Finished House Picture (Views and Gardens Welcome)

This isn't my house but an absolute mansion built by a farang for his girlfriend/wife in our village and never completed although it appears to be on the outside.Sadly the relationship broke up and now it is the local pidgeon coop and I estimate

500 of these pests using it as home.

Pretty fancy looking pigeon coop. My guess is, there are more than a few unfinished homes out there, not unlike this one.

There is someone living on site in an old thai style house on the left hand side of the photo up against the border,very hard to see behind the fence.There are 4 houses in a 5 km radius of our house that are in a simular situation.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many beautiful houses but late here, I'll look again tomorrow as I will build a house when me and Pakpoom move to tongue. Maybe I can copy one of these?

If I were you, I would hold off on any building plans until you actually spend some time in Thoeng, Chiang Rai. Having stated elsewhere that you have no experience outside of Bangkok and Pattaya you are likely to be in for a bit of a shock. I doubt you will find much opportunity to work on your all over tan in the remote rural town of Thoeng.wink.png Just take it slow and see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Naam

Nothing wrong with ceramic tile flooring, I just like wooden or laminate flooring. Now days there is really good quality laminate what is very strong and looks good.

wooden floors can be indeed very beautiful. the flooring of our home in Germany was all wood except the basement. but in a tropical or subtropical country (we lived mainly in Florida before moving to Thailand) i prefer to walk barefoot on cool tiles, granite or marble.

i don't like laminate because it looks and is in fact as fake as a 7Baht coin. no offence meant! wai.gif

Agreed.

Did marble in our place, nice to walk on and "feels" cooler inside - sensory illusion or reality, maybe a bit of both.

My unscientific observation is rocks tend to absorb and hold the ambient temp (moreso with direct sun exposure) but my sense and general experience is if we keep air moving across and off a 1" thick marble surface, seems to extract or at least lessen surface warmth. If we close the blinds during the day, walking into my place feels cooler than outside, wherein upstairs is, as expected, warmer.

Q: Is wood, as a flooring material, less prone to absorbing warmth but also faster to release it compared to marble?

Not getting into issue of wood expansion/contraction in heat/humid climate or pest control.

If I had a ranch style house, which I do prefer, I really like the system Naam said he had a while back, what I can only call a big arse suction fan at one end of his house, unless I'm mistaken about that.

Naam, if so, I always wanted to ask you this. When you switch on your big hoover (I think you said in the AM?), do you keep the opposite side of the house closed, so as to not pull through new air, just remove that already built up in the house and in essence, from the household articles as well (sofas, beds, etc), just to a break even point? Or open and, assuming the outside is a bit cooler, the strategy is enhanced by passing the cooler air through the house and articles, then do you switch on the air con afterward during the day?

Naam, if so, I always wanted to ask you this. When you switch on your big hoover (I think you said in the AM?), do you keep the opposite side of the house closed, so as to not pull through new air, just remove that already built up in the house and in essence, from the household articles as well (sofas, beds, etc), just to a break even point? Or open and, assuming the outside is a bit cooler, the strategy is enhanced by passing the cooler air through the house and articles, then do you switch on the air con afterward during the day?

you can't suck out air of an enclosed house Jay. there has to be air from outside flowing into the house to replace the exhausted volume. i made a mistake once switching on the whole-house fan before opening the windows which caused horrible high pitched whistling noises by the air sucked in from small gaps in sliding doors and windows. here an airflow sketch of my home which i posted some days ago in another thread (blue arrows outside air sucked into the house)

from the other thread:

-the whole-house fan is used in the very early morning hours to replace all inside air with fresh air within a few minutes. during the cool season (outside temp <25ºC) this fan is run for several hours (~04.00 till sunrise) not only for cool fresh air but to cool down inside walls and floors.

yes, after airing the home i switch on some of my aircons (number of units depending on season) to cool down and dehumidify the air.

AIRFLOW.JPG

Naam

Nothing wrong with ceramic tile flooring, I just like wooden or laminate flooring. Now days there is really good quality laminate what is very strong and looks good.

wooden floors can be indeed very beautiful. the flooring of our home in Germany was all wood except the basement. but in a tropical or subtropical country (we lived mainly in Florida before moving to Thailand) i prefer to walk barefoot on cool tiles, granite or marble.

i don't like laminate because it looks and is in fact as fake as a 7Baht coin. no offence meant! wai.gif

I bit the bullet and installed wooden stairs, landing and two upper bedrooms and don't regret it

post-10942-0-56328800-1350046755_thumb.j post-10942-0-25128300-1350046782_thumb.j post-10942-0-91496100-1350046804_thumb.j

you can't suck out air of an enclosed house Jay. there has to be air from outside flowing into the house to replace the exhausted volume. i made a mistake once switching on the whole-house fan before opening the windows which caused horrible high pitched whistling noises by the air sucked in from small gaps in sliding doors and windows. here an airflow sketch of my home which i posted some days ago in another thread (blue arrows outside air sucked into the house)

from the other thread:

-the whole-house fan is used in the very early morning hours to replace all inside air with fresh air within a few minutes. during the cool season (outside temp <25ºC) this fan is run for several hours (~04.00 till sunrise) not only for cool fresh air but to cool down inside walls and floors.

yes, after airing the home i switch on some of my aircons (number of units depending on season) to cool down and dehumidify the air.

AIRFLOW.JPG

Didn't see this other thread, thanks.

Dumb question about closed windows, wasn't thinking it was quite so powerful I guess, bet that really moves some air.

Thanks again,

J

Naam

I bit the bullet and installed wooden stairs, landing and two upper bedrooms and don't regret it

post-10942-0-56328800-1350046755_thumb.j post-10942-0-25128300-1350046782_thumb.j post-10942-0-91496100-1350046804_thumb.j

wow! i stand corrected. looks indeed good thumbsup.gif my only defense is that until now i've seen only sh*tty laminate floors.

