Post My Passport Home To Get A Visa?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would it be possible to post my passport back to england and ask a family member to apply for a non-o for me as its hard to get from s e asia, has anyone done this before?? im currently in thailand at the moment.

It is illegal. Any Visa you got by this method would be void and you would be in a lot of trouble.

would it be possible to post my passport back to england and ask a family member to apply for a non-o for me as its hard to get from s e asia, has anyone done this before?? im currently in thailand at the moment.

It is illegal. Any Visa you got by this method would be void and you would be in a lot of trouble.

Apart from the fact your passport would be lacking an exit and entry stamp so, to my mind, the visa would not be activated. So the whole exercise would be worthless as you'd be on overstay from your original entry.

Now suppose, your passport is on its merry way to and from Blighty.

Some policeman has the urge to see your passport.

Ehhhhhhhhh......

See also the other answers.

Yes, tempting but foolish to do for reasons stated above. I thought about it myself until I realised I'd have no entry / exit stamps. Especially after I tried to get back from Cambodia one time without their stamp in my passport and I was sent back to get one :o

Dang. efficient Immigration :D

You can apply anywhere in the world (except Thailand) and get a visa from Hull. However, you must supply a UK postal address for return of your passport. Ask them to send you the form 'Applying outside the EU'.

However, if an alert Thai immigrant official sees that you never left SE Asia, he may well cancel your new visa.

Example, you go down to Penang, and post your application from Penang to Hull. Wait in Penang for a week. They will return it to a UK address. Your friends at the UK address return it to you via a courier service in Penang and you return to Thailand with a new visa. But don't forget, you were in Malaysia when it was issued, and that may be spotted by a Thai official!!

I think the embassy in KL is relaxing its rules a wee bit as I have read some success stories from there.

Edited by jamesjdaly

Visa that have not been obtained by the traveller personally are considered incomplete documents. The passport holder will not be allowed to stay in Thailand according to the visa but only according to the rights of the nationality of the passport holder.

from the webpage of http://www.aranimmigration.com

This is rubbish, of course.

Never in my life have I obtained a Thai visa personally, ie by going in person to a Thai consulate. I have always mailed my application from the south of Switzerland to either the Thai embassy in Berne or the Thai consulate in Zurich.

A friend of mine signs the application at the travel office and they mail it to the consulate.

--

Maestro

Search on my name for this as you want as I've been through this umpteen times here and elsewhere over the years.

Law - a Thai visa obtained whilst the holder is outside Thailand is valid. End of story.

Where to get it - do a search and think laterally.

Problems - you will be in a 3rd country (not Thailand) whilst your passport goes on its merry little trip. You will likely need a friend to help you.

DO NOT - use an agent or anyone who says they can do it for you. If you are not clever to follow the above - go home.

Visa that have not been obtained by the traveller personally are considered incomplete documents.

This is rubbish...

Never in my life have I obtained a Thai visa personally, ie by going in person to a Thai consulate. I have always mailed my application from the south of Switzerland to either the Thai embassy in Berne or the Thai consulate in Zurich.

A friend of mine signs the application at the travel office and they mail it to the consulate.

I agree with Maestro. I have obtained my visas by mail to a consulate in the USA while back in US on vacations (signed the application myself by downloading it from consulate's website). No need to apply in person.

For my next visa, however, I am considering applying while vacationing in a neighboring country using a mail forwarding service in the USA. I don't see how applying while lying on the beach in Bali or the Philippines is any different than applying while hiking in Yosemite.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Agree 100% ^^^^^^^

There was a report from a TV member some time back. He had done just what you suggest and had a nice new Non-o from the UK (whilst he was still in Thailand). When he did a border hop to activate his visa the exit immigration official spotted the visa and cancelled it on the spot, on re-entry he got a (very expensive) 30 day stamp.

Edited by Crossy

Agree 100% ^^^^^^^

There was a report from a TV member some time back. He had done just what you suggest and had a nice new Non-o from the UK (whilst he was still in Thailand). When he did a border hop to activate his visa the exit immigration official spotted the visa and cancelled it on the spot, on re-entry he got a (very expensive) 30 day stamp.

Or now a nearly worthless 15 day stamp!

Dave

Visa that have not been obtained by the traveller personally are considered incomplete documents. The passport holder will not be allowed to stay in Thailand according to the visa but only according to the rights of the nationality of the passport holder.

Completely not true.. What are postal applications for then ??

