2009 Formula One Season

My opinion on tracks comes down to which ones have produced the most exciting races. No doubt wacky you'll put me straight, but no races at Silverstone particularly stick in my mind. Any classics you recall?

P.S. Do you reckon come the end of the season you will have worked out how to use quoted text? :)

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My opinion on tracks comes down to which ones have produced the most exciting races. No doubt wacky you'll put me straight, but no races at Silverstone particularly stick in my mind. Any classics you recall?

P.S. Do you reckon come the end of the season you will have worked out how to use quoted text? :)

Not a chance mate. :D

I see that Donningtons contract to hold F1 races has now been extended from 10yrs to 17yrs by old Bernie.

If the manufacturers do not resolve their dispute by 19th then we could find ourselves short of 8 teams, although Ferrari have said they could start their own world Championship.

The cost of upgrading and preparing Donnington for F1 has apparently fallen from 100 million pounds to a mere 80 million pounds what are they going to spend that much on.

P.S. Do you reckon come the end of the season you will have worked out how to use quoted text? :) [/quote

I suppose Monaco is a favourite track for a lot of people but if your on pole and everything hangs together it's almost like a procession, I have been there 4times over the years and the most memorable race was Mansell trying to get past Senna but as far as Silerstone is concernedI would have to think about that.

P.S Oh the time Shumacher broke his leg,........... no just joking really :D:D:D:D .

as far as Silerstone is concernedI would have to think about that.

Which is as good as saying "no". Classic races stick in your head and don't usually require thought to be given to remember them - unless of course they were many moons ago.

P.S. Seems your mastering of quoted text was something of a false dawn! :) Bit more practice - almost there mate!

Favourite race at Silverstone has to be Nigel Mansells race in 1992 which he won overtaking Nelson Piquet at "I think it was Stowe" near the end of the race.

Then of course there was the defrocked priest starkers running on the track, not a race really as he didn't have much of a chance but funny though, albeit dangerous, he might have caught a cold. :):D .

Favourite race at Silverstone has to be Nigel Mansells race in 1992 which he won overtaking Nelson Piquet at "I think it was Stowe" near the end of the race.

Then of course there was the defrocked priest starkers running on the track, not a race really as he didn't have much of a chance but funny though, albeit dangerous, he might have caught a cold. :):D .

I think that was 93/94 not sure now.

Hi

That looney got 2 months in the slammer for his escapades at Silverstone 2003.. he obviously did not learn his lesson as he then went on to stop a runner destined for gold in the Athens Olympics Marathon and got a further jail sentence for his troubles. Religion Huh!

TBWG :)

FOTA has decided to start rival championship series on their own. They issued press release today confirming that they have informed FIA that they are not going to sign up for next year without conditions. They also accuse Bernie for not paying up tens of millions money to the teams from tv etc rights since 2006.

Read FOTA's press release HERE

Some meadia is already reporting that FOTA teams have already informed FIA that they are not going to drive under FIA sanctioned championship next year even if FIA agrees their earlier conditions.

What are you thoughts ? One more round to add pressure on FIA to advance negotiations or are they serious ? And if they do set up new series which one you gonna follow, FIA one with standard Cosworth engines or "old" F1 teams with free hand on engine and car development ?

FOTA teams for new series are:

1. BMW

2. Brawn

3. Ferrari

4. McLaren

5. Red Bull

6. Renault

7. Toro Rosso

8. Toyota

There is already reports that Lola is going to be with FOTA and personally i believe Prodrive might be interested.

Teams remaining in FIA series:

1. Williams

2. Force India

3. Campos

4. USF1

5. Manor

And propably most of the new teams that FIA designated as backup.

Personally i believe there is high risk that both series will fail. FIA will be in deep trouble as most of Bernies sponsors and tv rights contracts will lose their value as the big names and teams are not there so they run out of money pretty soon. For FOTA the biggest risk is to finance the new series and secure those contracts required to make it available globally. Also some tracks have binding agreements with FIA so first couple of years will be difficult.

I also believe it is not over yet and there is still possibility that agreement is reached. We shall know more tomorrow when FIA is due to announce participants for next season.

Edited by MJo

FOTA has decided to start rival championship series on their own. They issued press release today confirming that they have informed FIA that they are not going to sign up for next year without conditions. They also accuse Bernie for not paying up tens of millions money to the teams from tv etc rights since 2006.

