Slain Briton's Body Recovered

george

Slain Briton's body recovered

bull3302009-7209-1.jpg

The youngest of the three suspects grew up on

Koh Phi Phi and speaks English, Thai and Burmese

PHUKET CITY: After days of searching, the body of slain British sailor Malcolm Robertson was recovered by fisherman about 10 nautical miles north of Satun’s Lipeh Island at about 3pm today.

A source in the Marine Police said the fishermen are now bringing Mr Robertson’s remains by boat to Tu Tae Lam Pier in Satun’s La-Ngu District, where it is expected to arrive at about 7pm tonight.

Officials monitoring the case say a report on Friday that the missing man’s body had been found was incorrect – only debris from the yacht had been seen.

Three Burmese men, aged 17, 18 and 19, have said they climbed on to the Robertsons’ yacht because they were starving after fleeing to a nearby island from rough conditions on a Thai fishing vessel.

For the original report, click here.

The discovery of the body diminishes the chance that the youths will be able to avoid murder charges and possible death sentences.

They claim they went two days without food and were challenged by Robertson while desperately searching his yacht for food.

The eldest of the three reportedly confessed to both Thai police and a British photographer that he killed Robertson with a hammer after a struggle, then lowered the Englishman’s body into the sea.

The man’s wife, Linda Robertson, confirmed the identity of the attackers and gave testimony in local courts on Friday.

Mrs Robertson was tied up during the ordeal, but managed to haul in the anchor and motor away to safety after the Burmese men left in a dinghy on Tuesday morning, about 10 hours after sneaking on board.

In an interview by phone, she expressed relief yesterday that the trio had been caught so swiftly by the police, whose efforts she lauded.

She said she certainly felt the youngest of the Burmese was anguished about her husband’s death, but she was not sure if the older pair were as remorseful as they said. But she felt it was "irrelevant" if they faced a murder charge or manslaughter, as “it wouldn’t bring Malcolm back”.

She and her husband left the UK 10 years ago to sail around the world, but “loved Thailand so much” they remained here for three years. On Saturday, she and the couple's four children, all in their 30s, held a service on the yacht Mr Bean to remember Malcolm.

“The family are with me, and that is a huge difference,” she said, adding that the service brought out laughter, as well as tears. “I wasn’t quite as horrified to be on the boat as I thought I’d be,” she said.

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-03-30

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May he rest in peace.

I'm glad that the wife has her family close to her, and has managed to get back onto the boat. That will help in the closure process.

As for the Burmese youths. They appear to have been caught bang to rights. They arent likely to see the light of freedom for a long time.

Such a terrible story, poor Linda will have terrible memories for the rest of her life. What a waste of a life. If they were truly just hungry, why didn't they ask for food? No matter what excuse they give, there is none that can justify what they did.

I hope the family can find some peace.

Laughter and Tears. That what rememberance should be about.

Good for you Mrs Roberston and family - I am sure there're countless people right now who have you in their thoughts. You're a remarkable woman. Amazing fortitude after what you've been through. I am truly moved by your courage.

Let the punishment fit the crime - an eye for an eye. :o If they were there for food then a sympathy vote could be had - but hammered to death? Laptops stolen et al, no sorry - no sympathy and an admission to stealing a dinghy. It should serve as a warning - yachties travel in and out of Thailand - the current spate of piracy attacks has to stop. No-one doubts the plight of the Burmese. But we all know what is right and wrong and simply murder does not fit the 'right'.

Again, my condolences to the family and friends of the Robertsons.

I wonder if the Thai employer will face any kind of investigation about his treatment of the 3 or not feeding them?

Sadly, murders by desperate people for very small amounts of money occur all over the world, everyday. I wouldn't place any special stigma on Thailand in this regard. There are safer countries and there are also more dangerous ones.

Tragic of course for all involved, but why is it that people who "love Thailand" and spend three years travelling here not try to understand some simple dos and don'ts in Thailand?

