Most Thaivisa Posters Are Old But They Don't Sound Old

chiangmaibruce

One rainy night I had a long slow trip to Brisbane Airport (was flying to BKK). The Lebanese taxi driver told a long story about an old friend of his. This guy had really slid downhill after his wife died, and was just about ready for a nursing home. His friends and family were deeply concerned, and after much prompting convinced him to go with a couple of mates on a 2 week holiday. To Thailand. To cut a long story short he wanted to stay on after the 2 weeks ended. He stayed another month in fact. He has since been back numerous times and has a lady friend there. His friends and family can't believe the change in him, and think he has dropped about 15 years in age. He is happy again.

I know many people ridicule guys they see in Thailand, old guys with their hair in a pony-tail. Old guys wearing long-shorts and floral shirts. And so on. And not that many years ago I would have probably reacted the same way. But since then I have had many experiences, have got older, and I have discovered Thailand.

We really can go anyday you know. I started losing friends (to accident, disease and suicide) before I hit my twenties. Why shouldn't people keep having fun when they hit and overtake middle age? Because of what others think? Because it's not dignified? Are these 'others' really that wise? I mean as long as no-one is being hurt by their actions, why not opt for joy over boredom and solitude? What is the purpose of life anyway? Self-actualise? Seek happiness? or just sit on the conveyor belt and do what's expected?

Sorry for the long-winded introduction to my question.

Do you ever read something that someone has written and try to imagine what they are like? What they look like? How old they are? I know many (even most) Thaivisa posters are pretty darn old. I see pictures

in which there are TV members, they are like ads for a nursing home. I have been to some TV functions. Retirement central! But when I read the posts there is still an abundance of vigour, fire even.

Why is this so?

Option A. Thaivisa posters who have moved to Thailand (or spend a lot of time here) are not your average oldies. They have invigorated themselves by their choice to break free from the herd, and their writing expresses this fact.

Option B. Most people - regardless of whether they discover Thailand (or some other Nirvana) remain young at heart regardless that their exterior appearance suggests otherwise, and their writing expresses this fact.

Option C. I am just imagining that so many aged Thaivisa posters come across as still vibrant/passionate and I should grab a coffee and get back to work

So which is it then?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the chances are that if they didn't enjoy Thailand they wouldn't be here, therefore since they are in Thailand they are happy.

It could be the way you see things too, when I get used to things and they become boring they turn grey, but when I discover something fresh and interesting it seems green to me. Maybe Thailand is the green for alot of other people too.

Edited by scottyd

if you fit into the baby boomer generation(born between 1945-1964)this generation in my opinion never grew up and continues to believe they are still 25yo in mind and spirit.......................and long may it continue but coming to thailand is a good cure for the "blues" should you have them!

Option D: they are not all old

No, not all but there are many here that simply are old (not an issue) and that cannot adjust to life here and thus whine all the <deleted> time ... (HUGE issue)

Being 44 and loving life here, I would think of myself as 'not old' but hey ... if that makes me 'old' to someone else .. that is OK :o

I will be 65 in 3 months time and I still wear flowery shirts but that is because I am a leader of fashion in my village, not that anybody follows me.

I have known my Thai wife since 1993, been married to her since 2000 and our son will be 5 this year and she will be 44.

I am still working over in New Zealand but I will quit soon and go back home to Thailand where we have lived full time since 2001 except when I have been working offshore.

When I am finally at home I think I will try my hand at very small scale gardening and hopefully providing vegetables for my wifes shop and noodle stall.

I love Thailand and my glasses are still a bit rose tinted.

:D :D :o

SBK: I never said "all", I said most. As a mod you have access to the stats - you trotted some out the other day about the very low percentage of TV users that were female (in the context of somehow blaming this on the male users - any facts to back that up by the way?)

Others: If I felt that giving my age - or defining a precise age at which I considered someone to be old - would help advance this discussion I would happily do so. I think however that it would not, it would just personalise it and/or provide the opportunity to sidetrack the discussion.

Someone is truly old when there is no fire left in their writing

No, actually, I don't have access to any stats that you don't, just a good memory :D

A few years ago, george did a survey of Thai Visa members. I don't really recall any other statistics other than the fact that 89% of members who answered stated they are male. I wasn't surprised that it was high, but a bit surprised it was quite that high.

