Bangkok Pattaya V Bumrungrad Hospitals

sharecropper

With all the threads about BPH overcharging, I wonder what the feeling is on Bumrungrad? I have not been treated for more than out patient matters at BPH and have no complaints so far, but if I needed a serious operation I have always thought Bumrungrad would be best. Do any members have any experience of Bumrungrad's service and pricing, especially compared to BPH's? Is Bumrungrad vastly different, or about the same?

Thanks.

I think the there is a vast difference in the overall quality of the staff. Many of the doctors at Bum have gone to medical school abroad and have acquired fellowships at top universities overseas. There are alot of US trained doctors there and although there are a few good Dr.'s at BPH....there is no comparison between the two. I have been to both many times and really think on the same lines as you. The best hospital in Thailand and considered one of the top worldwide is only 2 hours away. Why not use it for your medical needs.

Bumrungrad without any doubt in my mind - however you must do your homework first. Look up doctor profiles - make an appointment with the Dr. who is a leader in their own field. Lots of trainee doctors and top flight professor types at bumrungrad - hence you need to do the homework. Personally I ask my own doctor and she always say's oh "Khun so & so is expert". To my mind, BPH is a rip-off with for the most part second rate doctors, but its only my own experience. if I got ill at my house in Pattaya, I would go straight to BKK and bypass BPH completely. Oh and I have been to both many times and paid for lots of treatments at both for different people. Bumrungrad is cheaper and better than BPH in my simple experience.

Bumrungrad is ok and good quality IMO but their pricing policy is bit weird nowdays. Almost impossible to get any committment on anything, even to get simple estimate is difficult. I do understand that the costs can not be always fixed beforehand but still they should be able to give somekind of estimate and commit themselfs on certain unit prices.

I've been told the reason for this is that as they mainly treat middle eastern nationals nowdays that just forward the bills to their government for payment they tend to apply same mai ben rai attitude to others who pay themselfs.

I'm very tempted to try Samtijev next as i hear good references all the time. Same or bit more expensive but they supposed to be what Bumrungrad was few years back.

indeed it always depends which doctor u have to deal with. I know there have been negative comments about Bumrungrad in the past (and I dont doubt they were legitimate), but all I can say is that I was VERY lucky in 2006 to be treated in Bumrungrad (went there one morning with some horrible pain in my belly, with nothing but a small bag with my passport and my house-keys, and did no get out until 17 days after) as I encountered some of the best doctors Thailand has on offer and they with no doubt saved my life.

also, the team of entirely female ICU-nurses did an absolutely great job during the 12 days I was stuck in the ICU.

their in-patient-room-rates, are quite reasonable too, by the way. nevertheless, my bill was 780.000 THB in the end.....

indeed it always depends which doctor u have to deal with. I know there have been negative comments about Bumrungrad in the past (and I dont doubt they were legitimate), but all I can say is that I was VERY lucky in 2006 to be treated in Bumrungrad (went there one morning with some horrible pain in my belly, with nothing but a small bag with my passport and my house-keys, and did no get out until 17 days after) as I encountered some of the best doctors Thailand has on offer and they with no doubt saved my life.

also, the team of entirely female ICU-nurses did an absolutely great job during the 12 days I was stuck in the ICU.

their in-patient-room-rates, are quite reasonable too, by the way. nevertheless, my bill was 780.000 THB in the end.....

thats £15,000 !! pleased they saved your life,but boy thas some bill, trustyour medicl nsurance covered that!

staying at an ICU for 12 days is not a cheapo anywhere in the world.

and if you check their regular in-patient-room-rates, you will find out they are reasonable.

oh, my credit-card-data was stolen there while I was at the ICU (had to hand over my card and 2 days later, while still stuck at the ICU, I allegedly went on a shopping-spree in Australia and Japan, but thats another story :o )

Thanks for the replies.

I wonder why BPH's charges are so high compared to Bumrungrad's, which has to pay Bangkok land prices, salaries and services costs.

Maybe the bank debt for bulding BPH's new wing needs servicing, or are the owners just making a massive profit?

With all the threads about BPH overcharging, I wonder what the feeling is on Bumrungrad? I have not been treated for more than out patient matters at BPH and have no complaints so far, but if I needed a serious operation I have always thought Bumrungrad would be best. Do any members have any experience of Bumrungrad's service and pricing, especially compared to BPH's? Is Bumrungrad vastly different, or about the same?