I do this every year and have for the last 4 or 5..

I leave Thailand (essential) mail one of my passports back to UK (I have 2) and then have it mailed back to me.. I have this in writing as acceptable from the UK Thai embassy, the UK embassy, and the Hull Thai consulate..

I posted these emails on here before but mods delete them as they claim they cannot be verified as being genuine from the people concerned, I advise you to email any of these people yourself to confirm the absolute legality of this process.

In previous years the Thai Consul even arranged a courier service to send it back to me overseas, however I understand they had some problems with lost 'unregistered' mail and due to that now refuse to perform this requiring it goes UK special delivery to a UK address.

YOU CANNOT APPLY FOR A THAI VISA WHILE IN THAILAND !!! That it the limit of the law.

For my next visa, however, I am considering applying while vacationing in a neighboring country using a mail forwarding service in the USA. I don't see how applying while lying on the beach in Bali or the Philippines is any different than applying while hiking in Yosemite.

I have used Bali 2 or 3 of the times I did this.. Helps that my brother has a home there and I like visiting it anyway.

This is rubbish, of course.

--

Maestro

That comment comes from a Immigration Webside.

Most of the Consulates will , of course, accept postal applications.

However you are supposed to be outside of Thailand.

There was a report from a TV member some time back. He had done just what you suggest and had a nice new Non-o from the UK (whilst he was still in Thailand). When he did a border hop to activate his visa the exit immigration official spotted the visa and cancelled it on the spot...

Well that's the operative phrase isn't it? I think everyone knows that you must leave Thailand and apply from another country. If a country allows for the application of visas by mail, which Thailand does, why would they care from where the application was made from? They have all the documentation they need to review in order to process the application and can issue or deny it as per their regulations no matter from where it came from.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Leaving to a nearby country and sending your passport to get a visa could easily amount to a fair amount of money. I think that it could take 2 weeks or more to do it. If your costs were just 2000 baht a day that would amount to 28,000 baht plus airfare and other costs.

You could probably fly to Perth which has been reported to be very freindly and get a visa there for not much more money.

There was a report from a TV member some time back. He had done just what you suggest and had a nice new Non-o from the UK (whilst he was still in Thailand). When he did a border hop to activate his visa the exit immigration official spotted the visa and cancelled it on the spot...

Well that's the operative phrase isn't it? I think everyone knows that you must leave Thailand and apply from another country. If a country allows for the application of visas by mail, which Thailand does, why would they care from where the application was made from? They have all the documentation they need to review in order to process the application and can issue or deny it as per their regulations no matter from where it came from.

Is it legal to stay in a country without your passport. It may be a legal requirement in the country you will be staying in.

Leaving to a nearby country and sending your passport to get a visa could easily amount to a fair amount of money. I think that it could take 2 weeks or more to do it. If your costs were just 2000 baht a day that would amount to 28,000 baht plus airfare and other costs.

Au contraire Khun Joe. Since one has to leave Thailand to apply for the visa from outside Thailand, the question becomes is it cheaper to fly a couple hours to some nearby country and stay and eat somplace in SE Asia, or fly back to Europe/USA (lets confine the discussion to European and North American expats for now) and eat and sleep in some European or American city (again, assume the expat has no pied-a-terre in London/New York or relatives to bunk with).

Humm...a couple hundred dollar airfare to someplace local, a decent hotel for US$ 100 or less, and deminimus food costs or US$ 1000-1500 airfare, US$ 200-300 per nite for hotel, and US$ 20-30 a day for grub...not really a difficult choice. This whole transaction could be done in about 1 week. I know USA consulates that turn around a non-imm application the same day they are received. So you could use an overnite services like FedEx and generously allow 2 days each going and return and 2 days processing and you have 6 days total.

For American like me, you also avoid being jammed in a sardine can for 20-24 hours each way (no small thing). Agree that Perth might also be cost competitive because of quick visa turn-around and thus hotel costs would be low...but are non-Roos guaranteed their non-imm's from there?

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Au contraire Khun Joe. Since one has to leave Thailand to apply for the visa from outside Thailand, the question becomes is it cheaper to fly a couple hours to some nearby country and stay and eat somplace in SE Asia, or fly back to Europe/USA (lets confine the discussion to European and North American expats for now) and eat and sleep in some European or American city (again, assume the expat has no pied-a-terre in London/New York or relatives to bunk with).

