Thailand Elite Program Is Dying! Special Entry Visa Suspended!

As for today there are about 2500 members in the program. I am just wondering what will be the consequences of this move by thai government
I suspect the sh*t caning of Toxic's Thailand Elite card is paving the way for a "new and improved" Thailand Elite card to be introduced, of course members of the old scheme will be welcome to apply for a "nominal" fee

You are an optimistic sort, aren't you?

I doubt it. The whole Elite card company is a reminder of the Thaksin years. It was a huge failure. The sales numbers were tiny. I think they have every good reason to trash this program completely. However, that is obviously not fair to the current holders.

They missed the 20 Trillion Baht mark by just > < the thinnest of margins....

from my signature ex-TAT Governor...

TAT says Elite Card well received

Target of selling 1 Millon cards likely to be met

The project is making a good start and attracting interest from well-to-do foreigners, according to Juthamas Siriwan, Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

Brochures outlining privileges and other related services, including offers at 20 top golf courses, 60 luxury hotels, are ready for distribution.

However, the official opening of the programme will be chaired by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra as the project is the brainchild of the premier.

Mrs Juthamas said she was confident that One Million cards would be sold within five years as target, generating One Trillion baht for Thailand.

With the One Trillion Baht in revenue from cards and One Million Cardholders visiting Thailand, spending and shopping, she estimated that spin-off revenue generated from the activities could reach 20 Trillion Baht.

- Bangkok Post / Sep. 16, 2003

Imagine..... 20 Trillion Baht....

Indeed, that could have come in real handy nowadays....

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the issue is completely dead yet.

Reading the letter from the Thai Priviledge Card Company it seems that the 5 year Visa programme needs to receive approval from any new Government of the day, ergo the Visa programme is merely suspended until such time as the Council of Ministers convenes and considers approving the continuation of the scheme.

Patrick

I don't think the issue is completely dead yet.

Reading the letter from the Thai Priviledge Card Company it seems that the 5 year Visa programme needs to receive approval from any new Government of the day, ergo the Visa programme is merely suspended until such time as the Council of Ministers convenes and considers approving the continuation of the scheme.

Patrick

Nevertheless, it is incredible shame for the country and it's reputation.

I'm trying very hard not to turn into a Thailand basher here but the constant changes of visa rules are becoming a bit of a joke. I agree 100% with Thailands right to change the rules but I just wish they'd stop doing it every bloody month. Example, got a friend who just came to Cambodia, wanted a tourist visa for Thailand since the 15 day rule is enforced now, applied through a travel agent in Sihanoukville, the max he could get was 30 days, so my friend now has had to pay a travel agent to get something which previously he could have got for free with an entry stamp. Way to go thailand. I think the Thai government would prefer it if we just mailed our wallets to Thailand and didn't actually come.

Thailand elite program is dying! Special Entry Visa suspended!

[/size]

What does this say about the country? What does this say about the people of this country? What does this say about doing business in this country?

For more information about this program you can visit thailandelite web site

What does this say about the gullibility of people with more money than brains buying a 5 year visa for 1 million baht .

it was obvious from the start that this elite card scam would not hold the water .... man soooo obvious!

not even pointing out that the elite card club was a PRIVATE company not a government subsidiary.

a good scam initiated by Mr Dark Vador himself to benefit his cronnies.

Edited by SabaiBKK

Thaksin is gone. All his programs (including this one) will be removed one by one. I am not surprised at all. Good luck to you all who have donated 1 million to Thaksin. Call it betting on a loosing horse if you like.

maybe "money making scheme" would be more appropriate!

Hi all,

I have been a member of ThailandElite for a good 2 years now and so far, it has been up and down due to the constant changes in the government. After hearing about the suspension, I immediately contacted the call centre and expressed my concerns about this matter.