Thanks.

one's a hospital, the other a bunch of gangsters.........take your pick

if I got ill at my house in Pattaya, I would go straight to BKK and bypass BPH completely.

Absolute bollex....if you where having a conorary, stroke etc ...you would go straight to BKK...??? .....BS

That's nearly exactly what happened to me last week

Blurring vision during short periods in night and morning.Checked blood pressure myselve OK;some basic tests to "see" if it could be a stroke:negative.For beeing sure I went to BPH.Had first to struggle to see somebody in their internal medecine dept.Their reception staff only understand vision problem=ophtalmologist.Stroke Hum what does this mean????.

First doctor I saw was a junior lady.Some basic tests and she decide"come back tomorrow no neurologist today".After the experienced nurse speak discreetly with doctor she advises to go see cardiologist.I will make the story short of my day in BPH .They flyed over the problems.I insisted to have all the writen result.

When I arived home I saw they detected what could be the beginning of a cancer but even didn't bother to inform me

So I went to Bumrungrad.Took me 2 days of outpatient various analysis and doctor visits.The problems are analysed;solution found (only waiting for biopsy result).Costed me 9000 for nearly nothing in BPH and 45000 in Bumrungrad (till now) including MRI.(MRI alone was quoted to a friend 50000 bahts in BPH!!!).Happily I am very well insured and I will only pay....my taxis.

So yes BPH is useful in Pattaya because it is the best equiped hospital in the region even if the doctors quality there is not very good on average .So for a first help (heart attack,stroke,accident etc) it is usefull.But as soon as you are able to be transported even in ambulance,I advise everybody to flee this hospital.

On a side note I must say that 2 friends who had serious heart problems are still alive because they refuse to follow the advices of BPH doctors and went to BKK.

• 1 month later...

Bumrungrad is a REAL hospital and it does not cost more than BPH. The difference is Bumrungrad has more qualified and competent medical staff. I have been to both and resolved never again to go to BPH if I can help it.

My experience with BPH during my annual checkup was that they were more interested in which "menu" I had selected and once they had ticked off the tests, it was a cursory "you are oK" by the GP who seemed more interested in getting through all the patients in waititng room than answering questions. After I got home, I noticed some tests which suggested further tests, which GP did not even mention!

Bumrungrad also required me to select a "menu" of tests but their approach was more caring...suggested what I should select after discussing if I had any concerns. After the tests, the GP spent some time explaining the results, what I needed to follow-up (and why)before he let me go. It seems they are genuinely wanting to test to see if any issues arise, whereas BPH was more like "ticking off the tests as a matter of routine so we can bill you asap". I got the feeling that if there was a big red cross on any tests, they wouldn't even have bothered to explain.

if I got ill at my house in Pattaya, I would go straight to BKK and bypass BPH completely.

Absolute bollex....if you where having a conorary, stroke etc ...you would go straight to BKK...??? .....BS

Don't be such a knob .....

Bumrungrad is excellent BPH is crap for all the reasons mentioned !!

Well I have been checking out Hospitals for a major Op and whilst Bumrungrad is at least 5 STAR, (Somebody pays for all the marble etc) I can tell you the Doctors are no more qualified than most other top Hospitals, however there prices are horrific!! At leat 50% more than Bangkok Hospital and any extra nights etc are at a very high cost...There are several other high standard hospitals available such as Yanhee etc, do some homework I suggest like some others are suggesting.

Good luck :o

itiyfoX

Bumrungrad is ok and good quality IMO but their pricing policy is bit weird nowdays. Almost impossible to get any committment on anything, even to get simple estimate is difficult. I do understand that the costs can not be always fixed beforehand but still they should be able to give somekind of estimate and commit themselfs on certain unit prices.

I've been told the reason for this is that as they mainly treat middle eastern nationals nowdays that just forward the bills to their government for payment they tend to apply same mai ben rai attitude to others who pay themselfs.

I'm very tempted to try Samtijev next as i hear good references all the time. Same or bit more expensive but they supposed to be what Bumrungrad was few years back.

Edited by Pdavies99

Went in an ambulance to BPH, severe back pain.....I mean extremely severe, also had numbness in my lower torso and legs.....Dr told me it was just back strain due to my current spinal deformity, wouldn't listen to me at all.....went home in the same ambulance with instructions to relax for a week.

