How To Be Happy In Thailand

Pierrot

I have found I'm extremely happy here in this small developing third world country if I:

*NEVER EVER smile, at anyone

*if a thai (or a foreigner too for that matter) stares at me; I give direct constant eye contact until they look away.

*when speaking thai; I speak as direct, as blunt, and as to the point as I can to thais. they are not equipped to deal with sentence constructs like this due to the generations of mindless politeness they have had pounded into them.

*I never end a sentence with "noi" (หน่อย) or "khrap" (ครับ ), don't "kaw" (ขอ) when asking for things, don't "ao" (เอา), instead "yak" (อยาก) as it is more direct and to the point and gives less room for waffling in the answer

*I never EVER accept "mai-bphen-rai" (ไม่เป็นไร) as an answer to ANY question, instead say, "I don't want an excuse, I want an answer".

*I never ever trust foreigners or natives here, ever!

One adage which I have found has served me well in my life is a quote from Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS; "Don't take shit from anyone ever. .."

To reply to Texpat; I have found IF you lower your expectations here to expecting abso-tively posi-lutely NOTHING; every once in a while the thais will meet those expectations.

To the "mindless foreign wanna-b-thai sock puppets" who say, "If you don't like it leave". Please realize I live here by CHOICE not chance, and will continue to do so, thank you.

(the above things work for me, please remember your mileage may vary, and your version of reality may not be compatible with mine)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems there are two kinds of people (expat) in Thailand : people who get fined, overcharged for everything and people who enjoy a normal life.

What kinds of advise you (the lucky ones) can give to the less fortunate guys, that people will stop taking advantage of them ? And, more generally speaking, how to enjoy life in Thaliand.

How does that saying go? "You are the friends you keep."

... and married my Thai lady in 2000.

We have a 4 year old son and our 10th wedding anniversary comes along on Tuesday..

Hate to be picky but... Isn't that your 9th anniversary? :D

I only mention it because, if you follow the modern guide to anniversary presents:

[b]Ann.       Traditional               Modern[/b]
9th	  Pottery, China	    Leather goods
10th	  Tin, Aluminium	    Diamond jewellery

That makes the 10th a good deal more expensive than the 9th (which, by the sound of it, suggests there is rather more fun to be had... :o )

Anyway, congratulations :D

Sorry

I was tired (too many 11 hour days and 7 day weeks lately). :D

I worked out it was 10 years from 2000 to 2009 but after reading your post I realised that 2000 WAS the wedding and not the anniversary.

Good timing as I will phone my wife tomorrow and wish hera happy 9th weeding anniversary and say that we have been married 10 years.

I will buy her a new motor bike ofr the anniversary and I get to keep the old one.

28 days tomorrow I fly back home to Thailand for good. :P:D:wai:

In reply to the original post - easy - understand and accept (hard I know) that you will be lucky to find a handful of true Thai friends so will have to rely on farang friendships. Equally, realise that you need to be v choosy with farang friendships too!

From the posts I've read from Western women married to Thai men, I think they find it easier to genuinely be accepted by Thai society. Presumably 'cos Western women don't immediately think of Thailand as a place to find 'available' men, and Thai men don't have a reputation of marrying Western women for their money! It makes it easier for the Thai families to genuinely accept the Western women as part of the family (I assume!)

Other than that, I find life v happy here if I smile (unlike Tod-Daniels - everyone to their own!), am polite and dress reasonably well (i.e. not in the scruffiest clothes possible!). I may well be deluding myself :o , but I find everyone v pleasant and helpful, and I make the most of the wonderful scenery and laid-back lifestyle.

I think Best Resources ...

At Imperial Club retirement community, we understand that our needs change as we mature. This is why we cater our assisted living programs to each of our individual resident's needs. We provide the right amount of personal care to allow for a healthy, independent, active lifestyle―all in a wonderfully caring environment.

