Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

The reason II have added this link to the pinned thread is that it contains a great deal of information regarding Bangkok Bank

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/310980-bangkok-bank/

We are lucky that IMO we have an excellent poster

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/user/89038-ianguygil/

ianguygil

Who is actually seriously helping us out from an industry (retaill banking) perspective.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

hey guys, went to open up an account today, however in kriskorn bank they don't have atm cad, they only have debit card, and they want 350 baht for the basic card, and 200 baht? every year for the card, I asked they don't have atm card? they said no, only debit card. that sucked so I have to go to bank and manually withdraw money now. so which banks won't charge you for getting an atm card? and will only allow a passport and hotel address? thanks

also in the passbook it got my signature, so I guess everytime I want to go withdrawl money I have to bring the passbook?

they said they guarantee 1 million baht in the bank. I guess it's similar to FDIC? not really sure but I asked the girl that in the states there is the FDIC. and if they got something similar and she said ya up to 1 million. I wonder how reliable it is.

and in savings accont you have to keep min of 2000 baht at anytime, if under it they charge 50 baht every month until it's depleted. that's what the lady told me

opening up an account they needed a mobile phone to set up online banking...I didn't have one so I used a thai girls cell phone...I wonder if that's ok, they aid I can pick either passcode or use cell phone to send sms for online banking....so the cell phone wont' matter then

also in the passbook it got my signature, so I guess everytime I want to go withdrawl money I have to bring the passbook?

they said they guarantee 1 million baht in the bank. I guess it's similar to FDIC? not really sure but I asked the girl that in the states there is the FDIC. and if they got something similar and she said ya up to 1 million. I wonder how reliable it is.

Following info from the BKK Post -a full guarantee is in place at the moment.

FINANCIAL CRISIS - Wednesday October 29, 2008

The cabinet yesterday approved the extension of the 100% state guarantee on bank deposits until Aug 10, 2011. The Deposit Insurance Act passed in August guaranteed bank deposits for one year, with progressive reductions over the next three years.

Coverage would have fallen to 100 million baht per customer per bank from August 2009 and to 50 million from August 2010. By 2012, deposit coverage would be limited to one million baht per client per institution.

so is it pretty similar to FDIC? where they will just pay you 1 million baht if bank fail, got robbed or any other reason....I am thinking maybe in Thailand it's limited to certain things? most of the time they won''t really cover it?

For anyone interested, I walked into Kasikorn Bank on Sukhumvit Soi 33 today and opened an account in 10 minutes with just my passport and visitor visa.

did you get a ATM card? is it free? some other guys they said they got free atm cards, but for my kasikorn bank they wanted 600 or 350 baht for the debit card....they said they don't have free atm card...only debit card

For anyone interested, I walked into Kasikorn Bank on Sukhumvit Soi 33 today and opened an account in 10 minutes with just my passport and visitor visa.

did you get a ATM card? is it free? some other guys they said they got free atm cards, but for my kasikorn bank they wanted 600 or 350 baht for the debit card....they said they don't have free atm card...only debit card

In August I done the same on Soi 33. Passport with 30 day stamp, address of a mate in Bangkok and my mobile number. It cost about 600 baht. Got online banking and K-Max Debit Card which is also an atm card. In and out in about 15 mins. And I have found the online banking absolutly fine. Can even top up your phone from it.

so is it pretty similar to FDIC? where they will just pay you 1 million baht if bank fail, got robbed or any other reason....I am thinking maybe in Thailand it's limited to certain things? most of the time they won''t really cover it?

Only for Resident accounts, doesn't apply to non-residents!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just thought I'd add my experience to this thread.

I'm here on an non-immigrant ED visa, studying a Thai language course.

My attempts went in this order:

1. Kasikorn on Phahonyothin (near Ari - possibly the head office) --- "not without a work permit"

2. SCB on Phahonyothin (near Ari again) --- "no foreigners"

3. Kasikorn in Paragon --- "not without a WP"

4. SCB in Paragon --- "not without a WP"

5. another in Paragon, forgot which one (sorry!) --- "no foreigners"

6. Bangkok Bank in Paragon --- "yes, with various documents from your school proving you study there, and photocopies of your passport pages".

I got these documents from my school, but in the end didn't get around to returning to the branch for a couple of weeks.

As a matter of entertainment, I decided to go to the same Kasikorn in Paragon that turned me down the first time...

... What do you know? They were more than happy to open a savings account for me - didn't even ask for my school documents - just looked at my passport.

I was out of there in 15minutes with a shiny new debit card (with a custom image loaded from my phone printed on it there and there!) and a Kasikorn savings account.

Moral of the story: just keep trying till you speak to someone who likes farangs, it's random.

This morning I went to a Bangkok Bank branch that I use regularly. I have a savings account and a fixed deposit account with them. I wanted to open an additional savings account. Despite them knowing me and being shown both accounts and my passport, they refused to open a new account without being presented my work permit (which I did not have on me). Just this morning I had withdrawn over 132k Baht, paid bills over their counter, etc.

I just find it somehwat ridiculous when I already have two accounts with them, have been banking with them for years (over 20), my salary is paid through them, etc. The staff see me nearly every day and still they want to see my Work Permit.

PS For this particular branch, even when getting a new passbook when the old one is full requires presenting a Work Permit. What will happen to all those who obtained bank accounts without needing a work permit, if later policy changes and they need to see a wp before issuing a new passbook? All you can do I suppose is withdraw all your money (technically they would have to close your account due to lacking wp) and go bank account hunting once again.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to open an ATM account with just a toursit visa? I have heard this being done in the past, Any help to know where I can?

It is possible to open an account with a Tourist Visa. However you will be required to provide a second form of Identification. Not sure if all Banks have what documents are acceptable listed on their Website but Bangkok Bank certainly does under the section Foreign Customers.

