Things I Can't Find

lethe

Hi, here are a list of things I have had no luck finding in Thailand.

1. Is there a regularly updated list of english-speaking Thai TV programs available on the internet? I know there are some English news reports on NBT.

2. Are there any good tea stores (That sell more than the usual Chinese teas.) in Bangkok - like T2 in Australia?

3. Are there any good music stores in Bangkok that sell a large selection of western music - particularly alternative music or even Australian rock?

4. What is the best sreet directory of thailand. I notice taxi drivers here don't even carry anything and are always asking the passenger for directions (crazy!), if only google could print out there maps for taxi drivers in every country they would make a fortune :o

4. Also on my hit list of things to buy are outdoor sensor lights, those cheap sprinker systems that have thin long protruding stems and sprinkler heads running a lenght of tube buried underground and hooked up to your home water tap, and finally a timer to set off the sprinkler system at a particular time of day.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, here are a list of things I have had no luck finding in Thailand........

4. Also on my hit list of things to buy are outdoor sensor lights, those cheap sprinker systems that have thin long protruding stems and sprinkler heads running a lenght of tube buried underground and hooked up to your home water tap, and finally a timer to set off the sprinkler system at a particular time of day.

Since I see all the different pieces to make up a sprinkler system such as you described in many different places around Chiangmai, I assume they are all readily available in BKK. Are you are literally just listing #4 as something you plan to buy (as the words seem to say; no question asked, no question mark) ? Or are you asking if these components are available and, if so, where?

From my early days here I kept a running list of things that I could not seem to be able to buy here - partly with the possible idea of importing some things.

Over the last five years though I think I have just about crossed everything off the list, either because I finally found where I could buy them OR someone started selling them.

Part of the issue here is that it is just so hard to find things given, for example, the lack of a Yellow Pages directory and the often clueless people working in the shops (who wouldn't even know if THEY sold X, let alone if anyone else in the neighbourhood did.

I notice taxi drivers here don't even carry anything and are always asking the passenger for directions (crazy!), if only google could print out there maps for taxi drivers in every country they would make a fortune :o

You will find that most taxi drivers, in BKK, originate from the Isaan area where a high proportion of people cannot read and right. On that basis, I doubt a map would be of use.

If they can't read and write, "how do they get drivers licences" ? I hear you say. A few hundred Baht in the hands of the right person does the trick.

Hi, here are a list of things I have had no luck finding in Thailand........

Since I see all the different pieces to make up a sprinkler system such as you described in many different places around Chiangmai, I assume they are all readily available in BKK. Are you are literally just listing #4 as something you plan to buy (as the words seem to say; no question asked, no question mark) ? Or are you asking if these components are available and, if so, where?

I definitely want all these things but can't find out where to buy them.

I thought I'd ask here first before getting them delivered from overseas.

1. Is there a regularly updated list of english-speaking Thai TV programs available on the internet? I know there are some English news reports on NBT.

2. Are there any good tea stores (That sell more than the usual Chinese teas.) in Bangkok - like T2 in Australia?

3. Are there any good music stores in Bangkok that sell a large selection of western music - particularly alternative music or even Australian rock?

4. What is the best sreet directory of thailand. I notice taxi drivers here don't even carry anything and are always asking the passenger for directions (crazy!), if only google could print out there maps for taxi drivers in every country they would make a fortune :o

Thanks in advance!

Most of the things you want are available in the Emporium (Sukumvit Rd Bangkok) -at a price. When you have finished there go out the front door turn right and walk for 15 minutes to The REX Hotel. Next door to it is a Colemans camping store that has lights, sprinklers, Oz style BBQs and other stuff as well as camping gear.

Small crescent shaped metal screw-in brackets to hold a shower curtain rod from falling.

Dome type strainer drain cover for exterior balcony drain that turns into a second-story swimming pool after one or two leaves clog the drain.

Brass kick plate for French doors.

A manual lawn edger -- a pole with a small wheel and toothed sprocket on the end for trimming grass overgrowth.

Edited by Texpat

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, can't help with 1, 2 or 3.

HomePro stock several different styles/sizes of floodlights with built-in movement detectors. They also have the movement detectors as seperate items (so you can connect them to existing exterior lights).

They stock at least 2 types of sprinkler system, including the one you describe, and they have all the various tubes, connectors and sprinklers.

Now, can anyone tell me where I can buy steel wool (wire wool) ?

The nearest thing I've fond to a London A-Z style map for Bangkok is called "Short Cuts", surveyed and prepared by Bangkok guide ISBN 974-8352-26-9. I found it in Asia Books, Times Square, expensive at 500THB. http://www.bangkokguide.co.th/P_Publishing.htm about 3/4 down.

If you're really keen you can buy the software version the book is based upon - at 10000THB (http://www.swpark.or.th/softwarepark2/sw/_apaccompany02.html)

Edited by phaethon

I have a very (simple) small little thing I have been trying to find :

- 75 - 90 cm black shoe strings.

Impossible to find ( so far I checked : 7xBATA Stores, Emporium and 3 Robbie's)

I second this.... I can not find shoe strings anywhere.... I have looked in every shoe store and no one has shoe strings.... how odd is that.

I have given up and unless someone can advise where to buy them, I plan on buying some while I am in the states next month.

Edited by CWMcMurray

I notice taxi drivers here don't even carry anything and are always asking the passenger for directions (crazy!), if only google could print out there maps for taxi drivers in every country they would make a fortune :o

You will find that most taxi drivers, in BKK, originate from the Isaan area where a high proportion of people cannot read and right. On that basis, I doubt a map would be of use.

If they can't read and write, "how do they get drivers licences" ? I hear you say. A few hundred Baht in the hands of the right person does the trick.

I have a map (in Thai) for the cab drivers, but many cannot read or write, or read a map. I therefore carry a photo of my condo, which is bloody huge, and this seems to work the best.

This is funny, Wen I worked in Africa, then China, then Brazil, then Manila and Taiwan before coming to Thailand (oops fogot India and Nepal) i soon realised that I was actually in foreign countries and then accepted when in Rome etc. Amazing with my attitude now I accept what comes, after all it was my/your decision to come here so stop bleating and get street wise

What's "street wise" got to do with it? They are only asking if it's possible to get some things.

Is there any obvious thinking in these questions, for the love of god if you expat yourselves to foreign shores then accept you will not get what you are used to at home. OR does it mean they are not able to adapt.