Cat - Cdma Speeds Vs Signal Strength

ThaiLife

Ive been using the CAT CDMA , with a MC727 USB modem, and generally happy with the results, the MC727 is connected to an external roof antenna , which has been positioned using the MobiLikn signal strength desktop display , and when connected the signal strength is showing Full. Last night when I was connected to the MC727 , there was a thunderstorm , so I un plugged the external antenna , at the time I was downloading a file , but noticed that when I un plugged the external antenna the download speed did not decrease very much , so to day I did some speed tests with the external antenna connected and with it disconnected ..

With antenna connected .. ( signal strength showing Full 3 bars)

1463 / 234 - 469ms

1445 / 206 - 590ms

No antenna connected ... ( signal strength showing 1 bar )

1428 / 224 - 601ms

1400 / 213 - 621ms

The thing I am wondering is , why when the external antenna is not connected

are the speeds not too different than with the external antenna connected ?

or am I missing some thing :o

Yes i believe you are. The speed of your internet connection is not really connected with the signal strenght. One bar or three bars you have signal and your connection "works" the same. Same with mobile phone calls, one bar or full bars give you same voice quality.

Only when your signal get's very low you start to see the difference (connection cutting on and off when reaching the limit of the coverage area).

Yes i believe you are. The speed of your internet connection is not really connected with the signal strenght. One bar or three bars you have signal and your connection "works" the same. Same with mobile phone calls, one bar or full bars give you same voice quality.

Only when your signal get's very low you start to see the difference (connection cutting on and off when reaching the limit of the coverage area).

Thanks , as the speeds don't seem to be that much different with the antenna connected '' Vs'' not connected, I am still a bit confused as to why ? , as you would have though having an external roof antenna connected would boost the speeds to a much better level ?

Propably just to ensure there is signal so you are able to connect. As you said without the antenna you get only 1 bar for signal. Move your modem couple of meters and you might not get anything at all.

However if you do get signal, one bar or full bars then you get connection to internet and the speed of your internet is not dependent on the signal strenght of the RF network.

Also possible that the network coverage has been increased after the installation of the external antenna. I.e. needed before but not anymore. Operators constantly add cellsites and also optimize the coverage and performance of the existing sites.

Any case the signal being low without the antenna i would keep using the existing external antenna just to make sure the signal is good enough to ensure connection at all times.

Edited by MJo

Propably just to ensure there is signal so you are able to connect. As you said without the antenna you get only 1 bar for signal. Move your modem couple of meters and you might not get anything at all.

However if you do get signal, one bar or full bars then you get connection to internet and the speed of your internet is not dependent on the signal strenght of the RF network.

Also possible that the network coverage has been increased after the installation of the external antenna. I.e. needed before but not anymore. Operators constantly add cellsites and also optimize the coverage and performance of the existing sites.

Any case the signal being low without the antenna i would keep using the existing external antenna just to make sure the signal is good enough to ensure connection at all times.

Thanks again, I originally took my netbook up on the roof, and used the on screen signal bar read out to position the antenna to the best and highest signal received strength position,thinking that the better the signal received the better the speed results. I just had it in my mind that connecting an external antenna would all ways give far better results than not having an external antenna connected, but in my case as you can see that's not happening . The CAT tower is about 6 Km away from my house .

I'm not really up to date as to how CDMA EVDO exactly works, but apparently it is more a case of as long as you have signal, it works.

Maybe the external antenna comes in handy when having very bad weather.

This is different from for example GPRS/EDGE where the signal strength dictates the maximum compression the system can do, and hence the maximum amount of data that can be sent per second.

With Edge, at 1 bar of signal you'll normally only see maybe 25% of the speed compared to full signal!

I'm not really up to date as to how CDMA EVDO exactly works, but apparently it is more a case of as long as you have signal, it works.

This is different from for example GPRS/EDGE where the signal strength dictates the maximum compression the system can do, and hence the maximum amount of data that can be sent per second.

With Edge, at 1 bar of signal you'll normally only see maybe 25% of the speed compared to full signal!

Hi, may be I am getting mixed up with when I was using EDGE , and my mobile phone

a Sony Ericsson K790i , was also connect to an external roof antenna , and there was

a big difference with the connection speeds when the external antenna was not connected, just seem's a bit strange that my MC727 speeds are not that much different when the external antenna is not connected :o

I see a big difference in signal strength and data throughput with CAT. In the home, 4 bars, 100 kBps(used to be 140) In the shop, 3 bars and 30 kBps.

