Thailand Elite Program Is Dying! Special Entry Visa Suspended!

I think it is inevitable that the Elite card will die a death eventually. It is politically repugnant to many Thai politicians and bureacrats because it came from Thaksin and bypasses normal immigration rules. It was supposed to be a money spinner but the demand has been less than 10% of what Thaksin projected. I am not sure what is happening now but logically the immigration privileges will be phased out. Most of those who could afford a card and live in thailand most of the year have work permits and don't need the elite card. Those who dont live in Thailand mainly don't need it either as they work somewhere else and can get transit or tourist visas. A small percentage needed it because they have money to live here full time and don't work and are too young for a retirement visa. I knew a few people who bought these things despite the fact they could have easily qualified for PR which costs about 200,000 baht and can't be cancelled except for criminal convictions. I suppose it was a short cut and appealed to sense of vanity. It was obvious at the beginning that it was poorly thought out and that many of the privileges would be defaulted on. Land ownership, which was touted by thaksin as one of the biggest selling points, was cancelled almost before it began. I don't really have much sympathy to those who took leave of their common sense and let their vanity get the better of them and bought this thing.

Yes land the land ownership offer "evaporated " very quickly - people should have

seen way back then that the people behind this Company didnt really have the clout in Thailand

to keep their promises ..... :o

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently became a member and received my 5 year visa without any hassel (about 3 weeks ago). So far they seem to deliver what thet have promissed.

Seems that the recent issue is just an official confirmation needed every time there is a change of gouvernment. So unless they surprise us all and decline the current policy, no need to panic just yet.

There are absolutely no reasonable explenation why they should decline the current program. The latest information that they are now voiding all visa fees for the next few months is a step in the softening of visa policy to attract more tourists. So why should they distroy their reputation by cancelling the SE visa offered by Thai Elite. Wouldn't make sense. Thai Elite is not Mr. Taksins company! He only supported it after it started...

The implementation of the 15 day rule crossing over land is to reduce the amount of "free loaders" in this country. Who do you think leave the most behind, the guys in Pattaya driving up to Cambodia every month or the members of Thai Elite? It's all about money unless you where ever in any doubt...

Mr. H.

This is slightly off-topic, but I am curious, not being an "Elite" and not having studied up on the program:

What class visa does the program provide? Non-O? Or is it a variation on the extension of stay? Do you have to do 90-day reports? Does it include a re-entry permit (either single or multiple)?

Perhaps you could scan the relevant pages of your passport and post it here?

The Elite membership gives you a "Special Enty" 5 year multiple entry visa. You have to register at Immigration every 90 days as all "non immigrants" in the coutry. The fee every 90 days is 1900 baht (not covered by Thai Elite)...

Hope this answers your question.

Mr. H.

As this is my second post you might find it more credible...

Frankly, no, it isn't. :D:o

After contacting Thailand Elite customer service they gave me the below reply in writing:

"Please kindly be confirmed that our 5 years multiple entry visa policy still remain same."

Please post a scanned copy of this "in writing" updated change from what the OP produced and posted OR a news link that says Abhisit and the government have approved extending this visa aspect of the Ponzi scam.

YES, they have a clause saying that they can cancel or alter their policy if gouvernment policy changes etc. But in the case they can no longer fulfill their promisses they will also refund you according to how much you have used your membership.

Any ideas on just how they go about calculating those figures? I'm sure they are very creative and could easily rival the charges some unscrupulous landlords use to keep entire rent deposits.

After I had recently paid my member fee I found that some of the benefits was different that what I had understood by the sales staff

Please share with the rest of us just precisely what they lied about to you during their sales pitch to you for the Ponzi scheme. Doesn't say much for their credibility.

I don't intend to post any of my private e-mails on internet...

The amount is calculated according to how many services you have used. Spa, golf, limo etc... and I assume visa services as well (fees etc)...

When I signed up I was under the impression that they give you Gold status with Royal Orchid Plus for life... however this is only for 2 years unless you travel enough with Star Alliance to keep your Gold status... Was offered a full refund as I was not informed about this not beeing for lifetime as everything else... however desided to stay on...

Mr. H

For my self and I guess many others, Thai Elite is not about calculating if you can save money on it or not... It's about conveniance! Not having to do visa runs, renawals of non-imm every year outside the country, not having to read forums like this every week to see if there are changes in policy... spa and golf is just a bonus... if you are a heavy user then great value, but really just a nice thing to have...

