Brit Faces Two Years In Thai Jail For Being 'rude'.

Chopper

Once when leaving Thailand through Don Meuang airport, the Immigration Official decided she didn't like the look of my passport. It was a regular British passport issued by the UK Passport Agency and I had used it umpteen times to travel in and out of Thailand. It had tons of visa extensions and re-entry permits in it.

She passed it back to a more senior, I assume, colleague. I was taken to this table where he picked at my photo with the edge of his fingernail. He did this for about two minutes. He said to me "This passport no good". He looked very stern (as all good immigration officials worldwide look) leading to me getting very worried. I said it was real. He continued to pick with his thumbnail. He made no attempt to check the passport with a phone call or computer check. He kept picking away.

Suddenly with a scowl he thrust the passport back at me and I was on my way.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of your points say anything at all.
I am just pointing out some things in your post that are not true. So if these 'inconsistencies' don't mean anything, why did you mention these points in the first place?

I don't mind a discussion, but a discussion should be held with valid and argumented points, not with made up things or 'I don't agree with you so you're a bastard' kind of arguments.

IMO the punishment is very harsh already, but that is the punishment in the country I'm living in. Don't like the law in the country you're living in? Try to change it, accept it or leave the country, just moaning about it here on a (mainly) foreigners forum won't do any good at all. But if it makes you feel better ...

Your first paragraph is silly and again based ojn nothing - is your name "JDinAisa' or 'Plus'? There are no problems with the law here - there are problems with the people implementing it. Imig officials, police, politicans etc - look at that PAD guy shouting how he would bath in the blood of the cambodians - and then a week or 2 later they promoted him to a government minister! Is this an example of your country based on respect. Again your email defers from the point. You said this place is based on respect, i'm saying that's a bad joke and the imig officials comments very clearly indicate that. Well, I do believe that we can agree - Thailand is based on respect but its not mutual its one way - you must respect them - they do not have to respect you. There never had to be a problem here - if the guy was stupidly rude then slap his wrists and send him on his way - ban him if you must but they didnt do that they let there crazy ego loose and the tourist thus suffered wrongly.

Best post on this subject so far,.respect where you are,and be aware that thailand is not a normal country,til you see one change you havent seen their true behaviour that is only lying just under the surface waiting to rear its ugly head on us farang when we step out of line, whether we did or not in our opinion means nothing,.

A BRITISH man is facing a two-year sentence in a hellish Thai prison for being 'rude' to an official.

Voice reader Simon Burrowes, from Wembley, north London, was ending a holiday with a friend when Thai authorities in Phuket airport detained him on January 31, preventing him from returning to the UK.

Immigration officials suspected Burrowes' passport was a forgery. Speaking to The Voice via phone from Thailand, Burrowes said: "A woman at immigration was looking at my passport and then handed it to the man behind her. I was ushered to sit down whilst he took out a magnifying glass and proceeded to check my passport for half an hour," he explained.

He was told that he was not getting on the plane and was taken to a detention centre, whilst his friend Matthew was able to fly back to the UK. Burrowes said: "I'm a black man so I'm used to getting hassle at airports, but I was shocked by this." For three weeks, the 44-year old was held with 126 men in a cramped prison cell.

"Thai prisons are notorious for being some of the worst. There is no privacy. You go to the toilet in the open and there is no toilet paper. There were guys in there that had scabies and were next to me," said Burrowes.

He contacted the British Consulate, who confirmed his passport was genuine. However, the disgruntled Brit claims that the Consulate should have done more, saying that they took long to react to his case.

"I was disgusted and beside myself. People talk of them [the British Consulate] like they are the cavalry. If you have issues abroad they come charging to help. But they didn't really help me," he fumed. Burrowes was later charged with 'rude and aggressive behaviour' towards an immigration officer, a claim he denies, and was released on £2,000 bail. He must remain in Thailand until his trial begins on April 26, and his lawyer has warned he could face a two-year jail sentence.

"I have to find some way to sustain myself financially while I am here. I went to Thailand to enjoy the land, learn the culture and spend some money. It's turned into a nightmare," he said. Burrowes is hoping that he will soon be able to fly back to the UK.