It looks like this poor man was violently killed and put his wife's life at risk of being killed also as he reacted to the situation by being "Jai Ron". This whole problem can be seen every night in Pattaya and many die and are seriously injured for the very same reason but with less publicity.

Every one coming here should read the few lines which are told in all the tourist literature. They are true for a two week holiday as the are for a three year break. There's a reason why Thais don't do road rage.

A 17 year old accomplice deserving capital punishment might be a punishment seen by some here

to fit the crime, but i for one don't agree. The excuse for capital punishment must be that it acts as a deterrent for premeditated murder, then if that is true it must also suggest that this was not premeditated murder.

So sad. Would they be punished here in Thailand or in their country? What is the death penalty here?

Gibs

The youngest one at least is more or less thai, grew up in Thailand and speaks thai. But of course very convenient that he probably is ethnic burmese. They are genetically uncapable of being decent people, unlike the thais.

Sadly, murders by desperate people for very small amounts of money occur all over the world, everyday. I wouldn't place any special stigma on Thailand in this regard. There are safer countries and there are also more dangerous ones.

This is so TRUE. Let me explain in my Country what happens. This is South Africa of course - A TV inspector comes around to see whether you have a license for your TV. You have two options. If you don't have a license, you can either pay the fine of R2000 or murder him and pay a bail fine of R500.00. This is genuine!! and it happens here!!

What a sad ending for all concern, these young guy had a sorry flt but took an easy route to rob and kill another human, may they do so hard hard time for their misdeeds, for the decease RIP, for family hope you all will see justice soon. :D:o:D

jackr,

as it always goes these days people that get caught doing horrific things come along with a bleeding heart story......"I was so hungry, I swam out to a yacht, killed a man with a hammer & then sat on board with my mates drinking whiskey and listening to music".... :o .....if it was in the west, it would go something like, "i killed him because when I was 9 years old my uncle made me his mistress".

there is NO excuse for these actions, they are criminal ones.

So sad. Would they be punished here in Thailand or in their country? What is the death penalty here?

Gibs

But of course very convenient that he probably is ethnic burmese. They are genetically uncapable of being decent people, unlike the thais.

Genetically INcapable?

What...? What?

If you were being sarcastic, it's not all that apparent from your writing; if you weren't, there's always education. It's the best cure for stupid.

The one thing that was quiet unexpected, and shows some restraint, at least by the other two - three young men, a desperate situation, a naked white woman... I'm no Einstein, but if they were genetically indecent, this surely is a litmus test.

What this situation does show all of us, is chose your friends wisely.

Edited by PhootThaiMaiDai

The starving story doesn't wash as surely they'd no how to fish, what with working on a fishing vessel?

I wouldn't say it's all that apparent from that, you'd need to have fishing equipment and bait.

But, if the smallest did speak some English, they did have other options than a hammer to the head...

Seems "Sorry" and "Food" could have solved this problem if that were the case.

If you were being sarcastic, it's not all that apparent from your writing; if you weren't, there's always education. It's the best cure for stupid.

don't wait for the poster... don't take him literally... if you missed the sarcasm then that was too bad... try to read it again in that light.. you will see ... he only got one letter wrong from the word.. you are a bit too hasty with a nasty reply methinks.

I wish to offer his wife Linda and the Robertson family my sincere condolences at this sad time. I hope that the recovery of the body of Malcolm assists in the closure for the family after the tragic event in which he was killed.

May Malcolm Robertson Rest In Peace.

Update:

Slain Englishman's body found

30099235-01.jpg

SATUN: -- Satun Governor Sumet Chailertwanichkul said yesterday that a search team had found the body of Malcolm Robertson, 64, who was allegedly killed by three Burmese fishermen.

The search party found the body near Adang island after seven days of searching, and the corpse was expected to arrive in Satun late yesterday, the governor said.

Earlier reports said the three Burmese fishermen charged with slaying Robertson may escape a conviction and death penalty because the victim's body had not been found.