If it turns out that visa benefits are cancelled then call me an idiot for vasting my money... but until then... I'm enjoying the conveniance and pampering every day and don;t regret a second about buying a membership...

(I actually joined this forum in the first place to get info about Thai Elite... and what I found confirmed that they have been around long enough not to be a scam and they have delivered what they promissed for many years already... some benefits have chnaged over the years but do not affect those who signed up in the beginning, they still enjoy what they where offered when they signed up... changes are only for new members)

Mr. H

For my self and I guess many others, Thai Elite is not about calculating if you can save money on it or not... It's about conveniance! Not having to do visa runs, renawals of non-imm every year outside the country, not having to read forums like this every week to see if there are changes in policy... spa and golf is just a bonus... if you are a heavy user then great value, but really just a nice thing to have...

If it turns out that visa benefits are cancelled then call me an idiot for vasting my money... but until then... I'm enjoying the conveniance and pampering every day and don;t regret a second about buying a membership...

(I actually joined this forum in the first place to get info about Thai Elite... and what I found confirmed that they have been around long enough not to be a scam and they have delivered what they promissed for many years already... some benefits have chnaged over the years but do not affect those who signed up in the beginning, they still enjoy what they where offered when they signed up... changes are only for new members)

Mr. H

Ummmm

You joined this Forum on 4 December, 2008 so assuming you read all about the Elite Card here on your first day and made the decision to enrol immediately you have enjoyed the "convenience and pampering" for exactly 43 days.

I really do wonder why so many Newbies are suddenly endorsing the Card!

Patrick

" The Elite membership gives you a "Special Enty" 5 year multiple entry visa. You have to register at Immigration every 90 days as all "non immigrants" in the coutry. The fee every 90 days is 1900 baht (not covered by Thai Elite)... "

Hold on a sec, are you telling us, well those of us who have chosen not to take advantage of this wonderful offer, that all you are only getting is a 90 day visa and you STILL have to report to Imigration + pay them a fee !!!

You can get a non B in Australia for 5 years now I believe.

Wherever you are in the world, open your windows and you will hear me laughing here in Pattaya.

I have a TOPS supermarket card and I reckon that I get better benifits with that .

" The Elite membership gives you a "Special Enty" 5 year multiple entry visa. You have to register at Immigration every 90 days as all "non immigrants" in the coutry. The fee every 90 days is 1900 baht (not covered by Thai Elite)... "

Hold on a sec, are you telling us, well those of us who have chosen not to take advantage of this wonderful offer, that all you are only getting is a 90 day visa and you STILL have to report to Imigration + pay them a fee !!!

Wherever you are in the world, open your windows and you will hear me laughing here in Pattaya.

I have a TOPS supermarket card and I reckon that I get better benifits with that .

What really makes Thailand Elite look incredibly poor value for money

is when you compare it to the APEC Business Travel Card ( available to Australian

passport holders ).

You pay only $200 ( 5000 baht - big difference to 1 million or 1.5 million :o ) every 3 years and for that you get

1. 90 day visas - same as Elite card holders now.

2. Entrance through the Diplomatic Channel at the airport - like the Elite Card holders

3. BUT on top of that - also no more visa fees and similar right to use Diplomatic Channel at the airport

in 17 other countries including Vietnam, China etc.

That is what I call value for money - and I never have to deal with

Thai Immigration - only The Deaprtment of Immigration in Australia.

I have been following this thread with interest. It amazes me the resentment towards Elite card holders. Why is this? I can only imagine there is a wee bit of the green eyed monster creeping in somewhere. Instead of trawling other threads in search of saving themselves a couple of thousand baht on their next visa run they feel the need to contribute negativety to this discussion and abuse the more fortunate in life. Keep it coming chaps every time I hear it it reinforces the visions I have of living in this wonderful country and having to worry about where my next visa run will be too and if my teaching English fees will be enough to pay the 50msq condo rental or the if my wee inapropriate bar on the corner of soi 6 is making enough money to allow me to go on my visa run or when is the police coming to check my WP.

Just thought I would put in my two pennies worth for the Elite amonst us. Do you realy think its going to make much of a diference to the more fortunate in life, a slight inconvienience. Im sorry but you should have tried harder at the school.

For all the non Elite card holders who have been supportive........thanks I hope the visa re-entry. Ounter at the airport opens up soon.

