Info On Driving From Mae Sai To Mae Salong

lambethgal

We are making a visa run from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai later this week and I would like to stop in Mae Salong on the way back. Does anyone know how to get from Mae Sai to Mae Salong by car? How long does it take? What are the roads like? Would it be easier to go to Chiang Rai first?

Also, how long would it take to get back to Chiang Mai from Mae Salong? Would we have to go via Chiang Rai?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!

Mae Sai to Mae Salong is about an hour's drive on paved roads. From Mae Sai, go to Pasang interestion approx 3 to 4 km before reaching Mae Chan. Turn right on Route 1130 and the Route 1234. This route is rather hilly and has lots of really tight curves.

Just did that little detour last week.

Lots of clean air, green vistas.

The road is rather narrow and twisty in spots; heaven on a sportbike.

Highly recommended!

After you get down to the bottom of the hill on the 1234, make a right (west) on the 1089 through Thaton, Fang. Turns into the 107 through Chiang Dao and then back to CM. Also a very scenic drive leading up to, and exiting Chiang Dao area.

From Mae Sai travelling southwards, there is a road that goes uphill towards the west which passes by a Phami Akha village (Route 1149). This not so often used road will eventually take you to Doi Tung (pagoda) and the Royal villa of Her late Royal Highness Mother.

I have been down this road only once and really it was quite unnerving, especially if you are travelling by yourself. We hardly met any other motorist and so if you had a car problem you would be stuck there for god know how long.

Better stick to the main road.

out the back of Maesai via the border road

So where do you leave Mae Sai to get on that road?

The border road is paved. It has some of the best views onto Burma/Thailand I've ever seen, especially at Pami (Bear's wood). OK you need to take it easy on the hair-pins but I would rather navigate those than the motorists on the main road to Pasang. There's a homestay in Pami where you can stop, have a drink and take in the breath-taking views, all the way to Laos.

Main road........!

From Mae Sai travelling southwards, there is a road that goes uphill towards the west which passes by a Phami Akha village (Route 1149). This not so often used road will eventually take you to Doi Tung (pagoda) and the Royal villa of Her late Royal Highness Mother.

I have been down this road only once and really it was quite unnerving, especially if you are travelling by yourself. We hardly met any other motorist and so if you had a car problem you would be stuck there for god know how long.

Better stick to the main road.

out the back of Maesai via the border road

So where do you leave Mae Sai to get on that road?

No need to go south of Maesai.

Go directly to the bridge in Maesai, take the road left down the side of the bridge past Customs House, take a left through the market and carry on to the end of the road. Just before the police box turn left, up past the temple on the right (wat pra jom). In 1km you will come to a T junction where you turn right.

By the way, you need to show your passport at the 3 military checkpoints.

All paved - blacktop asphalt. I believe it has been a policy of this government to improve access to border areas as part of the border security strategy. The route is so twisty that if you get car sick easily, this is not the place to go. If you think the Pasang to Mae Salong is twisty, the route from Phrathamnak (Doi Tung Royal Villa) to the Hilltribe Welfare Center where they did the Light and Sound Show is even more so.

What's the road like toybits? Is it paved?

All paved - blacktop asphalt. I believe it has been a policy of this government to improve access to border areas as part of the border security strategy. The route is so twisty that if you get car sick easily, this is not the place to go. If you think the Pasang to Mae Salong is twisty, the route from Phrathamnak (Doi Tung Royal Villa) to the Hilltribe Welfare Center where they did the Light and Sound Show is even more so.
What's the road like toybits? Is it paved?

I think that you will find R1334, the "Doi Tung - Pha Bur - Mor Nee - Huai Mu - Thoed Thai road" even more twisty & narrow & steep. Check it out if you're on a motorbike. In a car, take care its narrow, tight 'n steep! A real rider's / driver's road!!

BTW if you driving from Cnx - Mae Sai on a visa run, it is probably more realistic to do R118 - R1 from Chiang to Mae Sai. Drop an hour for the visa run & shopping & lunch. Then simply head to Doi Mae Salong via the main road R1 & R1130/ 1234. Anything else via the Doi Tung back roads & it will be a real long day driving. Return to Chiang Mai from Doi Mae Salong via Tha Ton – Fang – Chiang Dao should be about 4 hrs driving in a car I think.

I did the above route about 10 days ago (but with CM-Nan, Doi Puka, Chiang Kham, C. Khong , C. Saen, then Mae Sai added as the beginning).

I would go with David's exact route from Mae Sai.

It's the route I just did, and usually do (4X now). Lot's of good riding/driving/scenery, but not an exhaustively long day to drive Mae Sai to Chiang Mai.

Leave midmorning/11ish, back in Chiang Mai by 3 or 4, with a brief lunch and a fuel stop or two thrown in. Highly recommended! :o

Its a very quiet route - very few vehicles. Have to crest a hill where they have a Royal Project (Khun Jae National Park) where they grow Tea, certain kinds of produce (leeks, etc.). Its a nice drive but make sure to have a car that is in good condition.

Heading back to Chiangmai, I've never turned off after Chiangrai and gone via Prao. I've gone from CM to Prao but wonder what the road's like after Chiangrai to Prao. Anyone done it?

We just got back from the trip ... everything went very smoothly. From Mae Sai, we took the R1 followed by 1130 to Mae Salong, which took about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Stayed overnight in Mae Salong and then left the following afternoon for Chiang Mai. The drive via Thaton, Fang, Chiang Dao etc took 3 hours and a half hours (door to door from guesthouse to home!).

Thanks for all the tips and advice. We were travelling with a young toddler and the itinerary above worked out really well in terms of total time in the car etc.