From what I found out is that the cabinet is currently reviewing the program along with other governmental programs as it is normal when a new government to review all the programs, without the intention of changing or canceling it. I have read that the new prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has declared that the new government will keep the program and continue the improve it. At the call centre, when asked about the visa, they said that TPC is waiting for the approval for members to be able to renew their visas every 5 years. The length of each visa is also 5 years each.

I encourage all you to become a member of ThailandElite if it fits your needs (Visa, golf, spa, fast track). I have been satisfied with the services so far. Sure there has been times when things weren't looking rosy and I had many worries for its existence. Afterall, I did pay a good sum to become a member. Now that the new government looks promising, I still have confidence about this program.

Charles

The Thailand Elite Card scheme was a dead in the water deal from the very outset.

Another ill thought out scheme from Thaksin and his cronies.

If people were happy (or foolish enough) to throw one million baht away then I am afraid that I have little sympathy for them. :o

Edited by john b good

I encourage all you to become a member of ThailandElite

I still have confidence about this program.

First post and already an award winner.

Optimist of the Year. Smiley_trophy.gif

Give me a break " Charles ".

If you had more than 1 ( one ) posting I might take your opinion seriously. Next you will be telling us where to buy a cheap suit in Bangkok.

I would love to know what your agenda is and why you just happen to make your first posting such a sweet recommendation for this card.

Will you be a regular poster on this forum or did you just log in to try and put a rosey / PR finish to what is happening.

A friend of me is an elite member but he didnt paid for it but he endorsed it to his business partners in Europe. I advised him if he wants some first class service to invest 250,000 (2.5 million Baht) in Malaysia. He did it last year and has a longterm 10 year visa now for Malaysia and owns a condo now in KL and looks now for a house in Penang. Immigration laws should be the same for everyone and not with a way that the rich can bypass the system by banking a million Baht to Singapore. Well done PM Abhisit !

What does this say about the gullibility of people with more money than brains buying a 5 year visa for 1 million baht .
You forget that at first when buying Elite Card you could Buy Land in Thailand !

It was a priceless privilege...

a good scam initiated by Mr Dark Vador himself to benefit his cronnies.
Did you mean Darth Vader (Star Wars) ? :o

Quite likely the special visa will get reinstated. But not before causing Elite members a huge amount of hassle that they bought into the scheme to avoid.

If all the money is in Singapore why should the program be reinstated?

Some facts people should know about Thailand Elite.

As a thailand elite member for over two years its important for me to tell the true facts of this program. Thailand Elite is a great program as long as it can continue to deliver the services. Up to date the service was superior with no doubt. I never was disappointed from the service. The company is doing an excellent job in running the service to members and until today it has fully delivered all of its promises. The big question is if they will be able to sustain this superior level of service and visa privileges for the next 10-20 years.

Most probably this program is going be respected by the new government and there are several good reason that I will mention. Regardless of the upcoming cabinet visa privileges resolution outcome (which is expected by many to be approved) this situation will badly harm the program reputation as uncertainty for the programs future raises among current members and potential new ones. The simple fact that every new government which has overthrown the last one is questioning this program from the beginning is destroying the programs reputation and ability to succeed. Thailand elite program has been established under a core basis of a life time membership and this is a very hard promise to fulfill in this country political climate. It will be sad to see the program failing because bottom line Thailand elite company is doing a great job and service for its members and this country.

One can argue if the program has been failing. New members acquisitions in nothing that has been initially expected, the companies financial situation will doubly enable it to continue rendering the "life time" services but the benefit this program is giving to this country and society is more deeper than for see the eye when looking on the company financial sheets. Thailand elite program is surely a great program for introducing this country to the world and other nationalities both culturally and financially. Businessmen and investors with no specific agenda can start experience the county with no immigration hassles and high-end tourism can greatly enjoy this countries leisure benefits. In the end for the day those people that come here as Thailand elite members get to know the country better and naturally increase overtime their investments here as personal understanding, emotions and confidence about this society develop. Meaning the average value of the member to the country is much more than the 1million baht entry free. It can be as much as 30 folds higher and the governments are surely taking this in account.

