Thailand Elite Program Is Dying! Special Entry Visa Suspended!

In their daily "Friends of Thailand" spot to promote Thailand Elite Card the NBT Newsline programme today (Friday 23/01/09) interviewed a "Sales Manager" of Raimon land who said he and his parents had Elite cards because of the visa that allowed them to stay in Thailand for 5 years without "visa runs". This presumably means that the visa is still a part of the service provided by Elite Card.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In their daily "Friends of Thailand" spot to promote Thailand Elite Card the NBT Newsline programme today (Friday 23/01/09) interviewed a "Sales Manager" of Raimon land who said he and his parents had Elite cards because of the visa that allowed them to stay in Thailand for 5 years without "visa runs". This presumably means that the visa is still a part of the service provided by Elite Card.

The first time I ever heard that a work permit could be attached

to one these 5 year visas ? The plot thickens............. :o

Get a non imm O (in the west) based on friends and family. Get an ED (in the west) based on learning anything, from scuba to Thai culture too almost anything...

Only that in my experience in the USA, I found no consulates willing to offer anything remotely like this.

If you qualify under the provision highlighted in the initial quote, you need to do a more thorough search. I know first hand of US consulates that will issue 1-year multi-entry Non-O Immigrant visas if you have the proper documentation. :o

Get a non imm O (in the west) based on friends and family. Get an ED (in the west) based on learning anything, from scuba to Thai culture too almost anything...

Only that in my experience in the USA, I found no consulates willing to offer anything remotely like this.

If you qualify under the provision highlighted in the initial quote, you need to do a more thorough search. I know first hand of US consulates that will issue 1-year multi-entry Non-O Immigrant visas if you have the proper documentation. :o

That is true. But not LA, DC, NY, or Chicago. Some honorary consulates will.

Also B visas with a properly written letter on company letterhead.

If you qualify under the provision highlighted in the initial quote, you need to do a more thorough search. I know first hand of US consulates that will issue 1-year multi-entry Non-O Immigrant visas if you have the proper documentation. :D

Somebody has done their homework...go to the head of the class :o

If you qualify under the provision highlighted in the initial quote, you need to do a more thorough search. I know first hand of US consulates that will issue 1-year multi-entry Non-O Immigrant visas if you have the proper documentation. :D

It's called been there done that. Even from one that is no longer open.

The first time I ever heard that a work permit could be attached

to one these 5 year visas ? The plot thickens............. :o

They will assist with all issues like Work Permits etc... this is part of the service they offer...

Which is just an other reason for becoming a member of Thai Elite... no need to do homework... (except when ones in a blue moon someone scares me with a story like this..)

Who is to say that these consulates will not change their policies too?

The non-immigrant O based on visiting friends/family is only issued by selected consulates as well... for how long nobody knows... more and more loopholes are closing and it becomes more and more difficult every year... Hopefully you are all elidgeble for a retirement visa by the time they get their visa policies stream lined... by that time you must have done many hours of "home work" to be able to stay here... then again, someone likes to make a sport out of it.

I don't normally make predictions regarding political outcomes. It's too easy to look foolish...
Funny how they are sure 100% it will be approved.... before it's approved...

So are you predicting it won't be approved?

I'm not predicting anything. I'm waiting to see what happens after their own letter said the visa was ending.

Funny how they are sure 100% it will be approved.... before it's approved. But hey, that's marketing.

Funny how so many people are sure 100% that the program will be shut down... Still waiting, and waiting and waiting... :o

I love Thailand Elite.

I'm not 100% sure of anything with this program. I'm just saying it's foolish for anyone to say they are 100% sure of anything where this card is concerned until everything is signed, sealed, and delivered...but then again, even that is no guarantee with this program as history has shown us, but at least it's something.

I'm glad, however, that you love Thailand Elite as I suppose it's good that someone does.

Edited by sriracha john

The non-immigrant O based on visiting friends/family is only issued by selected consulates as well... for how long nobody knows... more and more loopholes are closing and it becomes more and more difficult every year...

I think it highly unlikely that the rules would ever be changed so that people who have relatives in Thailand would be denied permission (visas) to visit them. I mean, this is just a basic visa category and nothing exotic or special or anything and what would be the purpose of such a change.

Do you predict that Thailand will do what Japan did at one time and forbit any foreigners from entering the country, and also barred any Japanese who happened to be overseas at the time from ever returning home :o

I think you are a little paranoid my friend.

There is no god. So stop worrying and enjoy your life.

I don't see a problem with trashing failed Thaksin programs. I do see a problem with promising customers a lifetime benefit and then taking it away. There really ought to be a lawsuit for members to recover the cost of the cards as the visa program was a huge portion of the benefit sold, for many, the only thing they were spending the money for. At one time I considered it, and the only reason I wanted it was the visa feature. I didn't really expect it to be honored for life, but that is what they at least implied. Thaksin may now be a wanted fugitive but at one time he represented the government of Thailand and put the reputation of the government of Thailand behind this card, even though it was administered by a private company (how convenient).

All Thais are cheeted by thaksin,

as they pay taxes, he didn't !

He took your million, over all millards from you !

As you like him, aske him to refound it !