And I am still having problems with hanging while downloading.

I see a big difference in signal strength and data throughput with CAT. In the home, 4 bars, 100 kBps(used to be 140) In the shop, 3 bars and 30 kBps.

And I am still having problems with hanging while downloading.

I still don't really understand the no antenna Vs with antenna thing ?, a few days ago I was getting some total signal drop's , but its seem's now to be back to its stable past .

Are the hanging problems some thing you have been experiencing over a period of time , or just in the past few days ? and are you using an external antenna at all ?

I'm using the CAT CDMA right now, 18km by road from the nearest tower, so probably around 12km in a straight line. I don't have an external antenna, and get 3 bars out of 5 on my signal indicator. According to speedtest.net I'm getting 360kb/sec right now. My signal does occasionally drop out, so I'll be getting an external antenna soon. It'll be interesting to see if it does improve the speed any.

I am not using an external antennae as I am only 2 or 3 kilometres from the tower.

I have been having problem with hanging and disconnects for around 2 months now. I keep expecting it to clear up, but I am definitely calling CAT next week.

Hi,

I'm using a Sierra AirCard 580 and prior to last Friday I was getting a great signal and good download speeds. Now my signal goes out numerous times each day and download speeds (120KBs-140KBs) have dropped by 60 to 75%. My signal bars are between 4 and 5 bars. What's going on? :o

Greg

Edited by Thaigreg

Same here more familiar with GSM systems, but not an expert on them either.

Anyways it seems i was wrong in my earlier posts as quick check shows that EVDO data speeds are indeed connected to the signal strenght. My apologies for the confusion :o

It is quoted that if your EVDO signal strenght is -80dBm or better (between 0 and -80) you should get the max speed available. Less than that meaning -81 or lower the speed is affected by the poor signal.

Not using EVDO myself but i would assume you can see the signal strenght (sometimes called RSSI) value in your access/connection manager software by taking your mouse over the signal bars or then it might be incuded in one of the status screens. If you find it in CAT/modem sw then you could easily check the dBm's to see if the signal is sufficient. Do the check same time when your connection is active. I.e. performing speedtest.net test.

Same here more familiar with GSM systems, but not an expert on them either.

Anyways it seems i was wrong in my earlier posts as quick check shows that EVDO data speeds are indeed connected to the signal strenght. My apologies for the confusion :o

It is quoted that if your EVDO signal strenght is -80dBm or better (between 0 and -80) you should get the max speed available. Less than that meaning -81 or lower the speed is affected by the poor signal.

Not using EVDO myself but i would assume you can see the signal strenght (sometimes called RSSI) value in your access/connection manager software by taking your mouse over the signal bars or then it might be incuded in one of the status screens. If you find it in CAT/modem sw then you could easily check the dBm's to see if the signal is sufficient. Do the check same time when your connection is active. I.e. performing speedtest.net test.

Thanks for that, interesting info - I will now have a look to see what I can find ( RSSI ) Etc and post back .

Thanks , as the speeds don't seem to be that much different with the antenna connected '' Vs'' not connected, I am still a bit confused as to why ? , as you would have though having an external roof antenna connected would boost the speeds to a much better level ?

Although both use digital technology CDMA uses something called spread spectrum. Its much more robust with lower signal levels and interference because of the spreading of the signal bandwidth. With low signal levels narrow band interference will not affect CDMA because of the wide bandwidth but will cause interference with GSM signals which use a narrow bandwidth signal.

If you were to look at both signals using a spectrum analyzer the CDMA signal would look much like noise but the GSM signal would easily be seen as RF signal.

• 2 weeks later...
Ive been using the CAT CDMA , with a MC727 USB modem, and generally happy with the results, the MC727 is connected to an external roof antenna , which has been positioned using the MobiLikn signal strength desktop display , and when connected the signal strength is showing Full. Last night when I was connected to the MC727 , there was a thunderstorm , so I un plugged the external antenna , at the time I was downloading a file , but noticed that when I un plugged the external antenna the download speed did not decrease very much , so to day I did some speed tests with the external antenna connected and with it disconnected ..

