Wagyu Beef At The Grand Hyatt Erawan

bonobo

I was going to run this in the food section, but maybe more people will see it here.

My friends took me to the buffet at the Grand Hyatt Erawan. I was surprised to see that they are running a wagyu beef promotion until Feb 28. On Friday, they had about 6 different cuts of wagyu beef prepared, and I have to say, they were delicious. I loved the flank steak, and the prime rib was great. But perhaps the corned beef was the most surprising. While slightly dry, the taste was about the best I have ever had.

Anyway, I just thought I would pass the word if anyone is interested.

how much did this buffet cost? i might be interested...

thanks! =)

It is not a cheap buffet.

I am not sure of the cost as I was the birthday boy, but for 5 people, and one person had the all-you-can-drink wine (for 595 baht), I overheard the total bill being 9,000+ baht.

Personally I dont particularly like Wagyu beef, tastes like melting fat to me.

My favorite beef dish (that I often cook at home) is a prime quality piece of eye fillet cooked medium rare(pink on inside, but not bleeding) .....total preparation time no more than 20 mins

# top quality beef eye fillet , about 15 cms long fillet piece for 2 people

# rub all over with olive oil

# finely chop/crush rosemary, sea salt and peppercorns and rub all over beef

# heat up some olive oil in a pan

# sear the beef all over for about 1 minute until browned

# place in preheated oven ( 180 Celsius ) for 12 mins.

# take out and let stand for 10 minutes

# cut into medallions and serve.

# optionally you can drizzle a "jus" over the medallions.....deglaze the pan with red wine, combine the roasting juices, some crushed garlic, dash of sugar, knob of unsalted butter, season, reduce and pass thru a strainer

# nice accompanyments are potatos(mashed) or polenta, roasted tomatoes(vine ripened or cherry), steamed greens(beans, asparagus)

I am not sure of the cost as I was the birthday boy, but for 5 people, and one person had the all-you-can-drink wine (for 595 baht), I overheard the total bill being 9,000+ baht.

I have a couple, friends, who are big wine drinkers... How's that special on wine work there??? You only can choose one variety, or you can choose among a selection they offer... or ???

And, is that only in connection with the buffet, or you can do the wine special solo???

I have a couple, friends, who are big wine drinkers... How's that special on wine work there??? You only can choose one variety, or you can choose among a selection they offer... or ???

And, is that only in connection with the buffet, or you can do the wine special solo???

They offer an Italian white which is not so good, an Italian Merlot which is reasonable and some brand of beer which I cannot think of. However you can mix any of these during the night but that is the wine buffet choice.

I went there with our company's investment banker last night. It was packed. Three of us had a hard time getting a table.

I went strictly for a plate of salad and desert as the only things I ate other than the beef this time. I at least was able to get out the door under my own power.

I buy wagyu in the US when I want to grill a sirloin. Wagyu works very well on a grill. However, this was the first place I have been able to taste test, essentially, different cuts of wagyu at one sitting. Last night, they had prime rib, roast beef, flank steak, corned beef, and meatballs. All were excellent, but once again, I think the conred beef was great, the best corned beef I have ever had.