Oa Retirement Visa Requires An Exit Visa?

I'm a Canadian citizen who obtained an multiple entry OA (Retirement) visa several months ago. The visa says "enter before 20 Oct 2009."

I arrived in Thailand November 12th (the stamp in my passport says admitted until Nov 11 2009) so I have been here less than the "90 day report to Immigration" time frame and therefore have not reported.

A family crisis (Bernard Madoff's $50 billion Ponzi scheme) calls me back to Montreal to work out the extended family's finances and I expect I will not be able to return here for a year at least.

(If I am able, I will reapply for another OA Retirement visa or get a visa on arrival if I'm just going to visit for a bit)

I intend to leave in a few days but am unsure of the process of departure reporting.

My question is...

Do I need to go to Immigration to get a reentry permit if I do not intend to return as a retiree for at least a year and am prepared to have my OA visa lapse?

In other words, if I show up at the airport and check in at the airline, then proceed through Immigration on my way to the departure gate, will immigration reject me and demand that I get some other departure document other than the departure card that was stapled in my passport when I arrived?

Thanks in advance,

Rich (or was once)

You only need a re-entry permit to protect your existing permit to stay so if you're not going to be back for a year (well past both the 'enter before' date and the permit to stay date) then just exit the country. Fill out the exit part of the TM6 that's stapled into the passport and you're good to go.

Sorry to hear that you got caught up in what looks to be one of the biggest frauds ever recorded :o

I have an O-A multiple entry visa obtained outside of Thailand, and can confirm you do not need a re-entry permit. Just leave the country and return before the "enter before" date on the via. You will be granted another year when you enter the country.

My understanding is however that a multiple o-A visa is NOT a "retirement" visa (and should not be confused as such). Retirement visas can only be applied for in Thailand and do require a re-entry permit for the year they are valid. They are valid one year maximum, which unlike the 0-A multiple entry can be used for entry until the enter by date and are then valid for a further year (only if you do not leave the country).

I have an O-A multiple entry visa obtained outside of Thailand, and can confirm you do not need a re-entry permit. Just leave the country and return before the "enter before" date on the via. You will be granted another year when you enter the country.

My understanding is however that a multiple o-A visa is NOT a "retirement" visa (and should not be confused as such). Retirement visas can only be applied for in Thailand and do require a re-entry permit for the year they are valid. They are valid one year maximum, which unlike the 0-A multiple entry can be used for entry until the enter by date and are then valid for a further year (only if you do not leave the country).

Retirement Visas cannot be applied for in Thailand.

12 month extensions of stay based on retirement can.

You do not have to do anything. Just leave. As you said, if you do not come back until after 11 November you will have to start all over again.

If you could return before 20 Oct 2009 you will be stamped in for 12 months.

Bearing in mind that the OP's OA visa states "Enter before 20 Oct 2009", my understanding is that he would be stamped in for a further year provided that he returned on or before 19 Oct 2009.

Retirement Visas cannot be applied for in Thailand.

12 month extensions of stay based on retirement can.

Agree with Lite Beer, a 1 year Extension of Stay for retirement is applied for from immigration in Thailand. The so-called retirement visa is a Non-Immigrant "O-A" (Long Stay) visa that is issued by the Thai embassy in your home country and is good for entry into Thailand for a period of 1 year.

You do not have to do anything. Just leave. As you said, if you do not come back until after 11 November you will have to start all over again.

If you could return before 20 Oct 2009 you will be stamped in for 12 months.

Bearing in mind that the OP's OA visa states "Enter before 20 Oct 2009", my understanding is that he would be stamped in for a further year provided that he returned on or before 19 Oct 2009.

Yep. Got my 11s and 20s mixed up. I cheated and edited my previous posts. :o