:o

smile, don't look grumpy, be over polite, but be aware, don't jump at the first thing, look around, just be 'aware' if you dont want something smile and say no thanks, don't be rude, don't go with a bg, don't give a sin sot, don't give gold

i only by pressies for the wife when its her birthday or a special holiday, she explains all the bills, shows me all the home bills (i live in HER house), give her amount of dosh for the food bills, she doesn't work and yes she is from a hair salon, so not a hi-so girl and yes we live in isaan, laid back and 1/4 price of BKK

do not live life in a bar, beleive it or thai ladies like european ladies do like a bit of love and affection!!!! if you show the girl you are not a mug then she won't treat you like one and learn the lingo, i am trying, but god its hard work, specially when you are tone deaf

Finally, someone with the same issue I have; Tinninitis and wear 2 hearing aids. It is very difficult to hear consonants and tones. I have been here 2.5 yrs and still don't know enough Thai to get by. We need a support group. I live south of Bkk and there are no schools to teach pa sa Thai. Youre right about the rest too. Use the same common sense here that one would use if living in home country.

smile, don't look grumpy, be over polite, but be aware, don't jump at the first thing, look around, just be 'aware' if you dont want something smile and say no thanks, don't be rude, don't go with a bg, don't give a sin sot, don't give gold

i only by pressies for the wife when its her birthday or a special holiday, she explains all the bills, shows me all the home bills (i live in HER house), give her amount of dosh for the food bills, she doesn't work and yes she is from a hair salon, so not a hi-so girl and yes we live in isaan, laid back and 1/4 price of BKK

do not live life in a bar, beleive it or thai ladies like european ladies do like a bit of love and affection!!!! if you show the girl you are not a mug then she won't treat you like one and learn the lingo, i am trying, but god its hard work, specially when you are tone deaf

Finally, someone with the same issue I have; Tinninitis and wear 2 hearing aids. It is very difficult to hear consonants and tones. I have been here 2.5 yrs and still don't know enough Thai to get by. We need a support group. I live south of Bkk and there are no schools to teach pa sa Thai. Youre right about the rest too. Use the same common sense here that one would use if living in home country.

Absolutely, you have to use "the same common sense here that one would use if living in home country." Bear in mind a response on a similar thread - "You have to decide whether she is a scammer or ... genuinely concerned about being left high and dry when her looks have gone." (And, believe it or not, he was trying to be supportive!) :D

Something most relationships in the home country worry about all the time. :o

I'm sorry to hear you're wearing 2 hearing aids, but it tends to imply that you're probably quite old, and if you've only been here 2 years, it worsens the impression. If that impression is wrong, I think you need to correct it.

Absolutely, you have to use "the same common sense here that one would use if living in home country." Bear in mind a response on a similar thread - "You have to decide whether she is a scammer or ... genuinely concerned about being left high and dry when her looks have gone." (And, believe it or not, he was trying to be supportive!) :D

I'm sorry to hear you're wearing 2 hearing aids, but it tends to imply that you're probably quite old, and if you've only been here 2 years, it worsens the impression. If that impression is wrong, I think you need to correct it.

I guess youre not familiar with tinninitis. Its permanent damage done from noise polution. In quiet locations I can hear quite well. Surrounding noises meld together making it difficult to focus on one sound, such as someone speaking. Not sure what impression youre implying, but Im quite happy here. My only frustration is my speed in learning Thai even with hearing aids.

I guess youre not familiar with tinninitis. Its permanent damage done from noise polution. In quiet locations I can hear quite well. Surrounding noises meld together making it difficult to focus on one sound, such as someone speaking. Not sure what impression youre implying, but Im quite happy here. My only frustration is my speed in learning Thai even with hearing aids.

I'm v familiar with tinnitus and the causes. I notice though that you haven't denied the points I've raised.

Haven't been here as long as some of the other respondents but for what it's worth, I've found it fairly easy to be happy here. Got here a year ago from London with warnings from friends (including a lovely Notting Hill-based Thai girl that I've known for 5 years) that Thais were racist by default still ringing in my ears. Turns out that this was not really the case.

I'm of Afro-Caribbean descent and apart from a few looks that I'd describe as denoting caution rather than contempt, my time here has been brilliant. Occasionally, women hold their handbags a little more tightly :o when I'm walking the opposite way to them on the street but I can't get arsey about that considering I'd get far worse walking down the street in, say, somewhere like Harrogate.

All the Thais on my soi in Bangkok treat me really well - I was even given a hand-knitted scarf before I went back to London for 3 weeks at Christmas :D cos they knew it was going to be cold when I got off the plane.

