12 V To 220 V Transformator

vertigo4u

Hi

I am looking for a Transformator from 12 Volt to 220 Volt -

can anybody tell me, where around Pattaya I can buy this Device?

Maybe even second Hand?

Cheers

Can't help you with a transformator but I know a few Thais who can transform 1000 baht into a 20 baht very quickly.

I don't know where you can buy them in Thailand, but the next time I go to the U.K. I will buy one.

A 300 Watt inverter costs 24.99 at Aldi in the U.K.

I hope that this is adequate power in Thailand for my fridge freezer during power outages to chill my beer and keep my sausage and eggs chilled.

Edited by syd barrett

You could try a computer centre if you're after smaller ones for charging a laptop or camera.

I was looking at a range of inverters this size in Bangkok at fortune city. I think the prices ranged up to around 3,000 Baht for the larger models.

The inverters in Tukcom are for very light, or short-duration use such as laptops and small portable devices. An inverter big enough to power fridge or freezer will be big heavy and paeng mahk mahk.

For an idea of power rating and working out what a 300W inverter will handle, look at the wattage rating on your laptop power supply and use the following formula. P (power in Watts) = I (current in Amps) x E (voltage in... Volts)

My laptop power supply input is rated at 110/220 @ 1.5A = 165 - 330W

Laptops, PC's, radios and the like have a 'resistive load' so most off-the-shelf inverters will handle them, just make sure you have about 30% watts 'spare' on the rating. Fridges and anything with a motor or compressor has an 'inductive load' on startup that can peak at over 5 times the running resistive load. Hence connecting a fridge to a low wattage inverter should make for a short but spectacular life before it burns a hole in the lino.

A very good link that will answer all your inverter questions is right here

That unit from Aldi in the UK won't run a small fridge. Power outages in Pattaya aren't that common and the longest ones I have experienced recently is when the the light company is moving or replacing poles or transformers. There's always advance warning but it's all in Thai so better learn the lingo, ask the maid or tell the wife/girlfriend to pay attention or watch out for lots of orange trucks with cranes, loaded with poles in your 'hood.

Edited by NanLaew

Hi

I am looking for a Transformator from 12 Volt to 220 Volt -

can anybody tell me, where around Pattaya I can buy this Device?

Maybe even second Hand?

Cheers

theres a 1000w inverter for sale in cash convertors in Carrefour

they are 3900 new in naklua electric

i think this one is 1900

With an inverter, how long would a fully charged car battery power:

a) A floor standing fan

:o a decent size fridge-freezer

Those are the only things that are important to me really. TV, computer and Air-con are way down the list.

Also, there are quite a lot of power outages where I am. Even a 5-6 hour power cut can be a pain.

I don't know where you can buy them in Thailand, but the next time I go to the U.K. I will buy one.

I hope that this is adequate power in Thailand for my fridge freezer during power outages to chill my beer and keep my sausage and eggs chilled.

the gadget you describe is definitely enough to keep your fridge running for a few minutes maximum and you might sip your icecream together with a lukewarm beer :o

by the way, the OP did not ask about an inverter but a transformer. two different kind of animals! depending on the planned purpose different gadgets are available but not necessarily in Thailand. a simple transformer 220 to 12 volt will input/output reversed also transform 12 to 220 volt.

With an inverter, how long would a fully charged car battery power:

a) A floor standing fan

:o a decent size fridge-freezer

Those are the only things that are important to me really. TV, computer and Air-con are way down the list.

Also, there are quite a lot of power outages where I am. Even a 5-6 hour power cut can be a pain.

that depends on the AH (amp hours) of the car battery AND the capacity of the inverter. assuming you have a fully loaded battery with a capacity of 12V/64AH and connect a 220V consumer drawing 100 Watts the battery would (theoretically) provide energy for ~140 hours. take 25-30% off the theory and you land up at approximately 100 hours.

inverters for fridges/freezers need a multiple inverter capacity because the starting amps of a compressor are much higher than the running amps.

p.s. if you think of running an aircon for a few hours with batteries and inverter you are looking at (price in Thailand) a total cost of 50-60,000 Baht.

the gadget you describe is definitely enough to keep your fridge running for a few minutes maximum and you might sip your icecream together with a lukewarm beer :o

by the way, the OP did not ask about an inverter but a transformer. two different kind of animals! depending on the planned purpose different gadgets are available but not necessarily in Thailand. a simple transformer 220 to 12 volt will input/output reversed also transform 12 to 220 volt.

The 'gadget' you speak of so disparagingly is a DC to AC power inverter which would power an incandescent light source and a personal computer. It has been advised to me that a greater power than 300 watts is required for my refridgeration system. So I shall consider a 2kW unit.

The OP clearly meant that he was looking for a 12 Volt- 220 Volt DC-AC inverter since a standard wire-wound transformer would not power AC appliances.

