Renting A Tuk Tuk?

markandclaire

I quite fancy driving a tuk tuk for a few days, maybe even owning one. Does anybody know if this is possible? I saw a very nice custom one on the classifieds but it was £1600. I just want a little runaround like you see all over the place, nothing special. Or if anyone knows a tuktuk driver who is going on holiday and wants to make some money while he's away, that would be good too.

I don't really want to become a taxi driver - but incidentally, does one need a permit to be a tuktuk driver?

I quite fancy driving a tuk tuk for a few days, maybe even owning one. Does anybody know if this is possible? I saw a very nice custom one on the classifieds but it was £1600. I just want a little runaround like you see all over the place, nothing special. Or if anyone knows a tuktuk driver who is going on holiday and wants to make some money while he's away, that would be good too.

I don't really want to become a taxi driver - but incidentally, does one need a permit to be a tuktuk driver?

Not sure about the driving permit, but most tuk tuk drivers rent their vehicles. You might want to check out a place that works on them and sells them.. It is off Suthep rd, going towards the university, just past the klong road turn left and you can see the place behind the building..

Renting one for a few days is the way to go from my view point, then if you are still in love with the idea than for about 56ks you can own a good Tuk tuk. Happen riding, HEY, remind you now DON'T be picking up any fairs(no taxi service) that might not set to WELL with the local tuk tuk taxi drivers having a farangs take their buisness. :o:D:D:D

Wonder what type of driver's license one needs, motorcycle or car? :o

Tuk Tuk license for Thai's only.

They have issued the rare special case license (Thailand to UK by Tuk Tuk etc) but a no on for normal use

Wonder what type of driver's license one needs, motorcycle or car? :o

Tuk Tuk license for Thai's only.

They have issued the rare special case license (Thailand to UK by Tuk Tuk etc) but a no on for normal use

My friend bought a Tuk Tuk one that has the motorbike on the front and he has tried to register it but they will not register a tuk tuk as special license is required he has a sign not for hire on it but still he cannot get it registered and legal

So he just uses it without registration but I have not seen another private one in Chiang mai besides his

My advice is to forget this idea very quickly. The Tuk Tuk mafia in Chiang Mai are very powerful and you WILL get yourself in a lot of trouble. My understanding is you also need a special license, and it could be construed you are working so should therefore have a work permit. However innocent your intentions are, they won't be interpreted that way.

There is a Farang tuk tuk driver in town, though he was brought up here, is Thai, speaks fluent thai, and has a Thai ID. Try asking him about his dealings with other Tuk tuk drivers.......

Cheers for the replies, will definitely check out the suthep road place and report my findings. The licence thing sounds a bit problematic though, unless I try to make myself look a bit Thai am I just going to be constantly hassled for bribes? What is the actual penalty for driving without a licence here, especially since I have a British licence which I imagine takes a bit more skill to earn.

Cheers for the tips - don't want to get embroiled in a mafia war. Maybe if I hired a tuk tuk from the same people it would be OK though - they still make money and just laugh at the crazy farang driving round shouting "where you go? Tiger temple, monkey show!"

I used to have a 2 stroke tuk tuk when i lived in Krabi and used it for a while as an advertising vehicle for the pub. Used to thrash around the town playing loud music. But I got fed up of driving it after a while and the staff were unsafe with it. The tax office wouldnt register change of name or anything else in Krabi as they said it is only registerable in Nonthaburi near Bkk and I didnt feel like dragging along that road.

I did get stopped by the police but that was only to have a look at it and they said no problem about tax etc. Used to be easy going a few years ago

The local motorbike taxi drivers did ask me if i wanted to to use it as a taxi and if so i could take up station at the pier in the town, but i declined there kind invite.

For me at the time i would have been better with one of the small, 4 wheeled tuk tuks.

BTW I think the locals thought I was 'crazy farang'

My advice is to forget this idea very quickly. The Tuk Tuk mafia in Chiang Mai are very powerful and you WILL get yourself in a lot of trouble. My understanding is you also need a special license, and it could be construed you are working so should therefore have a work permit. However innocent your intentions are, they won't be interpreted that way.

There is a Farang tuk tuk driver in town, though he was brought up here, is Thai, speaks fluent thai, and has a Thai ID. Try asking him about his dealings with other Tuk tuk drivers.......

This farang tuk-tuk driving will be talking at the Expat Club meeting at the Shangrila Hotel on 25th April. Should be fascinating !

Visitors are welcome.

Cheers.

Usual blabbering..

You see some legally registered tuk tuks ('3 wheeled motor vehicle) around. Not many but you see some. They have white plates with red lettering. They are NOT taxis but used for advertising, promotional events, moving info booths, etc . They are registered just like any vehicle, NOT a taxi so no trouble with any tuktuk 'mafia'. Even the tuk tuk mafia is not as stupid as some TV Farangs.

That said, they cost WAY more than 8000 baht.. There is no such thing as one in bad condition because for limited money you can get 2 guys to work on it for a week and have it in excellent condition..

If this is for the Songkran celebrations then just rent one for a couple hours from a tuk tuk driver.

BTW, riding one will make you think twice about owning one.. they're really terrible to drive. :o

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• 1 month later...

Why thell would you be drivin around on a big loud chopper motorbike

Why thell would you be driving around in a pick-up if you're not a farmer or construction foreman

Why thelll would you be driving around on a bicycle in this heat

Wy thell would..

BECAUSE WE CAN!

