Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

Namoo, from what I recall, the Government Savings Bank ATMs have only two network logos: Visa and (Thai) ATM pool.

But there's one way to find out for sure... try your card in their ATM....if the machine kicks it back to you, you'll know the answer.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"went to the Bangkok bank and used my card and passport, i think they shafted me on the exchange rate, will report back"

YES! -- Please do -- that should be very enlightening for all of us -- and if my guess is correct, it will give the members of the "Teller vs. ATM gang", who wander in here occasionally, something to ponder :)

Today just checked my nationwide account ,originally i took out 150000 baht with my card from Bangkok bank in naklua, the money was taken out of my account immediatly ,but for some reason put back in (i thaught it was my birthday) just checked 10 am this morning 29th ,there were no charges and i got an exchange rate of just over 55 baht ,result ,now the acid test will be on the 1st june to see if the .85% is charged ,i will be back.

ps used aeon yesteday in tesco ,got just over 55

Edited by thaimate

Ayudhya as of 5 minutes ago is now $150 baht at the teller machine.

Over a 1000 messages to read on this thread which is impossible on my SLOW Thailand internet connection (TOT),

I have a visa card and debit card tied to the US bank. Also have a Siam bank account opened and can wire money in from US but the US bank charges and outrageous $50.

Paypal stinks as it charges a huge fee.

I went into Ayudhya 5 minutes ago to request money using a bank card as I read on here it was free (cash advance). they told me it would be a 3% fee.

Can someone update this as to how to get money from a foreign bank card without paying the 150 baht fee?

Thank you in advance

Ayudhya as of 5 minutes ago is now $150 baht at the teller machine.

Over a 1000 messages to read on this thread which is impossible on my SLOW Thailand internet connection (TOT),

I have a visa card and debit card tied to the US bank. Also have a Siam bank account opened and can wire money in from US but the US bank charges and outrageous $50.

Paypal stinks as it charges a huge fee.

I went into Ayudhya 5 minutes ago to request money using a bank card as I read on here it was free (cash advance). they told me it would be a 3% fee.

Can someone update this as to how to get money from a foreign bank card without paying the 150 baht fee?

Thank you in advance

Yes, Ayudhya do apparently charge a crazy 3% for 'over the counter' transactions, but many other banks don't.

So, just do exactly the same again (not forgetting to take your passport) but this time try Kasikorn or Bangkok bank.

Also, you can still do ATM withdrawals for free using either Government Savings Bank, Aeon, or UOB Bank ATMs.

But taking money from the Thai ATM from your fee free bank makes no difference you still got to pay the 150 baht

No one has to pay the 150 baht ATM fee, as long as they choose from the right group of Thai ATMs (those not charging the fee) such as Government Savings Bank, United Overseas Bank, AEON, and maybe even still Ayudhya....

Your choice, your money....

Are you saying that if I locate the above ATM's then I will not have to pay 150 Bht fee ?

In answer to your request for an English translation. I meant my bank does not charge me for use overseas, but now I am getting stung 150 Bht at SCB BB etc.

The ones you mention I will try

Well here's the exchange rates from Bkk bank a few seconds ago

Currency

/Baht Bank Note

Buy Sell

USD 33.96 34.64

GBP 53.89 55.83

EUR 47.33 48.57

JPY 34.77 36.19

HKD 4.32 4.50

Query regarding GBP how much you getting at the ATM at the moment, what is the fluctuation, for example between 53.89 and at the ATM, would 53.89 apply at the ATM for any bank seeing BB is the clearing bank

Are you saying that if I locate the above ATM's then I will not have to pay 150 Bht fee ?

In answer to your request for an English translation. I meant my bank does not charge me for use overseas, but now I am getting stung 150 Bht at SCB BB etc.

Yes MacB.... You can use either a Visa or MC logo debit/ATM card at any AEON or UOB ATM, as of today, and pay no fee... You also can use any Visa logo debit/ATM card at any Government Savings Bank ATM, but GSB does not accept MasterCards...

AEON has a website for Thailand that allows you to easily search for their locations in English. I'm sure GSB has a branch or branches somewhere in Udon. Likewise for UOB Thailand, and their web site is pretty good as well for finding locations.

