What Particular Things Do You Find To Be Cheap In Thailand

livinthailandos

Haircuts for my wife.

In the U.S. she went to the cheapest place she could find with a coupon and spent the equivalent of 1,800 baht on a perm. In Thailand she spends 200 baht for a cut/perm/pedicure/manicure all at once.

Edited by mnbcm

Haircuts for my wife.

In the U.S. she went to the cheapest place she could find with a coupon and spent the equivalent of 1,800 baht on a perm. In Thailand she spends 200 baht for a cut/perm/pedicure/manicure all at once.

And they'll even colour your hair, as long as you only want it colouring black. :o

Life. :o

Beat me to it. It's a sad reflection on modern global society in general, and seems especially true in Thai and other societies. Maybe I'm just naive and life has always been cheap.

On a more upbeat note ... almost anything having to do with agricultural products are cheaper. Upcountry where we are at, fruits and veg and even some fresh fish are quite inexpensive (as well as fresh and delicious).

Ironically, with all the farm raising, one would thing shrimp and prawns would be relatively inexpensive. I just got off the phone with my honey and we were comparing prices to various items where I'm at in the middle east to back home. When we compared the price for shrimp, I thought my local price was expensive but she told me it was about the same as in our local area.

For my two bahts worth good clean tasty food. One can get three decent health meals a day for about Bt300(less than ten U.S.) :D:D:D . A good Hair is also a great bargain in LOS, Bt30 in my village, which is a super super price when you see a DUD like John "I cheat on my sick wife Edward paying about Bt35,000 for a haircut. :o:D

Haircuts for my wife.

Your wife has feet on her head???? Even worse for a "true Thai" I should think!!

how about a normal thai massage for 150 thb for an hour in holland that would cost 50 euro for 45 min!!!!

Been going to the same Thai masseuse for 2 years and still pay only 100 baht/hour. The only problem I have with her is that she insists on giving me at least 1 1/2 hour, forcing me to tip her more than normal. I give her a 60 baht tip, she only wants 20, and we settle on 40baht.

One of the many financial hardships I face here in the LOS. :o

Rental accomodation is far cheaper than the UK.

I pay 7000 baht, incl electric, water, internet cable and cable TV.

That is in a 1 bedroom, living room, kitchen and WC.

As said, it's all the things that we left in the west, which cost so much more.

Fillet steak. 1.5 kilo today at the market - 60 Baht

Which market? :o

the one next to the pet store, gotta do something with the old ones no one wants to take home

todays special

fillet of cat 30 baht per kilo

Every now and then I hear people complain about thailand not being cheap. Guess it depends though on weither your the tourist or someone living here. Here's my examples but then again I live here though. I'm from the US so I've noticed at least

1. My water bill is less than 100 baht a month, in the US I was paying about $75 USD a month for water

Yes, the water is certainly cheaper here. The draw back is that it often goes off during the day and at weekends, and the pressure is hit and miss. Plus in the UK I can drink the water straight from the tap.

2. Electric rates, here I pay 1500 baht, back in the US I was paying $200 a month

My electric bill here is probably a bit cheaper than the Uk, but not by much.

3. Health care here is always more affordable always pay less than 1000 baht for treatment, medicine, see doctor. The US was ok but for my coverage I was paying $160 a month for health insurance, then $20 to see the doctor $20 for medicine so really I came out $200 dollars.

Health care is free in the UK, and although slow I have more confidence in it than I do the doctors here.

4. Have low cost airlines like airasia, ok so we have southwest airlines but here seems somewhat cheaper anyway at least in my opinion

Plenty of low cost airlines all over europe as far as I know.

5. How I love my mobile phone, No Contracts and unlocked phones I can buy. In the US have to get a 1 or 2 year contract and your phone can't be unlocked yes you get it cheaper but your stuck with the carrier or pay a $150 penalty fee. Here if I dont like DTAC I just jump over to AIS or someone else. I rather like being able to buy any phone and have it already unlocked.

I don't use mobile phones much, but as far as I know in the UK you can get the latest i-phone as part of a reasonable package.

6. Food I get healthier food here than back in the US. I pay 50 baht get beef noodle soup with rice and thai ice tea, The US only thing you can get for 50 baht is food from jack in the box or mcdonalds

Food is cheap here until you decide you want something that isn't Thai. Plus with the cheap comes the health risks. As for being more healthy, well thats debatable. In the west there are standards and regulations to adhere to. You know what happens to regulations here. They just get ignored. Who can say what chemicals go into the fruit veg and meat here. I agree that it looks good and tastes good, but if theres a wrong or dangerous way to do something the Thais will find it.

7. Ok so this isn't cheap going to the movies here I pay for my big seat recliner I want to enjoy my movie comfortable. popcorn and coke here less than 100 baht in the US about $9 USD also a small seat

It may be cheap going to the movies here, but in the west you have a much better chance of leaving the cinema alive should there be a fire.

would like your opinions and things you find to be cheap

DVDs are for sure cheaper right. Except in the west everyone has high speed internet and downloads for free. dam_n! :D

Beer is cheaper. Unless you go to a tourist place or a slightly upmarket joint then its about the same. Plus the selection is terrible here.

However, petrol is certainly cheaper, but cars arn't.

I'm just being realistic.

I'll get my coat. :o

what a miserable git you are.

i would also suggest learning how to quote.