Thailand has many reason to see that this program does not fail or close. This will not contribute to the countries reputation, this will harm the business environment and international investments here if the program will not continue to be respected by the government.

Its too late to cancel this program without negative outcomes. If this current government will not support this program the embarrassment and disappointment will be great among many members. If it happens it will not be because of the financially failure of the program (since its not failing) but rather because this country is becoming more and more nationalistic in a very negative way which I still don't want to believe is the case.

If you had more than 1 ( one ) posting I might take your opinion seriously. Next you will be telling us where to buy a cheap suit in Bangkok.

I would love to know what your agenda is and why you just happen to make your first posting such a sweet recommendation for this card.

Will you be a regular poster on this forum or did you just log in to try and put a rosey / PR finish to what is happening.

Look, I am not here to provoke anyone. All I am saying is that I have been satisfied with this membership. I understand all the concerns about this visa issue as it affects myself as a member.

I am definitely not here to put a "rosey" or any kind of "PR." what will I get out of it? I am just another member who is equally concerned about what is happening. But I for one have trust in the organization because I believe that if the government doesn't take care of their members, the extent of the damage for the members would be too great, which of course would destroy the image of Thailand even more. In addition, the new government has already shown their intention of supporting this program as I posted below.

Therefore, I prefer to remain calm and be patient instead of lashing out and concluding to assumptions.

Fast_Back_on_Track.pdf

The Thai visa situation is a reason cited by many here in Cambodia for the move from Thailand.

I actually left Thailand because of the smoke pollution in Chiang Mai, but the visa siatuation - with its requirement to leave the country frequently, and the endless rule-changes - also contributed.

Here in Phnom Penh I paid the guy at the airport $300 cash and had a 13-month working visa delivered to my door next day. No work permit is needed (or even exists). No need to leave the country to renew: you can stay here forever if you want.

Not always worrying about visa runs, and the many complications and changes of the Thai system, is a load off.

The Thailand Elite Card scheme was a dead in the water deal from the very outset.

Another ill thought out scheme from Thaksin and his cronies.

If people were happy (or foolish enough) to throw one million baht away then I am afraid that I have little sympathy for them. :o

I like clear cut, simple solutions!

The worst "Investment" offer for Centuries even if it would come with a guarantee that the buyer for life will be "elegable for 5 years visa, why not give instant life long "stay for free and how long you want visa"?!

Already this had put me off straightaway - as the average Thai Citizen never ever dares to dream about this amount of money!

Better buy a house or donate it to Father Joseph Meier's Orphanage of Klong Toey!

Edited by Samuian

I suspect the sh*t caning of Toxic's Thailand Elite card is paving the way for a "new and improved" Thailand Elite card to be introduced, of course members of the old scheme will be welcome to apply for a "nominal" fee

You are an optimistic sort, aren't you?

I doubt it. The whole Elite card company is a reminder of the Thaksin years. It was a huge failure. The sales numbers were tiny. I think they have every good reason to trash this program completely. However, that is obviously not fair to the current holders.

Jingthing, the new lot are making rather a habit of rehashing MrT's ideas (education, wellfare, economic stimulation package...) maybe they'll be a new Abhisit inspired card, coming soon, as Southpeel reckoned.

Why do they have good reason to trash the card? - because they don't like MrT? This reflects on trust in the Thai government, not a single person or company. However it was set up, it was and is percieved as a government issued card (we are talking about visas here, not pizzas) and must be protected, or cardholders suitably 'looked-after' - you can't just 'steal' a million baht (times 2500 - some expenses) and turn your back on the mess. This may be the Thai way, but Abhisit and his lot were supposed to symbolize a new respectable government...

I hope for the sake of the cardholders and the government that this is 'amicably' handled.

I still find it shocking that anybody with the smallest knowledge of this country would hand over a million baht to a Singapore account (if that's true) and expect the Thais to honour it; they honour nothing other than their own personal wallet.

