Does "all" Falong Mail Get Stolen"

IanForbes

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I am far from the kindest critic on the T/V forum for all things thai;

However, living here over 4 years I've never had a letter or package go missing either coming to the glorious "Land 'O Thais" from the US or winging it's way back to the US from here.

Having been to the big post office out at Prakanong more times than I can count, and watching them cavalierly 'shovel' mail with snow shovels I am amazed ANY mail goes where it is supposed to.

I think they do pretty well, especially with the english addressed stuff which can be ambiguously labeled at best. The Thai Post guy on my soi will often stop by for me to help him decipher the english on some improperly addressed letter or small package. Most of the things coming here from out of the country seem to be missing the district, sub-district or province, along with Soi and sub-soi, house number, etc. It can be a tough row to hoe for the local Thai Post-man to actually figure out where stuff needs to go.

I also scanned my name & address in thai and emailed it to my relatives for them to paste on parcels coming from the US. Knock wood not a single one has been lost.

I give them a thumbs up for effort and for getting me my mail as well. :o

I just received a letter in which:

My business name was spelled wrong

The address had an extra 5 (550 instead of 50)

The street was spelled wrong

The district was spelled wrong.

And to top it off the postal code was wrong.

But, it arrived! (within a week of it being sent from the US to boot)

Also, when I got my tax reimbursement check last year from the states it had been opened and re-taped shut. Check still inside!

So, I'm not really sure if i should be impressed or worried....

Never had a problem in 7 years +, strangely enough birthday cards from UK seem to arrive in only 3 or 4 days!!! :o

I bet there was no money in them.

They have ways to detect banknotes - I've had lots of money stolen. Khon Kaen Postmen are thieving B******ds

I can't remember the last time I posted something to Thailand from out of country that it actually arrived. If I mail something WITHIN Thailand it seldom makes it to its destination if it isn't registered. Or, even when it "IS" registered it seldom makes it to the destination if the writing is in English. Only a simple letter in a semi-transparent envelope has any chance of reaching its destination.

Getting someone to translate English to Thai and print it in Thai also seems to be a near impossibility.

Over 2 weeks ago I mailed a simple parcel (CD disk of photos) from the post office in Chiang Mai to a destination in Udon Thani. It STILL hasn't arrived. I guess it was just stolen by someone in the mail service who THOUGHT there might be something worthwhile in the package. It's really a shame when the national mail can't be trusted to deliver a small package or envelope printed in English.

Try sending something in the UK these days and you have to pray it gets there. I subscribe to a couple of movie rental websites. In the last 2 months, 2 different discs have gone 'missing'. That's 2 from 8, so a 25% loss rate.

My experience has been mixed. Regular mail to a mate in Pattaya City NEVER arrives. But with EMS, it gets there.

Now I won't bother with private mail services any more.

International mail has been making it though, to my relief. Both ways.

Over 2 weeks ago I mailed a simple parcel (CD disk of photos) from the post office in Chiang Mai to a destination in Udon Thani. It STILL hasn't arrived. I guess it was just stolen by someone in the mail service who THOUGHT there might be something worthwhile in the package. It's really a shame when the national mail can't be trusted to deliver a small package or envelope printed in English.

In 14 years in Thailand (10 years in Pattaya & 4 years up country) never had a problem, the postman here even stops me in town if he sees me and has something for myself or family

I have never lost anything, either direction. Maybe because I have TYPED labels used on all my mail.

One problem for most people in Pattaya is they use the WRONG POSTCODE: ALL house mail should go to 20150.

20260 refers to the Post Office in Soi 13/2 and refers only to the Post Boxes in that office.

20150 refers to Banglamung Post Office (Naklua) and is the sorting and delivery office for ALL Pattaya, and Naklua, and, I think, Jomtien.

Any mail sent to 20260 has to be forwarded to 20150 office, so adding another delays and MAYBE sorting risk.

For outbound, I take to the Banglamung (Main) Post Office in Naklua and hand it over the counter.

For INLAND, I use the EMS (A "signed for" service at low cost)

For Inbound, I used to use a friends office address, but when he moved, I gave my "urban village" (Estate within the town) and it turns up. Got a Software CD the other day from the software company (Legal version :o ) and SADLY, even the UK Tax returns , - I cannot escape their clutches :D

Having said all that, talking to a guy in the pub, he sent a pack of photos to his girl at the bar and they never turned up.