Sorry the name of the wood is locked in the mind of the missing builder

Our floor (which looks pretty like yours) is mai daeng (Burmese ironwood), very hard indeed. All our wood floors, window and door frames along with the banisters are this wood. Doors, windows (moving parts) and the roof barges are mai sak (Thai teak).

Can some one give me a tip where i can buy these mae daeng boards and estimate how much it cost / squeare meter??

I am going to CM area soon for about one week to look wooden furnitures and wood carvings etc....

I have a car in there and good relationship with one cargo company so transportation is no probs.

I live in Khanom, between Surat Thani and Nakhon si Thammarat.

• 1 month later...
side angle hmm how to rotate these?

You have to rotate the image before you upload it. Any photo editing software will do it, even Vista can do it (right click on your photo file, choose rotate).

Here you go smile.gif

post-14979-1239806905_thumb.jpg

Nice, how big is this mansion? smile.gif

3 stories, underground parking, pool, seperate maids quarters, 8000 sq m... a bit bigger than we need but oh well cool.gif not too bad for a wedding present

of course its right next to mom and dads house :rolleyes:

You sure your not over selling it there ??? I mean it looks large an all but thats .8 of a hectare of floorspace !!! So unless theres about 10 more of those hidden from the camera I reckon somethings not right..

My last place was 500sqm of floorspace on 2 levels and was HUGE.. having 16 times thats space is insane..

perhaps 800. theres no way thats 8000!...

Looking through the whole thread, the two nicest houses are on the first page.

The OP's house and the one by Sir Burr.

Evan Johns.

Rimmers is pretty nice!...very padly.

There are many nice homes in here and Sir Burr and Rimmers are very high on my list, too.smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Soon my first part of my project will be finished.smile.png

Little bit late as usually in Thailand

4 houses and sauna & spa building, big sun deck and 3m x 3m chiller dipping pool front of saunas.

Thai style herbal steam sauna and original Finnish sauna.

Saunas are almost finished and houses should be ready after new year.

It was pretty hard to teach locals how to make proper water proofing for bathrooms, ( primer, fiber glass, water proofing ) blink.png

Next week is coming landscaping guys and we will put grass, bushes and trees in every house gardens + spa area.

How much you paid for your removal grass by m2???? ( installed )

Any ideas how much can be carpenter made 2m wide and 3m high bedroom cabinet for clothes?? Drawer boxes down, half area for hanging clothes, and half with shelves.

3 sliding doors with mirrors. Made with semi good wood and topping with 4mm teak wood. Local carpenter ask 38000b / each ??? sounds little bit rough??

post-22292-0-64827900-1355665762_thumb.j

post-22292-0-14678500-1355665829_thumb.j

post-22292-0-48796400-1355666091_thumb.j

post-22292-0-63855400-1355666151_thumb.j

post-22292-0-77929700-1355666693_thumb.j

post-22292-0-48574100-1355666788_thumb.j

post-22292-0-01401700-1355666951_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I hope we can finished sauna building before new year ;0)

Next week start land scape project.

We are very happy because they will make new beach side road from SICHON to KHANOM. Soon people can go from DON SAK all way to down south with beautiful beach road. Don Sak new international should be ready in few years. Then charter flights can come straight to south Thailand. I think Khanom will grow really fast in next few years.

By the way!!!!

Merry Xmas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-22292-0-86672300-1356431745_thumb.j

post-22292-0-22115800-1356431854_thumb.j

post-22292-0-90100700-1356431940_thumb.j

post-22292-0-40117400-1356432217_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not a house but putting up a salon end of the drive now that we are in residence permanently.

79 years old, Dad is always the site foreman around here, overseeing the work crews. He's getting his hands back on wood work which was his former profession as a furniture builder, here crafting some upper glass window frames.

He's a pack rat, wood just keeps materializing, gets sanded off and used. Biggest costs so far - concrete/sand/gravel, blocks, roof tiles, sliding glass door windows with sliding screens, and the labor. Just bought the floor tile 2 days ago, tad over 3,000 with the grout, not bad, so I'm still under $1,000.00 on my end. Can't imagine what this would cost in the States.

Government lad came by last week and had us saw off the overhanging eaves from the left side of the property (1st photo) which borders government land/dirt road, you can see the sharp cut line on that side. We also had to move the sliding glass door entry to the front side hence having to knock out a section of front concrete wall. Did plan to have the sliding entry from the government road side but this alt works better, place to park motorcy without customers standing in mud during rain.

Rimmers hovel at Phoenix Golf Course Pattaya. More pics if anyone give a stuff at:

http://www.flickr.co...os/banjopicker/

Thats a beautiful house Rimmer. Did you design and build or just buy as is?

I'll answer for him. He's probably not following this topic any more. He did the design and was intimately involved in the build...hands on the entire way. Great place to visit and while away the time on his back patio.

I'm not sure if my post was deleted by a moderator or if the problems yesterday wiped it out. Anyways, I won't repost my helpful comment and instead encourage more members to post pictures of their projects.

Nothing has been deleted since 17th Feb. Helpful comments always welcome :)

We are very happy because they will make new beach side road from SICHON to KHANOM. Soon people can go from DON SAK all way to down south with beautiful beach road. Don Sak new international should be ready in few years. Then charter flights can come straight to south Thailand. I think Khanom will grow really fast in next few years.

By the way!!!!

A sauna in Thailand ?

You must be out of your mind .

By the way!!!!

A sauna in Thailand ?

You must be out of your mind .

Yes, sauna in Thailand is great.biggrin.png You have a house to show us?thumbsup.gif

Archived