Evaluate My Photo

bcbuzz

post-75088-1239646029_thumb.jpg

too close to the subject for your cameras lens, what kind of camera and lens do you have? and hat programme do you use?

Thank you for your comments. The picture was shot using a Canon 40D with an EFS 17-85mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM lens.

Thank you for your comments. The picture was shot using a Canon 40D with an EFS 17-85mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM lens.

i looked up your camera specs via google, sounds like a good one by all reports, but i could not find any information on the type of focusing menu. Is there a menu that lets you select where focus is concentrated, ie center weighted, mult, full frame etc ? if so what is it set on or what is the default setting???

Do not know much about Cannon, thought they made good photo copiers (joking)

i looked up your camera specs via google, sounds like a good one by all reports, but i could not find any information on the type of focusing menu. Is there a menu that lets you select where focus is concentrated, ie center weighted, mult, full frame etc ? if so what is it set on or what is the default setting???

Do not know much about Cannon, thought they made good photo copiers (joking)

If you look closely at the shot you will find that the focus is slightly soft, this could be caused by the following:

1, Auto focus fooled by water (most likely cause), highly reflective surfaces are a problem for auto focus

Cure= use manual focus.

2, sllight camera shake, (I say slight because this no real doubling of the edges) caused by too low a shutter speed in relation to the focal lenght of the lens in use.

Cure= make sure shutter speed is at least equal to lens focal length eg. 125mm =1/125 second, if this is not acheivable use a tripod or steady yourself against something.

Don't be afraid to move out of the fully auto mode with your camera, use aperture and shutter priority modes to experience what effects they have on each other and the importance of prioritising one over the other depending on the subject, then when you understand the relationship they have with each other you will be able to use manual to greater effect in your photography.

N.B. Regarding the last poster, the terms centre weighted, multi or matrix and full frame relate to metering modes not focus areas as you quoted.

Hope this is of some help.

It's not totally unsharp. You can see there is an area where it is sharp. sharpspot-on-fish.jpg

But clearly there is movement in the shot by looking at the food pellet. I think the fish was doing a bit of a wiggle. Low light was probably the trouble on this shot giving too long of a shutter speed.

However, it is a really cool shot, and I like it.