Gents I have to go now for a Sunday round of golf at a top international golf club followed by a 2 hour massage and im sure I booked the best table at a world class resturaunt (ill need to Check with my secretary)

Appologies if there is several grammar errors in this message its not ideal typing on an iPhone in the back of a 5 series (M class) BMW.

Im also sorry if I sound a bit pompous but there is a rather lot of chaps on here that feel the need to force their poverty on others.

Wow, glad I never bought this. I came close several times and I know quite a few people who have this. It is safe to say that many of TE members are not people who blow their nose with 1,000,000 baht, rather people who considered it an investment and something akin to buying a permanent visa. They were told they could renew it every five years forever, and also that they would have VIP shuttle services to and from the airport as well as country club membership etc.

The way it was pitched it seemed quite a good deal.

I have been following this thread with interest. It amazes me the resentment towards Elite card holders. Why is this?

The same reason poor people all over the world talk badly about rich people: bitter jealousy and envy.

No resentment on my part....but just a wonderfully warm inner feeling

of self satisfaction to know I was born with enough common

sense to be able to recognise the difference between a SCAM and

a sound business proposition ..... :o

Wow, glad I never bought this. I came close several times and I know quite a few people who have this. It is safe to say that many of TE members are not people who blow their nose with 1,000,000 baht, rather people who considered it an investment and something akin to buying a permanent visa. They were told they could renew it every five years forever, and also that they would have VIP shuttle services to and from the airport as well as country club membership etc.

The way it was pitched it seemed quite a good deal.

And dont forget the land ownership...........

They promised me I would be able to own land in Thailand :o

Welcome to Thailand!

As many many many people have said across every post, Contracts, Laws, etc are not respected by Thai people or the Government, especially when it comes to foreigners.

I am still puzzled as to why people would buy any property here, yes you can own it now, but what would happen tomorrow????????????????

Some have said to start class action law suit-GOOD LUCK!

If you think a foreigner can sue Thai Government and win-think again.

Thailand has been developed and build by foreign investment and yet we are always wrong, always ripped off, always discriminated against in regards to everything.

If i marry Thai, and take her back to Australia, within months she would have all the benefits of the citizen and mind you government does not ask her to put any money in the bank and all this kind of stupidity, but if i marry Thai and decide to stay in Thailand-well you all know the story!

So no surprise here about the program.

Be Smart-do not invest any money in the country where government can not be trusted or held responsible for anything.

DO NOT BUY PROPERTY, DO NOT INVEST IN ANY PROGRAMS, DO NOT INVEST IN THE STOCK MARKET, DO NOT EVEN KEEP MONEY IN THE BANK(as half of the time, you will not even be paid interest, as it happen to me, i was told because i am a foreigner-i am not entitled to any interest and yet the contract clearly states the amount of interest to be paid), but again start legal action against Thai Bank-chances of winning is less the the lottery.

Hhahahahahahahaahahaha.......stop it..........your making me warm and fuzzy inside....oh and out of interest are you prepared to enlighten everyone reading this topic the benefits you receive WITHOUT making yourself look like a fool?

Buying property here and investing in a business has nothing to do with the Elite program.

The Elite program was a gray area from the beginning and I wonder why anyone bought into it.

It's like a privatization of state policy - where else could this last for more than a few years?

You're a fool if you're not buying property here if you stay for a few years or more.

Buying property here and investing in a business has nothing to do with the Elite program.

The Elite program was a gray area from the beginning and I wonder why anyone bought into it.

It's like a privatization of state policy - where else could this last for more than a few years?

You're a fool if you're not buying property here if you stay for a few years or more.

Why am i any more of a fool by buying and owning a property in Sydney

and using the rent from that to pay my rent here instead of owning here

where I could only ever stay under some kind of visa ? :D

I feel more comfortable with the property ownership laws in Australia

where the true value the property is easily able to be determined in

a transparent market - and dont tell me for one minute Bangkok

is transparent market :o .

Buying property here and investing in a business has nothing to do with the Elite program. The Elite program was a gray area from the beginning and I wonder why anyone bought into it. It's like a privatization of state policy - where else could this last for more than a few years?

