Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> To the right of McDonald's. Ground floor and 1st floor (1st and second floor to Americans).

> VERY expensive rent!

Yeah I bet. Have a feeling that will come back in the price of the food. In that location the operator *IS* going for a tourist market, less for an expat/resident market. Heck parking there is iffy or costs money. (Yes I know there's parking in the back of that building and the fee for that will likely be refunded and then find it's way back into the food prices. :o Still it's an area that I always try to avoid at all costs.

>> To the right of McDonald's

> What more could tourists want ? ?

A proper Wendy's outlet?

One of the best things about the Duke's is all the nightly specials.

I find in most restaurants that I get bored of the menu very quickly and don't want to go very often anymore. At the Duke's there are many excellent specials and he tries new ones fairly often, so I never know what I am going to eat until I get there.

If I am not interested in the 3 or 4 specials, then I order my favorites from the menu and never get bored.

I understand that when the new Duke's opens in the night bazaar next month, the real Duke will actually be there to meet customers. He is the same guy that bankrolled me when I first started in business. A man of wealth and taste! :o

There used to be a good place in Patpong 30+ years ago called Duke's. Is it the same guy?

No, but David used to own the American restaurant on Thapae Road in Chiang Mai about 15 years ago.

IMHO it was Chiang Mai's first good Farang restaurant ( other than Picolla Roma which was WAY too expensive).

I always though that resto was mediocre at best, didn't know it was the same owner. Come to think of it, the standards seem about the same.

I find in most restaurants that I get bored of the menu very quickly and don't want to go very often anymore. At the Duke's there are many excellent specials and he tries new ones fairly often, so I never know what I am going to eat until I get there.

If I am not interested in the 3 or 4 specials, then I order my favorites from the menu and never get bored.

I understand that when the new Duke's opens in the night bazaar next month, the real Duke will actually be there to meet customers. He is the same guy that bankrolled me when I first started in business. A man of wealth and taste! :D

There used to be a good place in Patpong 30+ years ago called Duke's. Is it the same guy?

No, but David used to own the American restaurant on Thapae Road in Chiang Mai about 15 years ago.

IMHO it was Chiang Mai's first good Farang restaurant ( other than Picolla Roma which was WAY too expensive).

I always though that resto was mediocre at best, didn't know it was the same owner. Come to think of it, the standards seem about the same.

If I remember correctly, that was back when you were raving about how great the Farang food was at Darrett's House and JJ's sabaijai. Are you sure that the guy at Duke's didn't make a pass at your wife or something? :o

I understand that when the new Duke's opens in the night bazaar next month, the real Duke will actually be there to meet customers. He is the same guy that bankrolled me when I first started in business. A man of wealth and taste! :D

If I remember correctly, that was back when you were raving about how great the Farang food was at Darrett's House and JJ's sabaijai. Are you sure that the guy at Duke's didn't make a pass at your wife or something? :o

JJ's was always better than America IMO .... :D Don't recall ever raving about the food at Daret's. But then you rave about Burger House in Pai, don't know anyone else who does!

OK, here's one more review of The Duke's vs the CM Saloon, especially as it pertains to the burgers:

First, I think most of the food at The Duke's is outstanding, but on the expensive side. I used to get the ribs there all the time because they are the best I've found in Asia and an excellent value. I never had a good burger in Asia so I never wanted to "waste" a meal at Duke's trying their burger. Then I figured out that if my wife ordered the full rack of ribs, I'd get plenty of her leftovers, plus the burger I could order. Now I get the burger all the time. Always the Bacon & Blue Cheese Burger, rare. It's the best burger I've had in Asia and compares well to most burgers in the US.

I tried a bacon cheeseburger at the CM Saloon because of the recommendations on this board. The meat was mushy and not as tasty as at Duke's, they used ordinary cheese, and the bacon wasn't as good either. Even the bun was better at The Duke's. Both came with french fries. The Duke's fries are always perfectly cooked -- hot and crispy when served. The fries at the CM Saloon were limp and ordinary. Both burgers cost the same price (except for the 7% tax at Duke's).