With antenna connected .. ( signal strength showing Full 3 bars)

1463 / 234 - 469ms

1445 / 206 - 590ms

No antenna connected ... ( signal strength showing 1 bar )

1428 / 224 - 601ms

1400 / 213 - 621ms

The thing I am wondering is , why when the external antenna is not connected

are the speeds not too different than with the external antenna connected ?

or am I missing some thing :o

I have just bought the MC727 as didn't know CAT CDMA existed when I got Ipstar

So far the best d/l speed I've had is about 600Kbps.

I'm a bit confused as my signal indicator has 5 bars and at it's best has shown 3.

post-12326-1238991568_thumb.jpg

post-12326-1238991588_thumb.jpg

Also to the right it shows you the technology level, Sometimes it will still show EV-DO Rev A with only 1 bar, but usually 1XRTT

I would love to get the speeds you are, so maybe I do need an external antenna.

BTW what speed test do you use?

I too have just purchased MC727 as told by CAT that with an exterior antenna I would have no trouble getting EV-DO "A". Without the exterior antenna I was getting either No Bars (searching for network) and sometimes when lucky! 1 Bar (1XRTT). Excitement when 3 nights ago the exterior antenna was fitted and when directed this rose to 3 Bars (EV-DO "A"). That evening all went well and I even managed to Skype England (Skype and the better speeds quoted were the main reasons I went for this system).

BUT

over the last 2 days the Bar score has been going up and down like a yoyo - once or twice hitting 5 Bars for a few seconds. Problem is that I am liable to be on the internet, sending an email or on Skype and suddenly the Bar system drops to NOUGHT and I lose my connection and find that MobiLink Lite is "Searching for Network"!! Talk about frustrating!!

Reading Thai Visa - Computers etc. over the last few days several people seem to be having queries over CAT EV-DO "A" so is it

that

CAT is having a problem at present?

or

Is it my system?

I have read that 1 Bar (1XRTT) is slower than 3 Bars (EV-DO "A") so signal strength does make a bit of a difference.

1 thought I have is that if it is my system, does anyone know if I can buy a Booster to improve the strength of the signal that I get from my exterior antenna.

Any thoughts MUCH appreciated.

Download Updated drivers at

http://www.nvtl.com/index.php?option=com_c...&Itemid=312

I don't know if will help you or not.

You will probably need to restart after installing new drivers although it doesn't tell you. If it doesn't help and makes it worse, uninstal Mobilink Lite and reinstal using the disc.

I am having similar problems to you when I try to use the modem with my brand new desktop, whereas on my old laptop it works great. I have started another topic here...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Testing-Usb-Ports-t255264.html

But not much response as yet. If you are using a desktop try connecting to a rear USB port. I get better service than if I try to connect to the front USB ports, but still not half as good as I get with the laptop. If on a laptop, try different USB ports it may make a difference

Loong,

As suggested by you I have gone from UBS 'front' to UBS 'back'.

You're a genius!! Instant 4 Bars AND what speed!!

Now I have to see whether it lasts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have printed off your other suggestions and if still variable will try those as well

BUT

ALL looks very promising.

Thanks so much and if you are ever up in the Surin province of Isaan, let me know and I will buy you a drink (or if sterling doesn't drop any further - maybe even 2!!)

Anthony.

:o:D:D:D:D:wai:

Loong,

Just done a Thai Visa speed test.

Latency. 749

Down Loads 642 Kbps

Up Loads. 145 Kbps

Better than I was getting in Bangkok just over a week ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am Happy Man!!

Loong,

Just done a Thai Visa speed test.

Latency. 749

Down Loads 642 Kbps

Up Loads. 145 Kbps

Better than I was getting in Bangkok just over a week ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am Happy Man!!

Now you're confusing me, you connected to CAT CDMA in Bangkok?????

Anyway, I'm happy that things are going better for you - and no WAY am I a genius. Advise came from better brains than me, but I discovered that by trial and desperation.

Sorry to have caused confusion.

Bangkok was Broadband via True/TOT telephone line.

No landline here where we are in the sticks of Surin province so settled on CAT EV-DO!

Still works beautifully!!

I bought a MC727 from CAT and I use it both on an Apple iMac and a ASUS N10J Netbook running Windows XP ( sp3 )

I also purchased from CAT an external roof antenna , and the small adaptor lead that connects the external antenna to the MC272 Modem. This is a post I made to another forum just after I first set up my iMac..