Observation: Typed means Business and boring, whereas Hand Written means Social and worth "Inspecting"

I can't remember the last time I posted something to Thailand from out of country that it actually arrived. If I mail something WITHIN Thailand it seldom makes it to its destination if it isn't registered. Or, even when it "IS" registered it seldom makes it to the destination if the writing is in English. Only a simple letter in a semi-transparent envelope has any chance of reaching its destination.

Getting someone to translate English to Thai and print it in Thai also seems to be a near impossibility.

This has happened to me as well. I had a friend send some items from the US that totaled about $400 USD and they sent it regular mail. It never showed up. It has 3 months. I may be wrong but I believe you have a better chance of receiving a package if it has tracking because they have to account for the package. I went to the Post Office and they don't seemed concerned at all that it may have gone to the wrong address. In fact, they use this as an excuse for non-delivery.

I send a small parcel maybe once a year from California to Samut Prakan. Never any jewelry or cash. So I've never had a loss yet.

My girl wrote for me her house address in Thai. Then I write the Thai script on the outgoing package. So it doesn't look like a 'Falong' sent it!! :o

I just received a letter in which:

My business name was spelled wrong

The address had an extra 5 (550 instead of 50)

The street was spelled wrong

The district was spelled wrong.

And to top it off the postal code was wrong.

But, it arrived! (within a week of it being sent from the US to boot)

Also, when I got my tax reimbursement check last year from the states it had been opened and re-taped shut. Check still inside!

So, I'm not really sure if i should be impressed or worried....

I've had something similar with wrong number,wrong address,wrong postcode but I have an excellent postie as I get it every time even when I first moved here.One Monday morning I was walking to get the bus and he handed me an envelope that was posted from Melbourne the Friday evening before!!!

I'm glad to hear there have been SOME positive results for people. Maybe I just hit the unlucky days or the few bad guys in the system.

I know I once mailed a simple letter in Sakhon Nakhon and it got to its country destination on the same afternoon I mailed it. I was truly amazed at the time and it beat our home mail in Canada by a mile... or should I say a "week". But, it was addressed and written in Thai. Any time I've mailed small amounts of money in an envelope it's never made its destination. I was later told that they have scanners that can pick up when paper money is in an envelope.

Just curious how the letter got to another country if it was addressed in Thai??? How could the other country deal with a letter addressed in Thai?

Never send cash in the mail unless the letter is registered. I've never sent or received a letter or parcel that was not sent registered mail since I've been here. I always send everything registered and ask that anyone who sends me anything must send it registered too. I've never had a single problem out of perhaps 200 parcels/letters sent and received.

As many I have had mixed results. Recently on my way out of Thailand through the airport my wife called me to say I had her bank card with me. I was already through immigration so could not get back out. I went to the Thailand post office, bought a couple of postcards (to disguise the card) and sent it all registered mail, I also put my wife's phone number on the outside. It only had to go 40 KM to Rangsit. The address was 100%. I got back to work and watched the progress on 'track and trace' See below. After many phone calls we are waiting hopefully for my wife to drive out to the airport tomorrow and pick up the letter. She never received a call, never saw the postman. Our regular guy thought that they just could not be bothered to come onto our housing scheme for just 1 letter. This is not the first time there are many letters that have not arrived, this is the first time I've been able to watch it not being delivered, thank you Thailandpost for making my busy life busier :o

February 20, 2009

08:42:46Suvarnabhumi AirportAccept February 20, 2009

11:45:29Suvarnabhumi AirportItems Into Container February 20, 2009

11:45:37Suvarnabhumi AirportDispatch February 20, 2009

14:42:29LAK SI MAIL CENTERContainer Received February 20, 2009

17:14:28LAK SI MAIL CENTERItems Into Container February 20, 2009

17:14:53LAK SI MAIL CENTERDispatch February 21, 2009

07:21:29RANG SITContainer Received February 21, 2009

10:33:27RANG SITOut for Delivery February 21, 2009

12:00-16:29RANG SITDelivery StatusNo such address February 23, 2009

10:16:02RANG SITItems Into Container February 23, 2009

10:16:11RANG SITDispatch February 24, 2009

10:06:08RANG SITContainer Received February 24, 2009

13:36:29RANG SITItems Into Container February 24, 2009

16:43:56RANG SITDispatch February 25, 2009

07:17:42BANG PHLIContainer Received February 25, 2009

08:57:59BANG PHLIItems Into Container February 25, 2009

08:58:31BANG PHLIDispatch February 25, 2009

09:37:54Suvarnabhumi AirportContainer Received

Edited by davidkas

This is a FACT.. I purchase many many things online most of the time from the same site, and EVERY package that was unregistered NEVER arrived but all the packages that were registered arrived. This is in Phuket (Kathu to be exact)

its a simple and proven I even tested it .. 5 different items sent UNREGISTERED and they mysteriously disappeared not a trace of them (I went to the local postal branch and tried to research it many times OSAMA would be easier to find then these packages) but 5 items that were REGISTERED arrived. The addresses were the same and all sent from the same location...