I went to the CM Saloon on Rajawithee Road. Maybe the Saloon on Loi Kroh does better burgers? I don't know and don't think I'll find out. Even though Duke's is not as convenient for me, it's the only place in CM to get a burger.

. . . . . Now I get the burger all the time. Always the Bacon & Blue Cheese Burger, rare. It's the best burger I've had in Asia and compares well to most burgers in the US.

. . . . . The Duke's fries are always perfectly cooked -- hot and crispy when served. . . . .

After some years of not having a real hamburger, anywhere, I decided to try what Duke's has on offer a couple of months ago. As it happens, like you I settled on the bacon and blue cheese burger. I was surprised and delighted to find how good it was. I've gone back for it two or three times since, but haven't had a burger anywhere else, so while I can highly recommend the Duke's burger, I cannot compare it with any others in town. I can add to your comments, though, the observation that the onion rings, which I always get in lieu of the fries, are also superb.

JJ's was always better than America IMO .... :D Don't recall ever raving about the food at Daret's. But then you rave about Burger House in Pai, don't know anyone else who does!

I ate breakfast there two or three times and had spaghetti twice - never tried the burgers - and it would have been pretty good for Chiang Mai, but stood out in Pai. Let's face it; there ain't a lot of competition there!

I REALLY regret not trying your Italian place though. A buddy of yours recommended it to me but didn't emphasize how much you like it and I never felt the need for Italian. After hearing your descriptions, I feel like I made a real mistake.

I ate breakfast there two or three times and had spaghetti twice - never tried the burgers - and it would have been pretty good for Chiang Mai, but stood out in Pai. Let's face it; there ain't a lot of competition there!

I REALLY regret not trying your Italian place though. A buddy of yours recommended it to me but didn't emphasize how much you like it and I never felt the need for Italian. After hearing your descriptions, I feel like I made a real mistake.

And for other farang food in Pai, give the Drop Inn a try. High-quality cooking, best service in town and huge portions (the latter a negative for more delicate appetites, unless you have a room with a fridge).

A few other local places do decent farang too, like Own Home, Pai Corner, DaVinci and June. There's a new Israeli/Thai place called The Thai Kebab that has good grub (kebab, shish kebab, felafel, hummus, etc, plus unusually decent Thai dishes), too. There's a pickle bar with a large assortment of pickled vegetables (including eggplant), all pickled by the owner himself. Service is spotty but it's difficult to find good staff in Pai (the Drop Inn is an exception as the owners and his wife wait tables themselves).

And for other farang food in Pai, there's a new Israeli/Thai place called The Thai Kebab that has good grub (kebab, shish kebab, felafel, hummus, etc, plus unusually decent Thai dishes), too. There's a pickle bar with a large assortment of pickled vegetables (including eggplant), all pickled by the owner himself. Service is spotty but it's difficult to find good staff in Pai (the Drop Inn is an exception as the owners and his wife wait tables themselves).

I think that they were in Chiang Mai before in a very out-of-the-way location, but I heard very good things from the few people who found it.

There is a new Zen Macrobiotic Restaurant in town called the TianZi Restaurant. It is across from the Mai Ping Hotel's beer garden on Cum Pang Din Road most of the way down towards Sri Don Chai Road, near the night bazaar and has a lovely Japanese garden to relax and eat your meal.

The food is quite good for health food, but they are strict about using whole grains and all natural ingredients, so it is more interesting and healthy than tasty, but still enjoyable if you are inclined that way. :o

There is a new Zen Macrobiotic Restaurant in town called the TianZi Restaurant. It is across from the Mai Ping Hotel's beer garden on Cum Pang Din Road most of the way down towards Sri Don Chai Road, near the night bazaar and has a lovely Japanese garden to relax and eat your meal.

The food is quite good for health food, but they are strict about using whole grains and all natural ingredients, so it is more interesting and healthy than tasty, but still enjoyable if you are inclined that way. :o

I met the owner a few weeks ago at a party, seemed like an interesting endeavour. A vegan friend visiting from NYC tried it and thought it was very good.

And for other farang food in Pai, give the Drop Inn a try. High-quality cooking, best service in town and huge portions (the latter a negative for more delicate appetites, unless you have a room with a fridge).