Why am i any more of a fool by buying and owning a property in Sydney

and using the rent from that to pay my rent here instead of owning here

where I could only ever stay under some kind of visa ? :D

I feel more comfortable with the property ownership laws in Australia

where the true value the property is easily able to be determined in

a transparent market - and dont tell me for one minute Bangkok

is transparent market :o .

you are of course not a fool Midas because you have stated a valid reason which is important for you. but in that context i would like to add that for others who buy or build their home the transparency of the property market as well as the "true value" is completely irrelevant. they buy or build because they want to live in a home that not only matches their demands and are able to make any changes without depending on a landlord.

member naturelover has brought about all the bad pr for his own program on this forum with the title of the thread and the opening post.

the only person trying to kill his elite program is naturelover himself, i am sure after the original post he understands that with each new government in such a banana republic country as thailand that each and every politicised program be it the design centre, otop or elite will have to be endorsed by the new cabinet

once its endorsed by the democrat party then who is left to endorse such a program for naturelover

the army endorsed it, obviously any taksin party will endorse it and now it looks like the democrats will endorse it, so its a clean sweep for the op

why all the tears?

The ones who are soooooooo anxiously awaiting the end of TE must go crazy by now :D It's a long long end. Still not finished though :D

Barking at the program since 5 years, and still not tired??? :o

Keep barking for nothing :D

I love Thailand Elite :D

(no other comments, see my previous posts about this subject)

you are of course not a fool Midas because you have stated a valid reason which is important for you. but in that context i would like to add that for others who buy or build their home the transparency of the property market as well as the "true value" is completely irrelevant. they buy or build because they want to live in a home that not only matches their demands and are able to make any changes without depending on a landlord.

Naam when you talk about a home ( i.e. a house as opposed to a condo ) - that requires

me to have a partner to be able to own it legally which I don have.

Yes if i could buy land to buy a house that would be entirely different

- but I am not allowed to.

Mr. H

Ummmm

You joined this Forum on 4 December, 2008 so assuming you read all about the Elite Card here on your first day and made the decision to enrol immediately you have enjoyed the "convenience and pampering" for exactly 43 days.

I really do wonder why so many Newbies are suddenly endorsing the Card!

Patrick

Have been here for almoust 10 years now and followed the forum for a few years, not counting... recently signed up to download an attachment... usually don't have much pleasure from posting as it seems most of the info is from peoples opinion instead of actual fact.

Have been aware of the Elite card since it started but didn'f find it interesting in the beginning due to the annual fees etc.

Mr. H.

Yes, as this card is not meant for permanent residence you still need to do the extention every 90 days. I believe most members are frequent travellers anyway and the 90 day attendance at Immigration is therefore no issue. This is at least the case for me.

Again, most people don't choose this option for saving money on visa... so who cares if it's cheeper do get your non-imm every year... By the way, if you are not married, not retired, not working in Thailand and don't have your own company here... on what grounds do you get a non-imm visa?

Looking very much forward to see how many of you contine to post on this subject if it turns out that everything has been false alarm and the program continues as normal...

Maybe if you spent some of the time blogging your opinions on forums doing something constructive you might afford to become a member yourself and avoid all the hassel of visa runs and paperwork everytime you need to renew a visa.

When I got my 5 year SE I brought a copy of my passport, my Thai Elite card and a beutiful lady in a golden dress spent 15 minutes with my passport at Immigration. After that they drove me home in a BMW 7-series all free of charge... who is counting the bahts? Did you ever hear the expression "time is money"? I prefer to spend as less time as possible with these issues and Thai Elite offeres me exactly that (so far).

Can't hear you laughing as my Bose noise cancelling is working perfectly. Hope you had a wonderful weekend in Pattaya. Enjoy the luxury meat products in Tops.

Mr. H.

"Perhaps the most important and attractive benefits attached to a Thailand Elite Membership are the enhanced immigration and visa privileges. Membership confers the right to stay in the Kingdom, with special entry visa as well as extendable 90-day stays without the usual need to leave the country.

Members will be granted a special entry visa when applying at any Royal Thai Embassy, Royal Thai Consulate General, or at any Thai Immigration Bureau at Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket Airport.

*This special entry visa is subject to the Thai Immigration Bureau's approval."

I believe that's been their standard blurb there for quite some time, Jai Dee.

Has there been an actual news update on the website (available only to members) regarding the suspension of the visa?

If so, could the OP or other Elite member please post it?

this is the offical letter for thailand elite members - Please see attached PDF flie

As I suspect this letter doesn't even come from Thai Elite I have forwarded it to them to ask if it is genuine... awating reply...