I guess one just has to remember whose country it is, give 'em a smile, don't give it the big 'un just cos you've got a few inches of dosh like a lot of the more embarrassing farangs at the clubs and bars do.

A little humility and respect seems to go an awfully long way here and although it may not be apparent on your first or even second visit to a bar, club, shop or whatever, I've found that they do remember it and will reciprocate.

1. Don't have long Relationships with working/bar girls. 95% of the time it works out badly and the break up will be a horror in your life.

2. Date a girl thats not in the bar business your life will be 10000 times happier. Educated and has her own money is important otherwise after a while you won't enjoy life with her much.

These are very good advices but not necessarily true for the education and money part, although, it does help to a certain extent. A friend of mine came here basically penniless. He got married to his Thai wife and they both started up a small business together. She wasn't that well educated and certainly not well off but through thick and thin she stayed with him. I think one of the keys is staying away from bar girls. They are not all bad but you're likely to run into the bad ones much more often than in other professions.

I have been robbed in the US and have been robbed in Thailand. I am happy in the US and in Thailand it is all a matter of how you look and feel about life. Another country other than your birth country will be a challenge at times but go with the flow and keep your head above water and things always have a way of working out.

There are many causes of tinnitus (or believed causes for that matter) The truth is, we do not even know the specific cause.... For example, initially it was believed to be due to cochlear damage, either through the ageing process, noise exposure, or ototoxic chemicals/drugs. BUT the problem with this theory is that those with cochlear dammage & tinnitus, that have had the nerve leading from the cochlea to the brain surgically severed, still have tinnitus. So the popular belief now is that the damaged cochlea, through the properties of brain plasticity, causes a change within the brain, thus causeing tinnitus. So the tinnitus is actually contained within the brain, rather than the inner ear/cochlea.

I'm an expat in Germany. I was an expat in Thailand, was married and widowed there - the reason I left.

Apart from that I have never had bad times in Thailand and have returned every year for the last 28 years.

I'll keep doing so until I find another place where I can chill out for less money.

It seems there are two kinds of people (expat) in Thailand : people who get fined, overcharged for everything and people who enjoy a normal life.

What kinds of advise you (the lucky ones) can give to the less fortunate guys, that people will stop taking advantage of them ? And, more generally speaking, how to enjoy life in Thaliand.

1- Learn the lingo

2 - Get a Thai ID card for guaranteed local rates every time. A Thai driving licence sometimes works

3 - If you don't do 1 or 2 above, you have to grin and bear it

Edited by dbrenn

pretend u havent spent the last 8 years studying thai and that offensive remarks/comments/insisnuations dont bother you(cos u really 'did' misunderstand the remarks/comments/insisnuations).

dont leave ur wallet unattended.

dont expect to get any compensation or sympathy for assault/robbery/drugging.

forget about assimilation or a half decent conversation.

dont sell drugs....

and finally, if u wanna be truly happy, spend 5+ nights a week moaning about how shit it is on here.

personally. happiness is over-rated.

a nice bit of gloom makes the world go round.

Edited by LivinginKata
Inflammatory remarks removed

Some inflammatory posts & answers have been removed. Keep it civil gentlemen.... :D

I never thought these kind of comments and moderation will be needed on a thread tittled "How to be happy in Thailand"

It really says a lot about the people posting here :D

Anyway, still a couple of good advises make it worse reading :)

1- Learn the lingo

2 - Get a Thai ID card for guaranteed local rates every time. A Thai driving licence sometimes works

3 - If you don't do 1 or 2 above, you have to grin and bear it

I didn't know it was possible to get an ID card as a foreigner?

Well I have lived in Thailand 10years now. About half the time in Bangkok. For the first few years I really enjoyed my life. Then I found myself going out all the time spending tons of money. Feeling badly about money I've spent on nothing. (Had enough money to live fine) Dating the wrong women. It started taking a toll. I started to hate life here. Finally I found a perfect women. (not a bar girl or working girl) She owned 2 big internet and gaming cafes in Nontaburi. I actually met her while I was at her cafe. We lived together for a while in Bangkok, life was good and we opened another cafe together then we both started hating life in Bangkok. It got back to the same old ways. She was from Rayong and so we both decided to move to Rayong and that made the biggest difference of my life in Thailand. I have been so much more happy since I left Bangkok. I've stopped spending money stupidly (drinking etc) I built a house and this totally changed my life. I have been happily married for 4 years and we have sold all our businesses in Bangkok and reopened them in Rayong. This was the restart I needed otherwise I probably would of left this country a long time ago. Things I would recommend that will make your life happier from experience here is:

1. Don't have long Relationships with working/bar girls. 95% of the time it works out badly and the break up will be a horror in your life.