Don't think it legal for a farang to be a Taxi driver, I hear tell both ways some said you needed a permit, one said you didn't :):D best check this one out at your local police station or tourist police(?). I would suggest rent a Tuk tuk for a month or and see how you REALLY fancy sporting it around town. Now keep in mind this is the Rainy season in Thailand at the moment. I will tell this, on 16 April 09 while on a little shopping trip to Carrefour, I spotted an Aussie mate with his super-up Tuk tuk, nice sound system, BLASTING out some sweet Thai music, many pretty little ladies came near for a close look, he was have ton ton of fun with it, what or a show OFF I might add, but I talk with for a bit, seem like a decent mate. Said he had his Tuk tuk for four years did most of the work on it himself. :D:D:D

Edited by BigSnake

How about the scooters with side cars of various types -- often with a plastic cover? Which category of vehicle would these fall into, for licensing purposes?

Do Thais simply construct these at home or are they produced commercially?

What are the other (legal & viable for farang) options for light vehicles here? Have seen some older folk getting about in quite an assortment of motorised devices.

OK some additions to this thread:

1 Tuk Tuk taxis are nearly all rented very few owned - minimum rental period 3 months.

2 Farangs are not allowed to be Tuk Tuk Taxi Drivers

3 Farangs can with a bit of hassle and determination own and run a Tuk Tuk as a private vehicle, but there are hurdles...

a You need a Tuk Tul licence - a car and/or motorbike licence not enough

b You need to comply with whatever the transport dept want you to do to get it registered (colour schemes, signs etc.) but in Chiang Mai they will deter you. You should be able to register it anywhere in theory though as the transport system in online now (before you needed to register in Chiang Mai)

c Some cities are more relaxed it seems - Udon Thani has loads of falangs driving Tuk Tuks around I hear.

d Finding a cheap Tuk Tuk is near impossible - they are regarded as a working vehicle, and have inflated prices - only beat up knackered models with a lot of problems seem to be offered cheap.

4 They are fun to drive - but not everyone's idea of fun after the novelty wears off.

Good luck!

OK some additions to this thread:

1 Tuk Tuk taxis are nearly all rented very few owned - minimum rental period 3 months.

2 Farangs are not allowed to be Tuk Tuk Taxi Drivers

3 Farangs can with a bit of hassle and determination own and run a Tuk Tuk as a private vehicle, but there are hurdles...

a You need a Tuk Tul licence - a car and/or motorbike licence not enough

b You need to comply with whatever the transport dept want you to do to get it registered (colour schemes, signs etc.) but in Chiang Mai they will deter you. You should be able to register it anywhere in theory though as the transport system in online now (before you needed to register in Chiang Mai)

c Some cities are more relaxed it seems - Udon Thani has loads of falangs driving Tuk Tuks around I hear.

d Finding a cheap Tuk Tuk is near impossible - they are regarded as a working vehicle, and have inflated prices - only beat up knackered models with a lot of problems seem to be offered cheap.

4 They are fun to drive - but not everyone's idea of fun after the novelty wears off.

Good luck!

Ah - thanks very much Roger! I have a Thai friend in Udon Thani, so I think that could be the solution - they can source one and start the hassle, then I can travel down to sign forms, part with baht, and get an arsepounding drive back to CM.

My neighbor has a fleet of Tuk Tuks and from what she has told me Tuk Tuks are not expensive but the license for the is if you are using it as a Taxi, however only a Thai citizen may drive a Taxi of any kind in Thailand.

You are basically not permitted to drive a tuk tuk for hire in Chinag Mai without being a Thai citizen and having a special driver's license to drive one (the latter not being such a big deal). The special rules about owning and driving a tuk tuk without a commercial license are probably quite obscure.

Ask Paul Collins, the only licensed farang tuk tuk driver in Chiang Mai. Ask around. You'll find him. It seems to it forbidden to tell you on TV how to contact him.

Edited by Mapguy

• 2 weeks later...

Some more info to illustrate the points I made earlier:

Here you see an example of a tuk tuk (three wheeled motorized vehicle) that's registered as a regular vehicle, so not as a taxi. Note the Red on White plates. Three wheeled motorized taxis on the other hand have green-on-yellow plates. (All public transport vehicles in Thailand have yellow plates including regular taxis, licensed motorbike taxis, buses, etc.)

There's nothing stopping anyone from registering a vehicle of this type, provided you have the drivers license for it and provide the other required documents.

post-64232-1244530140_thumb.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks for the continued info. I'm having to leave CM earlier than hoped (July in fact) so won't be doing this until I make it back. As an indicator for future tuktuk wannabes though, I had an interesting thought on my recent visa run - in tachilek (Myanmar) they had tuktuks which were literally just the front end of a motorbike welded to a trailer. Presumably much easier to licence there because of the British connection, then just drive it over the border.

• 7 months later...
How about the scooters with side cars of various types -- often with a plastic cover? Which category of vehicle would these fall into, for licensing purposes?

Do Thais simply construct these at home or are they produced commercially?

What are the other (legal & viable for farang) options for light vehicles here? Have seen some older folk getting about in quite an assortment of motorised devices.

Anyone know whether a motorcycle driving licence is the appropriate one for a motor-bike with side car - or is there a different type of licence required ?

Thanks. Cheers.

Edited by SwaziBird

Tuktuk drivers pay 190bt a day to rent a tuktuk. They pay for their own gas but if the tuktuk breaks down the owner repairs it at his cost. Songtaew drivers pay 250bt a day to rent a songtaew. They pay for their own gas and also for any repairs that need doing. They also have to pay 12-15,000bt deposit.

What an excellent idea "just drive it over the border"

I am sure the nice customs officers will just wave me through and not ask to see any paperwork or duty receipts.

I think I might ship my Porsche out here and just drive that over the border as well.

Really, !! dont suppose they would mind me bringing my fleet of Bentleys either.. :)

So naive,,,, thailand does have laws and police and borders.....

and i agree the Mafia wont like it even if you are joy riding....