Mr. H.

Ok so if you are a foreigner and have bought a property-that makes you smart! Let me run something by you

1. What would you do if next month Thai Government decides that foreigners can no longer own property(condo)?

a. Choice one-sell fast and hope some rich Thai or stupid Foreigner who is not aware will buy

b. Choice two, kiss your condo and money good bye and start blogging how bad the government is.

2. You bought a house with your lovely Thai wife and of course the house is in her name and of course she loves you and wants to spend the rest of her life with you-so she must be the "good" girl

a. Choice one- "good girls" do not date or marry foreigners as it is a shame to the family to do so, so the chances are you married a not so "good" girl with "interesting" past-which means if one day she meets someone with "bigger" hearts then yours-you loose house and of course your loving wife. Before you start to respond how foolish i am, have a reality check and check the facts of this happening every day.

b. Choice two, even though you own that house and land and have made it how you want with your lovely darling wife-you never own it-she does.

So bottom line is, any smart, intelligent, business minded person will not invest in the country with no stability and and no protection what so ever.

Of course if all you have is $100K and this is the only place where you can afford to buy property then yes go for it-American Australian and every other country dream to own property, but if you use business sense, you would invest the money in the country where you property not only secured but also increases in value every year.

Should you want to have your home in a certain way, spend a few days and find one that you like-and there you go, should you want to have some change-move out and find a new one.

Any business man doing "good"business in Thailand rent his/her property and uses rent as a rightoff on tax.

As for all the comments by the card holders -about how great it is, and how rich they are etc.-Sorry to say, but you people sound like complete morons.

"I was driven home in BMW 7 Series" my Bose sound system"-WOW that just proves that you have never ever owned anything luxury and i highly doubt have any money. So if this the only way you can feel "rich" good for you!

I owned BMW 325CI Convertible Coup at the age of 25, so being driven home in BMW is really not such a great achievement.

1 Miilion baht to be driven home in BMW-thats pretty sad.-MAY BE rent one and drive home yourself.

How can any of you praise Thailand and carry on, how good it is?

Visa rules have been changed so many times, that even lawyers do not know all the rules. Ownership rules have changed so many times, that noone knows the rules. Wake up, foreigners in Thailand are nothing but an ATM Machine to government, and Thai people.

I have been living in Thailand for past 5 years and have many friends who have been here for 15 years, and every single one of us hardly have 1 good thing to say about Thailand and before you jump to conclusions-all of us are running succesful business and then only time we loose money is when we try to do business in Thailand with Thai's

I am yet to hear 1 happy story of doing business in Thailand with Thai's from anyone

and every politicised program be it the design centre, otop or elite will have to be endorsed by the new cabinet

and now it looks like the democrats will endorse it

So far in this thread there is no evidence to indicate what you have stated.

There's been double-speak and innuendo and conjecture, but absolutely zilch in specificity.

Do you have some new outside information that the Dems "look like they will endorse it"?

Edited by sriracha john

Have been aware of the Elite card since it started but didn'f find it interesting in the beginning due to the annual fees etc.

Try and keep your story straight. The Elite card didn't have annual fees in the beginning. They were a much later add-on.

He's a Troll.But a wanna be Elite troll.

None I know (myself included )with the means to by the Thai Elite card,did it.Simple common sense.If you think you have to show your wealth,and being chaffered in a Beemer is the experience of your life,then the Thai Elite card is right for you.Defending it is an accessory. :o

and every politicised program be it the design centre, otop or elite will have to be endorsed by the new cabinet

and now it looks like the democrats will endorse it

So far in this thread there is no evidence to indicate what you have stated.

There's been double-speak and innuendo and conjecture, but absolutely zilch in specificity.

Do you have some new outside information that the Dems "look like they will endorse it"?

we shall see if naturelover reacted too readily to a change of government which will always put politicised programmes like elite on hold until approved by the new cabinet or whether the new government plan to cancel the program

we shall await the press releases from the TAT etc over the next few days

my money is on cabinet approval

whats your bet?

Thaksin has faded and it is becoming clearer he is not coming back.

I agree. Thaksin is yesterdays man. Or at least I hope so.

I also had a beautiful daydream just now: I was walking down a street in a big city somewhere, when I suddenly stumbled over a beggar, dressed in an expensive but dirty suit, sitting there rattling his tin cup of change. And guess who the beggar was...

Som nam na...