So This is my experience so far ..

For some time now I have been thinking of trying the CAT CDMA system , so after talking to the nearest CAT office

to confirm that if I took my Apple Mac to them , could they set up a MC727 modem on it , so I could see and test it on my iMac , to which they said yes , so I arrived at the CAT office and spoke to the manageress who had originally confirmed that yes they could set up a MC727 modem on my Mac

I then ask if an Engineer could set up a MC727 modem on my Mac, which I had took with me , Sorry but the engineer has not come to work to day, he is sick said the manageress. As its a long way to the CAT office I was not too pleased and asked if another engineer was available to set up the modem on my Mac, no sorry only one engineer knows how to set up a Mac computer.

The managerress then said go and get your Mac and I can try and set the modem up for you , what do I have to loose I thought , so off to the pickup and back to the CAT office carrying a huge box containing the iMac 24 inch , well the whole office went quiet when the Mac was taken out of its box and placed on the manageress desk, I could tell by her look and the large crowd gathering around the Mac , that things were going to get interesting from this point on. I booted up the Mac and loaded the MC727 software CD , it was recognized ok, and the manageress followed the on screen setup , at first the iMac would not connect to the internet, I then thought does the modem have to be activated on the CAT system to allow the internet connection?, I pointed this out to the manageress who gave the normal Thai smile , and she went over to a computer and activated the Modem connection number. Well after trying for 10 minuets to no avail. the manageress picked up her mobile phone and called some one in Bangkok, who talked her through the connection settings , and finally the internet connection was made. I then ask if I could do a internet connection speed test .. Ok no problem , so these are the results of the MC727 modem connected to an iMac 2.8 24 inch running 10.5.5 situated at a main CAT office ( with a very large Tower at the back )

1st test = Down 1049

Up 273

2nd test = Down 1358

Up = 257

3rd test = Down = 1422

Up = 306

4th test = Down 1180

Up = 280

5th test = Down 1371

Up = 281

So I packed up the Mac , and told the manageress that I would now pay for antenna ( 1,800 Baht ) and return home and install it on my roof , and then return a few days later to collect the MC727 modem for one days try test ( as previously agreed ) , if the modem did not produce good results over the day’s test

period I would return it and be given my money back . The manageress knowing I have to do a long round trip

to the CAT office , then offered a new option, I pay for the MC727 modem , pay for the antenna , take the modem home , install the roof antenna and test out the modem , and if it does not give good results return the modem and the antenna to the CAT office for a full refund and I had ” 5 ” days to test every thing out , I agreed to this offer

Now ive been trying out the MC727 modem on my iMac 2.8 Intel 10.5.5 , the modem is connected to the new external roof antenna , purchased from the CAT office . The roof antenna is well above the roof height of my house and pointing in the general direction of the nearest CAT tower which is I would guess about 3-4 Km away. I booted up the Mac and then plugged in the modem , remembering to use the same USB point on the iMac as the modem was originally set up at the CAT office, then as arranged I called the CAT manageress to let her know I was ready to try the new modem, She then activated it and asked I telephone her back later to let her know how things were going.

The iMac recognized the MC727 modem settings that had been previously set up in the CAT office, and connected

to the internet with no problem and I did some surfing.

I then decided to shut down the iMac and re boot again , to see if the modem would connect again a second time, this time the Mac again recognized the modem setting , but would not connect to the internet , as I knew that the modem settings were ok , and as I did not want to re set any thing, I thought there must be something else not allowing the modem to connect to the internet other than the set up , so I decided to shut down the Mac again and re boot it , this time the again the modem was recognized by the Mac , but it would not connect to the internet .

so this time before re booting the Mac I un plugged the modem , and then re booted up. I let the Mac start up with out the modem being connected , then once the Mac was up and running I inserted the modem into the same USB socket and tried to connect to the internet , this time the connection was made ok, so it seems at this stage I have to remove the modem from the Mac when its been shut down, and then the next time I re boot the Mac I just let it run , then insert the modem , which then connects to the internet every time, with out a problem.

After working out how to connect to the internet every time , I then decided to do some internet connection speed tests using several international test web sites , this is the results over a 24 hour period , the tests were made through out the day .

