Good Vegetarian Restaurants

eek

There is no specific thread (that i can see) focusing on Vegetarian Restaurants and/or Jay food or restaurants offering a good and true selection of veggie/jay foods (as in not made wish meat stock or fish sauces etc). What i personally mean by veggie is no meat, including white meat, or fish, or derivatives. But dairy ok, and even lacto-ovo. Also l dont mean the true strict definition of Jay food, as would like to cover spicy food too

Would be great if people could give recommendations as well as price range ie: $, $$, $$$ ($=average 20-50baht per dish, $$ 60-100baht, $$$ = above 100 baht)

Adore Khun Churn for value and its new location. Particularly looking for something similar if possible.

My recommendations are:

Khun Churn. $-$$ http://www.khunchurn.th.gs/

Excellent Vegetarian buffet at lunchtimes for 80baht (including drinks). Can visit the buffet as many times as you wish. Regular menu too ($). Free Wifi. Coffee/tea/fruit shakes.

Lemon Tree -$

I usually go to the one on Huay Kaew Road (i believe there is another one around CMU..but not sure), 26/1 2 Huay Kaew Road (its a bit further up from KSK, past Orchid Hotel and across from the garage) Menu is not exclusively Veggie, but their veggie food is excellent (as well as the regular menu, so im told). Good value and good taste, although environment a bit sterile. Love the fresh lemon and orange juice also.

Khun Mae -$

Quick and easy food from the Tops Supermarket area of KSK. Particularly recommend the Khao Soy.

So, any recommendations? Tnx. :o

Edited by eek

It's horses for courses I guess but I gotta say Khun Mae in Tops serves possibly the worst jay food I've eaten anywhere in CM. On other threads I've always given the thumbs up to Tien Sieng, the Taiwanese-Thai veggie place at Prappoklao near CM Gate and I stand by that recommendation if you're looking for somewhere clean and cheap to eat khao raad during the day. Of an evening (or anytime for that matter) the Blue Diamond off Moon Muang soi 7 is always a good bet. Though its Thai veggie food is definitely tailored to western palates, it's always tasty, never overcooked (veggies are crispy and crunchy) and is served remarkably quickly irrespective of how busy the place is. What I also like about the Blue Diamond is that they are generally very accommodating of specific dietary requirements and while they don't always get it spot on you can usually order your dish with "none of this" and "more of that" if you desire.

Blue Diamond definitely recommended. It's on soi 9 btw.

Today I went for lunch at a veggie restaurant behind the Monk chat on the Wat Suan Dok premises. Never knew that you can eat the flowers of the bougainville, had it as a salad dok mai. Very good!

On the Suthep road coming from the moat and just before Wat Suan Dok there is another veggie restaurant. Also good, and just before that in a soi a third one. All three have good food. What the names of the restaurants are, not a clue. Just ask for ran ahan jay and you will be directed.

Oh and how about tomorrow, Eek?

Edited by Nienke

I agree Blue Diamond is very good, gets very busy though in the evenings at this time of year and they close early. May Kaidees near the Reggae Strip is good and also there is a vegetarian Indian very close to Blue Diamond (going further down on the right hand side) which is quite pleasant (called Grace or something)? They close even earlier though - 8PM.

Any more suggestions for Old City area?

Krupnik

x

There is no specific thread (that i can see) focusing on Vegetarian Restaurants and/or Jay food or restaurants offering a good and true selection of veggie/jay foods (as in not made wish meat stock or fish sauces etc). What i personally mean by veggie is no meat, including white meat, or fish, or derivatives. But dairy ok, and even lacto-ovo. Also l dont mean the true strict definition of Jay food, as would like to cover spicy food too

Would be great if people could give recommendations as well as price range ie: $, $, $$ ($=average 20-50baht per dish, $ 60-100baht, $$ = above 100 baht)

Adore Khun Churn for value and its new location. Particularly looking for something similar if possible.

My recommendations are:

Khun Churn. $-$ http://www.khunchurn.th.gs/

Excellent Vegetarian buffet at lunchtimes for 80baht (including drinks). Can visit the buffet as many times as you wish. Regular menu too ($). Free Wifi. Coffee/tea/fruit shakes.

Lemon Tree -$

I usually go to the one on Huay Kaew Road (i believe there is another one around CMU..but not sure), 26/1 2 Huay Kaew Road (its a bit further up from KSK, past Orchid Hotel and across from the garage) Menu is not exclusively Veggie, but their veggie food is excellent (as well as the regular menu, so im told). Good value and good taste, although environment a bit sterile. Love the fresh lemon and orange juice also.

Khun Mae -$

Quick and easy food from the Tops Supermarket area of KSK. Particularly recommend the Khao Soy.

