Blood Donors And Translators Needed In Phuket

george

Blood donors and translators needed

PHUKET: Wachira Phuket Hospital is urgently seeking people willing to donate blood. Although all types – A, AB, B and O – are required, need is especially desperate for rhesus negative, or Rh-, types.

Anyone interested in donating blood should present themselves at either the fourth floor of Wachira Phuket Hospital, on Yaowarat Rd in Phuket City, or call K. Sri-Rung, who is coordinating the effort, at Tel: 076-379788 or 09-8733887.

Red Cross Association of Thailand staff, who are jointly coordinating the drive with the Phuket Blood Group, said that it was “not possible” to say how many people had given blood since the call went out this morning on TV and radio.

“We have so many people come, but we still need so much more, especially of the rarer blood types,” said a volunteer.

“People should eat before they donate, and remember to drink plenty of fluids.”

Wachira Phuket is also looking for donations of clothes, shoes and toiletries, according to Siri Lee, a volunteer translator at the hospital. “Many people have arrived here with nothing,” she said. “People – Thais and foreigners – have been very generous so far but more items would be appreciated.”

Donations may be left with volunteers on the ground floor.

In addition, the Commander of the Tourist Police has asked for volunteers with multiple language skills to help out as people come to grips with the effect’s of yesterday’s wave.

Some proficiency in Thai would be helpful, though not essential.

Volunteers are asked to present themselves at the Tourist Police headquarters on the bypass road.

--Phuket Gazette

Well, let's get in there fellas.

If I was in the country, and being O negative the universal donor, I know I would be.

I know it's gonna kill me one day if I ever get in a serious problem in Asia, but they are always glad to see me at a hospital after an accident. :o:D

At 5 am Monday in Central USA they are telling me 839 dead and missing in Thailand now. My heart goes out to the country and people I love.

~WISteve

Thanks for the notice, George. I live in BKK and I'm O+. I'm wondering, if I do go to Phuket, how is transport getting there? are ther places to stay? I had plans to go wth a friend who's from there this coming Thursday. I've been calling her and e-mailing her, but no answers.

If it's not realistic to go to Phuket, can we make the donations of blood and clothing in BKK? I appreciate your help.

Jai dee

Heard on the news that many people were left with nothing but the clothes on their back. I can donate clothes and shoes but don't know where to take them in Bangkok. Has anyone got any info on this? I know that the PM has asked for donations of clothes and other stuff. Where did he say to take them?

Hello,

I am a Thai to English translator (vice versa) based in Pattaya, Thailand. I would be more than happy to help anybody trying to contact loved ones who may have been involved in the Tidal wave disaster in southern Thailand yesterday.

I will offer the following services "FREE OF CHARGE":

"TRANSLATION SERVICE" - Email's, letters etc translated to and from Thai and forwarded by Thai post or email to your chosen destination (please note that I can only translate Thai to English and English to Thai).

"TELEPHONE CALLS" - I will try to contact your loved ones by phone in the disaster area and pass on a message for you.

If you would like to take me up on the above offers of help please email me at [email protected] .

Regards,

Pada.

[email protected]

http://www.buythai.net

Edited by Translate

Heard on the news that many people were left with nothing but the clothes on their back.  I can donate clothes and shoes but don't know where to take them in Bangkok.  Has anyone got any info on this?  I know that the PM has asked for donations of clothes and other stuff.  Where did he say to take them?

Go to your nearest Robinson Department Store. They are supposed to be taking donations at all branches.

Well, let's get in there fellas.

If I was in the country, and being O negative the universal donor, I know I would be.

I know it's gonna kill me one day if I ever get in a serious problem in Asia, but they are always glad to see me at a hospital after an accident. :o  :D

At 5 am Monday in Central USA they are telling me 839 dead and missing in Thailand now.  My heart goes out to the country and people I love.

~WISteve

I would if I were there, I'm also 0 neg, but there is a long way from Denmark to Phuket. :D

I would also like to help, but need help on how to. I am O neg (I can give to all neg types) and will be back in Suratthani on Thursday and Samui on Friday (I'm currently in the UK, but live on Samui). Anybody know if it is possible to donate there, and further more for future reference whether there is some kind of register I can put my name on in case of emergencies.

I also would like to give some clothes/blankets. Should I try to get to Krabi? I'm British but married to a Thai man with basic Thai language.

Please feel free to PM me if you know what they need. I may not have too much money to donate (which I know is what they really need) but I'd like to do anything to help that I can.

AMCHAM has been in touch with the U.S. Embassy regarding any assistance that AMCHAM and AMCHAM members can offer in helping with the disaster in the south.

The U.S. Embassy has informed us of the following:

The Thai Red Cross Nation Blood Centre is in urgent of need of blood. If you can donate blood please go to the Nation Blood Centre at 1871 Henry Dunant Road, Patumwan, Bangkok. Call 0 2256 4300 for more information and hours of operation.

The U.S. Embassy is also accepting donations of clothing for those tourists who were evacuated from the South that do not have their belongings. BASIC clothing required, i.e. T-Shirts, jeans, socks will be accepted at the U.S. Embassy.

AMCHAM will continue to be in contact with the U.S. Embassy and will inform members should there be any other assistance we can offer.