2. Date a girl thats not in the bar business your life will be 10000 times happier. Educated and has her own money is important otherwise after a while you won't enjoy life with her much.

3. If you can learn Thai, you life will totally change here.

4. Live in Bangkok a short time, I found as soon as I left Bangkok it made my life was 1000000% better and I wished I did it sooner. I know some people have to work there but there is work outside of Bangkok too.

5. If you can travel back to your country once a year do it, I'm always happier when I come back to Thailand.

6. Treat Thais with respect even if they don't respect you. If you smile and are friendly they usually will be the same back to you. Some things you just have to put up with when it comes to Thai people and if you can put up with it you will have a happier life here. If you let it bother you, you will have a stressed life and start to hate it here.

7. Get a car. You will be shocked at how different life will be.

8. For me, I stopped going to bars, I use to enjoy it but since I stopped going I have been much more happy.

9. As far as getting over charged, I still do. I get my wife to buy things sometimes I don't even show my face. Alot of times price goes up when they see me. So get a good thai women the over charging will stop.

10. Learn the culture and local ways. You will understand Thais and be much happier.

11. If you live in Bangkok try and get out of the city as much as you can, it will help.

I have to say I'm a really happy Expat in Thailand but wasen't always like that. Took sometime (years!) to learn what to do and not to do here. Hope this helps a bit. Cheers

sounds all goodie too shoes.

but i thiunk all the opposites occur. :):D:D

95% choose girl from bar to get involved with.

most cannot learn thai(me included)

fix top 2 many more would be happier. though i think one can be happy wo speaking thai.

Some inflammatory posts & answers have been removed. Keep it civil gentlemen.... :D

I never thought these kind of comments and moderation will be needed on a thread tittled "How to be happy in Thailand"

It really says a lot about the people posting here :D

Anyway, still a couple of good advises make it worse reading :)

Yes. some very good posts. I've reported one post to a mod.

i'm no fan of the mods but they do have a difficult job. make their job easier if people thought a little before they posted.

Ultimately, finding a good woman who respects herself as much as she does you goes a long way to achieving happiness. I agree with the comments about 95% of bar girls though, and taking one on is just asking for trouble. As with anything in life, there are exceptions of course, though from my observation, very rare.

Well I have lived in Thailand 10years now. About half the time in Bangkok. For the first few years I really enjoyed my life. Then I found myself going out all the time spending tons of money. Feeling badly about money I've spent on nothing. (Had enough money to live fine) Dating the wrong women. It started taking a toll. I started to hate life here. Finally I found a perfect women. (not a bar girl or working girl) She owned 2 big internet and gaming cafes in Nontaburi. I actually met her while I was at her cafe. We lived together for a while in Bangkok, life was good and we opened another cafe together then we both started hating life in Bangkok. It got back to the same old ways. She was from Rayong and so we both decided to move to Rayong and that made the biggest difference of my life in Thailand. I have been so much more happy since I left Bangkok. I've stopped spending money stupidly (drinking etc) I built a house and this totally changed my life. I have been happily married for 4 years and we have sold all our businesses in Bangkok and reopened them in Rayong. This was the restart I needed otherwise I probably would of left this country a long time ago. Things I would recommend that will make your life happier from experience here is:

3. If you can learn Thai, you life will totally change here.

4. Live in Bangkok a short time, I found as soon as I left Bangkok it made my life was 1000000% better and I wished I did it sooner. I know some people have to work there but there is work outside of Bangkok too.

5. If you can travel back to your country once a year do it, I'm always happier when I come back to Thailand.

6. Treat Thais with respect even if they don't respect you. If you smile and are friendly they usually will be the same back to you. Some things you just have to put up with when it comes to Thai people and if you can put up with it you will have a happier life here. If you let it bother you, you will have a stressed life and start to hate it here.

