Shophouse Rental Prices

sinewave

considering making a move to chiang rai from bangkok and would like to open a hairdressing place for my girlfriend, she says rent is possibe for between 2000-4000 baht per month, but i find this hard to believe...is there any truth in this?..one story shop is ok, but 2-3 floors would be better.

thanks!

I think you may be low, but I don't know much about rental prices. My sister in law rented a 3 story shophouse in a fairly busy area on a main street for her restaurant. 5.500 Bt/Mo but her husband knew the owner of the building who just wanted to make his payments, as he was ill, so that may not be all that relevant.

thanks, this is a bit encouraging...so i think will take another trip up to chiang rai to verify rental prices.

for a 1-2 story shophouse, it seems that it might just be feasible...although i am thinking that, at this price point, it will be an older building, whic is ok as long as there is traffic.

thanks again

i only know the price on the main road in town (pahonyotin) where swensen and pizza copy are... i asked at a coffee shop that occupies a shop house, they siad around 20,000 and that was a few years back... even that price can vary though.

granted this is on the main road... so if you are a few streets back, could welll be in the 5 k zone etc...

the good thing is, once a clientelle is built up, they usually come back if the job is good, so location wont be an issue....

i'm thinking someplace close to a university, market or apartments with alot of college kids would be a good location.

happen to know any specific streets that fit this description...? i havent had a chance to go around on a motorcycle and do any real investigation yet. :o

thanks

Okay, if you don't mind going out of town.

Opposite the Rajabhat University you can find 2 storey shop houses for 5000 Baht.

At Denha area I heard of 6000-10000

and there are plenty (also new ones) around Sankhong Noi and Sankhong Luang, but I'm not sure about the price.

I think I need to dissapoint you with finding shophouses for less than 5K.

Good luck and inform us when and where you found yours :o

:D Lilly :D

how far out of town is the university? as long as there are alot of people walking around it should be fine in most places... the farther away from tourist designated bars/entertainment zones the better.

right now she is paying 3k baht for house rental, so a similiar type of scenario for a hair styling shop may be an option.

There's a block of brand new 3 story ones at the new bus station.

Whether there would be enough business there from staff and passengers to warrant a hairdresser is debatable.

Its probably as good a place as any. be the first one

I don't even need to look opposite the University to know that there will be many many hairdressers. wether they are successful I've no Idea.

I suspect Chiang Rai has no shortage of Hairdressers and If your successful at the new bus station then the Bus station will have no shortage of hairdressers. ........ or Opticians .... etc.. etc..

not sure of a hairdresser at a bus station since it is a transit area, I think a noodle restaraunt would be more appropriate for this type of location.

if i had connections with the soon to be transit mafia, i would run a shuttle bus to and fro the city center....but but but

• 2 weeks later...
not sure of a hairdresser at a bus station since it is a transit area, I think a noodle restaraunt would be more appropriate for this type of location.

if i had connections with the soon to be transit mafia, i would run a shuttle bus to and fro the city center....but but but

WOW!! :o

Sounds like shophouse rental prices are very cheap in Chiang Rai. With prices as low as they are I think I will open some kind of business in CR. I don't think that it would be possible to lose money in a venture in CR with the rental prices so cheap.

Hair dresser shop coould be a very good idea...most people need their hari cut...at least once in a while :D .

How about a restaurant? Everyones gotta eat...right :D I think can not loose on that one!!

CR...here I come!!

Hair dresser shop coould be a very good idea...most people need their hari cut...at least once in a while :D .

How about a restaurant? Everyones gotta eat...right :D I think can not loose on that one!!

Hair dressers are a protected Thai profession so you will have to find someone to work for you.

Restaurants and Bars are a good investment for sure, :o Just walk into any you like the look of and make them an offer they can't refuse and you will be the proud owner of your own bar or restaurant money pit. Guaranteed.

Hair dressers are a protected Thai profession so you will have to find someone to work for you.

Restaurants and Bars are a good investment for sure, :o Just walk into any you like the look of and make them an offer they can't refuse and you will be the proud owner of your own bar or restaurant money pit. Guaranteed.

I've just had a brilliant idea, i will open a nice bar in the middle of town just for all the heavy drinking expat guy's who have loads of cash to spend and time on their hands to spend it in my new place, what a fantastic idea i bet no one has ever thought of that, its a sure winner !!!!!!

I've just had a brilliant idea, i will open a nice bar in the middle of town just for all the heavy drinking expat guy's who have loads of cash to spend and time on their hands to spend it in my new place, what a fantastic idea i bet no one has ever thought of that, its a sure winner !!!!!!