A few other local places do decent farang too, like Own Home, Pai Corner, DaVinci and June. There's a new Israeli/Thai place called The Thai Kebab that has good grub (kebab, shish kebab, felafel, hummus, etc, plus unusually decent Thai dishes), too. There's a pickle bar with a large assortment of pickled vegetables (including eggplant), all pickled by the owner himself. Service is spotty but it's difficult to find good staff in Pai (the Drop Inn is an exception as the owners and his wife wait tables themselves).

Do you guys EVER eat Thai food? I will have a farung meal about once a week/month depending on what is happening but I can't recall reading a message where you ate Thai :D

I am not crazy about Thai food although I eat some to keep costs down and I do like a few dishes, but get bored of them if I eat them too frequently. I LOVE Japanese, but I can't afford to eat it often except for Sukura (On the Same Soi as the Main Branch of Gecko Books behind the Amora Ridges Hotel) which is very reasonable and tastes pretty good too.

I am not crazy about Thai food although I eat some to keep costs down and I do like a few dishes, but get bored of them if I eat them too frequently. I LOVE Japanese, but I can't afford to eat it often except for Sukura (On the Same Soi as the Main Branch of Gecko Books behind the Amora Ridges Hotel) which is very reasonable and tastes pretty good too.

I love Thai food and eat it almost all the time. I am lucky in that my wife can take the same six things and turn it into an almost infinite variety of dishes. At work I eat at the cafeteria and never order lunch just say "ahaan neughn jaan, alay gor dai kup" - I figure it is one less decision I need to make per day but they have a much more limited repetoire and getting pad seeue mu 3 times in one week gets a bit tiresome.

A friend of mine in Bangkok has lived here for over 20 years and almost never eats Thai food except when he goes back to Sydney were he has a much wider choice and the quality is much higher. He says that the general standard of Thai food has deteriorated dramatically over the years. Part of me agrees with him because I think the regional styles have been overtaken with "central" ie Bangkok style except for CM noodles which has pretty much stuck to the north.

> At work I eat at the cafeteria and never order lunch just say "ahaan neughn jaan, alay gor dai kup" -

> I figure it is one less decision I need to make per day but they have a much more limited repetoire

> and getting pad seeue mu 3 times in one week gets a bit tiresome.

You could start specifying the things you DONT want.

Like, still order "one plate of anything", but: "Just no phad see iw, no fried rice, no phad krapow and ESPECIALLY NOT with seafood, in fact, nothing that didn't spend it's life on land and on four legs, no cholesterol-bombs, and something more entertaining than fried vegetables. Please." :o

(Seriously though, I find that leaving it up to the cook/restaurant doesn't work very well because they tend to assume things about the type of food that they think Westerners prefer. You could use My awesome generic menu though it needs extending a bit with some more exotic suggestions.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

Like, still order "one plate of anything", but: "Just no phad see iw, no fried rice, no phad krapow and ESPECIALLY NOT with seafood, in fact, nothing that didn't spend it's life on land and on four legs, no cholesterol-bombs, and something more entertaining than fried vegetables. Please." :o

Or, following a more Buddhist approach, you could just go into a pizzeria and say, “Make me one with everything.” :D

Do you guys EVER eat Thai food? I will have a farung meal about once a week/month depending on what is happening but I can't recall reading a message where you ate Thai :bah:

Yes funny a 35-page thread entitled 'Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai' contains very few Thai recommendations. Maybe cuz so many posts issue from Ulysses Grant, who confesses not to liking Thai food very much, and so many are responses to those posts (including mine). :D

I've spent over half my life in Thailand and eat Thai most of the time. My wife is an excellent Thai cook, so we eat nothing but Thai at home. Also bring home market takeways a lot, my favourite source being Talat Thanin (had delicious น้ำพริกเห็ด from Thanin for lunch today), and when I go out to eat my first choice is usually Thai.

