Finished House Picture (Views and Gardens Welcome)

side angle hmm how to rotate these?

You have to rotate the image before you upload it. Any photo editing software will do it, even Vista can do it (right click on your photo file, choose rotate).

Here you go smile.gif

post-14979-1239806905_thumb.jpg

Nice, how big is this mansion? smile.gif

3 stories, underground parking, pool, seperate maids quarters, 8000 sq m... a bit bigger than we need but oh well cool.gif not too bad for a wedding present

of course its right next to mom and dads house rolleyes.gif

8000 or 800?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

View from our outdoor kitchen at our place north west of Chiang Mai ( secret valley...)

Looks like a nice place to live. The picture doesn’t look recent though. I assume you couldn’t see anything the last couple of months. Hope it is better now.

Amazing thread. I just discovered it. I generally lurk the wooden door forum in the construction sub-forum. I love seeing the house builds. Some guy even posted a build thread of his house in Cambodia, however it was very very similar to the modern Thai houses.

I'm a young guy, so I'm a bit jealous of all the fantastic houses in this thread. Even people with modest wooden homes have some very cool features. I read thread after thread of people saying "rent, don't buy" and "only spend what you are prepared to lose" but the builds/photos in this thread are refreshing.

I'm assuming that the more impressive houses in here are occupied year round. Do the people with the nicer builds also keep a house in their home country? Also I'm assuming the people that live outside of town have a car or two? At that point living in Thailand is a serious life changing commitment.

Amazing thread. I just discovered it. I generally lurk the wooden door forum in the construction sub-forum. I love seeing the house builds. Some guy even posted a build thread of his house in Cambodia, however it was very very similar to the modern Thai houses.

I'm a young guy, so I'm a bit jealous of all the fantastic houses in this thread. Even people with modest wooden homes have some very cool features. I read thread after thread of people saying "rent, don't buy" and "only spend what you are prepared to lose" but the builds/photos in this thread are refreshing.

I'm assuming that the more impressive houses in here are occupied year round. Do the people with the nicer builds also keep a house in their home country? Also I'm assuming the people that live outside of town have a car or two? At that point living in Thailand is a serious life changing commitment.

I am glad you like the thread and will take a stab at your questions from my perspective. I have on several occasions recommended against fellow foreigners putting too much money into a house they are not going to live in full-time.

There are just too many things that can go wrong if a nice house is left unattended or is left in the hands of those who don’t know how to take care of it. I understand the desire to have someplace nice to stay when visiting family in Thailand but I don’t usually recommend it for a once a year visit.

I briefly had a condo in Bangkok and the house in Chiang Rai but chose Chiang Rai as our full-time residence and sold the condo after ten years of living there. I own no foreign real-estate. Trucks and SUVs are the preferred mode of transportation if you live as far outside of town as we do.

I have lived here so long, it has been a long slow and gradual transition to where I am today. You are correct in your observation of this being a serious life changing commitment, especially if you find Thailand late in life and want everything all at once.

Speaking of which, what can go wrong to a house left unattended? Besides theft, I really don't understand.

In the USA, our family has a country house that sits unattended for 300 days out of the year. We had a squirrel get inside once and that was the only thing bad that ever happened as a result of leaving it unattended. The squirrel was inside for maybe 6 months! He ate any kind of food item he could find.

Speaking of which, what can go wrong to a house left unattended? Besides theft, I really don't understand.

In the USA, our family has a country house that sits unattended for 300 days out of the year. We had a squirrel get inside once and that was the only thing bad that ever happened as a result of leaving it unattended. The squirrel was inside for maybe 6 months! He ate any kind of food item he could find.

Never mind a Squirrel getting in the house. There are many instances of the extended Thai family getting in and they are really hard to get out again. biggrin.png

If you leave a house unnattended, especially in an area where you have no family to keep an eye on it it will get stolen.

Not things inside the house, I mean the house. You would come back to find a slab or stumps.

• 1 month later...

So this has taken me the best part of two working days to read, obviously inbetween getting some classes taught and pretending to look busy.

I have enjoyed reading nearly every single post here its a breath of fresh air to have something to read that doesn't involve being called out on something or someone making stupid replies to cause a fight.

VF I am in the dreaming stage at the moment, at only 27 and living here full time now for 18 months I am just about ready to commit and build something personal and special to me, I see me living in it as a young man and eventually pottering about in it as an old one, Mrs Jambco had some land given to her by the MIL and we are wanting to take the rollercoaster ride that is building our own nest.

I hear all you nay sayers saying what the chuff at 27? I am ex British military and find when I put my mind to something I get it done and thats where I'm at right now.

