The Eternal Question...

johncitizen

Why do Thai people drive on the LEFT side of the road... but insist on sticking to the RIGHT when they are walking up stairs and on footpaths!? The amount of times I've had to execute a tricky dodge because of this is incredible.

jc

Edited by johncitizen

There are good historical reasons why driving on the left hand side of the road has been adopted in many countries. When mounting a horse it is always from the left and in doing so it leaves your sword hand (the right hand for most people) free. Assuming that you have had the good sense to mount from the pavement side, you are then pointing in the direction that you wish to go and do not have to cross against a stream of traffic.

None of this applies of course to Thailand where so many do as they like without consideration for others - or safety.

Makes me think about back home.

We drive on the right side, but we learn to when there are no pavements, to always walk on the left side.

So, we walk on the opposite side.

This in order to face and see the traffic that pass closest to you.

So it would make sense if we were driving on the left side, to walk on the right side.

But then again, many here take a "walk on the wild side".

:o

Why do Thai people drive on the LEFT side of the road... but insist on sticking to the RIGHT when they are walking up stairs and on footpaths!? The amount of times I've had to execute a tricky dodge because of this is incredible.

jc

Walking up stairs is dependent on which side the central bannister is on. Always walk up away from the bannister.

When walking on a road with no pavement always walk towards the oncoming traffic.

When walking on a pavement Thais do not stick to the right, they wander all over like a drunk. Even my 4 year old commented on this today.

i too have always wondered about this.

Wonder no more Bro, most are right handed and they set on the right side when driving, now I can only speak for my lady but she insist on sleeping on the right hand side of the bed :o:D

So does my lady, but she's left-handed.

Wonder no more Bro, most are right handed and they set on the right side when driving, now I can only speak for my lady but she insist on sleeping on the right hand side of the bed :o:D

Wait a sec, is that the right hand side when standing looking at it or after you get in?

In the latter case, it would be left hand side, and thus consistent.

What a waste of space...

My wife just sleeps in the midle and I sleep on the edge.

Wonder no more Bro, most are right handed and they set on the right side when driving, now I can only speak for my lady but she insist on sleeping on the right hand side of the bed :D:D

55555555555555 That's me also !!!! :o

Walking up stairs is dependent on which side the central bannister is on. Always walk up away from the bannister.

When walking on a road with no pavement always walk towards the oncoming traffic.

When walking on a pavement Thais do not stick to the right, they wander all over like a drunk. Even my 4 year old commented on this today.

Agree on the 2 first paras.

The 3rd is silly.

Wonder no more Bro, most are right handed and they set on the right side when driving, now I can only speak for my lady but she insist on sleeping on the right hand side of the bed :D:D

Amazing just how much space even the smallest of women can take up... :D

There are good historical reasons why driving on the left hand side of the road has been adopted in many countries. When mounting a horse it is always from the left and in doing so it leaves your sword hand (the right hand for most people) free. Assuming that you have had the good sense to mount from the pavement side, you are then pointing in the direction that you wish to go and do not have to cross against a stream of traffic.

None of this applies of course to Thailand where so many do as they like without consideration for others - or safety.

are you one of the four muskateers by any chance :o

not funny at all, fight for your right, fellows! Half of the bed is yours! Make an imaginary line in the middle of the bed. It belongs half to Thailand AND half to the Western world...on an imaginary equally shared agreement

30-40% of your entire life you spend in bed sleeping.

Don't be the slave, get up, stand up for your rights...

There's rules for walking up staircases? I had no idea.

Nor me.. no wonder the world is in such disarray !

totster :o

Many stair cases and bridges over roads have arrows painted on the steps to indicate which side you should walk on.

Think yourself lucky mine sleeps diagonally!!!!!

you made me laugh

this is my life too. i cant figure out how she manages it either.

Pedestrian behavior in Thailand is one of the most curious Goddamn things that is a continued source of amusement to me. Particularly sidewalks. I haven't traveled or lived everywhere, but I've been here for years now and it's the only city this size I've seen where people haven't adopted any kind of natural shift to walking generally on one side or the other. That's not even the weirdest part, though. Neither is watching people continuously walk into one another while not looking ahead, stop momentarily, shift around and then continue. The weirdest Goddamn thing to watch is how people will actually slowly meander toward the oncoming person on a sidewalk. I don't mean out of necessity of stepping around a loose tile or skipping a sewer grate. Even on a completely empty sidewalk with two people approaching one another I've many times seen the Thai person very subtly meander in the direction of the oncoming person. When that person is me I will often adjust as anyone who lives in large cities learns to do without thinking - only to have the other person adjust subtly and begin meandering toward where I am now heading. It is amazing to watch. I'm not one for the cultural bashing that goes on here quite a bit, but there's no getting around the absurdity of pedestrian behavior here. Thankfully I constantly remember that I'm in Thailand and I should just take it easy, unlike we would back home, so mai pen rai. Still, it cracks me up to no end to see this stuff in action.