Officials monitoring the case say a report on Friday that the missing man's body had been found was incorrect - only debris from the yacht had been spotted. The three fishermen, aged 17, 18 and 19, said they climbed on to the Robertsons' yacht because they were "starving" after fleeing rough conditions on a Thai fishing vessel.

They claim they went two days without food and were challenged by Robertson while searching his yacht for food. The eldest of the three reportedly confessed to both Thai police and a British photographer that he killed Robertson with a hammer after a struggle and then lowered the Englishman's body into the sea. The man's wife Linda confirmed the identity of the attackers and testified in court on Friday.

Linda was tied up during the "horrifying" ordeal but managed to haul in the anchor and motor away to safety after the Burmese men left on a dinghy on Tuesday morning, nine to 10 hours after sneaking on board. In a phone interview, she expressed relief yesterday that the trio - described as "pirates" by the British press - had been caught so swiftly by the police.

She said she felt the youngest "pirate" was anguished about her husband's death, but she was not sure if the other two were as remorseful as they said. However she added it was "irrelevant" whether they faced a murder charge or not as "it wouldn't bring Malcolm back".

"Whatever happens they'll get 15 years in jail, and I don't think 15 years in a Thai jail would be an experience many would want to go through," she said. "But we - for me and the family - want to find the body to have closure."

She and her husband left Britain 10 years ago to sail around the world, but "loved Thailand so much" that they stayed for three years. On Saturday she and the couple's four children - all in their 30s - held a service on the yacht, called "Mr Bean", in Robertson's memory.

"The family are with me and that is a huge difference. We had a lovely moment on the boat - not just tears, but laughter also … I wasn't quite as horrified to be on the boat as I thought I'd be," she recalled.

While her children were due to fly home yesterday, Linda said she would stay on.

-- The Nation 2009-03-30

killing someone for food....?????

Where are we heading to with this world .....?????

May Mr Robertson RIP

Charlie

People have killed for much less unfortunately. Very sad indeed however when there seems to be an abundance of food in Thailand. My thoughts go out to the Family and close friends today I hope they can find some peace in the fact they body has been found and the perpetrators caught!

I wish to offer his wife Linda and the Robertson family my sincere condolences at this sad time. I hope that the recovery of the body of Malcolm assists in the closure for the family after the tragic event in which he was killed.

May Malcolm Robertson Rest In Peace.

Yes, Malcolm Robertson RIP.

My condolences to his wife and family.

Tragic of course for all involved, but why is it that people who "love Thailand" and spend three years travelling here not try to understand some simple dos and don'ts in Thailand?

It looks like this poor man was violently killed and put his wife's life at risk of being killed also as he reacted to the situation by being "Jai Ron". This whole problem can be seen every night in Pattaya and many die and are seriously injured for the very same reason but with less publicity.

Every one coming here should read the few lines which are told in all the tourist literature. They are true for a two week holiday as the are for a three year break. There's a reason why Thais don't do road rage.

A 17 year old accomplice deserving capital punishment might be a punishment seen by some here

to fit the crime, but i for one don't agree. The excuse for capital punishment must be that it acts as a deterrent for premeditated murder, then if that is true it must also suggest that this was not premeditated murder.

yeah, SpikeCM, the guy was clearly a Jai Ron bastard, deserved what he got !!!

you could really think before you write.

those three killed a man whereas they had control of the situation.

they have been caught, so now what?

should the younger go free because he showed remorse?

should he serve 20 years in prison instead of being executed?

what does 20 years of thai prison do to a man?

does Thailand or Burma have any need of them?

for my part I think that justice should be swift and exemplary.

up to the widow if she want to let the younger live.

jackr,

"I was so hungry, I swam out to a yacht, killed a man with a hammer & then sat on board with my mates drinking whiskey and listening to music".... :o .....if it was in the west, it would go something like, "i killed him because when I was 9 years old my uncle made me his mistress".

Give your head a shake..."drinking whiskey and listening to music"...where you there?????...and regarding yer uncle, I feel sorry for you...

RIP Malcolm