"If they find me guilty, who knows what will happen. I met people in prison who are doing five years for having two spliffs on them. It's very difficult to hold yourself up in a Thai prison. I feel very bitter about what has happened," he said. A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London told The Voice they are

looking into the case.

Link to story here.

Hi Chopper, :o

You look pretty cool wearing those sunglasses passing by on your Honda Wave.

I think the main part of the story got lost. In these times where farlangs are allowed to buy alcohol on Songkran, but not the Thais....just to keep foreigners satisfied to spend their holiday in Thailand. ???? Who knows what the man with the dark skin said to the customs? You? Chai jenn was the first thing I've learned here. And five years for 2 spliffs? Are you really sure? Please drive by with your Wave and let's discuss it......chock dee na....Som Nam Na......

post-39518-1236483384_thumb.jpg

So the guy is an idiot and lost his temper. So what? This rates a two-year sentence? Rubbish. Another example of Thailand, now desperate for tourists, doing one more thing to discourage said tourists from arriving. I wish this poor fool all the best and hope he gets off.

maybe im hi-so but i always get complete respect by police or anyone else everywhere i go. my wife needed a paper from the police station in our city and while we were there the chief of police went out of his way to find me and shake my hand.

could be my mercedes and nice clothes, or it could be that i give everyone in this country the utmost respect and a big smile.

being rude to someone in their own country shouldn't be tolerated.

I'm not surprised that this thread has degenerated into "discussions" of race.

Though a little disappointed.

The guy was not only foolish to openly show his disgust at what he thought was

poor treatment but also foolish to miss how him raising his colour could be twisted

to suit different purposes.

MAYBE... what he was trying to point out to the journalist was that he has been used

to hassle in airports in the past, but not the amount of hassle he received at Phuket,

and / or that he has never got so angry before. I don't know of course, but it COULD

have been his intention.

Am I racist?

Judge for yourself....

I arrive at any airport immigration.

There are three queues I could join.

Queue #1. ...6 white skinned folk.

Queue #2. ...3 white skinned and three Indian skinned folk.

Queue #3. ...3 white skinned and three African skinned folk.

All other things being equal I pick Queue #1 every time.

Why?

Because in my experience this queue usually seems to move the fastest.

Only a complete idiot would act the way he did. Can't feel sorry for him even though the sentence is rather harsh, in fact it is rather funny.

Is Thailand the new Mexico?

If you read about the violence and homicide in Phuket over the past month it just may be the new Mexico. Even the Russian organized crime there can't compete with the Thais this year.

It's this kind of victimisation and trumped up charges that stopped me from ever going to the countries like Dubai.

Because Dubai is evil, and they routinely detain and put people in jail for the stupidest of things, a few good examples would be the UN official who was arrested for having poppy seeds which he had the paper work to be transporting from Afganistan (part of a UN mandate to stop the drug trafficking in that area). He was given 4 years even after the UN cleared it up, or the UK teen who last year was blood tested and found to have trace amounts of drugs in his system and he was also given 4 years. Maybe because Dubai also like to put people in prison for prescription medicines which their laws happen to be slightly different about, and by the way everyone gets 4 years... every time. Dubai sucks.

http://boycottdubai.com/index_new_E.php

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/mi...nce-779910.html

My cousin goes to Dubai on business every month-has to be very cautious. I have known about their strict drug laws for some time. It has been posted on chronic pain/spine forums for years as warnings... I cannot travel there. Having chronic pain under control by taking a narcotic patch on the banned list for over 7 years I would be in jail in two seconds. South Korea is another place many don't know asks on their teaching visa if you have taken narcotics and forces their teacher to undergo blood tests to determine if you have banned substances (including narcotics in your system). No one has been able to answer for me if you have a prescription from a doctor if that is legal so I stay away from there too.

Once when leaving Thailand through Don Meuang airport, the Immigration Official decided she didn't like the look of my passport. It was a regular British passport issued by the UK Passport Agency and I had used it umpteen times to travel in and out of Thailand. It had tons of visa extensions and re-entry permits in it.

She passed it back to a more senior, I assume, colleague. I was taken to this table where he picked at my photo with the edge of his fingernail. He did this for about two minutes. He said to me "This passport no good". He looked very stern (as all good immigration officials worldwide look) leading to me getting very worried. I said it was real. He continued to pick with his thumbnail. He made no attempt to check the passport with a phone call or computer check. He kept picking away.