I go western maybe once a week, almost always at someone else's invitation or related to business. When eating farang my first choice is Italian/mediterranean, maybe cuz in texture/variety/lightness it's closer to Thai than American/British, yet it's American/British we see most of in this thread. :bah:

It goes without saying, I think, that Chiang Mai's Thai food is more remarkable than its farang food. So another reason we see a lot of farang recos here may be that members are having a hard time finding good western cooking :D. I feel sorry for expats who live here but don't cotton to the majority cuisine, cuz Thai is a safer bet. Luckily CM is not too bad when it comes to western food, though compared to BKK it falls short.

In Pai I eat western a bit more often because the number of places with good western good probably equal the number of places with good Thai food. Reminds me of another reco for Pai: the rustic, open-air resto at the Chinese Cultural Centre in nearby Ban Santichon serves the best Yunnanese food I've had outside Yunnan.

น้ำพริกเห็ด

Care to let the illiterates in on the secret, sabaijai :D ?

I'd really welcome recommendations for Thai dishes at specific restaurants :o .

It's Mushroom chilli paste!

My favourite is Nam Phrik Kha (galangal)

There used to be a lady selling it at Gat Gom (behind Wualai)

She had the most amazing recipe.

This time of year give me mango salad anyday, too hot for anything else.

But leave out the dessicated coconut as with all this pollution it sets me off coughing.

sabaijai:- If you drive along the 2nd ring road, from the Hang Dong, all the way around until you get to Rim Ping Plaza/Rom Chok market. Go through the lights or on the underpass as if you were headed to Mae Rim, keep an eye on the openings that allow you to take a U- turn, as though heading back towards Rim Ping, and take the 3rd one. You should then be headed back towards the market, after a short while you will see a large nightclub on your left. Immediately after this building there is a small slip road infront of a plumbers supply store. Take this turn and some 20 yards down there on the right is a small Thai restaurant, with a little car park. I urge you to try this place.

I've spent over half my life in Thailand and eat Thai most of the time. My wife is an excellent Thai cook, so we eat nothing but Thai at home. Also bring home market takeways a lot, my favourite source being Talat Thanin (had delicious น้ำพริกเห็ด from Thanin for lunch today), and when I go out to eat my first choice is usually Thai.

So that's another recommendation: Ban Sabaii Jai!

Do you have the opening hours?

sabaijai:- If you drive along the 2nd ring road, from the Hang Dong, all the way around until you get to Rim Ping Plaza/Rom Chok market. Go through the lights or on the underpass as if you were headed to Mae Rim, keep an eye on the openings that allow you to take a U- turn, as though heading back towards Rim Ping, and take the 3rd one. You should then be headed back towards the market, after a short while you will see a large nightclub on your left. Immediately after this building there is a small slip road infront of a plumbers supply store. Take this turn and some 20 yards down there on the right is a small Thai restaurant, with a little car park. I urge you to try this place.

I'll never find it .... :o

So that's another recommendation: Ban Sabaii Jai!

Do you have the opening hours?

If I could convince my wife to get back in the restaurant business - she has owned and operated four (not at the same time) in the past and has recently consulted for an upscale Thai resto in BKK I can't name here - it would be packed. But she now prefers to cook only for me and visitors to our home, and the rare catering job for friends. Maybe I should start charging visitors though ... She's toying with the idea of opening an 8- or 10-table resto open only on weekends, something along the lines of Food for You in Doi Saket (but with a better name and better decor :D).

> At work I eat at the cafeteria and never order lunch just say "ahaan neughn jaan, alay gor dai kup" -

> I figure it is one less decision I need to make per day but they have a much more limited repetoire

> and getting pad seeue mu 3 times in one week gets a bit tiresome.

(Seriously though, I find that leaving it up to the cook/restaurant doesn't work very well because they tend to assume things about the type of food that they think Westerners prefer. You could use My awesome generic menu though it needs extending a bit with some more exotic suggestions.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chanchao - thanks for the reply and the menu is good - one small point you have under Fried Eggs (page 6) khai jiow - khai jiow is an omelette a fried egg is khai dao (star) The word jiow means to fry but in cooking it means to mix the egg with a small amount of water and shallow fry in a wok not like a western fried egg.

