How Much Do You Tip?

Geekfreaklover

Evening,

Following on from a digression on another Topic "How much do you earn in Thailand', the subject of tipping for services in Thailand was brought up. Seems quite an interesting subject.

So how much do you generally tip waiters/waitresses/massusses/hairdressers etc.

Whats the most you have ever tipped?

Can you tip too much in Thailand?

GFL.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Nice one GFL, this should provoke a diverse range of replies (note that you didn't start the ball rolling based on your own tips :o )

Evening,

Following on from a digression on another Topic "How much do you earn in Thailand', the subject of tipping for services in Thailand was brought up. Seems quite an interesting subject.

So how much do you generally tip waiters/waitresses/massusses/hairdressers etc.

waitresses 20 baht (usually 4/500 bill), massueses 40 Baht (on 180/200 bill), hairdresser 10 Baht (on 40 baht)

Whats the most you have ever tipped?

1,000 Baht placed in the garter of a dancer in Angelwitch.

Can you tip too much in Thailand?

Yes. My 1,000 was ridiculous, I was just showing off and teaching someone how easy it was the 'throw away money' - I was drunk, of course.

The other topic you refer to highlighted that 500 Baht was too much for waitress tip. I believe that you should work to the accepted standard scale of tipping otherwise expectations are elevated beyond reasonable levels. Tip more if you have a valid reason i.e. are drunk, want to replace the Thai welfare system by providing a living wage to a girl earning 100 baht a night, phenomemal service, you fancy the waiter/waitress, want to 'impress' friends etc,etc

GFL.

Edited by Chaimai

Ok how much do i tip?, a waiter or waitress will normally get 10% if the service is good. A bit more if the service is excellent. A hairdresser will normally get about 10-15%. A massage will be looking at about 15% tip. Have to remember that most of these people rely on tips. Oh, and I normally round up taxi fares. something like 20bt tip for a short journey. If it's a 2-3 hour journey will tip a couple of hundred if the driver is a good driver.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Usually 20 baht for a beer or a quick bite to eat.

More if really good service - nothing if service is crap.

Most I've given is 500 baht, twice - once for a hotel receptionist who saved me much more than that in the middle of the night and once at the amphur when I had my 'official' marriage registered :o

Most I've given is 500 baht, twice - once for a hotel receptionist who saved me much more than that in the middle of the night and once at the amphur when I had my 'official' marriage registered :o

Sounds omnious. What happened with the receptionist in the middle of the night then?

Edited by Geekfreaklover

My Thai wife insists no tipping.

I usually go for the 10% thing especially as I know how little Thai people earn, but she just says this is a bad western habit and if you do it all Thais will start to expect tips.

I tip when she's not looking, makes me feel good, I'm just buying self gratitude really, altruistic behaviour? god knows.

Sounds omnious. What happened with the receptionist in the middle of the night then?

Nothing so dramatic, but I'd booked in a hotel for several days and a family thing came up and I had to check out.

I was on my own and needed a taxi to get to my wife's aunt's house 90 minutes drive away in an area of Bkk I didn't know at all. I didn't get ripped off by the hotel or the taxi. The receptionist was really helpful without any hassle and I just wanted to say thank you.

Tipping is a western concept imported to the glorious "Land 'O Thais" and embraced wholeheartedly by the ever smiling, yet diminutive inhabitants here.

I rarely ever tip in thailand, (not restaurants, taxis, nothing) as I feel the workers in most foreign frequented areas have good jobs at a fairly decent thai wage, (given they probably didn't finish 6th grade). In my opinion; they can always go back to Nakhon Nowhere and pull frickin' rice.

Sadly, I think most first worlder's tip WAY too much here and now expecting a tip (even for less than marginal service) has become an integral part of the mindless thai psyche. I have been asked by thai workers more than once; "you gib tip me?"

To each their own. Tip away if you feel the need. .. .. Thankfully, I don't feel the need ever.

Never tip barbers.

If I eat in a posh restaurant, I give 20 baht tip if the sevice is good(of course). None of that 10% nonsense - that's American.

