Looks Like Thai Really Have Slashed A Lot Of Fares

ThaiEye

After reading online about THAI drastically cutting fares, i was of course suspicious - how wrong could i have been though. I was quoted some incredibly cheap fares today, including 7,000 to Hong Kong and 6,500 to India (all inclusive round-trips). Seems these cheapy fares are in until 31 March. More information below:

THAI’s Discount Campaigns Improve Sales

29 January 2009 14:01 Age: 2 daysCategory: News THAI is happy with its Happy campaigns.

THAI’s Happy Campaign that cuts fares by as much as 50% is turning in strong results since it was launched 1 January.

Now in its fourth week the 50% discount campaign is lifting load factors on most routes, helping to boost revenue in January.

THAI director, Area Thailand, Indo-China and the Union of Myanmar, Kittapon Chantalitanon told TTR Weekly that so far the load factor on domestic routes has improved rising to around 70% to 80%. Passenger uplift on international services has risen to give a load factor of around 70%.

While this is still 10 points below average for this month it shows demand on European routes as well as Australia and Middle East is returning. However, traffic out of East Asia, particularly Japan, is still sluggish.

“The feedback of Happy All the Ways campaigns have been very good but there are also other factors that contributing to recovery,” said Mr Kittapon. “Other scheme, such as sub-campaigns to boost domestic and international, online booking, and Royal Orchid Plus programmes are also coming into play.”

Offers available during the three-month promotion, due to expire 31 March, are not based on a fixed seat allotments. Seats available at the lowest discount depend on weekly revenue management data, with more discounted seats assigned to routes that are demonstrating a low pick-up in bookings.

In addition, there are special online campaigns such as the current one featuring Kunming due to expire, 31 January. THAI intends to offer an online deal for travel to Indian cities in February.

Valid until 31 March, there are number of campaigns under the Happy All the Way banner such as: Happy All the Way in Thailand; Happy All the Way in Thailand Online; Happy All the Way to the World and Happy All the Way to the World ‘Amazing Award Seat Sale.

They offer varying discounts depending on destination and flight schedules.

Some super deals to London. But only one way and I am sure the return flight will be very, very expensive. So overall not really a bargain unless they put them on for all the expats leaving Thailand?

I see that, regarding domestic flights, the cheapest fare has gone up slightly since last week. My recollection is that the prices rose quite a bit over the past 12 months with the fuel surcharges but that the current price in baht isn't much cheaper than I paid this time last year. When the sterling exchange rate is factored in the real cost has gone up.

Edited by citizen33

I have searched a few direct flights to Europe and the fares are the same or higher than usual. example 38,555-49,730 THB (before taxes etc) BKK to Milan direct and I paid the same 8 weeks ago. Other carriers are half the price to Europe.

Saveflights have Thai to Milan roundtrip for 33,400thb inclusive on their homepage.

Flights within and from Thailand are already down. Thai Airways had a meeting on the 20th of January with the government (who are the majority shareholders of Thai Airways) about radically cutting fares to Thailand as part of a wider package to reinvigorate tourism.

Reducing fares out of Thailand is a one-step operation - just cut the fares. Cutting fares into Thailand would more sensibly be done in tandem with tourist-friendly measures such as cheap package deals, lower hotel rates etc. Once they agreed the fares structure, they still have to get the other interested parties on board and coordinate a broader tourism push. I've no doubt it will happen, it'll just take some time.

Edited by Tedhead

Flights within and from Thailand are already down. Thai Airways had a meeting on the 20th of January with the government (who are the majority shareholders of Thai Airways) about radically cutting fares to Thailand as part of a wider package to reinvigorate tourism.

Reducing fares out of Thailand is a one-step operation - just cut the fares. Cutting fares into Thailand would more sensibly be done in tandem with tourist-friendly measures such as cheap package deals, lower hotel rates etc. Once they agreed the fares structure, they still have to get the other interested parties on board and coordinate a broader tourism push. I've no doubt it will happen, it'll just take some time.

Sure, but surely they could just put the promotion fares on their website so that anyone at any location could get the new lower fares, or is that too simple somehow?

Promotion can be found bottom of their main page at the right of "A star alliance member" something to do with "Happy.....

Maybe you need to open your eyes and stop drinking :o

http://www.thaiairways.co.th/happy_th/index_en.html

Yes, these are the prices I referred to when I said above that the domestic flights to KK have only gone down marginally from last year and are in fact up from last week! Did you read the earlier posts?

All fares quoted are excluding taxes and surcharges.

Can give some details of the gross fares for comparison???

Well to answer my own question I checked out return flights for 2 adults and one child BKK-SGN-BKK for 1 week in mid February.

Thai Airways "50% discount" prices were MORE THAN DOUBLE the same flights with Air France.

THAI’s Discount Campaigns Improve Sales

29 January 2009 14:01 Age: 5 daysCategory: News THAI is happy with its Happy campaigns.

THAI’s Happy Campaign that cuts fares by as much as 50% is turning in strong results since it was launched 1 January.

Now in its fourth week the 50% discount campaign is lifting load factors on most routes, helping to boost revenue in January.

THAI director, Area Thailand, Indo-China and the Union of Myanmar, Kittapon Chantalitanon told TTR Weekly that so far the load factor on domestic routes has improved rising to around 70% to 80%. Passenger uplift on international services has risen to give a load factor of around 70%.

While this is still 10 points below average for this month it shows demand on European routes as well as Australia and Middle East is returning. However, traffic out of East Asia, particularly Japan, is still sluggish.

“The feedback of Happy All the Ways campaigns have been very good but there are also other factors that contributing to recovery,” said Mr Kittapon. “Other scheme, such as sub-campaigns to boost domestic and international, online booking, and Royal Orchid Plus programmes are also coming into play.”

Offers available during the three-month promotion, due to expire 31 March, are not based on a fixed seat allotments. Seats available at the lowest discount depend on weekly revenue management data, with more discounted seats assigned to routes that are demonstrating a low pick-up in bookings.

In addition, there are special online campaigns such as the current one featuring Kunming due to expire, 31 January. THAI intends to offer an online deal for travel to Indian cities in February.

Valid until 31 March, there are number of campaigns under the Happy All the Way banner such as: Happy All the Way in Thailand; Happy All the Way in Thailand Online; Happy All the Way to the World and Happy All the Way to the World ‘Amazing Award Seat Sale.

They offer varying discounts depending on destination and flight schedules.

After reading online about THAI drastically cutting fares, i was of course suspicious - how wrong could i have been though. I was quoted some incredibly cheap fares today, including 7,000 to Hong Kong and 6,500 to India (all inclusive round-trips). Seems these cheapy fares are in until 31 March. More information below:

I was quoted 13,500 round trip HK INCLUDING taxes.

Edit: On checking the Cathay Pacific website the same trip is 8,050 Baht and if I count the fares for the missus and kid too then Thai is MORE THAN DOUBLE the cost of Cathay.

Some discounts eh????

Edited by PattayaParent

• 1 month later...
Promotion can be found bottom of their main page at the right of "A star alliance member" something to do with "Happy.....

Maybe you need to open your eyes and stop drinking :o

http://www.thaiairways.co.th/happy_th/index_en.html

Yes, I did notice this despite my customary 6-8 litres of pure ethyl alcohol daily consumption...

however, try to book or find the fare during the allowed period. nada. Doesn't exist. Or, the surcharges are bumped up to cover the difference so the prices are same or slightly more than before.