Download / Upload

1951 / 297

1827 / 195

1780 / 253

1626 / 266

1559 / 260

1541 / 239

1518 / 247

1513 / 276

1505 / 251

1501 / 277

1453 / 282

1452 / 251

1438 / 247

1429 / 291

1420 / 247

1397 /248

1387 / 320

1351 / 317

1348 / 238

1334 / 225

1025 / 266

giving an average of 1461 / 253

I have tested downloading some large files, and viewing Youtube videos etc with very good results, but not as yet done any Uploading.

I have Tweaked the roof antenna by altering the direction it points to in a 30˚ angled arch , this movement did seem to fine the best position .

At the moment The modem has been connected to the internet continually over 24 hours , and its not as yet disconnected it self in any way, and the speeds have been fairly constant .

So far my only complaint is I will have to un plug the modem every time I switch off my iMac, there may be a fix some where for this problem, but I really don’t want to up set the current settings that seem to be doing so well .

The CAT office offers a Month Un limited option , ( No contract ) at 790 Baht + Tax , the bill is sent to your house and you can pay at most banks or post offices. to stop using the service they require you tell them One month in advance.

So at this time I am very pleased , and compared to my past dial up connection speeds I am in internet heaven .

End

The above distance quoted of 3-4 km way from my house should have said about 6 km , and now I use a powered USB hub I just leave the MC727 plugged into that and can connect every time. And eventhough I was getting very good results with the CAT external antenna, I decided to make some alterations to the coaxial cable as out lined below.

since ive been using the MC727 overall I am happy, there have been a few occasions where the signals dropped off , but I've all ways been able to re connect straight away, and when the speeds seem to be dropping , which does happen from time to time, all I do is stop and reconnect, this seems to fix the slowdown .

As advised in another post here on Thaivisa, the CAT supplied external antenna came with a length of 75 Ω coaxial cable , and as suggested I changed the 75 Ω coaxial for 50 Ω , also the CAT supplied external antenna adaptor cable

that plugs into the MC727 was from the outset not a really tight fit, again with advice from another Thaivisa forum member , who supplied me with the correct external antenna adaptor cable details, ( Link below ) I ordered a new external antenna adaptor cable , and it does fit a lot better than the CAT supplied one .

I have seen several comments on other CDMA forums, where people were experiencing problems with using different

USB ports with a MC727, and it seems that the answer in some cases was to connect a powered USB hub unit, to the PC and then plug the MC727 into the powered hub, for some reason , which I don't really understand the MC727 it seems can be a bit un predictable when it comes to using different USB ports on the same PC, one comment the CAT engineer who set up my iMac at the CAT office, said that I must all ways use the same USB port every time.

Initially when I set up the external roof antenna , I took the Netbook up onto the roof, and connected the MC727 to the antenna, by watching the signal bar strength desktop read out, I managed to position the antenna to give a full signal

bar readout .

One thing I did notice soon after was that when it rained the speeds / signal bar read out decreased , at first I took this to be some thing to do with the weather conditions, but then I noticed that after the rain had stopped for some time after the signal / speeds remained still reduced, so I went up onto the roof and checked the antenna out, I noticed that the coaxial plug and socket on the antennal when I un screwed them were showing signs of water inside. So I dried them off and

covered the plug and socket with a coating of clear silicone, to date when it rains the signal / speeds have never again slowed down.

So my external antenna setup at the moment , gives a constant signal / speed and compared with my past dial up connection , what can I say but ... :o

The Links list below is in no particular order , just some ive found along the way while researching the MC727

http://www.evdoforums.com/forum-20.html

http://evdotips.blogspot.com/

http://www.phuket.me/2008/11/novatel-ovation-mc727/

http://support.sprint.com/guides.html?&amp...edDeviceId=9209

http://support.sprint.com/main.html?select...revPageIndex=12

( the above ⬆ web site refers to the U727 which is the UAS version of the MC727 )

http://www.bangkokwireless.net/blaithaishop/

http://evdoinfo.blogspot.com/

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2301/64/

http://forum.ubuntuclub.com/index.php?topic=7123.0

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:X:AAQ:US:1123

( The above ⬆ Ebay link is for the MC727 antenna adaptor )

http://www.catcdma.com/product/air_card.htm#

http://www.maxmost.com/W811210-MMP.php

http://www.bezte.com/

http://blog.wpsantennas.com/

http://www.cellcubic.com/product-SR597EAA.php

http://answer4it.net/product-test/ccu-680-...ernet-thailand/

http://www.siammastershop.com/

TL

Wow, that's quite a few links, will take a while to work through them.