I also have been an Elite member for many satisfying years. Have contacted member serviced to express my concerns following receipt of this thread. The girl on the other end of the phone informed me the card is temporarily suspended (visa renewal) until the new government approves the scheme which they have already sanctioned. There doesn't seem to be a great issue, the OP seems to be over reacting, the Thai government has much to loose if the scheme gets dissolved.

As the subject has propped up I would like to agree with Carlmichael. I believe I have had my returns and more with the membership. I play, probably too much golf, but I dont care, a free Spa afterwards, I frequently travel in/out the country using free limousine service (door to door) and no queue waiting at the airport. There is much more, but I wont go on about it. I am in no way trying to sell this to anyone, it suits me and I am sure it has been beneficial to many other members. Of-course there is an element of risk, isn't there with everything. If you dont like it dont indulge yourself into it but please stop winging on about how big a mistake it is, coz your wrong. If it goes tits up now, which im sure it wont (bets welcome from the boo boys) I have had many satisfying years with it. It would make a dent in my lifestyle to see it go, but hey s£££ happens. I would feel for the guys who have just signed up, but as it has been mentioned several times throughout this thread, their big boys, they know the risks., come on you can loose alot more meeting wee Noi from Korat who appears to be the light in your dim life.

PS if it does go all wrong anybody want to buy a nice 4 bedroom house on the beach :o

......that anybody with the smallest knowledge of this country would hand over a million baht to a Singapore account (if that's true) and expect the Thais to honour it; they honour nothing other than their own personal wallet.

Well, saying this explains that the person making such statements is either a bit bitter about something concerning this country or doesn't have any genuine knowledge about it's people!

Believe certainly not all are the same and certainly there are honest and hardworking people as there are touts and thieves in ANY country of the world!

To be fair!

Edited by Samuian

Interesting!

We suddenly have 2 Newbies - "carlmichael" and "naturelover" giving ringing endorsements of the Elite Card or claiming it has not failed.

If the 5 year Visa benefit is not renewed, or even if the whole scheme is cancelled, it will have infinitessimal impact on Thailands' reputation: There are apparently some 2,500 Cards issued - many of which were "freebies" as a PR stunt when it was launched - I would hazard a guess that perhaps 1,500 people actually purchased the Card.

So far as I am aware Thailand has no provision for a "Class Action Suit" and even if it has, a group of 1,500 is not going to move the heavens.

Patrick

EDIT:

Now 3 with "sneds" contribution.

As he says :

"I believe I have had my returns and more with the membership."

This is exactly why the scheme is a failure and unsustainable - Members receiving benefits in excess of their Membership costs.

The real world name for this is Ponzi Scam.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Hi All:

I have been a member for about 2 years - but only heard of the SNAFU - through Thai Visa. Thai Elite just helped us with the 90 day notification in early Jan 2009.

The organization that runs it is semi govt (semi-private). Behind the scenes - internal politics - it is probably the worst of both worlds. The people who interface with members, seem to do everything in their power to make life easy for us.

- For members who signed up when the exchange rate was 40/US$ - the 1M THB came out to US$25,000. Except for a few property developers, business owners, it was a substantial chunk of change for a lot of individuals. There may be a few members, who also partook in the 1M Baht dinner at Lebua...but by far I think they are in the minority.

Some of us just came across the program, and made a decision at the time - seeing it as an effort by the Govt to reach out to foreigners. Naturally, those who already had 10 years living experience in Thailand when it was rolled out - looked at it skeptically. Those who saw it for the 1st time - particularly from overseas myself included - saw a govt supported program, and had little reason to suspect it. I suppose 2 years later, many events later, we're all a bit wiser.

I looked at both Malaysia and Thailand...at the time - Thailand looked a lot better. 6 months later, there were rule changes in both countries...and Malaysia suddenly looked better.

In terms of whether it is value for money;

The earlier member contracts were not well thought out. Early members have unlimited spa access, unlimited golf access. There are people who literally take advantage of it everyday... and probably have recouped 50%+ of their investment.