Humm...a couple hundred dollar airfare to someplace local, a decent hotel for US$ 100 or less, and deminimus food costs or US$ 1000-1500 airfare, US$ 200-300 per nite for hotel, and US$ 20-30 a day for grub...not really a difficult choice. This whole transaction could be done in about 1 week. I know USA consulates that turn around a non-imm application the same day they are received. So you could use an overnite services like FedEx and generously allow 2 days each going and return and 2 days processing and you have 6 days total.

For American like me, you also avoid being jammed in a sardine can for 20-24 hours each way (no small thing). Agree that Perth might also be cost competitive because of quick visa turn-around and thus hotel costs would be low...but are non-Roos guaranteed their non-imm's from there?

I was not comparing it to a trip to the US and vice versa. Which I know exacly how long it takes and costs having made it many times over the years.

I think its more like 4 days each way for the passport at a mimimum. Considering it has to arrive at a mid point and be sent onward each way. Thats at least 8 of my 14 days. Then you can have weekends (send it on Tuesday arrive maybe Friday or Monday) that can throw things out of schedule. That could be another 4 days. Now we are up to 12 and I have not included the 1 day (or more) at the consulate (one that I know of is closed on Fridays). So my 14 day number is pretty close to right and if planning a trip to do it that is the number I would use.

Perth is friendly to all that have reported doing it.

people i think ill just head down to kl and stay in packpacker town and send my passport home to get the lovely non o 15 months visit my friends visa, i can now apply for a work permit on this yes?? cheers guys for the info!!!

p.s no one tell malay police!!

You can apply for a Work Permit with a Non O Visa.

As for your plan? No coment.

Also that factors in you dont EVER take any vacations outside of the Kingdom ??

I spend time overseas anyway, so just do it while I am on vacation.. Added cost to my normal life = nil (postage 2 ways and visa fee)..

This is rubbish, of course…

That comment comes from a Immigration Webside.

Most of the Consulates will , of course, accept postal applications.

However you are supposed to be outside of Thailand.

Understood. That information published on the web site of the Aranyaprathet immigration office is rubbish. The fact that you have drawn our attention to it is useful. It was, in fact, at the immigration checkpoint in Aranyaprathet where a traveller’s multiple-entry non-O visa obtained by mail while he was in Thailand was declared invalid, ie the case mentioned by Crossy higher up in this topic.

--

Maestro

it is illegal, and technically, shipping services like UPS and FedEx are supposed to refuse to send a passport. there is also the issue of not having an exit stamp from Thailand in your passport before you get the visa, and, as several posters have noted, the danger of being asked to produce your passport by Thai authorities while it's out of the country

all that said, there is a way to do it...not that I'm recommending it or anything, haha.

you need to leave Thailand for a neighboring country, and you need to have a person back in your country willing to help you.

So if I were to have done this, I would have left Thailand and gone to a nearby country (which gives you the necessary exit stamp out of Thailand). Once in the country, I would contact my friend in my country and secure their assistance. I would then sent my passport to them via FedEx. The local FedEx employee would have asked me if there was a passport in the envelope, and I would have said yes. They would then agree to pretend that I had not answered yes. Note that I speak the language of this neighboring country fluently, so YMMV.

Once my friend receives the passport, they would mail it to the Thai embassy in my country (with the necessary paperwork and fees), and when it was sent back to them with the visa in it, they would send it back to me in the country that borders Thailand.

Upon returning to Thailand, I would have had a visa in my passport, and the Thai authorities would have had no way of knowing that I did not in fact travel to my country to get it, since it was issued by their embassy in my country. Also, note that my country does not stamp the passports of its citizens for exit and entry, so no trace is left there.

mind you, I'm not saying that I actually did this or anything, nor am I advocating it, this is strictly hypothetical.

Edited by preahko

I leave Thailand (essential) mail one of my passports back to UK (I have 2) and then have it mailed back to me.. I have this in writing as acceptable from the UK Thai embassy, the UK embassy, and the Hull Thai consulate..

Please excuse my ignorance, but is it LEGAL to hold TWO Passports from the same country? :o

Please excuse my ignorance, but is it LEGAL to hold TWO Passports from the same country? :o

Yes it is legal. Some countries under certain conditions will issue 2 passports under the same name.

Normally this is done because the person has or will travel to two countries that are not friendly to each other and will not allow a person that has been in the other county to enter if they have a stamp from the the other country.