Woke up that night convulsing with pain until I took some strong painkillers.....called Bumrungrad next moring, ambulance came, admitted quickly cashier told me not to worry about payment details now as my case was an emergency (didnt see her again for 2 days until my bill was already >50,000 baht....I was self funding also), within 24hrs they found out I had multiple spinal fractures. Bumrungrad listened to me, they accepted that I knew my body and my pain was not everyday aches and pain I have due to my arthritis. They also were prepared to investigate, x-rays showed nothing due to my long term spinal problems, but they did not dismiss my comments that something is seriously wrong this time....I had MRI and CT scans and within 2 weeks I was able to go home in my car, although 4 months bed rest at home was required to let the fractures heal fully.

Know both hospitals from several major operations. 100% Bumrungrad is the better choice, but even better head back home or down to Singapore. By the way...just a few weeks back got an extensive, complete and very detailed commitment, quotation for major brain tumor surgery (Glioblastoma) for a friend, based on medical history, cat scans on disk etc. from Bumrungrad, all by email! Impressive service within 48 hours! Several good experiences with Samitivej. And yes...Do your homework, see where the Doctor has been trained....

My daughter was born in BPH, I had a huge amount of tests there for what turned out to be an infection in my bladder, and I had my eyes lasered there, ................would I go again, no way, I would head straight to Samitivej hospital in BKK, while I am sure that Bumrungrad is good, I have been going to Samitivej for the last 8 years and am very comfortable with them.

If you want my opinion of BPH, go if you feel it needs attending immediately, but get out and go to a real hospital quick. BPH has farang doctors, but they arnt much good if you dont like F1 motor racing.

regards

Freddie

Well I have done it before - the time it takes to get to Bumrungrad is 60 minutes for me from my house and about 45 minutes to BPH - to me its a no brainer but I was actually talking more about non life threatening illness as opposed to a life threatening illness - in which case you would of course try and get to the nearest half decent hospital. Been to both many times and would not choose to go to BPH - maybe thats a better way of explaining it.

Well I have done it before - the time it takes to get to Bumrungrad is 60 minutes for me from my house and about 45 minutes to BPH - to me its a no brainer but I was actually talking more about non life threatening illness as opposed to a life threatening illness - in which case you would of course try and get to the nearest half decent hospital. Been to both many times and would not choose to go to BPH - maybe thats a better way of explaining it.

Please tell me exactly what area of Pattaya your house is in if it takes you 45 minutes to get to the BPH, which of course is in the far north of Pattaya and yet only 60 mins to get to the Bumrungrad. To be able to do that I'd say you'd have to live around Chonburi city but as you stated your house is in Pattaya.

Bumrungrad without any doubt in my mind - however you must do your homework first. Look up doctor profiles - make an appointment with the Dr. who is a leader in their own field. Lots of trainee doctors and top flight professor types at bumrungrad - hence you need to do the homework. Personally I ask my own doctor and she always say's oh "Khun so & so is expert". To my mind, BPH is a rip-off with for the most part second rate doctors, but its only my own experience. if I got ill at my house in Pattaya, I would go straight to BKK and bypass BPH completely. Oh and I have been to both many times and paid for lots of treatments at both for different people. Bumrungrad is cheaper and better than BPH in my simple experience.

Well said !! Especially about doing your homework. Without becoming a hypochondriac, read all you can on your condition on the web.

I have found that Bumrungrad will always try to sell you the most expensive tests/treatment.

Full MRI for few varicose veins, convinced them a small 2 minute injection would do the job, and my sister was FRCS.

Wanted full cardiac workover for a pulled muscle. I hobbled out.

Don't be hesitant to challenge them. For a place with a MacDonalds on the premises you are entitled to.

staying at an ICU for 12 days is not a cheapo anywhere in the world.

and if you check their regular in-patient-room-rates, you will find out they are reasonable.

oh, my credit-card-data was stolen there while I was at the ICU (had to hand over my card and 2 days later, while still stuck at the ICU, I allegedly went on a shopping-spree in Australia and Japan, but thats another story :o )

that's pretty scary - you are in hospital on your death bed while they rip your credit cards !!