Edited by syd barrett

The OP clearly meant that he was looking for a 12 Volt- 220 Volt DC-AC inverter since a standard wire-wound transformer would not power AC appliances.

you must be a mindreader to know what the OP meant. why not let him explain? by the way, a standard transformer will bloody well power 220V AC appliances if the input is 12V AC.

The 'gadget' you speak of so disparagingly is a DC to AC power inverter which would power an incandescent light source and a personal computer. It has been advised to me that a greater power than 300 watts is required for my refridgeration system. So I shall consider a 2kW unit.

did i say anything else? if yes, please quote when and where.

you must be a mindreader to know what the OP meant. why not let him explain? by the way, a standard transformer will bloody well power 220V AC appliances if the input is 12V AC.

Sometimes in life you have to use your brain and think logically. I am not a mindreader, but I used my knowledge and common sense to realize that the OP was talking about a DC 12 Volt source.

Where would one obtain a 12 Volt AC source in Pattaya?

There is no need for the 'bloody's' in reasoned argument. Thank you!

the gadget you describe is definitely enough to keep your fridge running for a few minutes maximum and you might sip your icecream together with a lukewarm beer

did i say anything else? if yes, please quote when and where.

You suggested, that a 300 Watt inverter would 'keep my fridge running for a few minutes' . This is incorrect information. A 300 Watt inverter would not power my fridge at all. Facts are important on open forums, if the poster is to be deemed respectable and valued.

You suggested, that a 300 Watt inverter would 'keep my fridge running for a few minutes' . This is incorrect information. A 300 Watt inverter would not power my fridge at all. Facts are important on open forums, if the poster is to be deemed respectable and valued.

you seem to be a real smartàss my friend. if somebody buys a 300watt inverter for £25.- and mentions in the next sentence "fridge" one has to assume it is a minifridge especially when the sentence is phrased like yours:

quote: A 300 Watt inverter costs 24.99 at Aldi in the U.K. I hope that this is adequate power in Thailand for my fridge freezer during power outages to chill my beer and keep my sausage and eggs chilled.

there are minifridges available with compressors drawing not more than 0.2 runing and 0.6-0.7 starting amps. these could be well driven by a 300W/240VA inverter connected to an average size car battery. facts are indeed important, i mention facts and you counter with fiction, assumptions or twisted facts.

next "intelligent" posting please :o

you seem to be a real smartàss my friend. if somebody buys a 300watt inverter for £25.- and mentions in the next sentence "fridge" one has to assume it is a minifridge especially when the sentence is phrased like yours:

quote: A 300 Watt inverter costs 24.99 at Aldi in the U.K. I hope that this is adequate power in Thailand for my fridge freezer

there are minifridges available with compressors drawing not more than 0.2 runing and 0.6-0.7 starting amps. these could be well driven by a 300W/240VA inverter connected to an average size car battery. facts are indeed important, i mention facts and you counter with fiction, assumptions or twisted facts.

next "intelligent" posting please :o

I stated clearly I was needing power for a fridge freezer.

You are just digging yourself deeper into a hole.

You have lost face here, Naam.

Accept it.

Plus it is a bit rich for YOU (talk about the Kettle calling the Pan black-àss) to accuse me of being a smartàss! LOL!

Game over.

Edited by syd barrett

So I shall consider a 2kW unit.

A 2000W inverter will run from about US$600 (without autosensing) to US$1000 (with autosensing); no idea of the prices for the same hardware in the UK but I would reckon they may start around £700. Definitely would be a bulky item to fit in your checked baggage; happily eat up at least 20kg of your free baggage allowance.

there are minifridges available with compressors drawing not more than 0.2 runing and 0.6-0.7 starting amps.

Where have you seen these minifridges locally Naam? I am looking for portable cooled storage solutions.

Go buy a Generator, much less <deleted> about.

you could even hook it up to the mains to kick in if the power goes down.

Also a very viable option if syd is indeed living in Huayai. There are small portable Honda 'run-quiet' generators that would keep essential lights, TV, dish, PC and a regular fridge running. Not recommended for a condo though.

All this wailing and gnashing of teeth just to keep the beer cold and stay online with the pseuds at TV during a power outage.

Go buy a Generator, much less <deleted> about.

you could even hook it up to the mains to kick in if the power goes down.

It seems that is the way to go, if I want emergency power for outages.

It seems these cheap inverters are only any good for low power needs.

there are minifridges available with compressors drawing not more than 0.2 runing and 0.6-0.7 starting amps.

Where have you seen these minifridges locally Naam? I am looking for portable cooled storage solutions.

I have one of those fridges but I brought it here from O/S its worth a small fortune. Its an engel & I remember seeing them at the furniture fair at impact a few years back, dunno if you can buy em here but they are expesive - but well worth it.

Edited by neverdie