Gluing Wood Architrave To Cement Wall

simon43

I'm in an artistic mood right now and have been repainting a room using faux-painting (sponging effects). I've divided the wall into 2 different horizontal sections and I want to separate the 2 areas by fixing a horizontal moulding to the wall which is constructed of blocks that are finished with a rough cement skim and then painted.

I know from past experience that fixing the molding using concrete nails is not reliable. The best way is to glue the molding to the wall. In the UK, my builder used to do this and he used some sort of extremely strong glue that could stick the QE2 ship to a wall!! He didn't use a brand-name 'Superglue' though.

So, what is the best type of glue to use and is there a brand-name that I should look for?

Thanks

Simon

Yup ^^^ NoNails is very good if you can get it, otherwise the silicon that sets (not the flexible stuff you use round the bath) will also do a good job.

Both fill gaps well, good if your wall isn't as straight as it might be :o

Edited by Crossy

OK, I went down to Homepro and they had this glue AND they had the wooden molding. I was just about to buy both when I saw some attractive border on a rfoll that simply sticks to the wall. It looked better for my job and so I bought the border and stuck it on the wall.

Looks great last night!!

This morning it had fallen off the wall :o I think that the wall surface is simply not smooth enough to allow the glue on the back of the border to have effect. I need to use an additional glue.

any ideas what glue I need to use to stick a thick paper broder onto a not-perfectly-smooth concrete wall?

Thanks

Simon

If the border is actually paper, how about wallpaper paste?

Of course, this assumes you can get it here (never looked) :o

PVA wood glue (the white stuff) thinned with water and brushed on will also stick paper to pretty much anything.

You may find greater success with both of the above if you apply the glue to the wall rather than the paper. Put one lot on the wall, let it dry (so sealing up any porosity) then a second lot followed by the paper.

You may also find that after an initial wall treatment with glue/paste the sticky on the paper will work as intended :D

Edited by Crossy

OK I'll try this! I do remember that I would have the same problem back in the UK and simply used 'wet' wallpaster paste. But as you say, I havn't seen wallpaper paste over here. The PVA glue sounds the way to go.

Simon

Tesco Lotus has some glue that looks and smells like liquid nails from the states. its in a brown tube and has an USA flag on the side but i can't remember the name. anyhow, its far better than all that thai glue. Home Pro doesn't have it but Tesco does!

I'd go with the 'No Nails'. Failing that, you need a contact adhesive. We used Evo-Stick in the UK. Apply to both surfaces to be fixed, put both surfaces together, take them apart and leave until tacky, then fix together again. It should stick like sh1t to a blanket.