself and your family. Examples would be a better public educational system or a huge increase in the cost of living.

Edited by dave9988

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean would I like Thailand to be the same as UK, or USA ?

No.

Well you are clearly projecting here as that is not what I said. Why don't you tell us what you don't like about the first world aspect of those countries. There are many first world Asian countries too you know.

Unabashedly no. I wouldn't have moved here if it was a first world country and I wouldn't stay here if it magically transformed into one (fat chance). Does that make me a bad person? Tough cookies.

I suppose the politically correct answer would be to say yes, so thanks for the opportunity to be politically incorrect.

Edited by Jingthing

If Thailand became a 1st world country , at least that would rid the realm of the sex tourists.

That would be one advantage.

I mean, you dont get many sex tourists in Tokyo do you ?

Everything imaginable is on offer, it's just that Bus driver Bob from Barnsley can't afford it. :o

Unabashedly no. I wouldn't have moved here if it was a first world country and I wouldn't stay here if it magically transformed into one (fat chance). Does that make me a bad person? Tough cookies.

I suppose the politically correct answer would be to say yes, so thanks for the opportunity to be politically incorrect.

Good response Jingthing.... :o

I mean, you dont get many sex tourists in Tokyo do you ?

So the Netherlands is a third world country then? France? Hookers are everywhere.

Try Tokyo, who gives a fig about some hairy armpit Farang sort in Europe.

I'll add to that, why don't Farangs populate Japan the same way as they do Thailand ? Cost, that's why !

They can afford Thailand, but can't afford Japan, mind you, I wouldn't swap Thailand with Japan whatever the cost....... :o

Edited by Maigo6

First/Second/Third/Fourth world are fairly nebulous terms. According to wikipedia: "The term "First World" refers to countries that are capitalist, which are technologically advanced, and whose citizens have a high standard of living."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_world

Arguably, 2 out of three already apply...all three if the comparison is made to Burma, Cambodia, many parts of India and Africa.

So what exactly do you mean in the title to this poll? Are you referring to education system? Government and judicial institutions? Laws relating to property ownership, immigration and economic/business matters?

"First World" and "Third World" are likely to change their meanings with this onset of energy-depletion on an over-populated Earth.

Until now, "First World" has come, over the past 200 years, to be shorthand for "....over-privileged, highly-industrialised, manufacturing, importing fuels and foods (usually cheaply from under-privileged countries) for its industrial workers and the supporting service sector....".

However, reading books like James Howard Kunstler's "The Long Emergency" (about what may happen in America as oil-availability contracts) leads one to the feeling that the countries of the world may soon divide into two groups. First, "The Lucky Few" where the populace can be fed and housed adequately (like Thailand) and the "The Unlucky Many" where standards of food and shelter are less than adequate.

Fortunate are all we who came to Thailand when it was easy to be admitted. That may not last long as "The Lucky Few" countries will become subject to great migratory pressures by those people who wish to get out from within one of "The Unlucky Many" countries.

i think there are pros and cons

i just ask for honesty above all

they'd still need teachers wouldn't they?

Yes, but those teachers would need the same qualifications that they would need to Teach in their own countries.

So 99% of the Farang teachers in Thailand wouldn't make the grade would they, else why do they work for peanuts in Thailand when they could be making very good money in a 1st world country ? :o

Edited by Maigo6

they'd still need teachers wouldn't they?

Yes, but those teachers would need the same qualifications that they would need to Teach in their own countries.

So 99% of the Farang teachers in Thailand wouldn't make the grade would they, else why do they work for peanuts in Thailand when they could be making very good money in a 1st world country ? :o

99%!! Bit of an exaggeration, Maigo6 (and doesn't sit well with your user name).

Actually, a lot of farang teachers are qualified to teach in their home countries and are working here in international schools (where they earn good money) and bilingual schools (where the money's not so good, but is quite OK if it includes accommodation, airfares, incentive payments and annual increment rises).

Some teachers are here because they like teaching Thai kids or they're married and have children here or they like being here for whatever reason. Some teachers and others are still working in their home countries because they're trapped there.

So what is any ones prediction about when this 'Magic moment may take place ' ?

According to Bonobo and the few times i have mentioned it , many Thai extourists have found a place they actualy enjoy and say they will be going back as well as those who have made it the place they live . Should Thailand not change its attitude toward foreigners in the near future , they will be taking steps backwards as appossed to forwards , just look at the effect the current lack of tourists is having on both buisinesses and thousands of the workers who depend on it .

Time to see the writing on the wall , and read it .

Of course it would be good to be 1st world.

Waht are you guys talking about ? You think that easily available sex-tourism equates only to chaotic corrupt 2nd world? Never been to to Singapore?

I've been to Singapore more times than your post count on this forum.

And if you have any experience at all there you will know that it is not Singaporian Chinese girls working there in the main, it's Filipinos, Thai's, mainland Chinese, Burmese, Malays, and a smattering of white women from 1st world countries and Eastern Europe.

And if you are gonna use Singapore as an example........

Never been to Tokyo ? :o:D

Edited by Maigo6

I'd like to see the country improve, but not being westernised (if that makes sence)

Meaning better healthcare, education, infrastructure,....

but like my Thai wife sais, it won't happen because it's to hard to teach Thais something as most think they know it better :o

I'd like to see the country improve, but not being westernised (if that makes sence)

Meaning better healthcare, education, infrastructure,....

but like my Thai wife sais, it won't happen because it's to hard to teach Thais something as most think they know it better :o

The perfect (?) answer!

Waht are you guys talking about ? You think that easily available sex-tourism equates only to chaotic corrupt 2nd world? Never been to to Singapore?

And if you have any experience at all there you will know that it is not Singaporian Chinese girls working there in the main, it's Filipinos, Thai's, mainland Chinese, Burmese, Malays, and a smattering of white women from 1st world countries and Eastern Europe.

Singapore girls/ Singapore. Ah, I can but dream.

No way I can afford to live there, though.

And isn't the cost of living why most of us choose Thailand over Japan and Singapore .

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Singapore girls/ Singapore. Ah, I can but dream.

No way I can afford to live there, though.

And isn't the cost of living why most of us choose Thailand over Japan and Singapore .

And just to complete this ( had to rush off for a few minutes ).

I lived in Singapore for a few years in the '70s and enjoyed it immensly. I can't think of anything that I didn't like about the country or the people. Since then, of course, things change, and it's become way too expensive for an ordinary "joe" like myself.

I do love Thailand, but there's an awful lot of things that I don't like about it, too, and on balance I'd probably live in Singapore if I could afford it, and visit Thailand for beach holidays.

Never been to Japan, but from everything I've seen on the 'net, or read, I'd really like to give it a go. Nudge nudge!