Read FOTA's press release HERE

Some meadia is already reporting that FOTA teams have already informed FIA that they are not going to drive under FIA sanctioned championship next year even if FIA agrees their earlier conditions.

What are you thoughts ? One more round to add pressure on FIA to advance negotiations or are they serious ? And if they do set up new series which one you gonna follow, FIA one with standard Cosworth engines or "old" F1 teams with free hand on engine and car development ?

FOTA teams for new series are:

1. BMW

2. Brawn

3. Ferrari

4. McLaren

5. Red Bull

6. Renault

7. Toro Rosso

8. Toyota

There is already reports that Lola is going to be with FOTA and personally i believe Prodrive might be interested.

Teams remaining in FIA series:

1. Williams

2. Force India

3. Campos

4. USF1

5. Manor

And propably most of the new teams that FIA designated as backup.

Personally i believe there is high risk that both series will fail. FIA will be in deep trouble as most of Bernies sponsors and tv rights contracts will lose their value as the big names and teams are not there so they run out of money pretty soon. For FOTA the biggest risk is to finance the new series and secure those contracts required to make it available globally. Also some tracks have binding agreements with FIA so first couple of years will be difficult.

I also believe it is not over yet and there is still possibility that agreement is reached. We shall know more tomorrow when FIA is due to announce participants for next season.

Some of the best tracks in the world are now excluded by Bernie because they would not give into his extortion. That alone will allow the FOTA group to gain enormous interest from the sponsers by going back to such famous tracks as Gile Villneuve, Spa and of course Silverstone from next year. Also don't forget the Canadian and US GP's are currently missing. No, if FOTA has the support of the major sponsors, which they claim to have, plus as we know the main manufactures, Bernie and Max are going to be left with egg all over their face. Any way IMHO it won't come to that because Baron von Max will get kicked off the FIA in October in the interests of the sport, that will provide an opportunity to rid itself of this self imposed dictator and hopefully the midget also who also is not "squeeky clean" in this matter.

To me the answer is simple as with other motor sports have 2 different groups then both groups would have winners in the same race, of course a 2 tier formula in the same race would not work... But F1 with group A cars and Group B cars both fighting for position in there own group, maybe as in other formulas there would be a lot more overtaking

Edit therefore there could be up to 40 cars in the race that should be fun and interesting ??

Edited by ignis

Toronto have pulled out of talks with Bernie. They don't want a chopped version of F1. Accordong to the planet F1 forums. Silverstone and Hockenheim (spelling?) are interested in a FOTA race.

One of the things that is pissing FOTA off is that 50% of the money generated by the sport leaves the sport. ie into Berni'e pocket.

Edit. Good article here

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3261_5388264,00.html

Edited by Mosha

Also Valencia is saying they will not organize races without main teams and star drivers. Unless Bernie heavily discounts his 18M euro price tag for the right to organize races...

We might see the end of F1 for now and maybe get back to FIA regulated series after couple of years once Mad Max is out and things reconsiled.

Hi

OK so it seems Silverstone is not going to be an automatic Button Victory, so who is your money on? For me I would like to see a Webber maiden victory ~~~ time will tell.

How many more races before KERS is abandoned? Max had the teams spend more than the equivalent of next years proposed budget on the system. The teams should have had a WHIP round to fund his retirement instead.

^^ Yep the business with KERS just illustrates how badly managed the FIA are.

It's so sad to see the sport in complete disaray at a time when things are really interesting on the track. And what worries me even more than the confusion that's distracting from this season is what will happen next season. How on earth will the teams be able to have the cars ready when they have no idea for the future who will be running the sport, what the regulations will be, where they will be racing... etc. The full impact of the current mess i don't think will be felt until next year is what i'm saying.

The cronies at the FIA have so much to answer for - i sincerely hope their days are numbered. The sport desperately needs fresh minds and fresh faces to manage it.

P.S. Congrats to Vettel for a flawless performance. Sorry that Webber wasn't able to take it to him.

P.P.S. How many times did dumb ass Slater wet himself with the cars turning in first and then braking?! Yes it's impressive but don't mean you gotta tell us a hundred times <deleted>!!!

Edited by rixalex

How many more races before KERS is abandoned? Max had the teams spend more than the equivalent of next years proposed budget on the system. The teams should have had a WHIP round to fund his retirement instead.

Flavio Briattorre ?? was quoted the other day stating that his team had spent 15 million on Kers and another 10 million on the double deck wing and with the proposed 30 million cap that would leave them with just the 5 million to pay wages and expenses. ps. the quote was before they raised the limit to 40 million.