The early member contracts also mention a refund of the investment - after 10 years, if the market value is less than the original price etc.

Once a year annual physicals.

Unlimited airport limo transfers for international flights.

5 year visa.

The govt office assistance is somewhat hyped - the cynic would say - if they really do have the access, they should use it to secure their own future. On the other hand, it has been invaluable for us (cutting through simple red tape) in getting settled in to the country.

The people who will be hardest hit - will be those that bought into the program, currently living overseas, intending to move here in the future and have yet to avail of any services.

Risk wise, it looked no worse than buying an off plan unfinished condo in Thailand, UAE... or a club membership in the US, where the club declares bankruptcy. In the UAE, the govt announced freehold property buyer's visas - which are all on hold now. Billions invested.

I've been pretty happy with Thai Elite - so far, but wouldn't endorse it to anyone signing up, now, at full price. Hopefully, this scare like other things so far is more bark than bite.....

Even if the program was stable - buying in today, with the increased price and FX impact, reduced benefits, incessant rethinking of the program - cannot bode well for the future of any organization.

......that anybody with the smallest knowledge of this country would hand over a million baht to a Singapore account (if that's true) and expect the Thais to honour it; they honour nothing other than their own personal wallet.

Well, saying this explains that the person making such statements is either a bit bitter about something concerning this country or doesn't have any genuine knowledge about it's people!

Believe certainly not all are the same and certainly there are honest and hardworking people as there are touts and thieves in ANY country of the world!

To be fair!

Thanks for your mature input...

I worked here as one of my 35 territories as an international development manager (based out of London) for 10 years, working directly (Palace, Channel 7...), through distributors and local agents. I've lived here for 6 years, working in companies (SCCC) and education (Chula). In all my international business experience I've never come across a worse group (for business) than Thias, particularly Bangkok high-so sorts who do exactly as they wish, breaking every business moral, agreement and law at their whim - with fellow Thais or foreigners.

I would NEVER trust one of these Bangkok hi-so, mp, land owning over-egoed scammers. Experience has taught me so, maybe your idealic life on Samui has taught you otherwise...

The few posts from elite card holders seem reasonable, if a little marketinglike, and I hope for the sake of trust in the government and foreign investment (though my thoughts are that this scheme adds very little to business investment), especially at this important time when business investment / tourist attracting is particularly difficult, that the scheme is honoured.

When will the time come when they just shoot themselves in the foot too many times?

Interesting!

We suddenly have 2 Newbies - "carlmichael" and "naturelover" giving ringing endorsements of the Elite Card or claiming it has not failed.

If the 5 year Visa benefit is not renewed, or even if the whole scheme is cancelled, it will have infinitessimal impact on Thailands' reputation: There are apparently some 2,500 Cards issued - many of which were "freebies" as a PR stunt when it was launched - I would hazard a guess that perhaps 1,500 people actually purchased the Card.

So far as I am aware Thailand has no provision for a "Class Action Suit" and even if it has, a group of 1,500 is not going to move the heavens.

Patrick

EDIT:

The real world name for this is Ponzi Scam. :D:):D This is funny! :o

As he says :

This is exactly why the scheme is a failure and unsustainable - Members receiving benefits in excess of their Membership costs.

Patrick

EDIT:

As he says :

Patrick

Dont agree with you Patrick. Most of the benefits I receive ie Golf, Spa etc etc is at no cost to Thailand Elite. The golf clubs, restaurants, Spa's that have agreements with the scheme are hoping guys like myself bring along business compatriots, friends etc you get the picture, who have to pay.

Where is everyone getting the "FAILURE" from

Whats being a Newbie got to do with anything, I receive emails from Thai Visa with news updates, this topic concerns me so I give some input, I dont have to comment on things that dont concern me, please keep on topic.

Where is everyone getting the "FAILURE" from

It is obviously a failure. The ratio of projected sales of the card to actual sales of the card is astronomic. When you launch a product and hardly anyone buys it, for years, it is a failure.

