Unlocking A Nokia N95 In Chiang Mai

mallmagician

Hi folks,

My brother has just received his upgrade phone in England. He is on the 3 Network, and he has sent me his old phone - a Nokia N95.

The only problem is, it has been locked to the 3 network.

So my question is 2-fold:-

Where can I get it unlocked in Chiang Mai. From the reading I've been doing, its not simply a code. It needs special hardware to unlock it.

And also, I am on AIS 1-2-Call at present. What is my best option for getting the most out of the data connection capabilities in Chiang Mai. Im in San Sai, so I guess it also depends on 3g coverage out here.

Thanks a lot,

Phil

Take it to Central Airport Plaza, the top floor in the new wing where they have the Phone & IT area. Lots of small shops there that will get your phone 'helped'.

Although.. as in Thailand the phone market has been free of such attempts at monopolizing the market and piggybacking of hardware & services for a while, [proving that the Thai market is actually more mature than some other regions like the EU that CLAIM to be opposed to monopolies and such biz practices] this may mean that these particular skills may not be very current anymore. (how's that for a paragraph.. I'm not going to edit it)

And also, I am on AIS 1-2-Call at present. What is my best option for getting the most out of the data connection capabilities in Chiang Mai.

Go to their service center and ask about the data plan options they have. There's a lot to choose from, either by time or by data unit, including inlimited plans.

Not much in the way of 3G yet in Chiang Mai, it's just a test phase using weird frequencies.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks for that Winnie. :o

Sorry to question further, but do you know if they definitely do the N95's there? Its just that they are notoriously tricky, and I worry that if I take it the wrong place, they will mess around with it trying out rubbish codes from the internet and end up Hard Locking it, or worse still completely bricking it.

Thats a shame about the 3G, I guess I will just stick on my regular Edge/GPRS dataplan.

Thanks

Phil

Ah, I've just read your edit. Yes, this is kinda what Im worried about. So Im really looking for cast iron experience with the N95 in particular, just in case they break it.

It a pretty fancy phone by my usual standards, and I dont want to break it by taking it to the wrong place.

Phil

I got my N95 "sort of" unlocked at Kad Suan Kaew about six months ago. The cost was 1000bt at the small mobile phone shops on the 3rd (I think) floor. The technique was to attach an adhesive circuit to the Thai sim card, which somehow fools the phone into thinking it has it's original sim card inserted. In reality of course it is still locked, but it works fine while you have this specific sim card inserted. So it's an option if you only need to use it in Thailand. I've had no problems at all with mine.