How To Be Happy In Thailand

Pierrot

It seems there are two kinds of people (expat) in Thailand : people who get fined, overcharged for everything and people who enjoy a normal life.

What kinds of advise you (the lucky ones) can give to the less fortunate guys, that people will stop taking advantage of them ? And, more generally speaking, how to enjoy life in Thaliand.

Been said a million times be careful when playing with BG's.

Try to meet normal working people in similar stature to yourself i.e join a gym / club / go to places with no BG's

I have a wife now but one place I go to for sports I am the only farang and you need to drive there because its on the outskirts of Bangkok there are lots of good looking girls with own cars etc who go there - i'm sure they don't eye up people to make a sting...but this is an only my assumption....

You are correct 100 %, there are hundred thousands of single women with a good job, own house and a car. But most of men don't like to make the effort getting to know them. Its more easy to find a BG in Nana of Pattaya.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn Thai...

Don't act like a tourist... I always laugh when people walk around shopping on Silom and look at little item like it is a treasure they can't leave without...

Don't act like you have too much money to spend...

Educated yourself...

Make friends with middle-class Thai...

Stay out of bars, be careful with your money and don't trust the women. :)

Hang on a minute, that doesn't sound like fun.

But seriously; there is only one moral in life and that is to do what you want to do (within reason of course)....Many people try so hard to be happy that they never get there. It is the trying that makes them unhappy. Relax and enjoy. The moment you start making rules and regulations for being happy it ceases to be fun. Anyone with some sense, and especially if they read this forum will know that it is unwise to marry a bargirl, build a house in her village and not learn the language. Yet many do, and many seem quite happy. Some have lost out and they move on or under. Some remain under the thumb - exactly the same as in the West.

As for the shorts and flip flops thing. When walking up and down the soi and going to the market that's what the locals wear, as do I. When going out for as meal or shopping in a mall then we wear respectable clothes.

In regards to the language. If you are staying here for a while you should learn the basic language. Otherwise you are always at the mercy of people that may not have your best interest at heart. But if you want to live that way then maybe thats a good thing. Sometimes it's better not to know.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

smile, don't look grumpy, be over polite, but be aware, don't jump at the first thing, look around, just be 'aware' if you dont want something smile and say no thanks, don't be rude, don't go with a bg, don't give a sin sot, don't give gold

i only by pressies for the wife when its her birthday or a special holiday, she explains all the bills, shows me all the home bills (i live in HER house), give her amount of dosh for the food bills, she doesn't work and yes she is from a hair salon, so not a hi-so girl and yes we live in isaan, laid back and 1/4 price of BKK

do not live life in a bar, beleive it or thai ladies like european ladies do like a bit of love and affection!!!! if you show the girl you are not a mug then she won't treat you like one and learn the lingo, i am trying, but god its hard work, specially when you are tone deaf

Weel said the tone thing is also the biggest obstacle fr me ,it seems even harder than Chinese.I lived there a year and while nowhere near fluent folks could understand when I spoke here despite years of practice I often make tone errors leaving people agape

Good luck ruraal bliss away from attaya and bangkok is recipe for a ful and happy life

Man was born good,

Women made him worst...

-Serge Gainsbourg-

Birkin recollects the beginning of her affair with Gainsbourg, where he first took her to a nightclub, then to a transvestite club and afterwards to the Hilton hotel, where he passed out in a drunken stupor.

About par for the course :)

(wiki)

Some inflammatory posts & answers have been removed. Keep it civil gentlemen.... :D

I never thought these kind of comments and moderation will be needed on a thread tittled "How to be happy in Thailand"

It really says a lot about the people posting here :D

Anyway, still a couple of good advises make it worse reading :)

Couldn't agree more. What started out as a positive, interesting thread, soon attracted a few negative comments. I'll try to turn it back to the positive, some have been said before btw.

1. learn the lingo. If you turned up in London, Brisbane or NYNY and couldn't speak a smidgen of English after three or four years of living there, would you be welcome? It says a lot for Thai hospitality that some of us are welcome at all.

2. if you want to meet a gf or wife, you won't meet her in a bar or club, you'll meet her through friends or working colleagues. This is as true in Thailand as it is in 'The West'

3. give a little. What goes around comes around. 'pen Ga-Ma'

4. admit you are not perfect and have no right to impose your western values (from which some are running away) on Thai society. i.e. don't be a 'doctor head' ....farang hua maw

5. get out of BKK sometime!

I've had a lot of support from my Thai friends and family over the last x years. The only trouble has come from farang who think they know better and look down on Thai culture.

Us farang seem to fall into two categories: integrate or denegrate.

If you want to be happy, try the former. If you like the latter, please leave because you're giving the rest of us a bad name!

Thailand is a wonderful place that has as many negatives as Chicago, Melbourne or Toronto. The answer is not in the place, the answer is within you. Look into yourself first.