Great race by Vettel and Webber, but also good to see Barrachello on the podium. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there were 4 from the top 6 cars built in Britain?

Cheers, Rick

HI

Five actually only Massa Ferrari the impostor!

Flavio Briattorre ?? was quoted the other day stating that his team had spent 15 million on Kers and another 10 million on the double deck wing and with the proposed 30 million cap that would leave them with just the 5 million to pay wages and expenses. ps. the quote was before they raised the limit to 40 million.

I believe it was said that Max's budget cap would result in 2000 job cuts in the sport. May be he would like the job of handing out the redundancy notices.

Great race by Vettel and Webber, but also good to see Barrachello on the podium. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there were 4 from the top 6 cars built in Britain?

Cheers, Rick

HI

They all are collection of parts manufactured all around. Even Massa's Ferrari has gearbox from UK factory...

Cheers, Rick

HI

They all are collection of parts manufactured all around. Even Massa's Ferrari has gearbox from UK factory...

It's just great to know that the British automotive industry is not dead. The East may have the mass production, but we still have the innovation. Anyway i really enjoyed the race and a lot of the best battles were going on at the rear of the field.

Cheers, Rick

It's just great to know that the British automotive industry is not dead. The East may have the mass production, but we still have the innovation. Anyway i really enjoyed the race and a lot of the best battles were going on at the rear of the field.

Cheers, Rick

Quality over quantity, i wish i had the money to buy one of these british cars :D

But it was good race indeed and even i don't like that much star coverage with the commercial breaks they show good battles in midfield most of the time :)

Max backs away from legal action

http://msn.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5395272,00.html

Meanwhile FOTA are looking at Adelaide for their Aussie race.

So is the breakaway confirmed? I can't find anything in the news.

Cheers, Rick

At the moment nothing more than pontificating and posturing going on. Bernie will not let his golden goose get away otherwise he will never achieve his ambition of being the richest old man in the universe.

PS Somewhere I read that Ferrari have great sway over the Monaco GP and that in the event of a FOTA breakaway it would follow them. A championship without the Monaco GP would not have any credibility. Perhaps they are using this as ammunition to get Spanker Max to retire at the end of his current term... all will then be sweetness and light!

Hi

OK all done & Dusted ~~~~

F1 resolution found, says Mosley

Mosley will now step down as FIA president as planned in October later this year

An agreement has been reached between Formula 1's governing body and the teams to prevent a breakaway series, says FIA president Max Mosley.

The two parties had been engulfed in a bitter row over planned budgetary and technical changes for the 2010 season.

But it appears a resolution has now been found and, as part of the deal, Mosley has agreed not to stand for re-election as president.

"There will be no split. We have agreed to a reduction of costs," added Mosley.

"There will be one F1 championship but the objective is to get back to the spending levels of the early 90s within two years."

Ahead of the meeting, Mosley had insisted that he would not step down as part of any potential agreement and might even seek re-election as head of world motor sport.

He hit out at what he described as "wholly unjustified criticism" of the FIA, adding: "It is for the FIA membership, and the FIA membership alone, to decide on its democratically elected leadership, not the motor industry and still less the individuals the industry employs to run its Formula 1 teams."

However, it appears Mosley has now agreed to move aside when his fourth term as FIA president ends in October, while writs that had been threatened against Ferrari and the other teams in the Formula 1 Teams Association (Fota) - McLaren, BMW Sauber, Renault, Toyota, Red Bull Racing, Toro Rosso and Brawn GP - are likely to be shelved.

"It's come as a bit of a surprise, given that Fota were planning to meet in Bologna on Thursday to discuss their plans for the breakaway championship," reported BBC sports news correspondent James Munro from Paris.

"But what we got today after a meeting of World Motorsport Council was an impromptu press conference and Mosley began by saying there will be no split, there will be one championship.

"He said that over the course of the negotiations he had been able to secure guarantees from the teams who were threatening to get away that they would try to reign back the levels of their spending to the levels they were spending in the early 90s.

"It was him that had come up with the idea that next season all teams would have a budget cap of about £40m, but there has clearly been a trade-off as he has also agreed to do what he says was always the plan - stand down as president of the FIA this October."

Right now some racing please....................TBWG

Hi

Official FIA list

Confirmed 2010 teams

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

BMW Sauber F1 Team

Renault F1 Team

Panasonic Toyota Racing

Scuderia Toro Rosso

Red Bull Racing

AT&T Williams