Morale of the story: If you want your package to arrive no matter what it is if its not registered with a tracking number, then save yourself the postage/grief/parcel, or you can be courteous and just post it to a random employee of the postal service, after all that's most likely where it will end up anyways..

In all fairness to the Thai postal system, I've had nothing but good results in over 8 yrs of sending and receiving mail, packges, doccuments etc. both domestically and international [to US]. The big delays are in sending to the US with their paranoid homeland security slowing up packages by up to a week late.

Thai postal gets my vote for one of the best run services in the country!!!!

I can't remember the last time I posted something to Thailand from out of country that it actually arrived.

Nothing I was expecting to receive has failed to arrive, whether sent from within or from outside of Thailand, and nothing I've sent from Thailand has failed to reach its destination. Even during the closure of the airport when things were delayed. everything seemed eventually to have reached its destination.

While living in other countries I have found that mail originating in or likely to pass through UK had a higher probability of being delayed or "lost." Based on this article it seems the problem is completely out of hand there.

Royal Mail fined for missing post

Royal Mail [uK]is facing a record £11.4m fine for failing to adequately prevent mail being lost, damaged or stolen.

Regulator Postcomm said Royal Mail was guilty of "serious breaches" of its licence in relation to mail security measures and staff vetting.

Postcomm launched an investigation in 2004 after media reports claimed that some staff were tampering with mail.

Royal Mail said it would appeal against the fine - the largest ever proposed by the regulator - calling it "unfair".

Royal Mail could also be fined £270,000 for poor delivery performance in London during 2004-5.

'Serious shortcomings'

Royal Mail has admitted that more than 14 million letters and parcels were lost, stolen, damaged or tampered with last year.

However, it insists that its service is one of the safest in the world.

[uK]MAIL FACTS

About 14.6 million letters were lost, damaged or stolen last year.

An estimated 200,000 items were stolen by Royal Mail staff

Royal Mail caught and prosecuted 394 staff for criminal activities

In its investigation, Postcomm found that many Royal Mail agency staff were not properly vetted before being employed and that this had compromised the safety of deliveries.

It also concluded that co-ordination of measures to prevent theft and damage were "ineffective" and that Royal Mail had failed to adequately monitor the effectiveness of its own procedures.

"Customers are entitled to expect that when they post mail it will reach its destination," said Nigel Stapleton, Postcomm's chairman.

"A Postcomm review uncovered serious shortcomings in Royal Mail's application of its procedures for properly protecting the mail."

I have lost heaps of mail and parcels! Last being a wedding invitation posted in Australia 1 month ago. I suppose if a stranger turns up at the wedding we will know where it went. My address is also a business address and I get mail from other companies world wide and Thailand all written in English, but not personal items.

mummy used to send me Christmas cookies year by year, you know the delicious ones, from old Europe. Got every package every year, but I had to eat the cookies or what was left of that with the spoon.

I have the same problem - 5 parcels posted from Oz to Loei province,none of which arrived. As for letters i estimate i received only about 40% of what has been sent to me. Looking on the bright side though of the letters i have received about 20% have already been opened for me.thus saving me the effort. thank you Thai post.

I have now organised with every person or institution who might need to write to me to do so by email and have had no further problems.

Yes, I have lost a lot of stuff in the mail and it doesn't seem to matter whether it's coming in from out of country or even city to city in country. Perplexing. :o

I lived 6 years in an apartment in Bangkok and now 9 years in a tiny village 15 miles outside of the northern city of Chiang Rai. In all of those years I have never had mail to me go missing, even though the great majority of it was with English address and from the USA to me. I also have never had mail from me to the USA go missing except once . . . and that was lost by Customs in the USA! Perhaps I have just lived in locations where the local folks in the apartment complex and now in the tiny village don't steal. :D

I also live in a small rural area and I'm not blaming the local Post Office, in fact, they are really great. I think the majority of lost mail takes place in Bangkok. The main Post Office. That's my guess..for what it's worth. :o

Google translation now does Thai, and vice versa I presume.

I often wonder if those are very accurate... anyone have any opinion on that?

Actually, there is a Thai lady that lived in the U.S. for a number of years, she does a blog on Thai models, show hostess, etc., and she tryed the google Thai translation and said it's for s**t. Doesn't make any sense. :o