7. Get a car. You will be shocked at how different life will be.

8. For me, I stopped going to bars, I use to enjoy it but since I stopped going I have been much more happy.

9. As far as getting over charged, I still do. I get my wife to buy things sometimes I don't even show my face. Alot of times price goes up when they see me. So get a good thai women the over charging will stop.

10. Learn the culture and local ways. You will understand Thais and be much happier.

11. If you live in Bangkok try and get out of the city as much as you can, it will help.

I have to say I'm a really happy Expat in Thailand but wasen't always like that. Took sometime (years!) to learn what to do and not to do here. Hope this helps a bit. Cheers

sounds all goodie too shoes.

but i thiunk all the opposites occur. :):D:D

95% choose girl from bar to get involved with.

most cannot learn thai(me included)

fix top 2 many more would be happier. though i think one can be happy wo speaking thai.

This is just my experience. What I wrote is what has worked for me might not work for others. As I said now I'm happy as can be here in Thailand. I should re-write #2 on the list where I talked about educated and money, what I should of said is someone who can take care of them self and has some sort of business smarts, not lazy. Money and educated not to to important but will forsure be an added bonus.

• 4 months later...

This is an interesting post. I have read through and realised that a lot of happiness here is derived from pleasing relationships with Thai women. It is also conversely true that bad relationships equal bad times.

I would like to add my note as a male expat with an expat fiancee who has been settled here for nearly 2 years.

We have found that Thailand can be irritating, but we only have to remind ourselves of what our lot would be back in England (BTW I love my country and will return once we stop beating up innocents in Afghanistan). There is a real need for perspective on a daily level here. I actually live a VERY decent life and 95% of the Thais I meet are just lovely people trying to survive as well. There are the dicks who drive taxis without a meter or tuktuks, but you don't HAVE to use them.

Learning the language is difficult, but again, with nice locals around is a lot of fun and quite embarrassing, thank all the gods that they are forgiving and understanding.

We live in Bangplad and we TRULY believe that the fresh, unjaded, outlook of our local community has helped us endlessly. We both know that we would have upped sticks from BKK a long time back if it wasn't for our local friends. We know our place and they know theirs, that helps us live in a nice symbiosis and everybody can just get on with their lives.

Just remember that YOU are the visitor/guest in THEIR country. Act in this way, ignore the dickheads (EVERY country has them) and enjoy. Think carefully how many dickheads you meet a day here and then think of the 1000's of normal Thais that couldn't care a dam_n that you are different and do nothing to hurt or harm you.

KEEP PERSPECTIVE and have fun.

I believe the answer to the questions on this thread is very easy. If you want to help ensure you have the best possible chance for happiness here and don't get ripped off/taken advantage of in the process then just take the time to learn the Thai language and try to understand as much as possible about the culture/customs here. Learning Thai is not as difficult as many people probably think it is, in fact I found it fairly easy (as do most people I know who have or are trying to learn). Being able to speak the native language in any country will make your life much easier in every way imaginable, and it will certainly help you to avoid getting taken advantage of. Your happiness will increase as a result, plus the sense of self gratitude and accomplishment that comes with learning a new language.

I don't think farangs who choose to live their life here and expect the natives of the country to adapt to THEIR language and customs can ever truly appreciate or understand the potential of Thailand or the happiness it can bring.

There are two kind of people ( expats) also, those who have the wrong attitude, I would compared them to the man who cant marry the woman they wants ,so they marry a different woman and try to change her to the woman they wants.

and there those who except the few faults as part of the bargain, resign them selves to therm, and live a happy life.

My friend Happiness is a mater of perspective.

Obnoxious,loud,arrogant,ignorant of other cultures,women haters,alchoholics,bitter,intolerant,impatient,these are just some of the traits NOT to have if you want to be happy here.

It seems to me that people who aren't happy here have some of the above.

PST.

IF

1- you are retired and have an sufficient index guaranteed income from abroad

2- you work on a contract for an big international company

3- you have an stabel relationship

4- you apply to all immigration rules

5- you live in a big town that have all the ammenities you need.

6- don't spend your life in bars and sh++holes like Pattaya, or in tourist areas

7- living in a neighbourhood were middle class Thai living, be it a compound or an appartment building;

8- spend a normal life like you did back home.

Then you can have an very relaxed life in Thailand with just that litle (?)extra bit of comfort and luxury that would cost you an arm and a leg back home.

