2009 Hotel Land Tax, Waived Yes Or No

If I remember correctly, I read in the newspaper or maybe in this forum, that one of the measures to stimulate tourism would be a waiver for the land tax hotels usually have to pay. The Thai name for this tax is phasee rong ruean tee din (โรงเรือนที่ดิน).

So I was surprised to receive a letter from the OrBorTor (Tambon administration) this morning informing me that I am expected to pay the land tax for my resort before March 27.

Anybody knows more about this?

Definitely not been waivered in Chiang Mai, as we have to pay ours next month. Have already had letter of notification too.

Hotel license cost went up by about 300% last year - but that's amphur.

Have never seen anything done in practice to help tourism industry.

In fact last year TAT sent a notice to a large sector of rather expensive hotels (after airport closure), asking them to join in scheme offering rooms for 2000Bt/nt. Regardless of the fact some of these hotels would normally charge up to 10000Bt/nt.

So basically asking hotels to slash their rates to encourage tourists but no help from the govt sector at all.

Business as usual - govt. screws up and private sector expected to pay. In fact the more they screw up , the more they want the private sector to pay.

The govt might spout on about waivering taxes but they are collected by the local govt. and I doubt they are willing to make a dent in their finances. I very much doubt it will be waivered next year.

The thing about rong reuan tax is that apartments and monthly rental places pay it too and they are not affected by tourism drops.