Passport Confiscated

I went the to Americam Embassy to renew my passport as it expires in June of this year. I was told I cannot travel to another country if I have less than 6 months remaining on my passport. So filled in the forms, made the long trip to the U.S. Embassy, paid the $75.00 for the new passport, submitted my papers and was told to have a seat. I noticed many people who came after me come and go. I was still sitting there. Finally after more than an hour my name was called. The clerk told me "sorry, sir, we have have to keep your passport for "administrative review." I replied, "why, is there a problem?" She responded, "I have no idea sir." I said, "how can I rent a hotel room without my passport?" - I was planning on staying in bangkok tonight." She replied, "sorry, sir, we have to keep your passport." I have lived here for 10 years, never been arrested, I just an English teacher. I had a similar experience 2 years ago when I went to the Embassy to have extra pages added to my passport. They held me for two hours. Eventually, the clerk came out and apolgized to me saying "we thought we had a 'hit' on your name but it turns out it wasn't you." I wonder if it's the same problem. Some computer glitch or something. In any event, it really bothersome. Anyone else ever had a similar problem?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went the to Americam Embassy to renew my passport as it expires in June of this year. I was told I cannot travel to another country if I have less than 6 months remaining on my passport. So filled in the forms, made the long trip to the U.S. Embassy, paid the $75.00 for the new passport, submitted my papers and was told to have a seat. I noticed many people who came after me come and go. I was still sitting there. Finally after more than an hour my name was called. The clerk told me "sorry, sir, we have have to keep your passport for "administrative review." I replied, "why, is there a problem?" She responded, "I have no idea sir." I said, "how can I rent a hotel room without my passport?" - I was planning on staying in bangkok tonight." She replied, "sorry, sir, we have to keep your passport." I have lived here for 10 years, never been arrested, I just an English teacher. I had a similar experience 2 years ago when I went to the Embassy to have extra pages added to my passport. They held me for two hours. Eventually, the clerk came out and apolgized to me saying "we thought we had a 'hit' on your name but it turns out it wasn't you." I wonder if it's the same problem. Some computer glitch or something. In any event, it really bothersome. Anyone else ever had a similar problem?

nope but after i had it back in my hands and in my pocket i would ask to see the supervisor and ask why. if they have you on a hit list you need to get them to put in a note in the computer that you are one of the good guys. thats just me though

I have no idea what is going on and never heard of it before. They should of at least given you some kind of letter to use until you get your passport back. It's Friday so are you stuck all weekend without any thing.?

It could be the same thing that you went through before.

Have you taken care of your taxes every year?

Have left any "unfinished" business in the US ?? ie child support etc....embassies usually grab someones passport for a definite reason...your name wrongly or rightly is obviously flagged in the system....I would getting is resolved as quickly as possible with the embassy as if you are in the system, this is never going to go away..

You bring up a question I have been wondering about. If your passport is being held by your embassy for whatever reason (typically waiting for a new passport) how can you rent a hotel room?

um...credit card and another form of photo ID? Photcopy of passport. Both have worked for me. Just explain the situation and hotels are usually happy to take your business, especially if you have the CC!

Have left any "unfinished" business in the US ?? ie child support etc....embassies usually grab someones passport for a definite reason...your name wrongly or rightly is obviously flagged in the system....I would getting is resolved as quickly as possible with the embassy as if you are in the system, this is never going to go away..

The child support or any financial problems can cause this. My mate had run out on child support and then had his passport taken back. Had to fly back to the states on some kind of temporary paper. Still no passport as he has not paid the back amount.

The embassy really should give some kind of document. Do they?

Certainly whenever I have been without my passport for any official reasons (visa, work permit etc) in other countries I have had an official letter explaining the circumstances. However I just cannot exactly recall what I had in Thailand the occasions when I was having my passport renewed. I vaguely recall some kind of receipt but can't be sure.

<edit : forgot to add I'm a Brit but the same priciples should apply)

Edited by PhilHarries

The child support or any financial problems can cause this. My mate had run out on child support and then had his passport taken back. Had to fly back to the states on some kind of temporary paper. Still no passport as he has not paid the back amount.