So, any recommendations? Tnx. :o

Not sure what the name is but I go regularly [ especially after veggie fare--oops, sorry!] to a super clean, newish [ no more than 6 months] place on Wualai Road [ Saturday Walking market street]--about half way up, left side if going towards the moat--about 50 metres after Colonial Guesthouse. I like the range of dishes on show plus they will make stuff to order. I used to eat at the bottom of Propaklao Rd., near the market, but prefer this newer place [ it's also nearer for me].

Amazing, i was thinking of posting just this topic last night too!

Khun Churns must be one of the best of its kind anywhere in the world. If folk have not come across the benefits of wheatgrass juice, then try drinking it there after you've finished your food.

I agree that the restaurant behind monk chat in wat suan dok is excellent. Great food, great value, nice location.

One that's not been mentioned, and which is farang food is tianzin i think it's called. It's opposite the imperial mae ping hotel beer garden area. It's in a lovely garden setting.

That link to happycow.com will give posters plenty of choices, but it's nice to see what people specifically recommend.

I've read that there is an organic farmers' market at JJ Hobby market on wed and sat mornings. I still cannot find out exactly where this is, anyone know?

Perhaps this thread could include recommendations on where to buy organic produce around town.

Never knew that you can eat the flowers of the bougainville, had it as a salad dok mai.

Well that would explain a few things about the condition of my bougainville plants.. ..... ...

(Thought techincally those would be brightly colored 'bracts', not flowers.. The actual flowers are tiny.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Amazing, i was thinking of posting just this topic last night too!

Khun Churns must be one of the best of its kind anywhere in the world. If folk have not come across the benefits of wheatgrass juice, then try drinking it there after you've finished your food.

I agree that the restaurant behind monk chat in wat suan dok is excellent. Great food, great value, nice location.

One that's not been mentioned, and which is farang food is tianzin i think it's called. It's opposite the imperial mae ping hotel beer garden area. It's in a lovely garden setting.

That link to happycow.com will give posters plenty of choices, but it's nice to see what people specifically recommend.

I've read that there is an organic farmers' market at JJ Hobby market on wed and sat mornings. I still cannot find out exactly where this is, anyone know?

Perhaps this thread could include recommendations on where to buy organic produce around town.

At McKaen they sell organic vegetables on Monday and Friday.

Where in Mae Joe is the Rimping Supermarket?

Its not in Mae Jo ; its in Fa Ham.

Its on the 1001 going North about , I would guess, 1.5 / 2 kms N of the Superhighway at the first big intersection with the 3029. Just over the lights on the Left. Its in the middle of many other retail outlets and not easy to find the Entrance. But its there. I haven't mastered the art of inserting Google maps yet.

Pun Pun: a thousand star rating :o

Cheap, delicious organic vegetables and brown rice. The "super salad" with fruit and veggies is fantastic, especially with avocado dressing. The muslim salad is also so so good.

Tianzi has a fantastic brown rice salad, and beautiful decor.

Blue Diamond does have delicious food and good veggies, but you pay for the location. I love their avocado smoothies!

Aum, near Thapae Gate has delicious veggie burgers, fried pumpkin, and other fried veggies (on brown rice).

"Pun Pun: a thousand star rating" :o

Where exactly is Pun Pun please?

Behind the Monk chat on the Wat Suan Dok premises.

Enjoy your lunch. :D

edit: oops, attackkat beat me on that. :D

Edited by Nienke

Great replies and suggestions, thanks. :o

Would be great also if poss for some rough costs are given as I like to eat out regularly at the lower price end, and leave the higher price end for 'treats'.

I have to be frugal. :D

• 1 month later...

I went to A Taste From Heaven ($$) today, which is on Thapae Road opposite Krung Thai bank I think. We ordered 3 dishes - chili basil stir fry, prik khing & som tam - all were really delicious and if I hadn't been so full I would have eaten more... the staff were super friendly and the place is really clean and relaxing. They have a website with photos of all the dishes & prices - taste4heaven.com :o

Edited by popmybubble

Mai Kai Dee is better than most and not expensive, but it is not close to anything to make directions easy to understand. :o

Yeah, it's good - to find it come out of the Reggae Strip (aka Rasta Alley, where you find Roots Rock, Heaven Beach etc) and turn right! It's open later than the others like Blue Diamond and Grace Indian, I think until 9 or 9.30.

You can come out of there on two sides.. (Either Ratwithee Road or Ratchapakinai Road.. which is it?)

BTW, if directions are ever hard then just give the coordinates or the link to plug into Google Maps.. Nothing on this planet is ever hard to find these days, that's SO last century.

There are many Veggie Restaurants in my area, quite tasty and reasonable prices. To all may I suggest a visit to a Veggie Restaurant in your area, My BET is you will be glad you did. :o:D:D:D

Edited by BigSnake

You can come out of there on two sides.. (Either Ratwithee Road or Ratchapakinai Road.. which is it?)

BTW, if directions are ever hard then just give the coordinates or the link to plug into Google Maps.. Nothing on this planet is ever hard to find these days, that's SO last century.

Ratchapakinai Road...