I Got The Retirement Visa, Now What? ?

I plan on leaving and reentering thailand about six times within the 365 day period of the retirement visa.

I got some blank TM 47 forms at immigration. Am i correct that before I leave thailand, each time, i must go to an immigration office and file this form, or can i just fill it out and show it when i depart thailand at the airport?

also, i paid 3,900 baht: one receipt was for 2,000 baht, and other for 1,900 baht. i asked for a mutiple entry visa, but there is no indication of those words on the visa. does it sound like that's what i got? everytime i leave then reenter thailand, how much do I pay, and who do I pay it to?

i didn't see this info on the immigration website.

I plan on leaving and reentering thailand about six times within the 365 day period of the retirement visa.

I got some blank TM 47 forms at immigration. Am i correct that before I leave thailand, each time, i must go to an immigration office and file this form, or can i just fill it out and show it when i depart thailand at the airport?

also, i paid 3,900 baht: one receipt was for 2,000 baht, and other for 1,900 baht. i asked for a mutiple entry visa, but there is no indication of those words on the visa. does it sound like that's what i got? everytime i leave then reenter thailand, how much do I pay, and who do I pay it to?

What you have is a 12 month extension of stay. Not a Visa. If you stay in Thailand for 90 days or more you have to report to Immigration.

If you plan on leaving 6 times you need a Multi Re Entry Pemit from Immigration 3,800 Baht fee. If you do not have this your extension will finish the day you leave and you will have to start all over again.

The TM.47 is only used if you stay 90 days or more - if you travel the time ends when you leave and starts at day 1 when you return. So you might not have to use any 90 day address report forms at all.

Edited by lopburi3

The 90 day clock for using the TM 47 starts the day you enter the country. You have a plus/minus 7 day window to file TM 47.

What new stamps did you get for your 3900 baht and which office did you obtain extension?

Edited by ballbreaker

The 90 day clock for using the TM 47 starts the day you enter the country. You have a plus/minus 7 day window to file TM 47.

What new stamps did you get for your 3900 baht and which office did you obtain extension?

I assume 2,000 to change to a Non Imm Visa and 1,900 for the extension.

That depends. You can get a non-O visa and get a permission to stay for 90 days. If you either have an income of 40,000 a month OR 400,000 in Thai bank account for 2 months you can get an extension of stay of 1 year from immigration within Thailand. (In both cases the money has to be yours only)

A multiple non-O would allow you to come and go within 1 year, provided you don't stay longer then 90 days each time you enter.

What you have is a 12 month extension of stay. Not a Visa. If you stay in Thailand for 90 days or more you have to report to Immigration.

If you plan on leaving 6 times you need a Multi Re Entry Pemit from Immigration 3,800 Baht fee. If you do not have this your extension will finish the day you leave and you will have to start all over again.

So at what point do i get this multi re entry permit from immigration, and pay the 3,800 fee? do i get that before i leave thailand, at an immigration office, or do i get it at the airport when leaving or when arriving?

You must get it at the immigration office that you got your extension of stay.

ok i get it there, but do i get it before, or do i get it after i reenter thailand, and in what time window can i get it? i guess the answer is i get it before; but how soon before? and what do i pay for it?

You must get it at the immigration office that you got your extension of stay.

ok i get it there, but do i get it before, or do i get it after i reenter thailand, and in what time window can i get it? i guess the answer is i get it before; but how soon before? and what do i pay for it?

Must get before you leave. Can obtain now and it will be good till your retirement extension expires.

Edited by ballbreaker

As said you must get before you leave Thailand. It will have the same expiration date as your current permitted to stay stamp. Cost is 1,000 baht single entry or 3,800 baht multi entry (unlimited number of entries - which is what you need). If doing in Bangkok you can email application to save some time.

See right column of link.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php

Jerry,

You need to fill out form TM8 "APPLICATION FOR RE-ENTRY PERMIT INTO THE KINGDOM". Check the "multiple block". Bring the form, your passport, and B3,800 to immigration. Get a queue number from the information desk for the re-entry permit window - window #7. When your number is called at window #7, hand in your completed form, passport and B3,800. You will then wait about 15-20 minutes while they process your request and stamp your passport. You will then be called back to the window to collect your passport with the new multiple entry permit stamped in it. It will expire on the same day as your 1-year extension.

Jerry,

You need to fill out form TM8 "APPLICATION FOR RE-ENTRY PERMIT INTO THE KINGDOM". Check the "multiple block". Bring the form, your passport, and B3,800 to immigration. Get a queue number from the information desk for the re-entry permit window - window #7. When your number is called at window #7, hand in your completed form, passport and B3,800. You will then wait about 15-20 minutes while they process your request and stamp your passport. You will then be called back to the window to collect your passport with the new multiple entry permit stamped in it. It will expire on the same day as your 1-year extension.

Good info. for anyone in Bankok but we do not know where Gerry is.

EDIT.

I think he is in Pattaya, so he will be applying there.

He'll need a 4cm x 6cm photo, as well. In Pattaya they also wanted photocopies of the picture page and the extension stamp, but as with many things, that may not be the case nationwide.

I read some people are having issues with the 400K not being in the Thai bank long enough, why don't you just leave the 400K in the bank so there are no problems with the length of time??

Some people want interest for their money.Thai banks pay s**t. :o

1. Because they have not had an account long enough to meet the requirement.

2. Because they do not have 400k they can keep inactive.

3. Because they do not have 400k.

4. Because Immigration officers often want to see money movement - using the fund to support Thai wife.

5. Because this was not an option last year. They changed the rules and changed them back. Hard to keep up when they do not advise people until after the fact.

1. Because they have not had an account long enough to meet the requirement.

2. Because they do not have 400k they can keep inactive.

3. Because they do not have 400k.

4. Because Immigration officers often want to see money movement - using the fund to support Thai wife.

5. Because this was not an option last year. They changed the rules and changed them back. Hard to keep up when they do not advise people until after the fact.

Exactly. Now they are talking about having the money in the bank for 3 months, when the law says 2 months.

Hi,

Lopburi3 wrote:

"4. Because Immigration officers often want to see money movement - using the fund to support Thai wife."

Is it the same for the 800K retirement money? I've left it in the Bank untouched since February 2008, and did plan to leave it untouched in future. I thought it would simplify Retirement renewals every year.

I can provide ATM slips to show living expenses here, and I also have another Thai bank account I use for shopping etc.

Good to see Lopburi3 back, by the way.

Hi,

Lopburi3 wrote:

"4. Because Immigration officers often want to see money movement - using the fund to support Thai wife."

Is it the same for the 800K retirement money? I've left it in the Bank untouched since February 2008, and did plan to leave it untouched in future. I thought it would simplify Retirement renewals every year.

I can provide ATM slips to show living expenses here, and I also have another Thai bank account I use for shopping etc.

Good to see Lopburi3 back, by the way.

Many Retirees do this. They may want to see some evidence on how you are supporting yourself without using this money.

They are normally not concerned when on retirement with seeing money usage. Often people just put into fixed account and never touch.

With the old, now changed,ruling,wouldn't have been a problem.

Nobody in his right mind would believe that the Thai wife doesn't spend ALL HER money;and some! :o