The web site looks great and you have obviously put a lot of work into the menu - good to see

To give a bit of background to the situation - I eat at work everyday and the kitchen head always asks me what I want so I used to make the usual suggestions which she did, then over a time I started to ask for Yaam Blaa Duk Foo (fried catfish salad) Khoa Soi (CM noodles) and (bugger can't think of the Thai for it) Tiger Tears and everytime she would say "no just run out" which was a bit of a joke so I would just say ok give me what ever you have left over.

Actually getting Pad Siew Mu three times in one week has never happened before but since I started she has done some less common meals and much to the factory staff's delight they get CM noodles every Wednesday as a result.

Every morning my wife asks me every day what I want for dinner that night, and everyday I tell her some totally impossible food choice such as Antelope steaks on a bed of lime flavored red beans - sad I know but hey it works. She laughs and says she will check the market and then makes whatever she wants anyway.

Back to your menu I have eaten every single item on the list, if I get time over the weekend I will try to put some more suggestions for you, if you are interested.

Keep it up and good luck

If this is the one I think it is and from the description it would be most likely then the food there is very good, straight up trad thai. I used to live out that one before moving to San Kampaeng and went to those little restaurants, I spent several very pleasant evenings chatting to the waitresses in Thai. I am pretty sure Sabaijai speaks Thai which will help because none of the staff speak English and are astonished when a farung turns up without warning. They assume he is lost or looking for Picasso Karaoke Nightclub.

> Chanchao - thanks for the reply and the menu is good - one small point you have

> under Fried Eggs (page 6) khai jiow - khai jiow is an omelette a fried egg is

> khai dao (star) The word jiow means to fry but in cooking it means to mix the

> egg with a small amount of water and shallow fry in a wok not like a

> western fried egg.

Ahhh right. :o The problem is with my English.. In English almost anything that involves heat and a fatty substance is 'fry', or so I thought. :D

> Every morning my wife asks me every day what I want for dinner that night,

> and everyday I tell her some totally impossible food choice such as Antelope

> steaks on a bed of lime flavored red beans - sad I know but hey it works.

> She laughs and says she will check the market and then makes whatever she wants anyway.

LOL..!!! :D

A response I sometimes give is 'shark fins please' (Huu chalam nam daeng) knowing this won't be forthcoming.

> Back to your menu I have eaten every single item on the list, if I get time over the weekend I

> will try to put some more suggestions for you, if you are interested.

Yes definitely! I do need to keep it reasonably generic though, so as to not have too many dishes that aren't commonly available. Still, I think I'd like to include several more that can usually be made at well-stocked made-to-order stalls or small restaurants.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

Crow Boy Posted Today, 2007-03-09 14:55:17

QUOTE(mickmac @ 2007-03-07 20:53:09)

If this is the one I think it is and from the description it would be most likely then the food there is very good, straight up trad thai. I used to live out that one before moving to San Kampaeng and went to those little restaurants, I spent several very pleasant evenings chatting to the waitresses in Thai. I am pretty sure Sabaijai speaks Thai which will help because none of the staff speak English and are astonished when a farung turns up without warning. They assume he is lost or looking for Picasso Karaoke Nightclub.

Hi CB, It is immediately behind the Picasso Nightclub, on the edge of Lanna View. There are sometimes 2 young waitresses who have really good English as well, apparently learnt in Singapore. The food has always been good, especially when washed down with cold beer. The prices were also very reasonable as well.

I eat there about once per month. The food is very good and my girlfriend raves about the chicken, which she calls in advance about availability (as it takes a day to prepare I'm told). Lots of mosquitoes though.

Crow Boy Posted Today, 2007-03-09 14:55:17

QUOTE(mickmac @ 2007-03-07 20:53:09)

Hi CB, It is immediately behind the Picasso Nightclub, on the edge of Lanna View. There are sometimes 2 young waitresses who have really good English as well, apparently learnt in Singapore. The food has always been good, especially when washed down with cold beer. The prices were also very reasonable as well.

I haven't been there for a while but yes it is the one I was thinking of - I haven't found any of the waitresses who spoke English there but then I tend to just start off in Thai so they may have been too polite. :o

I eat there about once per month. The food is very good and my girlfriend raves about the chicken, which she calls in advance about availability (as it takes a day to prepare I'm told). Lots of mosquitoes though.

Description of the chicken dish please?