AEON and GSB probably will stay fee-free for the long term. UOB is fee-free now, but probably will start charging a fee at some future point, though we don't know when. (We know this because there is a document on the UOB web site saying they are planning to charge the 150 baht fee...)

Right now, Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial, Siam City, Kasikorn, Krungthai and probably Ayudhya (based on reports today) are charging the 150 baht fee on withdrawals with any foreign debit or credit card. I wouldn't use my ATM card there unless it was a dire emergency.

No one has to pay the 150 baht ATM fee, as long as they choose from the right group of Thai ATMs (those not charging the fee) such as Government Savings Bank, United Overseas Bank, AEON, and maybe even still Ayudhya....

Ayudhya have joined the 150 club! I tried to withdraw yesterday (28th) but was warned would be charged 150B. Withdrew from UOB with no charge; Nwide debit card.

Yes MacB.... You can use either a Visa or MC logo debit/ATM card at any AEON or UOB ATM, as of today, and pay no fee... You also can use any Visa logo debit/ATM card at any Government Savings Bank ATM, but GSB does not accept MasterCards...

AEON has a website for Thailand that allows you to easily search for their locations in English. I'm sure GSB has a branch or branches somewhere in Udon. Likewise for UOB Thailand, and their web site is pretty good as well for finding locations.

AEON and GSB probably will stay fee-free for the long term. UOB is fee-free now, but probably will start charging a fee at some future point, though we don't know when. (We know this because there is a document on the UOB web site saying they are planning to charge the 150 baht fee...)

Right now, Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial, Siam City, Kasikorn, Krungthai and probably Ayudhya (based on reports today) are charging the 150 baht fee on withdrawals with any foreign debit or credit card. I wouldn't use my ATM card there unless it was a dire emergency.

Thanks for that information great

Here is the link for the ATM finder for AEON bank.

AEON ATM FINDER LINK

In Pattaya: They are:

1 Lotus South Pattaya 2 nd Floor Lotus South Pattaya

2 Home work Pattaya 1 st Fl. Home work Pattaya

3 Carrefour Pattaya Klang 2 nd Fl Carrefour Pattaya Klang

Which banks are giving the best exchange rates, I wonder if in some cases it would be cheaper to pay the 150 Bht fee if the exchange rate from one bank to another varies 1 to 2 Baht, this is a big difference on 15000 baht

Edited by macb

Hackerthai.

I have a Bangkok Bank acct. I transfer funds from my US credit union to Bangkok Banks New York branch, the number of the bank is on their website. The NY branch transfers it to my branch here. My bank charges $8, Thai side charges about, depends on the amount transferred, $24.

Macb, youre asking good questions, which a lot of people probably don't know the answers to..

So, let me answer your latest one... In tems of using a foreign atm card to withdraw funds here in thailand...

Other than not using a Thai bank ATM that doesn't charge the 150 baht fee, it really doesn't matter much about the exchange rates between banks when making an atm withdrawal. Because, the Thai banks typically are NOT the ones setting the rates for those transactions.

What DOES matter a lot, however, and probably makes the BIGGEST different on what exchange rate you get when doing an aTM transaction, is what HOME BANK AND CARD you are using.

Not all ViSA and MC branded debit cards are the same. Your home bank behind the scenes may take a little or a lot of a cut of your funds out of the standard international exchange rate that VISA or MC are providing for the ATM transaction. It's your home bank that can make a BIG difference on what exchange rate you get here via ATM withdrawals because of the cut or fees they tack on, often invisibly to you...

For instance, for U.s. folks, people using Schwab, ETrade and Capital One debit cards get much better exchange rates on ATM transactions here than other banks cards, because those banks take little or no cut. I can't speak for other contries, but the Nationwide Cash card seems to be a popular choice among Brits... Maybe others can chime in here..

Just to be clear, sometimes your home bank charges an explicit flat fee or percentage fee for foreign transactions. But sometimes also, your home bank appears to have no visible fee, but ends up giving you a lot less of an exchange rate than you might get with others ATM cards/banks. So it pays to compare and read people's experiences here.