And no, jd, 44 isn't old in my book either :o

***edit*** took me a minute or two of searching but the results of the 2007 survey can be found here. And I remembered incorrectly. 90.9% of respondents (all registered members) were male in the survey.

I think the majority of 'older' Thai visa posters are different to regular 'older' people

1) They are confident people - they have chosen to settle in another country - not an easy task at any age

2) They have reached a stage in life where they are 'self financed' or have funds in the bank

3) They are self actualisers - certainly aware of the ridiculous

4) They are willing to learn new skills language etc - have a can do attitude

5) Given the above, they certainly enjoy a challenge - and stimulate the brain on a daily basis

6) They are aware there is a major requirement for relaxation and enjoyment in life

Before you all grow heads that don't allow you to leave the building.......there are also some pedantic, whining old farts on TV too!!! :o

Which one are you?? :D

If I felt that giving my age would help advance this discussion I would happily do so.

I think actually stating your own age is extremely pertinent to the discussion - how could it not be?

Post a comment as if he is 21

post a comment as if he is 70

If the replies are not based on the OPS age...... your responses should be the same

If they are not..... his point about adding his age being detrimental and personalising the discussion is valid :o

HUH? You can be ancient and write well. What does writing have to do with age?

There are many totally decrepit people with very active brains. Even very young people only use a tiny portion of their brain. A bright person is a bright person at any age, unless there is serious organic damage. If you want to see fire, read the last novels of writers like Mark Twain and Kurt Vonnegut.

Edited by Jingthing

There are many totally decrepit people with very active brains. Even very young people only use a tiny portion of their brain. A bright person is a bright person at any age, unless there is seriously organic damage.

oi .. and that serves as an example of what? .. oh yeah, exactly what I wrote.

There are many totally decrepit people with very active brains. Even very young people only use a tiny portion of their brain. A bright person is a bright person at any age, unless there is serious organic damage. If you want to see fire, read the last novels of writers like Mark Twain and Kurt Vonnegut.

When I was 20 I was appalled by how little my father knew. When I was 45, I was amazed at how much he had learned in the intervening 25 years.

Edited by OriginalPoster

OK, hands up who thinks that discussing the meaning of age is going off on a tangent?

Anyway let's differentiate chronological age, which may or may not have anything to do with someones joy for life, level of activity, etc, and (umm, throw me a bone someone, err)

notional age - which is ALL ABOUT how much joy of living is left in a person.

Writing has nothing to do with age unless the nature of output is an accurate gauge of how much life is left inside there. Usually the more charge in the battery, the brighter the headlights. Usually, but not always

"Most thaivisa Posters are old but they don't sound old"

They don't sound at all and that may be part of the problem: may be the impression of age depends mainly on viewing and hearing somebody. Only reading some letters on paper doesn't give much impression of age or looks. The verbal communication goes mainly about the content, arguments (and on TV about a lot of other irrelevant things).

The non-verbal communication (and I am not talking about the stupid smilies) may be more important what kind of person the writer is. :o

OK, hands up who thinks that discussing the meaning of age is going off on a tangent?

Anyway let's differentiate chronological age, which may or may not have anything to do with someones joy for life, level of activity, etc, and (umm, throw me a bone someone, err)

notional age - which is ALL ABOUT how much joy of living is left in a person.

Writing has nothing to do with age unless the nature of output is an accurate gauge of how much life is left inside there. Usually the more charge in the battery, the brighter the headlights. Usually, but not always

"Most ThaiVisa Posters Are Old But The Don't Sound Old"

Yes ... silly to bring age into a discussion about being OLD.

How OLD are you bruce?

I was born in the baby boom years,so not old lol.I get compliments from farangs and thai alike at how young i look for an old un heheheheheheh.Most guess my age from 45 -50,and assume i am rich as i retired 6 years ago.Had a knee operation when i lived in uk and the surgeon said i would need a replacement knee within 10 years.Due to the great weather here and plenty of walking its the 11 year now and it feels pretty good,even though i dont think i could run 10k with the knee,although my lungs would take be ok.All my old footie injuries are not painful over here and to even think of going back to the uk makes me feel old lol.