Suddenly with a scowl he thrust the passport back at me and I was on my way.

About four years ago, a friend of mine attempted to leave Bangkok airport with a passport that had gone through the wash. He was refused his flight and told by immigration to get a new passport at the British embassy. His flight carrier even changed his ticket, free of charge.

These days, Bangkok airport immigration would refuse the same damaged passport, but instantly jail the passport holder in an immigration prison, and make no attempt to notify you airline.

We all know that times have changed. The moral of the story is always to present an undamaged passport with absolutely no abnomalities, such as bare shoulders, funny hat or folded pages or unsticked Cambodian visa stamps, or funny stickers or handwriting etc etc. OR YOU WILL GO TO JAIL. PERIOD.

Am I racist?

Judge for yourself....

Why?

Is this a trick question?

Am I racist?

Judge for yourself....

Why?

Here is a helpful tip. When departing, always stand in the queue with all the orientals: Chinese, Korean and Taiwanese. This is because none of them ever complete their departure card and are all sent away by immigration, who will then beckon YOU forward.

A BRITISH man is facing a two-year sentence in a hellish Thai prison for being 'rude' to an official.

Voice reader Simon Burrowes, from Wembley, north London, was ending a holiday with a friend when Thai authorities in Phuket airport detained him on January 31, preventing him from returning to the UK.

Immigration officials suspected Burrowes' passport was a forgery. Speaking to The Voice via phone from Thailand, Burrowes said: "A woman at immigration was looking at my passport and then handed it to the man behind her. I was ushered to sit down whilst he took out a magnifying glass and proceeded to check my passport for half an hour," he explained.

He was told that he was not getting on the plane and was taken to a detention centre, whilst his friend Matthew was able to fly back to the UK. Burrowes said: "I'm a black man so I'm used to getting hassle at airports, but I was shocked by this." For three weeks, the 44-year old was held with 126 men in a cramped prison cell.

"Thai prisons are notorious for being some of the worst. There is no privacy. You go to the toilet in the open and there is no toilet paper. There were guys in there that had scabies and were next to me," said Burrowes.

He contacted the British Consulate, who confirmed his passport was genuine. However, the disgruntled Brit claims that the Consulate should have done more, saying that they took long to react to his case.

"I was disgusted and beside myself. People talk of them [the British Consulate] like they are the cavalry. If you have issues abroad they come charging to help. But they didn't really help me," he fumed. Burrowes was later charged with 'rude and aggressive behaviour' towards an immigration officer, a claim he denies, and was released on £2,000 bail. He must remain in Thailand until his trial begins on April 26, and his lawyer has warned he could face a two-year jail sentence.

"I have to find some way to sustain myself financially while I am here. I went to Thailand to enjoy the land, learn the culture and spend some money. It's turned into a nightmare," he said. Burrowes is hoping that he will soon be able to fly back to the UK.

"If they find me guilty, who knows what will happen. I met people in prison who are doing five years for having two spliffs on them. It's very difficult to hold yourself up in a Thai prison. I feel very bitter about what has happened," he said. A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London told The Voice they are

looking into the case.

Link to story here.

It would appear that he swore at the immigration official, criticised Thailand & snatched his passport back, so on that basis he got what he deserved & if he does receive a prison sentence, he has only himself to blame - end of discussion. I'd just add that I've no sympathy for him whatsoever.

hmm, let's see. He's got a real passport from the UK. He's black. They tell him his passport is fake and check it for 30 minutes until they finally come to the conclusion it's real. They still let him miss his flight, he probably got upset about it and said a few things and now probably ends up in jail for 2 years, and YOU THINK THAT'S JUSTIFIED????? I just hope the same happens to you and they give you 5 years, how about that???

Perhaps the Thai immigration officials should be shown the video of the lady missing her flight at Hong Kong.

(Just search google for "video lady missing flight")

She flipped out and as far as I know wasn't arrested. Basically airports can be stressful places and to presume that every tourist should be aware of the cultural norms is simply ridiculous. Thailand wants the money from being an international tourist destination but then wants everybody to act according to their code of behaviour - it simply doesn't work that way.