Thank you all for great posts

There are no AEON ATM machines in Phuket and can't find a website for GSB to locate in Phuket.

Seems like they all now charge 150 ATM. I will try monday the no fee Debit card /passport inside the bank method on monday. Seems like the bank atm's in Phuket all charge the 150 baht. I tried.

Hackerthai, you obviously didn't check the AEON web site very well....

When I search there for Phuket, it produces the following for ATM machines....

Big C Phuket 1A st Fl. Big C Phuket - - -

Phuket Branch 2 st Fl (Central festival) - - -

BR Phuket (3) 3 st Fl (Central festival) - - -

And for branches in Phuket, it produces the following:

AEON Spot Phuket 75 Moo 5 Central festival Phuket 2 nd Fl. Room TC-024 wichit , Muang Phuket 83000 (076) 362000 (076) 249-850

Have you considered picking a more appropriate user ID for Thai Visa??? :)

Likewise, the Government Savings Bank web site appears to list the following branch location for them in Phuket:

(This is my rough translation)

125 Pangnga Road

Thalad Yai, Amphur Muang Phuket

Phuket, 83000

สาขา ภูเก็ต

125 ถนนพังงา ต.ตลาดใหญ่

อ.อำเภอเมืองภูเก็ต

ภูเก็ต 83000

ติดตอสอบถาม

โทร 0-7622-3032, 0-7621-1113

สาขา เขตภูเก็ต

125 ถนนพังงา ต.ตลาดใหญ่

อ.อำเภอเมืองภูเก็ต

ภูเก็ต 83000

ติดตอสอบถาม

โทร 0-7621-9018

Folks, what's the latest out there???

I know Government Savings Bank and AEON are still good...

Any updates on UOB and Ayudhya... Those two still fee-free also???

UOB yes.....OK

Ayudha NO...not OK

Has Ayudhya actually charged you the fee? The haven't charged me yet.

Could someone help us out here and post the logos or some photos of the free atm`s

Colours are easy to remember when drunk.

No Point - you won't see the colours when you are on your hands and knees.

You Ayudhya customers need to clarify what's going on with them....

Seeing an ATM screen message talking about a fee is not the same as actually charging a fee on a withdrawal (though it's certainly heading in that direction...)

One poster says he made an Ayudhya withdrawal and got no fee... Anyone actually charged a 150 baht fee fee by Ayudhya yet???

Could someone help us out here and post the logos or some photos of the free atm`s

Colours are easy to remember when drunk.

I want to think you're joking... but... I'm afraid you're not.... :)

Does your Mommie still cook your dinner every night also???

Government Savings Bank is BRIGHT PINK with a GOLD seal

AEON ATMs typically don't have signs or branches. You find the location from the AEON web site and then go there. Often located in major shopping malls as standalone ATMs

UOB are DARK BLUE with BIG LETTERS saying UOB....

GSB and AEON ATMs are not nearly as common / widespread as the larger Thai bank ones. So really, you need to locate the one or ones closest to where you live or hang, and then just know to go there. You're really not likely to wander past them in a drunken stupor at 3 am on you're way home (or wherever).

Well looks like GSB will be the only one left to be fee free, and if they start charging, then withdraw using your card and your passport at SCB which should be fee free.

Barry

You mean taking money from a machine cost 150 baht, and wasting time of a person is free?????

That is really TIT......

Like people booking plane ticket at the phone, the ticket must cost 50E more to pay for call center, operator and travel agent....

Anyway i will never take money on an ATM in a corner of a minimarket.....what will happen if the machine will eat my only card (it is not possible to have 2 atm card like 10 Vis acard...)?

UOB withdrawal Friday, May 29. Using Schwab Visa debit

No ATM fee from UOB. Rate of 34.32 baht per U.S. $.

For comparisons, today's Interbank Exchange Rate (the best marker for ATM transactions) was 34.38.

And the Bank of Thailand's average "buying TT" rate for the day (NOT a good marker for ATM transactions) was 34.24.

If you got anything less than 34.24 from an ATM today, you're getting fleeced by your home bank.