I think that I will be getting an antenna to maximise my signal, and that is very interesting about the powered hub. What hub do you use and where did you buy it.

Because I'm not a techi, I'd juast buy any old hub and it'll turn out to be a load of crap, so would rather get something that somebody has had good results with.

I bought a hub and tried it - no difference

Will sort out an external antenna next.

Thailife, you seem to get fantastic speeds, what test do you use?

The service here has not been so good these last few days, I've been getting much lower speeds on my laptop. At times It's slowed to nearly a stop, especially uploading. Also quite a few disconnects

Earlier in the week, an average test on Thaivisa

post-12326-1239440806_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I have 3 bars signal strength, this is usually pretty stable, how many bars do you get?

This is a test that seems to be the norm for the last few days

post-12326-1239441002_thumb.jpg

These tests with a different host today

Bangkok host

post-12326-1239441131_thumb.jpg

London Host

post-12326-1239441168_thumb.jpg

All of these tests had 3 bars signal strength, but much lower speeds recently

• 2 weeks later...

This is baSICALLY A COPY OF WHAT I HAVE POSTED IN THE OTHER THREAD.

The CAT CDMA connection has been terrible lately, but it's still better than the Ipstar service.

The CAT engineers have been here today and they are a great bunch of blokes, 2 technicians and an apprentice. the connection was working quite well when they came with download speeds of 350 plus. They thought that that was terrible, although I'd be content if I had that all the time.

They've confirmed that I need an antenna and are planning to come back tonight. It'll be dark soon, so I dont know what they will be able to do.

I have to say that I have confidence in these guys, they seem to enjoy their work and seem to know what they are talking about.

They give me the impression that they actually want me to have download speeds of 1 meg plus.

Will let you know how it pans out

This is baSICALLY A COPY OF WHAT I HAVE POSTED IN THE OTHER THREAD.

The CAT CDMA connection has been terrible lately, but it's still better than the Ipstar service.

The CAT engineers have been here today and they are a great bunch of blokes, 2 technicians and an apprentice. the connection was working quite well when they came with download speeds of 350 plus. They thought that that was terrible, although I'd be content if I had that all the time.

They've confirmed that I need an antenna and are planning to come back tonight. It'll be dark soon, so I dont know what they will be able to do.

I have to say that I have confidence in these guys, they seem to enjoy their work and seem to know what they are talking about.

They give me the impression that they actually want me to have download speeds of 1 meg plus.

Will let you know how it pans out

Hi, please let us know how you get on with the external antenna , have a look at the Ohm size of the antenna coaxial cable , Ive just done a Tv speed test , and its a bit down on my usual speeds tonight, but still better than my old dial up connection

post-37178-1240319294_thumb.jpg

CAT certainly has some issues right now. I can't download a 170MB file because I always get a disconnect after about 30MB. Because of the stupid way it's set up, I always have to re-download the entire thing in one go (it's a random URL that's only valid once :o ).

Right now, the CAT service is totally down where I live. Only a few months ago, and for the entire past year, the service had been rock solid, so there is definitely something going on. It seems like it coincided with the switch to EV-DO Rev. A, but of course might be unrelated. If it was Rev. A, then well I am going to be patient because I absolutely love the new higher upload speeds.

The good news is that CAT service really is way better than anything you would get from TOT or True - I called the customer service center, which gave me the number of mae hong son, which gave me the number of chiang mai, which redirected me to mae hong son again, which gave me the number of the local chief engineer. That may sound like quite the runaround, and sure, it was, but get these incredible facts: All of these people spoke English. All of them were actually working after 8 pm!! And all of them were aware of the problem. And the chief gave me an estimate as to when it's going to be fixed, which is... in an hour!

With TOT it would be... we have issued a service ticket... engineer will look at it tomorrow morning.... we have no idea when it's going to be fixed but we will call you (just kidding of course, but it sounds good doesn't it). And then if it's a real issue that requires a real technician... wait for him to come by on his weekly round of northern Thailand.