Glass Bricks In Floors

Crossy

Our current house design has a 1.5m square light well in the middle of the upstairs floor (open to the sky) to illuminate the area under the house.

I was thinking that if I close this off with glass blocks I'll gain space upstairs (lose the guard rail) without losing much light.

My idea is to support regular 6" glass blocks in a welded steel frame (1" angle) which is bolted into the sides of the hole. Gaps waterproofed with clear silicon.

Obviously it needs to be load supporting so I don't go downstairs without using the stairs :o

Anybody tried this?

Edited by Crossy

Can't recall having seen glass blocks as a floor anywhere, however I've seen laminated glass used as flooring. Not sure how cost effective it would be, as the glass blocks are quite cheap. But the laminated glass would take away less of the light. Maybe not the answer you were looking for but possibly something to consider. I did a quick search internet search, and came up with this, kind of looks like what you're proposing, just bigger tiles.

post-70239-1239988704_thumb.jpg

Our current house design has a 1.5m square light well in the middle of the upstairs floor (open to the sky) to illuminate the area under the house.

I was thinking that if I close this off with glass blocks I'll gain space upstairs (lose the guard rail) without losing much light.

My idea is to support regular 6" glass blocks in a welded steel frame (1" angle) which is bolted into the sides of the hole. Gaps waterproofed with clear silicon.

Obviously it needs to be load supporting so I don't go downstairs without using the stairs :o

Anybody tried this?

I would have thought the well is not just to get light into the lower levels, but to ventilate hot air out as well. Closing it with glass blocks will also affect good ventilation.

Crossy

Most glass blocks are designed for the wall, however you might be able to find diff glass thickness that might be able to use for the floor - in Thailand-, if you can’t find the ones specifically for the floor.

The key here:..as long as they can withstand the load bearing of “at least” 40 lbs per square foot… and have some sort of non-slip or sandblasted surface, it should be ok.

Reminder: the bigger the panel, the thicker the steel frame and the bigger/higher strength screws attaching the frame to the parameter side wall.

TC

edit: when choosing the screws: make sure to add the "weight" of the panel (glass+steel frame) also... this way you will not be getting the "under-strength" screws.

Edited by teacup

Thanks chaps, good thoughts :o

I don't think ventilation will be an issue, the lower (14m x 12m) space is open on 3 sides so a through flow of air is assured.

I was toying with the idea of casting the support frame into the floor slab via the cast-in-place frame around the opening.

If I can find some solid glass blocks rather than the hollow ones used for walls they may be stronger (and transmit more light) whilst being thinner overall.

It's all well in the future anyway, I'll have a word with Khun Architect and see what he thinks.

Edited by Crossy

Is this intended glass block slab internal or external? Meaning, is it exposeded to rain or water?

If it has to be watertight, your structural support has to be designed not so much for loadbearing, but rather for min. deflection over a 1.5m span. I estimate you will need min. 50x150mm rectangular steel sections welded into a grid that fits each glass block nicely with not more than 5mm gaps all round the blocks.

Is this intended glass block slab internal or external? Meaning, is it exposeded to rain or water?

If it has to be watertight, your structural support has to be designed not so much for loadbearing, but rather for min. deflection over a 1.5m span. I estimate you will need min. 50x150mm rectangular steel sections welded into a grid that fits each glass block nicely with not more than 5mm gaps all round the blocks.

It's external (outdoor floor) although it needs to be water resistant as opposed to water tight, it's not a room underneath.

50x150 (2" x 6") box seems rather OTT to my non-structural engineer mind and would shut out a considerable amount of light.

Edited by Crossy

Can't recall having seen glass blocks as a floor anywhere, however I've seen laminated glass used as flooring. Not sure how cost effective it would be, as the glass blocks are quite cheap. But the laminated glass would take away less of the light. Maybe not the answer you were looking for but possibly something to consider. I did a quick search internet search, and came up with this, kind of looks like what you're proposing, just bigger tiles.

post-70239-1239988704_thumb.jpg

The use of 12mm thick laminated glass would be more practical. But 1.5m sq single piece has to be specially ordered as standard floated glass comes in 1.2x2.4m. Else, you can use 2 equal small pieces 0.75x1.5m.

Crossy--

Take a look at this detail. http://www.ibpglassblock.com/images/floor/floor6.jpg

Standard wall block isn't strong enough for use in a floor. The site has several good ideas similar to what you are talking about.

Glass block has been used successfully in interior space, but not for exterior that is exposed to the weather. Glass blocks are small rigid elements but the support structure (usually steel) is flexible. Small gaps will open up between blocks due to deflection of the structure, unless the deflection is kept to a minimum.

Edited by trogers

• 3 weeks later...

err... not sure if Mr Crossy has sorted this out yet, but found a leaflet for paving glass block system in Thailand.

you can buy a prefabricated frame for the blocks, only comes in 3 sizes though 2x2,4x4 and 3x5 blocks.

paving glass block system

the website doesn't say much but the leaflet is quite detailed, has step by step installation photos, but text in Thai, can scan if anyone's interested..

the website doesn't say much but the leaflet is quite detailed, has step by step installation photos, but text in Thai, can scan if anyone's interested..

Well spotted that man :D

I see what you mean about the website, it would be hard to include less information :)

Yes, a scan of the leaflet would be nice, the system looks like what we need assuming several of the frames can be combined with suitable support.

here you go Crossy

hope this is of some help and that you can read thai

post-80122-1241657927_thumb.jpg

post-80122-1241658054_thumb.jpg

post-80122-1241658094_thumb.jpg

post-80122-1241658125_thumb.jpg

post-80122-1241658158_thumb.jpg

this system uses a lip in the concrete floor as support, so if you can bolt some suitable concrete slabs into the cut out hole of your existing floor as a lip this may work too although your floor must be pretty deep to accomodate the lip and the blocks...... or maybe you could raise the surrounding edge of the blocks ??

Ask the owners of Baccara how the did their glass floor ;-), in Soi C....y just in case you are not aware :-0

555, 'Er Indoors would be out buying ducks if she thought I'd been visiting anywhere in Soi C. particularly an establishment with a glass floor :):D