It is also a POLITICAL failure. The program has Thaksin's legacy all over it. Look at how the wind is blowing. Thaksin has faded and it is becoming clearer he is not coming back.

Edited by Jingthing

Look, I am not here to provoke anyone. All I am saying is that I have been satisfied with this membership. I understand all the concerns about this visa issue as it affects myself as a member.

I am definitely not here to put a "rosey" or any kind of "PR." what will I get out of it? I am just another member who is equally concerned about what is happening. But I for one have trust in the organization because I believe that if the government doesn't take care of their members, the extent of the damage for the members would be too great, which of course would destroy the image of Thailand even more. In addition, the new government has already shown their intention of supporting this program as I posted below.

Therefore, I prefer to remain calm and be patient instead of lashing out and concluding to assumptions.

Fast_Back_on_Track.pdf

thanks for the article.

It really explains well that the Abhisit and the current government has said absolutely nothing in direct support of keeping this money-losing Ponzi scheme going.

Nice of thailandelite magazine to throw his photo up and quote his airport closure and tourism revival remarks as some sort of ringing endorsement for their particular cause... support by proxy I suppose, but there's nothing that he verbally stated supporting keeping Thailand Elite going.

Do they produce this sort of dishonest, disingenuous hype regularly?

I completely agree with those two statements even they are newbies, they probably got better things to do (make $ or enjoy their quality time here) than filling forums with often unqualified and pessimistic comments as others do. I myself got hardly enough time to follow up and comment my thoughts here even I am very much willing to share my experiences to help others...

a friend of mine signed up just recently and paid 1.5 mio. baht. He is never staying longer than a few weeks most a month each time. He doesn't need the visa benefit. He wants to expand his business which includes the more healthy people and clients in TH. The elite program promises to help making contacts, arranging meetings, translation, contracts, etc. that was his reason to join. I believe it will return his investment very soon.

I guess he could afford to pay the golf, the spa and also the limo from and to the airport as well. He bought a condo which didn't need any special privilege either, anyone of us can do it on our name legally..

I also believed under certain circumstances with elite card it would be possible to own land, is it not true?

I guess it's as they say 'temporary suspended until approval' and all is hot smoke or how you say...

That the member fee is paid to a Singapore account is strange, but probably because it's a private company? But then how can it involve visa regulations if it's private operated?

Many comments in this and other forum are inappropriate, with this or other topics. Which creates traffic good for sponsoring the page but a disadvantage for readers to follow up and keep track. For example when I read about the thai ATM and Bank Account scams, too many people just tell things they hear somewhere or think of, even one could just browse the banks homepage and get the real facts within seconds!

I rethink my comments well before I post them, if they really are a benefit for the forum. Many comments show bitterness. I know TH sucks many times if you stay for years and get involved more than a tourist, as well for me, but most of us are here of free will and back home it wouldn't be much better or other things would suck which go smoother here. Can't have it all.

Carlmichael

......I prefer to remain calm and be patient instead of lashing out and concluding to assumptions.....

I also have been an Elite member for many satisfying years. Have contacted member serviced to express my concerns following receipt of this thread. The girl on the other end of the phone informed me the card is temporarily suspended (visa renewal) until the new government approves the scheme which they have already sanctioned. There doesn't seem to be a great issue, the OP seems to be over reacting, the Thai government has much to loose if the scheme gets dissolved.

As the subject has propped up I would like to agree with Carlmichael. I believe I have had my returns and more with the membership. I play, probably too much golf, but I dont care, a free Spa afterwards, I frequently travel in/out the country using free limousine service (door to door) and no queue waiting at the airport. There is much more, but I wont go on about it. I am in no way trying to sell this to anyone, it suits me and I am sure it has been beneficial to many other members. Of-course there is an element of risk, isn't there with everything. If you dont like it dont indulge yourself into it but please stop winging on about how big a mistake it is.....