Credit Crunch Reaches Soi 6

Asianrider

I was walking up Soi 6 this morning to the Queen Vic for some stodge to soak up last night's beer intake, when i saw a sign at the back of the Sportsman advertising 20% off all food, and requesting everyone to tell their friends. I have never ran a restaurant but this is a significant dent into your profit margin - times must be hard. Has anyone seen any other promotions like this ?

Yes, there is a Russian/European restaurant near Soi 5 Beach Road Jomtien that has a big sign, 20 percent off, on all food. Their prices were too high anyway before the discount, so I just see it is a tricky way to present fair prices as a discount. But better than nothing I suppose. Also, the lower prices has visibly INCREASED their business. Why can't Thai businesses in general get with the program, LOWERING prices during hard times does attract customers. RAISING them just makes things worse. Yes, deflation is bad on a macro level, but for specific businesses, its a way to at least survive for awhile.

Edited by Jingthing

The sign right above the one mentioned in the OP also shows that Sportsman is for aale after 20+ years.

The discount may sound good, but the prices at Sportsman have increased dramatically over the past two years. The old 99 baht menu of 4 years ago is now 195 baht. A Diet Coke is 50 baht. And, even as prices went up, portions and quality went down.

Sure, hard times for all, but Sportsman's woes have a lot to do with just Sportsman's. (Soi 6, not Soi 13).

When they knock 20% off the price of the draft cider in the QV then we'll know the CC is biting :o .

only the english drink cider,are there enough to bother about reducing the price :D

and us Welsh, and the French, and the northern Spanish, the Irish have now moved in as well, there's even American cider. I must admit I don't drink it as a rule but on a real hot day nothing beats it. It also goes quite well with Guinness, can be drunk with lager (not for me though) and has been known to melt the toughest knicker elastic.

So I think a 20% reduction is in order. :D

When I read the title I thought the recession had brought everyone on soi 6suck to their knees.

quote of the day :o:D :D :D

Well thank you. Like the gals on the afforementioned soi, I take tips (I know some may find that hard to swallow).

When they knock 20% off the price of the draft cider in the QV then we'll know the CC is biting :o .

only the english drink cider,are there enough to bother about reducing the price :D

and us Welsh, and the French, and the northern Spanish, the Irish have now moved in as well, there's even American cider. I must admit I don't drink it as a rule but on a real hot day nothing beats it. It also goes quite well with Guinness, can be drunk with lager (not for me though) and has been known to melt the toughest knicker elastic.

So I think a 20% reduction is in order. :D

Cider and Guinness (depthcharger) only time in my life I slept on the street, literally. Cop car stopped and dragged me to the side of the road and told me if I didn't <deleted> off soon I would be mugged as I was in a bad area. Just by luck a taxi.........

when bar fines come down,short time and all night prices come down then i'll know the recession has hit.

And the first cuckoo starts to sing :o 555555555555555

Its started singing. I know this isnt Pattaya - but its singing in Bangkok :D

maverell.

well at least someone is thinking in bangkok !

i know a bar owner in chiang mai who has 5 ladyboys working for her , 3 girls , and two ? who im not sure are boys or girls and she just put a beer singh lek up to 70 baht ( most girly bars are 55 60 65 ish )

on sunday night ( a big night bazzar night in chiang mai ) where there are usually loads of tourists who want a late drink .....

she took 800 baht all night !

and complains to me that she cant keep going on those takings .

i said lower your drinks prices ..... solve the problem .

she was visably horrified at the thought of that .... i cannot !

i suspect in two weeks i will be looking for a new bar to watch pool in and 10 boys / girls /or half and halfs ? will be out of a job

its a shame coz i liked the bar / the people ! ..... dave2

This is typical thai mentality. Double the prices to make up for the loss. It's only a matter of time when they will be hurting so bad that they will have to take what they can get.

This is a good thing! Thais have been too spoiled for too long.

I was walking up Soi 6 this morning to the Queen Vic for some stodge to soak up last night's beer intake, when i saw a sign at the back of the Sportsman advertising 20% off all food, and requesting everyone to tell their friends. I have never ran a restaurant but this is a significant dent into your profit margin - times must be hard. Has anyone seen any other promotions like this ?

Been around town this weekend, happy hour seems to arrive everywhere. Although that is good to reduce my spending, I am worrying about the mid term impact. More and more bars seem to disappear and being replace by useless businesses.

More and more bars seem to disappear and being replace by useless businesses.

:D That's a brilliant quote!! :D

I agree starting non-bar businesses in the current economy should be discouraged in favor of useful businesses like those in Soi 6.

Also, let me know when bars in Pattaya are become so scarce they'e going on the UNESCO world heritage site list. :o

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

> Also, let me know when bars in Pattaya are become so scarce they'e going on the

> UNESCO world heritage site list.

Read Pattaya Mail last Friday, they are planning to make the beach bigger - that's why tourists come to Pattaya City - the beach.

Also the mono-rail project got another mention.

Storm drains are still full of rubbish - rainy season approaching, no more sand that's what we need.