Off topic a bit here but I just love, naming no names as I see it has caused some trouble in the past, some chap who will remain nameless blog biggrin.png

Everyone take it easy out there and I hope this thread goes for many more years.

Keep sending your pictures. I hope mine will be up there soon.

Take care

Darren

So this has taken me the best part of two working days to read, obviously inbetween getting some classes taught and pretending to look busy.

I have enjoyed reading nearly every single post here its a breath of fresh air to have something to read that doesn't involve being called out on something or someone making stupid replies to cause a fight.

VF I am in the dreaming stage at the moment, at only 27 and living here full time now for 18 months I am just about ready to commit and build something personal and special to me, I see me living in it as a young man and eventually pottering about in it as an old one, Mrs Jambco had some land given to her by the MIL and we are wanting to take the rollercoaster ride that is building our own nest.

I hear all you nay sayers saying what the chuff at 27? I am ex British military and find when I put my mind to something I get it done and thats where I'm at right now.

Off topic a bit here but I just love, naming no names as I see it has caused some trouble in the past, some chap who will remain nameless blog biggrin.png

Everyone take it easy out there and I hope this thread goes for many more years.

Keep sending your pictures. I hope mine will be up there soon.

Take care

Darren

Thanks for reading and thanks for all those “likes” you gave along the way. If you are 27 or 57 it really shouldn’t matter all that much. Of course it may not end up being your last place but having your own home at any age can make life a little more comfortable and enjoyable. Hope things workout for you.thumbsup.gif

almost finished

crikey tb86 et onto your builder. the've built it the wrong way up

Yeah man, stairs are a real pain

I was under the impression you had one of those Thai ceremonies, you know the ones with a dead chick or pig, some string, candles and whatever. Thought that would have taken care any tilt problems and gotten the house right way up. I’m guessing it must be a joy to live there now.biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

almost finished

crikey tb86 et onto your builder. the've built it the wrong way up

Yeah man, stairs are a real pain

I was under the impression you had one of those Thai ceremonies, you know the ones with a dead chick or pig, some string, candles and whatever. Thought that would have taken care any tilt problems and gotten the house right way up. I’m guessing it must be a joy to live there now.biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

It's those cheap Australian plans he used, if it was in Oz it would be OK :)

Thanks for reading and thanks for all those “likes” you gave along the way. If you are 27 or 57 it really shouldn’t matter all that much. Of course it may not end up being your last place but having your own home at any age can make life a little more comfortable and enjoyable. Hope things workout for you.thumbsup.gif

Sometimes I just couldn't help myself with the likes, a lot of what you write is just great humbling honesty and its something that is lost on here sometimes.

I enjoy your posts from naam, crossy, mr bojangles and your good self, I really like Naam's home its a cracker but all I see is Lt. Commander Worf walking around with his big rigid head. If on the other hand you are Michael Dorn then please accept my apologies. biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Thanks for the reply VF keep up the good work, here and elsewhere.

That's a "kensington". Was it transported to and build in Thailand or in Australia?

Would really like to know the final costs for this kit home home transported and completed.

Build time, expertise needed etc.

Edited by Khun Jean

Thanks for reading and thanks for all those “likes” you gave along the way. If you are 27 or 57 it really shouldn’t matter all that much.

Of course it may not end up being your last place but having your own home at any age can make life a little more comfortable and enjoyable.

Hope things workout for you.thumbsup.gif

Sometimes I just couldn't help myself with the likes, a lot of what you write is just great humbling honesty and its something that is lost on here

sometimes. I enjoy your posts from naam, crossy, mr bojangles and your good self, I really like Naam's home its a cracker but all I see is

Lt. Commander Worf walking around with his big rigid head. If on the other hand you are Michael Dorn then please accept my apologies. biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Thanks for the reply VF keep up the good work, here and elsewhere.

if home/living is a high priority on a TV-member's list he/she is always welcome to drop by and meet the real Naam if he is not in another country where, under threat of another heart attack, he is since more than a year wrecking his nerves one week nearly every month, spending $$$ to bring back a crumbling ruin (built pre World War I) to its former formidable beauty which (when finished) will make his home in Thailand look like a cheap hut.

this is the twin of the building i am talking about, in a better shape, located about 15 kilometers from the one i am remodelling. my problem is neither skilled workers nor materials but some goddàmn bastids of a certain government authority who drive me nucking futs with their various unreasonable demands of "all sorts".

post-35218-0-81186000-1339648399_thumb.j

Edited by Naam