I don't see a problem with trashing failed Thaksin programs. I do see a problem with promising customers a lifetime benefit and then taking it away. There really ought to be a lawsuit for members to recover the cost of the cards as the visa program was a huge portion of the benefit sold, for many, the only thing they were spending the money for. At one time I considered it, and the only reason I wanted it was the visa feature. I didn't really expect it to be honored for life, but that is what they at least implied. Thaksin may now be a wanted fugitive but at one time he represented the government of Thailand and put the reputation of the government of Thailand behind this card, even though it was administered by a private company (how convenient).

All Thais are cheeted by thaksin,

as they pay taxes, he didn't !

He took your million, over all millards from you !

As you like him, aske him to refound it !

Responding to your silly post. I never bought an elite card. I never liked Thaksin.

The non-immigrant O based on visiting friends/family is only issued by selected consulates as well... for how long nobody knows... more and more loopholes are closing and it becomes more and more difficult every year...

I think it highly unlikely that the rules would ever be changed so that people who have relatives in Thailand would be denied permission (visas) to visit them. I mean, this is just a basic visa category and nothing exotic or special or anything and what would be the purpose of such a change.

Do you predict that Thailand will do what Japan did at one time and forbit any foreigners from entering the country, and also barred any Japanese who happened to be overseas at the time from ever returning home :o

I think you are a little paranoid my friend.

There is no god. So stop worrying and enjoy your life.

OK, so now I'm the paraniod one :-)

Agree that they will not refuse visa for people with family... however the "friend" part I question. The only consulate I've found that issue a non-o for visiting friends is the one in Hull...

To be honest, there are so many ways to bypass the "system" that the qualification for entry to Thailand should be that if you are too stupid to not be able to find one then you should be permanently barred.

I know I'm on the inside so to speak as I live here but I and others offer a wealth of tried and trusted bona fide information that we didn't read on the back of a cornflake packet or hear 27th hand down the pub. Sure we chuck in our personal opinions but most decent guys here don't bullshit or just make crap up to look important.

As stated, I decided against an Elite card as I could double my money at that time for very little effort and as I was not really tied to Thailand then (no family) then I could just up sticks if the buggers made it too difficult.

I do and will continue to look for the easy routes and the cheapest routes, not just for myself but to share and to always provide an alternative view to the status quo when I feel the situation merits it. Discussion on Elite cards is one subject.

Personally, I think the visa thing was of interest to those who were wealthy enough but not seriously wealthy whilst the slightly better off probably wanted the perceived social status and connections they thought it would bring and the access to the ancillary benefits, which have been drastically curtailed. Thailand's answer ? raise the price. Classic TIT.

Edited by torrenova

OK, so now I'm the paraniod one :-)

Agree that they will not refuse visa for people with family... however the "friend" part I question. The only consulate I've found that issue a non-o for visiting friends is the one in Hull...

Or Glasgow, or Birmingham, or Liverpool, or Cardiff... Ohh hang on.. Thats ALL of them isnt it ??

Hull is just the most well known and best set up for postal apps, they all issue them.

Just heard on Thai news that Thailand Elite is bankrupt and its future will be decided within the next 2 weeks.

Apparently members may be able to keep their visas for 5 years but this isn't sure yet.

I hope this news isn't true for the sake of the people who bought this for the lifetime visa who do not think a million or two baht is chicken feed. If it is true, it sounds like you mean they are talking about allowing people to keep their CURRENT 5 year visas, as opposed to the lifetime renewal option. What would it cost anyone to allow people to keep visas they ALREADY have? That would be very cold to strip people of their current visas.

Edited by Jingthing

Do you predict that Thailand will do what Japan did at one time and forbid any foreigners from entering the country, and also barred any Japanese who happened to be overseas at the time from ever returning home

The Chinese did it also, and there was a war over it - which they lost.

Shall we bring back a tad bit of gunboat diplomacy? It worked to get the Japanese in compliance at that time - albeit reluctantly.

Edited by brahmburgers

Just heard on Thai news that Thailand Elite is bankrupt and its future will be decided within the next 2 weeks.

Apparently members may be able to keep their visas for 5 years but this isn't sure yet.

I hope this news isn't true for the sake of the people who bought this for the lifetime visa who do not think a million or two baht is chicken feed. If it is true, it sounds like you mean they are talking about allowing people to keep their CURRENT 5 year visas, as opposed to the lifetime renewal option. What would it cost anyone to allow people to keep visas they ALREADY have? That would be very cold to strip people of their current visas.

this thread is becoming a far more volatile rolarcoaster ride than the world markets

one day sunbelt asia say its ok

the next thai news say its not ok

who is right?

Maybe they lent the old vagabond Toxin some money, and he hasn't paid it back yet. :o

Apparently members may be able to keep their visas for 5 years, but this isn't sure yet.

Which Thai news please.

Front page of todays Bangkok Post, Elite is finished.

Edited by Crossy

Apparently members may be able to keep their visas for 5 years, but this isn't sure yet.

Which Thai news please.

It was mentioned on the TOC Channel this morning. I did not really catch it all. Something about a study into closing it down as it was losing so much money every year. Some sort of decision in 2 weeks.

Hopefully someone else saw it .