This was the reason I mentioned this, had a collegue, who was working in Thailand and went back to the states on holiday, while he was there tried to renew his passport and he got sprung for the same thing, they wouldnt renew his passport until he had paid some arrears in child support

My only daughter is 32 years old. I doubt they want me for child support payments. She makes more money than I do!.

Child support payments were mentioned as example as a reason why they grab your passport, but suppose there would be many reasons why they would grab it....tax etc, generally p*ssing the federal goverment off for some reason...

You really need to get to the bottom of it as this will not go away

The child support or any financial problems can cause this.
Only very specific financial obligations (child support, money owed for emergency medical care, money owed for a prior evacuation) can provide support for denial of a passport renewal. Upon a request for renewal of a passport at a foreign embassy, the embassy is allowed to issue a new passport, only good for travel to the U.S., if the statutory grounds for passport denial based on a financial obligation are met. For criminal matters, a request for renewal can be denied. The statutory bases for a denial and/or restriction of a passport are as follows:
Code of Federal Regulations §51.60 Denial and restriction of passports

(a) The Department may not issue a passport, except a passport for direct return to the United States, in any case in which the Department determines or is informed by competent authority that:(1) The applicant is in default on a loan received from the United States under 22 U.S.C. 2671(B](2)(B] for the repatriation of the applicant and, where applicable, the applicant's spouse, minor child(ren), and/or other immediate family members, from a foreign country (see 22 U.S.C. 2671(d)); or (2) The applicant has been certified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services as notified by a state agency under 42 U.S.C. 652(k) to be in arrears of child support in an amount determined by statute.

(b] The Department may refuse to issue a passport in any case in which the Department determines or is informed by competent authority that: (1) The applicant is the subject of an outstanding Federal warrant of arrest for a felony, including a warrant issued under the Federal Fugitive Felon Act (18 U.S.C. 1073); or (2) The applicant is subject to a criminal court order, condition of probation, or condition of parole, any of which forbids departure from the United States and the violation of which could result in the issuance of a Federal warrant of arrest, including a warrant issued under the Federal Fugitive Felon Act; or (3) The applicant is subject to a U.S. court order committing him or her to a mental institution; or (4) The applicant has been legally declared incompetent by a court of competent jurisdiction in the United States; or (5) The applicant is the subject of a request for extradition or provisional request for extradition which has been presented to the government of a foreign country; or (6) The applicant is the subject of a subpoena received from the United States pursuant to 28 U.S.C. 1783, in a matter involving Federal prosecution for, or grand jury investigation of, a felony; or (7) The applicant is a minor and the passport may be denied under 22 CFR 51.28; or (8) The applicant is subject to an order of restraint or apprehension issued by an appropriate officer of the United States Armed Forces pursuant to chapter 47 of title 10 of the United States Code; or (9) The applicant is the subject of an outstanding state or local warrant of arrest for a felony; or (10) The applicant is the subject of a request for extradition or provisional arrest submitted to the United States by a foreign country.

[c]The Department may refuse to issue a passport in any case in which: (1) The applicant has not repaid a loan received from the United States under 22 U.S.C. 2670(j) for emergency medical attention, dietary supplements, and other emergency assistance, including, if applicable, assistance provided to his or her child(ren), spouse, and/or other immediate family members in a foreign country; or (2) The applicant has not repaid a loan received from the United States under 22 U.S.C. 2671(B](2)(B] or 22 U.S.C. 2671(B](2)(A) for the repatriation or evacuation of the applicant and, if applicable, the applicant's child(ren), spouse, and/or other immediate family members from a foreign country to the United States; or (3) The applicant has previously been denied a passport under this section or 22 CFR 51.61, or the Department has revoked the applicant's passport or issued a limited passport for direct return to the United States under 22 CFR 51.62, and the applicant has not shown that there has been a change in circumstances since the denial, revocation or issuance of a limited passport that warrants issuance of a passport; or (4) The Secretary determines that the applicant's activities abroad are causing or are likely to cause serious damage to the national security or the foreign policy of the United States.