As long you have money you can enjoy all the extra service that don't exist anymore back home, if it ever excisted.

In wich country a parking guy of a supermarket wait for you with an umbrella when its raining, and take the groceries to your car.

In short Thailand is the perfect country if you have anough money to spend, you can enjoy all the goodies and comfort in life, just like it is in any country worldwide. Its only a lot cheaper in Thailand. I'm not ashame to tell that I can afford a lifestyle overhere that would just be impossible back home.

The service you get in Thailand is second to none, with maybe an acception for Japan or Korea.

But if,

1- you don't have an sufficient income from abroad

2- you don't work on a contract for a big international company

3- you have to go from one crummy teachers job to another.

4- A constant struggle to meet the immigration rules

5- spend your life in beerbars and nightlife

6-if you have some bussiness that can hardly support you

7- if you are foolish enough to fall in love (addicted) to an golddigger.

8- you are suffering of an arrogant superiority complex who think that a country and his people must bent their rules for. You are so almity and benevolent to spend your money to support the ho so dirt poor family of your partner and therefore they must treat you like God's gift to earth. And most of the time you act accordingly withtout any shame

9- burry yourself in Nakhon Nowhere and the inlaws breading on your neck all day and take over your household, and you have to support the family and they see you as the money tree.

10-staying in some tourist area, where scamming and cheating foreigners is a second nature, and hang out in beerbars with expats who suffering from a von Munchauen complex.

Than you should should check your balance considering, if its not better to go some west coast African country like Senegal to spend your life. The woman folks there are even more willing and cheaper than in pattaya and Isan, for a fraction of the price in Thailand, and they are used to the colonial attitude that you suffer from.

Howmany of the whiners and complainers visit Thailand before they moved here. Or are they all penis followers who after a short holliday decided that Thailand is the country for them, without even have the slightest idea about rules regulations and culture.

For myself I visited this country for more than 30 years, the last few years for 2 or 3 months, and still we planned and talked 5 years before we decided to move up.

My wife and I are 35 years married and she lived in my home country before I see her. and we made some agreements before we moved

1- at home we will have an European lifestyle

2- it will be decorated and furnished European style

3- we moved to an 2 bedroom/bathroom appartment European style,

4- the second bedroom is my office with only a small bed with an uncomfortable matras LOL

5- everybody is welcome, but we like to know beforehand when they come and when they go home.

6- I eat European food at home.

7- I never give negative comments about Thai political and social issues outside my home, even not with family.

And to the OP

yes I'm verry happy in Thailand, thank you.

And when people take advantage of you is because you allow them to do so. You can find 1000 excuses but this is pure weakness and self pitty.

I never have been scammed or cheated YET by anyone in Thailand, and never experienced double pricing. I just stay away from places where I know beforehand they will cheat me.

My experiences with Thai companies like Index, True, postal service, kasikorn teach me that they are correct , punctuel, and very service minded.

My experiences with small bussiness are the same, even with a car tent, punctuel, honnest and again a very service minded attitude.

Maybe its because I mostly go to Sino/Thai owned bussiness because my General is Sino/Thai also.

My landlady even completely rebuild my appartment the way we suggested, meaning new Kitchen , new floors, new bathroom, constructing new walls, New tiled walls in kitchen and bahtrooms ( we could choose the tiles and floors), on the balcony new nice decorated fantasy tiles, new laundry machine(electrolux) and refrigirator, who we could choose by ourself and 3 new airco. She even said that we could change some articles in the rental contract if we not agreed on some.

And this for a rental price including water,24/7 security, garbage collecting, free use of 2 tenniscourts and swimming pool on the 3th floor + maintenance fees for 13495 Baht, in a suburb of Bangkok in a very nice lane with trees.

post-56342-1252344692_thumb.jpg

post-56342-1252344875_thumb.jpg

post-56342-1252345187_thumb.jpg

So regarding all of this we feel very happy in Thailand and don't understand the whiners and complainers.

I can only conclude that its due to private problems that their view about Thailand is clouded.

PS, a last question, just for my curiousity,

Why most expats walk arround in shorts, singlets and flipflops, I don't see the majority of Thai doing like that. At least not where I live. Did you never notice that most of Thai wear socks, shoes and long pants when they go shopping or visiting a restaurant.