Actually I think you ae probably right about the bar idea. How can anyone loose with a bar in Thailand. Everyone in Thailand loves to drink :D

How are the drinking habits of the Thais and expats in the North?? I am sure not much different than us crazy guys here in Pattaya. Sometimes I am out drinking for more than two days in a row without sleep and I can tell you...there are a lot of guys here like me. If you can get all the guys up North like me...bound to make some decent cash!!

Restaurants and Bars are a good investment for sure, :D Just walk into any you like the look of and make them an offer they can't refuse and you will be the proud owner of your own bar or restaurant money pit. Guaranteed.

Actually I think you ae probably right about the bar idea. How can anyone loose with a bar in Thailand. Everyone in Thailand loves to drink :D

How are the drinking habits of the Thais and expats in the North?? I am sure not much different than us crazy guys here in Pattaya. Sometimes I am out drinking for more than two days in a row without sleep and I can tell you...there are a lot of guys here like me. If you can get all the guys up North like me...bound to make some decent cash!!

You obviously missed the sarcasm in my reply, it must be my Northern wit :o

Right over his head.. :D

Come on guys!!! Why would there be so many bars in Thailand if there was no money in it??? It doesn't make sense.

Does anyone know of a bar or hang out that opened recently in Chiang Rai? or massage palour?? I would like to know the kind of cash they are racking in.

Right over his head.. :D

Come on guys!!! Why would there be so many bars in Thailand if there was no money in it??? It doesn't make sense.

Does anyone know of a bar or hang out that opened recently in Chiang Rai? or massage palour?? I would like to know the kind of cash they are racking in.

Of what I have read in your posts I think that buying a bar would be perfect for you!

It cannot go wrong!

You will be your best customer!

Good luck with your business!

:D:D:D

just got back from a 7 day investigative mission of chiang rai...

rent is not 3k-5k for an acceptable location, for 3k-5k you will get a one story space, that is barely large enough to do anything and far from foot traffic...

on phahonyothin road, the main strip in chiang rai's center by the night bazarre, the rent next to the lebanese restaurant is 25k per month...other parts of town close to the city center are about 10k less.

for really cheap rent you will have to go to the area that Makro is, on the way to Mae Fah Luang Uni, very far...not someplace i would want to be.

after 10pm, the night bazarre area is fairly dead as well as the jetyod area, doing business in this area dedicated to farang tourist is a risky proposition, and would only bring limited profits...bet on about an average of 8-9 customers per night, 3 of them regulars and a maximum of 15 customers during the current season....average of 3 drinks per customer.

any increase in the number of bars would only serve to lower profits and sustainablility for other establishments also.

BUT there are other areas of the city which are booming with nightlife....and if i had to choose , id open a bar dedicated to thai clientelle...and would not open any business to exploit the women of chiang rai. This small town doesnt need the corruption of sex tourist to destroy its people...go to bangkok/pattaya for that.

all in all, there is a small window of oppurtunity in chiang rai if you can identify them, as i have :o

Indeed its a Thai town. I took a walkabout Saturday night and it looks like the Tourist season is over if it ever really began.

Its a little disturbing for me seeing and hearing the shutters going down at 10:30. Don't know if its normal as I don't get out much.

As for Chiang Rai not needing the corruption of Sex Tourism to destroy its people , nice thought, but I suspect its 'alive & Kicking' and its people are 'well and truely distroyed ' by Thai clientelle.

Good Luck with your 'window of opportunity' . I'll give you six months of success before every man and his dog copies your business model.

BUT there are other areas of the city which are booming with nightlife....and if i had to choose , id open a bar dedicated to thai clientelle...and would not open any business to exploit the women of chiang rai. This small town doesnt need the corruption of sex tourist to destroy its people...go to bangkok/pattaya for that.

all in all, there is a small window of oppurtunity in chiang rai if you can identify them, as i have :D

Are you serious? Chiang Rai is swarming with girlie establishments that mostly cater to Asians and has been for many, many years. It is a center for sex tourism already! :o

Notice i said sex tourist, not locals...its when the foreign sex tourist come to town that everything goes to shit.

Retirees looking for a wife i have no problem with, its the loud mouth, drunken trouble starting, i can do what i want cuz im on vacation <deleted> im talking about...with absolutely no disregard for the community or respect for the woman theyre currently groping in public whatsoever. Some of these <deleted> are borderline rapist...you can see it in their eyes.