PHUKET - URGENT APPEAL

* * * CLOTHING, BLANKETS & TOILETRIES * * *

Dear Friends

I am sure that you have all seen the devastation in Phuket and nearby areas over the past few days. Many of those affected are now arriving in Bangkok with little more than the clothes they are wearing.

The BCCT is working very closely with staff of the British Embassy and British Club to provide assistance and support. There is now an immediate need for items of clothing (adult/children), blankets and toiletries. If you are able to donate any of these items either individually or via your companies please deliver them urgently to:-

The British Club

Silom Soi 18

Silom Road

The British Club is the main collection point for these items but there is also a need to develop a system to transport them to the airport. If any moving companies are able to help please contact the undersigned (on my mobile) as soon as possible.

Please note that your donations will go to anyone of any nationality affected by the tsunamis.

There is also an urgent need for hotel accommodation in Bangkok. The supply of free rooms offered by the TAT are dwindling rapidly such that dormitories at universities are now being used.

The British Club has also offered to look after anyone affected by providing food, drink, shelter, showering facilities, etc.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. I will endeavor to keep you updated as much as possible over the next few days.

Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 9:37 AM

Subject: Urgent Call for Negative Blood Type - Thai Red Cross

Dear All,

This note is being sent to you either because you are an expat living in Bangkok

or perhaps because you may have connections with expats living in Bangkok.

The Thai Red Cross has put out a call for any type of ‘negative’ blood donors

to provide blood for the victims of the earthquake/tsunami down in Phuket

& surrounding areas. Negative blood type is apparently a rare blood type for Asians, so the Red Cross is relying on expats/foreigners living in Thailand or visiting in Thailand to help other foreigners who are in need of blood in southern Thailand.

Please forward this message to anyone who might have any type of ‘negative’ blood (A negative, B negative, O negative…). The Thai Red Cross is short of these types of blood, and there is obviously a big need right now.

To give blood, you can go to the Thai Red Cross directly: 1871 Henri Dunant Road

Patumwan – Bangkok 10330 For more information, you can call: 02-251-3111

or 02-252-4106 (through 9)

Thanks for whatever help you can provide – either by giving blood yourself

or by passing this note on to others who might be able to help.

URGENT! BLOOD GROUP NEEDED FOR HELP PEOPLE ARE INJURED " SUMATRA EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMIS IN THAILAND"

On-site blood collection. Eligible blood donors of any blood group, especially Rh negative group, can come to the National Blood Center to give blood any day at these times:

Weekdays 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Saturdays and other official holidays 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m.

Sundays 12:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

or call 0 2256 4300.

Announce date : 28 Dec 04 14:52

http://www.redcross.or.th/english/pr/pr_ne...4?db=0&nhid=309

If they still need people as translators, both the wife and myself would be able to go down we both speak English and Thai, they have places you can give blood even up here, off tomorrow. I still have friends I have'nt been able to get in touch with down there.

If any one knows wether there still is a need for translators PM me.

CheersRC

Went to Phuket Wachira hospital today and was told the blood banks were full and my blood wasn't needed - that was even before they asked what type I have, which is a common one - so a big "Well done" and thanks to all who have donated.

The doctor took my name and telephone number and said he would call if they needed more blood.

Edited by RDN

In Bangkok

The Blood Donation details are:

URGENT! BLOOD GROUP NEEDED FOR HELP PEOPLE ARE INJURED " SUMATRA EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMIS IN THAILAND"

On-site blood collection. Eligible blood donors of any blood group, especially Rh negative group, can come to the National Blood Center to give blood any day at these times:

Weekdays 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Saturdays and other official holidays 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m.

Sundays 12:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

or call 0 2256 4300.

Announce date : 28 Dec 04 12:48

http://www.redcross.or.th/english/home/index.php4

The place is on the street that goes from Patpong/Rama IV to Siam Square, very easy to find. Parking is allowed anywhere around the building.

It is a little bit chaotic becuase the facilities are not up to the volume of people donating, so please be patient and budget 3-5 hours. Many Thais helping in the organization making the waiting time more pleasant (as they always do).

Edited by WernerS

The thai red cross is still demanding 00:15 thai time

Rh negative Blood ..REQUIRED.. !!!

Rh negative blood is urgently needed for injured foreigners who survive from tsunamis disaster. Eligible blood doners, especially Rh negative group, please come to donate at the National Blood Center as soon as possible from 8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. everyday from now.

or

call 0 2256 4300.

Thanks very much for your kindness

Went to Phuket Wachira hospital today and was told the blood banks were full and my blood wasn't needed - that was even before they asked what type I have, which is a common one - so a big "Well done" and thanks to all who have donated.

The doctor took my name and telephone number and said he would call if they needed more blood.

Many have been told the same RDN, but I keep getting messages to donate?? I hope they are full, I am going again now to see.

Me too.. Mother informed me via email I was O RH so I went to Patong hospital.. After 15 mins of no one nowing what to do or where to go one doctor started to sort it out.. He was shocked to find out there is no blood collection organised in Patong at all.. Despite thier needd for blood !!!

So went to wachira where I was also told they did not need anything except AB (neg I think).. Tested me and said I was O+.. Left my name in the book with number to contact should it be wanted..

General feeling is one of not knowing how best to help, simply mucking out a bar cause I know them feels a bit trivial.. Sure seems to me that there needs to be some organisation skills deployed.. Everything is a bit directionless..