(d) The Department may refuse to issue a passport in a case in which the Department is informed by an appropriate foreign government authority or international organization that the applicant is the subject of a warrant of arrest for a felony.

(e) The Department may refuse to issue a passport, except a passport for direct return to the United States, in any case in which the Department determines or is informed by a competent authority that the applicant is a minor who has been abducted, wrongfully removed or retained in violation of a court order or decree and return to his or her home state or habitual residence is necessary to permit a court of competent jurisdiction to determine custody matters.

In addition, CFR § 51.61 provides for denial of passports to drug traffickers and money launderers.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

I see no need for further speculation since the OP indicates that the consular staff explained to him that his passport was reviewed more thoroughly than usual because of a mistaken identity: “we thought we had a 'hit' on your name but it turns out it wasn't you ”.

Other mistakes by US authorities have had more serious consequences on travel, but that was in 2004 and presumably they have improved their database a little since then:

www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0102-02.htm

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/terrorism-threat-grounds-ba-flight-again-757280.html

--

Maestro

When going to ANY place your passport might me held for any reason and you have no room.

It might be good to book the hotel before going,

once you're booked you're in for the stay, regardless of having the OPP to carry.

I would definitely see the supurvisor and get a note attached to you computer file

that this is the SECOND time you have had an issue on HLS searches hitting on you incorrectly.

You bring up a question I have been wondering about. If your passport is being held by your embassy for whatever reason (typically waiting for a new passport) how can you rent a hotel room?

Money works.. I left my passport behind when travelling and they didn't bat an eyelid.. (hotel in Hat yai)

I had my name put on the computer in Canada. I had lost my passport at the airport and they found it in 48 hours, but never removed the fact that I had reported it lost. I wrote several forms and did the procedures to take off this information, but they never did. Every time I returned to Canada from travelling they interogated me for 2 hours and the last time told me the passport was not my property but their property and they would confiscate it which they did...that said..you must have some kind of information on your file and it flags you. You need to ask the procedures for obtaining information, as it sounds like they are enjoying this power trip of keeping your passport, rather then just talking to you about what is on the file. You know embassies love procedures and paper...so go back and find out what you need to do to get the information on your file. You can also try writing the Embassy back home in your city and telling them the situation and how you are not being told what is going on. They can sometimes follow up and the problem gets resolved..good luck

No hotel room without a passport? That means thousand of people would have to sleep on the street (just as in good Old USA) after all lots of people leave their pasports with embassies in order to get a visa. In some cases that can take up to a week or more (Burma). Just make a copy of your passport and in most cases there is no problem.

However your problem is far more serious, if the US embassy relies on a system in which they are not able to see (even with same names) if their is a hit on you, it makes me wonder how many people are on terror lists that do not belong there. After all they know very well that nothing is wrong, otherwise they would not have let you leave from there. I would call it incompetence.

Next time you go to the Embassy take first a good quality color photocopy of your passport and eventually the entry card in Thailand or the page with your Thai visa.

This way you have at least some evidence that you have a valid passport and that you were staying in Thailand respecting the local regulations.

In fact I always keep a scan of all my essential document (passport, driving licence, credit cards) on my hard disk.

I do not know if a hotel will accept this to check you in but you could try.

If you have any warrants in the U.S. they will hold your passport. IF you are a deadbeat dad and owe child support, you will be getting some jewelry....in the form of stainless steel bracelets and a ride to the states.

If you've got nothing to hide in the States....and nothing went wrong in Thailand..there's no &lt;deleted&gt;...reason to keep your passport. Thai authorities would keep your passport if you'd have done something wrong here.....is it possible that a 'friend' was using your passport so.sec. no. or anything else? Good luck for the teacher without a passport.....

post-39518-1235883093_thumb.jpg

If you have an address in the US, contact your Congressperson. This is the type of thing they are getting paid to do; to intercede on your behalf and get to the bottom of this. If, as you say, you are current on your financial obligations back home, never been arrested in Thailand, etc., this is probably a case where you have similar ID info to someone who has problems. Call your elected Reps.