In no way condoning bad behaviour, but they should be trained to deal with it in a professional manner, which means disentangling ego from modus operandi in the work place.

looking into the case.

Link to story here.

I am so tired of some of the people posting here; with comments about Thailand being a 'Third World Country' 'Hurt feelings oif vengefull officials' etc. If they feel that way, hy live here? I was held in a small room (alone) for three hours in Hawaii by an immigtaion official who was upset that i couldn't identify a US immigration stamp in my passport. I had about suxty of them from various places in the USA. She went off duty and left me there to stew, eventually another more sane official solved the problem by telling me that she was a stupid b**** and assisting me in getting another connecting flight to one of the islands. Can you imagine what would have happend to me if I had, sworn at the lady, snatched my passport back? Try being rude to security in the USA or the UK!! Yes there are obnoxious officals, but beiong rude and insulting solves nothing.

It would appear that he swore at the immigration official, criticised Thailand & snatched his passport back, so on that basis he got what he deserved & if he does receive a prison sentence, he has only himself to blame - end of discussion. I'd just add that I've no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Am I racist?

Judge for yourself....

Why?

Here is a helpful tip. When departing, always stand in the queue with all the orientals: Chinese, Korean and Taiwanese. This is because none of them ever complete their departure card and are all sent away by immigration, who will then beckon YOU forward.

Ahhh. Now there is a thinking man.... I'll just follow you old bean.

:o

man did this make my day, wish i could have caught this from the beginning, a week doesn't go by here in the states when a black athlete doesn't put down a white player or coach, some where in time blacks have this gotten this idea that putting down people of other races is ok, its to bad when some one from another race returns the favor its always called racism.

we must always remember that only blacks have a right to use the term racism, for those of use who aren't black, well, we just need to find another term.

when ever theres an article in sports about an athlete going to jail, 99% of the time, they are what color?, when you read of snoop dogg and his posse in a london airport causing a distubance because his friends broke some whiskey bottles in the duty free shop and then some of his cheap friends who flew economy tried to get into the vip lounge, are you surprised, not me.

its my hope that burrows spends the whole two years in jail, i'm sure he thought the garbage he pulls in london would work in thailand, i have had my issues in thailand but one thing i never forget is that i am a GUEST IN ANOTHER COUNTRY, if i don't like thailand i don't have to come back, for those of you who defend this person, its just pathetic

Very good post , got your point across to perfection , YOU do not like black people , but your "Guest in another country " is not correct . A traveller purchases a ticket with his own money , obtains the visa for his acceptance into said country , rents accomodation with his own money , travels around said country and spends his own money to do so , eats , drinks or whatever with his own money , in no way does that come across as a guest . There is little tolerance shown in Thailand when it comes down the thier egotistical FACE , face and money give the impression of being the two main factors that drive Thailand , I am glad I moved out of there to a more tolerant , happier country . :D

While it is true that your adopted country is more tolerant of personal drug use, Cambodia is not a happier place. When I return to Thailand from my adventures in Cambodia it is with a sense of relief and makes me appreciate this country all the more. Your rant makes you sound like a very unhappy person and some of us are happy you made the change. Cheers!

I was not on a rant , with your response I can only guess you are on some of those easy (?) to get drugs , maybe even the reason you take 'Adventure trips ' over here as many do . I have a considerably happier way of life than I experienced in your beloved country , every day , not the occasional day , I imagine you have the need to feel happy for some-one , even a stranger is better than not a soul .

Wow! Great comeback! I work in Cambodia as a consultant to the government and consequently spend a lot of time there. My sense is that people are a bit happier in Thailand. Enjoy your life.

There is nothing funny about being in jail. I get a picture of someone with a major chip on his shoulder, someone who likes to stand up (a bit too much) for his rights as a human being. Apparently it's possible to have a naked photo in your passport, because the UK practices human rights, and although they will do everything in their power to refuse it, the most stubborn of people will win because it's their rights. Personally I don't like being around this type of person, but there is no way he deserves jail time, and anyone who says he does is a self-righteous idiot. In Uk on inbound the worst thing they would have had was a refused entry mark on their passport, and on outbound a mark to refuse future entries.