Please tell me exactly what area of Pattaya your house is in if it takes you 45 minutes to get to the BPH, which of course is in the far north of Pattaya and yet only 60 mins to get to the Bumrungrad. To be able to do that I'd say you'd have to live around Chonburi city but as you stated your house is in Pattaya.

Frankly - its none of your business where I live - I stand by my claim it takes 60 minutes to get to Bumrungrad and 45 mins to BPH - a journey I do countless times every week. I will let you try and work it out if you can but I wont be awarding any prizes. Technically I do not live in Pattaya, but I do live in the general area of Banglamung.

Frankly - its none of your business where I live - I stand by my claim it takes 60 minutes to get to Bumrungrad and 45 mins to BPH - a journey I do countless times every week. I will let you try and work it out if you can but I wont be awarding any prizes. Technically I do not live in Pattaya, but I do live in the general area of Banglamung.

It's not often I'm amazed but this is 1 of those rare occasions. The district of Banglamung starts just south of Laem Chabang which would be its closest point to Bangkok, the distance from Laem Chabang to the Bumrungrad is around 120km whilst it is about 15km to the BPH. To get from anywhere in Banglamung to the Bumrungrad in 60 minutes you'd have to average about 120kph whilst negotiating toll booths and some of the worst traffic in Bangkok, to cover the 15km from the point in Banglamung that is furthest from the BPH and closest to Bangkok in 45 minutes would be an average of 20kph.

All I can say is that there must be a very strong southerly wind blowing on the countless times you do these journeys every week.

BPH kept my friend there for 1 week saying he could go into liver failure at any moment due to advanced Hep B. They said he could die if he left and did not take his medicine.

Finally after two weeks and not feeling better he left, with a HUGE bill, and went to Bumrungrad who informed him he did have Hep B but his current illness had nothing to do with it and his liver was fine.

A third opinion in his home country agreed with Bumrungrad.

BPH hosed him, wouldn't listen to him and treated him for something that was non-related and ignoring his current illness. When checking out we asked them for copies of his report and they gave us HIS PAPERS where the doctors were commenting that he had been vomiting for days, had massive headaches and high fever. NONE of which he had a single symptom of. Bottom line... BPH was a total cluster <deleted> and if I was on my death bed and had to risk going there vs 2 hours to BKK, I would go to BKK without a second thought.

Has anybody had dental treatment at BangkokPattaya hospital as i am sitting here in agony due to a wisdom tooth problem.I think the dentist must have to drill a hole in my cheek to get to it.Maybe the wisdom tooth root is pushing on my last tooth.Dont fancy going to a dentist,much rather be put out for this work as i am sure they will tug the bugger out.

Love to here posters exeperiences and costs if you have had similar work done,but quickly lol.Not slept since friday night and drugged up with strong painkillers but still hurts like hel_l,as its affecting my front teeth,jaw and ear too

i just went thru the shopping for hospitals exercise. i had a gnarly motorbike accident and lost the skin on half of my lower leg. i was taken to pattaya memorial (who wouldn't touch me until an hour later my friend showed up with 50k baht), and besides the lack of compassion that seems common to all hospitals around here, the ER doctor did a reasonable job given the circumstances. He did what he had to do to protect the bone and keep me from losing my leg. After about a week, i needed to go ahead and get a skin graft to cover the exposed muscle. They brought in their plastic surgeon, and my girlfriend heard him talking to the ER doctor and basically he wasn't confident he could handle the operation. I quickly nixed the scheduled surgery after she told me that and started shopping on the internet.

thru this forum i decided that bangkok-pattaya was a nogo, and tried sattahip navy hospital, siriraj, bumrungrad, and samitivej. sattahip and siriraj both said it would be at least a week to see a specialist, so i went to bumrungrad and samitivej. both doctors that were recommended for this particular operation struck me as highly qualified and confident they could handle it. the doctor at bumrungrad, upon hearing that i had no insurance and was paying cash, offerred to do the operation for 1/7 the cost at a government hospital he also worked at. he did tell me that i would convalesce in a public dormitory with no air-con for a week, which i didn't think i could handle. but i was quite impressed with the offer.

so it came down to a money decision for me, both samitivej and bumrungrad seemed like good choices, but bum's estimate was literally twice the estimate at samitivej (350k vs. 180k), so i went with samitivej. so far i'm happy with my decision, i was just released today. skin grafts are tricky tho, so until i'm completely recovered i reserve the right to complain :o