Village Head Man Salary & Duties

geordiel

Anyone have any idea about the Village Headman's duties and does he receive a government salary or a salary from anywhere else. Also I was wondering about this cheap Thai medical scheme (30tbh ?) Ive heard about for gf and family.

His duties are to wake me up every morning at 6.00 with dreadful distorted music and all the latest gossip blasting out over the speaker system. :o

Yes he recieves a salary.

• Like 1

Regarding the bit on health care:

The former 30 baht health care scheme is now known as the universal coverage scheme. In the past patients had to make a co-payment of 30 baht per treatment, but no payment has been required since 2006. Probably your Thai family already knows about this. To qualify for treatment they need to register at the local community hospital and get a gold card. In theory the scheme covers members for all necessary treatments up to and including renal dialysis and ARV therapy, though road accidents are covered by a separate scheme (another component of the overall public insurance package), which has been reported to work less well. If you do a search on '30 baht scheme' you will find a lot of discussion, but in my opinion expats do not generally understand the public programmes very well. It has to be acknowledged though that the scheme has both strengths and weaknesses, and remains controversial. The main website for the UC scheme is here:

http://www.nhso.go.th/NHSOFront/FrontWebIndexAction.do

If any of the family has had formal employment in recent years, they may qualify for a separate public insurance scheme - the social security scheme - which arguably has slightly better entitlements.

Edited by citizen33

Anyone have any idea about the Village Headman's duties and does he receive a government salary or a salary from anywhere else. Also I was wondering about this cheap Thai medical scheme (30tbh ?) Ive heard about for gf and family.

The village headman does receive a government salary of about 4000 baht a month, in our village there are 5 of them, one in charge of each moo (section) we are 3 1, 5, 9, 11, have there own.

And yes after wakeing you up at 6am every morning, they deal with paper work in there section of the the village. A small village would only have one of course. :o does this make any sense???

Regards.

They get paid 4000 baht a month. If the goverment ever gets around to approving a proposed raise it will be 8000 baht per month.

They have lots of duties both official and not that can take up a lot of their time.

IE: temple funds, elections, deaths, ID cards, house registration, security, land disputes and transfers, family and neighborhood fights/disputes, village fund and etc.

There are times I wish my wife had never been elected as head person (man).