When tourism is down and the Thai economy is struggling, do they really need this mud sticking against them over something so petty, the refusal of entry would have really put this guy in his place and made him realise the imo has a lot of power and he would have gone home with his tail between his legs and learnt a valuable lesson.

Now he will return home a hero whether in a month or in 2 yrs, he'll sell his story and the Thai gov will have gained nothing and they can't even imagine how much face they are losing in the whole process

It's this kind of victimisation and trumped up charges that stopped me from ever going to the countries like Dubai.

Dubai isn't a country. It sounds like you consider it normal and acceptable to argue with immigration officials. I'm glad you won't be coming to Dubai.

Dubai isn't a country. It sounds like you consider it normal and acceptable to argue with immigration officials. I'm glad you won't be coming to Dubai.

That's one of the things I like about Dubai - the yobs, drug users, liberals etc. generally give it a wide berth - behaviour which sadly is tolerated/unpunished back home will land them in serious hot water in the UAE.

You people who say he deserves this, must be nutters.

Two weeks holiday plenty of wine and women, sun, lack of sleep you are tired and cranky then you are faced with this, all you want to do is get on the plane.

Its not hard to loose your temper in Thailand, if you know the consequenses you try hard to control yourself, if you don't know the consequenses you let rip.

I was staying at a hotel in Bkk last week and after being screwed over I let the staff know of my indifference to there treatment of me, guess I am lucky to be not spending the next 2 years in Jail.

sorry, but it's nonsense like this that accounts for this being my 2nd to last post before resigning from the forum.

Don't leave us SJ. You are one of the few posters that actually puts forward worthwhile posts.

Unlike myself of course :o

Ditto here SJ.

I can't see why this guy is still jailed.

Main probability:

I expect lost face has something to do with it,

or more likely the Imgrtn. guy doesn't want to lose face admitting

he shouldn't have hauled this guy in on these charges and so,

he can't back away from those same idiotic charges.

If so it is pretty pathetic, these little power / controller types,

can't see themselves losing more face for correcting a mistake of a moment

vs gaining face for doing what's right.

So they stick with something that makes them look like mean spirited idiots.

And at the same time makes the country look bad in the process.

Everyone gets pissed off sometimes, it's how you correct it later that matters most.

This topic certainly has hit a nerve on TVF.

Edited by animatic

Yes, most of us do our best to keep our cool in Thailand, but we are only human and most westerners were conditioned to not keep our cool when confronted with injustice.

In fact, in the west if you do not become very angry when falsely charged, it can be seen as a sign of GUILT.

An incident happened to me a while back. I was accused of stealing a bath robe from a hotel. There never was a bath robe in the room and I knew I was innocent but to some degree I lost my cool and fought back against the idiotic hotel management. It all worked out, they backed down, but what if they had called the police, who knows?

Edited by Jingthing

looking into the case.

Link to story here.

Whenever a fellow foreigner has a problem, you guys just start ranting. If you've got nothing to say, why don't you guys just shut up. You've got to be black to know what we're going through. When the Thai teacher sexually exploited a minor, you guys were all wishing you were the one, and now someone is probably being framed, and here you are swearing and distancing yourselves from him.

Dubai is not a country. It's part of the United Arab Emirates. Something like 80% of the population are foreigners. I was there for 10 years without any problem and no one I knew ever had any difficulty with the police or Immigrations.

Yes, most of us do our best to keep our cool in Thailand, but we are only human and most westerners were conditioned to not keep our cool when confronted with injustice.

In fact, in the west if you do not become very angry when falsely charged, it can be seen as a sign of GUILT.

An incident happened to me a while back. I was accused of stealing a bath robe from a hotel. There never was a bath robe in the room and I knew I was innocent but to some degree I lost my cool and fought back against the idiotic hotel management. It all worked out, they backed down, but what if they had called the police, who knows?

A salient point.

This maybe two cultures not understanding the other's concept of HONOR as applied.

Of course the

Thai Imgrtn. guy is in his own country,

has the legal authority to take action,

and so thinks HIS version of honor takes precedence totally.

No less a clash of cultures and unfair outcome so far.

But as several TVF posters demand: 'hang him high for being stupid.'

Lord knows if this were the criteria for execution,

TVF would have many many fewer members.

Edited by animatic