I realize it is not customary in Thailand to tip barbers.

However, I currently go regularly to the same guy in a local Thai shop, Customers are about 90 percent Thai. There is no double pricing and the charge is 60 baht. The barber does a good job, speaks English fairly well, and is reliable. I can't not tip for this, so I give 100. I don't know whether I would be welcomed back so warmly or not if I didn't tip, but conditioning dies hard.

I find that on most occasions 20 Baht is a good all round figure.

Long Taxi Ride, I will usually round up to next 100, minimum of 50 Baht if a good driver.

Thai meal for 25 or 30 Baht - usually no tip, but will often tell them to keep the change if 5Baht.

I find it strange that it is normal to tip some people, but not others.

I will tip the man who takes my bags to the room in an hotel, but never the receptionist.

Taxi driver, but never a bus driver.

If I buy something in a shop and the assistant is knowledgeable and very helpful, the thought of a tip never crosses my mind, but I will tip the men who deliver my purchase.

I think the biggest tip I've given is 500Baht, but that was by mistake. I had mistaken a 500 for 50 note.

I don't know why, but even if I only have one drink in a bar, I always leave 20 Bt tip.

Most Thais do not tip and yes, sometimes Farang can tip too much. If too many Farang start tipping disproportionately, it will likely be expected of all Farang.

Tipping is a western concept imported to the glorious "Land 'O Thais" and embraced wholeheartedly by the ever smiling, yet diminutive inhabitants here.

I rarely ever tip in thailand, (not restaurants, taxis, nothing) as I feel the workers in most foreign frequented areas have good jobs at a fairly decent thai wage, (given they probably didn't finish 6th grade). In my opinion; they can always go back to Nakhon Nowhere and pull frickin' rice.

Sadly, I think most first worlder's tip WAY too much here and now expecting a tip (even for less than marginal service) has become an integral part of the mindless thai psyche. I have been asked by thai workers more than once; "you gib tip me?"

To each their own. Tip away if you feel the need. .. .. Thankfully, I don't feel the need ever.

If you had a clue as to what these drop-outs made would you tip? Not likely. Do you tip back in wherever you're from? When one cannot afford even a 20bht tip then look for a feeble excuse.

Most of the comments seem to from tourist areas. My tipping is based on Thai areas and what my wife does. In mall type restaurants, i.e. MK or Fuji, we will leave 20 baht plus what ever coin is there (and they never put coins in place of paper as I have seen in tourist areas). There is a neighborhood restaurant we go to at least once a week and the waitress is someone from the neighborhood and is very poor with husband that sell the pressed fish from his bicycle and they have 2 kids, my wife insist on giving her 100 baht. Woman that has been cutting my hair for going on 8 years now charges 60 baht, give her a 100 and keep the change she still tries to give me each time. Taxis, round up to the nearest 20 baht. Bell boys in hotels, 100 baht (my wife does not travel light). What I have found going out with middle class Thais is they do tip, and often it very generous, but it seems to be more in the line of charity to someone noticeably less well off then payment for services as in the western paradigm.

I do take serious exception to people that say Thai people that receive generous tips look on the person doing so with less respect. That may true with a hard core go-go dancer, but normal Thais in low paid service jobs very much appreciate the generosity and in my experience show great respect when receiving it.

TH

Edited by thaihome

- Took my friends out for dinner, 8000baht bill - 200 baht tip (sort of cheap tipper, but the food in the mediocre joint was overpriced)

- Bar bill of 5000 baht last week - 200 baht tip (again very cheap)

- Meal 300 baht - 30 baht tip

- Valet/driver - 5,000 baht tip (cuz I like him and he has a kid)

- Guy who took care of me on a trip a week ago - 10,000 baht tip (but I know he's in university and he's wicked decent)

- van driver from Novotel BKK to airport 2 weeks ago, no tip and he was pissed off.

- Starbucks 90 baht over priced coffee - no tip and no one noticed

Apparently, I have a psychotic approach to tipping............