Looking For Guitar Tutor..

Pdaz

I've been playing electric guitar for around a year.. There is lot's of info online and some great video lessons.. and I've been to the Music school on Sukhumvit nearby Pattaya Klang for a few Months but the lessons weren't really structured well enough.. The 'Ajarn' was a good guy, friendly and an excellent player but not able to explain concepts/techniques in the detail I required.

Now I'm looking for suggestions/recomendations for a guitar tutor in Pattaya or preferably a farang who has some spare time and enjoys guitar.. and would like to pass on their knowledge... for beer money etc... I practice daily and I'm making progress but sure I could be learning more with some guidance.. My interest is in the usual mid life crisis rock classics :o and blues/electric blues.. plus more modern brit pop, reggae and rock.

Maybe you know all this already but here's a few suggestions anyway....

1. If you have UBC go to channels 9 and 10 on the radio list, classic rock and blues respectively. The blues channel is particularly good for jamming along with.

2. You'll find the chords and solo's of all your favourite tracks listed online as "tab".

3. If you don't have a multi effects pedal already then get one, it opens up a whole new dimension. I use a Zoom G1 which has a drum machine, tuner and a vast amount of effects. I saw one in a shop in Pattaya recently for about 4,000 THB.

4. If you just want to play blues rock I wouldn't worry too much about all the Dminor/sus5/dim4/add7 technical stuff. 1-5-7 and the blues pentatonic scale is more than enough.

"A rock guitarist is someone who plays three chords in front of thousands of people. A jazz guitarist is someone who plays thousands of chords in front of three people!"

Thanks for the reply..

I usually plug my ipod into my amp or rip parts of an MP3 so I can concentrate on a specific few bars.. This is also gives me the option of slowing the playback speed.

I've got a RP150 multi effects pedal.. As you say it really opens up a new World and it's great to be able to alter your tone to suit the artist.. from AC/DC to Pink Floyd to Acoustic all from presets or downloaded patches.

I've downloaded and use a whole bunch of original tab books from torrents.. Seems more accurate than online tab.

Got the Blues and Pentatonc scales down.. just need to work on my speed and accuracy .. Plus working on Barre chords.. again trying to improve accuracy etc.

Agree with you that basic rock chords etc are simple compared to Jazz + classical guitar.. However fast alternate picking and solos need a lot of time to perfect .. combining that with bends, pull-offs and hammer-ons just ain't simple.. Worse keeping the time and developing rhythm is very dificult for me..

That is what I was really looking for a tutor to explain..

The mechanics I figure are just about perseverance and practice.. but understanding theory,notes, 'rests' and bringing an entire song together from all the parts is what I'm finding hardest..

I know it ain't gonna come overnight. just be good to have a decent source of info other than the 'net'

cheers PD

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I'll be there on the 26-05-09,for a couple of week give me a buzz on my Pattaya phone number 0875419958,I may be able to give you a quick guitar work out.mean time check my web sit and see what I do for living ,see ya ,riki visit www.dr-riki.com.au

Worse keeping the time and developing rhythm is very dificult for me

A few basic tips:

Always practice with a metronome (yes, it's boring but it yields results - try it for just a week and you'll be amazed).

Everything you practice, do it painstakingly slow and deliberate at first. That way it becomes much easier to develop accuracy and speed.

Worse keeping the time and developing rhythm is very dificult for me

A few basic tips:

Always practice with a metronome (yes, it's boring but it yields results - try it for just a week and you'll be amazed).

Everything you practice, do it painstakingly slow and deliberate at first. That way it becomes much easier to develop accuracy and speed.

Agree with this poster is saying.

Also, always try to enjoy playing even when you practice.

And try not to become too much of a 'gearhead', just get enough kit to get the job done.