What Happened To The Downunder?

heybruce

In my search for decent restaurants and bars in the Nimmanhamin area I came across a number of positive reviews of the Downunder, but can't find it on the corner of Nimmanhamin and Soi 11, which is where the map places it. Is the map wrong, or is the Downunder no more?

It became Rubys Cabaret Club and now it's an Italian.

I shudder to think how high the rents are there it must make it extremely difficult especially for a Farang place.

Thanks for the info, though I'm sorry to read it. Still looking for a decent eating and drinking place on Nimmanhamin where a 50 year old farang doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Yes, both Bake and Bite locations have the best crisp BLT sandwich, pancakes with real bacon pieces and maple-ish syrup, even a turkey sandwich with cranberry inside.

Could someone supply directions to the one on Nimmanhamin? Pretty close to where I work at the uni and sounds like a good lunch or breakfast stop.

Bake and Bite is on a soi about 60 meters west off Nimmanhamin. I think it is the soi on which you find Starbucks if you go east. There was a small B&B sign at the soi. You go up the soi and on the left there is large new condo or hotel construction, on the right, a bit hard to spot, is B&B just before the work out gym place with lawn in front. The soi continues past some night clubs and a large parking lot to the Canal Road.

Edited by Bill97

Thanks for the info, though I'm sorry to read it. Still looking for a decent eating and drinking place on Nimmanhamin where a 50 year old farang doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

:o:D:D

A 50 year old falong (or farang if you wish) is going to stick out ANYWHERE in Thailand, except some beach in Phuket, Pattaya or a expat's club. :D

Just "blend in" like I do... :D:wai::P

Ian_Bom.jpg

:o:D:D

A 50 year old falong (or farang if you wish) is going to stick out ANYWHERE in Thailand, except some beach in Phuket, Pattaya or a expat's club. :D

Just "blend in" like I do... :D:wai::P

Ian_Bom.jpg

Looking pretty good for 50....oh wait, are you the one on the right?

How about Bake and Bite for breakfast or lunchtime?

There seem to be a lot of good restaurants out there, but it is too far away to tempt me.

They're good for breakfast and lunch, but I'm primarily interested in dinner and a few beers.

In my search for decent restaurants and bars in the Nimmanhamin area I came across a number of positive reviews of the Downunder, but can't find it on the corner of Nimmanhamin and Soi 11, which is where the map places it. Is the map wrong, or is the Downunder no more?

Bruce... Give the Kiat Num a try sometime. It is one soi south of the Starbucks soi so I think that makes it soi 13. Kiat Num is a great place for an afternoon beer and a great economical lunch.

Yes, both Bake and Bite locations have the best crisp BLT sandwich, pancakes with real bacon pieces and maple-ish syrup, even a turkey sandwich with cranberry inside.

Could someone supply directions to the one on Nimmanhamin? Pretty close to where I work at the uni and sounds like a good lunch or breakfast stop.

It's in a soi leading up to that huge parking lot area in between Nimmanhaemin and the Canal Road. See the link below, it's probably Soi 6, or the one just south from it:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=18....mp;t=h&z=18

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Bake and Bite is on a soi about 60 meters west off Nimmanhamin. I think it is the soi on which you find Starbucks if you go east. There was a small B&B sign at the soi. You go up the soi and on the left there is large new condo or hotel construction, on the right, a bit hard to spot, is B&B just before the work out gym place with lawn in front. The soi continues past some night clubs and a large parking lot to the Canal Road.

it's soi 6 off nimmanhaemin i think, the one with smoothie blues on one corner and the new empire condo and the tesco express on the other corner. bake and bite is tucked away around the back there by the powerhouse gym. best breakfasts and lunches in town i think and the staff are really friendly there too.

Bruce... Give the Kiat Num a try sometime. It is one soi south of the Starbucks soi so I think that makes it soi 13. Kiat Num is a great place for an afternoon beer and a great economical lunch.

Not far from where I live, I'll give it a try. Thanks.