You will be required to open say a account as the ATM card is just one of the means in withdrawing the funds.

Is it possible to open an ATM account with just a toursit visa? I have heard this being done in the past, Any help to know where I can?

Kasikorn are teh best bank to try.

My mate opened a savings account with ATM at the Royal Garden Plaza branch in Pattaya with only a 30 day entry stamp, copy of passport required and an address but you can use the hotel address, just don't tell them it's a hotel.

My mate opened a savings account with ATM at the Royal Garden Plaza branch in Pattaya with only a 30 day entry stamp, copy of passport required and an address but you can use the hotel address, just don't tell them it's a hotel.

Can be done, but remember that your account related mail will also be sent to that address. You really want that stuff lying around a hotel mail box for someone to subvert for their own purpose? The same hotel probably already has your credit card number and signature on file. Don't be complaining when you find that someone has created an alternative to your ATM card and cleaned out the account. Short sighted and at your own risk.

BANK OF AYDUHYA AT FORTUNE TOWER AT RAMA 9 SUBWAY STATION

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com....26th floor at fortune tower

if you have need of any legal or accounting services or intend to invest in a business here

an agent will take u to the bank branch in the same bldg and the bank will open an account for you and issue an atm card

only passport and small deposit required

GOOD LUCK!!

Can be done, but remember that your account related mail will also be sent to that address. You really want that stuff lying around a hotel mail box for someone to subvert for their own purpose? The same hotel probably already has your credit card number and signature on file. Don't be complaining when you find that someone has created an alternative to your ATM card and cleaned out the account. Short sighted and at your own risk.

I've never had a letter from a Thai bank in 15 years of living here. I doubt they're going to start sending them anytime this century.

I've never had a letter from a Thai bank in 15 years of living here. I doubt they're going to start sending them anytime this century.

I've had one in about 28 years so you should be about due for your first one very soon. :D Actually, the letter was to inform me that they were closing an account I had not used in many years and there were no longer any funds to pay for its upkeep.

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if GungaDin's discovery still is valid up to today's date.

KASIKORN BANK located on Soi 33 Sukhumvit

corner Sukhumvit Soi 33 & Sukhumvit Road

near Phron Phong BTS Skytrain

Can one still open up an individual bank account with internet access with a valid/current USA Passport with a 30 day Visa Exemption?

If not, what documents are necessary? Or can you only open up an individual bank account with a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa?

Just wanted to keep this thread current, since I'll be in Bangkok in 2 weeks for 3 weeks on a 30 day Visa Exemption. I would sure love to open up a bank account for future visits to BKK.

Thanks to anyone who replies.:wai:

Kasikorn Bank Big C 2nd Road Pattaya Up to you what you deposit first time minus 200baht fee for bank card. 30 day tourist visa and passport. DONE! Went to purple bank next door first said I needed 3 month visa walked out of there into Kasikorn no problem. Very helpful staff as well. This was 3 months ago and included sign up for Internet Banking.

:whistling:

I know this topic has just about been done to death...but anyhow I'll add my experience today to the pile.

I tried this morning (16 November 2010) to open a savings account in my name in a local branch of Bangkok Bank near where I am living. No go. The clerk did not want to listen to what I had to say about opening an account in my name as required for the retirement extension (or retirement visa if you which to call it that). My cashier's check for the 800,000 Baht was not wanted. She kept insistng that I had to have either a work permit or proof from the embessy of that 65,000 Baht income monthly certified by the U.S. embessy. My Thai partner was with me, and she tried to explain to the female bank clerk what we wanted, but the response was the same...no can do....must have work permit or proof of income from the U.S. embessy. The fact that I had more than 800,000 baht in my hand ready to deposit in an account was of no value.

Now I have had a joint account with my Thai partner in a Bangkok Bank branch on Sukhumvit Road for nearly 30 years. So, on a hunch I decided to make the drive across Bangkok, a good 30 minute drive at the best, to that branch of the Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit where we have our joint account. When I got there it was like I had walked into a different universe.

The clerk at that Sukhumvit road branch looked at my passport, my non-immigrant O visa, looked at our joint account bank book and sad oh yes, can do to my request to open an savings account in my name. She pulled out the forms, showed me where to sign, and filled out everything on the forms herself. She had my Thai partner sign a form as the sponsor for me, asked for her address and a telephone number to contact me. I all went into the computer, and she then printed out the forms for me to sign. She offered me an ATM card...and it was all done. The savings account in my name was now opened.

Then I was sent to the foriegn remitances section where I filled out a few forms and my cashier's check in U.S. dollars was accepted for and entered into my new account for collection. The only downside was I will have to wait about a month until the actual funds are in the bank...and it cost me 300 baht as a "service charge" for the whole procedure.

So, bottom line, if you are trying to open a bank account n Thailand...don't give up because you are turned down on your first or even second try. The local branch of your bank, the one closet to where you live, may refuse you...but another branch of the very same bank may welcome you with open arms.

Just to be clear I opened an account in my name with only a passport, my non-immigrant type O visa, and a bankbook showing a joint bank account in the names of my Thai girlfriend/partner and myself.(with a balance less than 60,000 baht...but a record of 30 years of funds transfers from the U.S. to Thailand, I admit).

So it can be done.

:lol:

Interesting. I first opened an account at Siam Commercial, no problems. Then I went to open one at Bangkok Bank, they wanted a work permit. I showed them my O-A visa and it says right on it employment prohibited. It was a single entry visa and the manager said it was a three month visa. I explained to her to look at my entry stamp and I was permitted to stay for one year, she finally said okay. I needed another Bangkok Bank account a few years later because Bank Of America froze internet transfers to my original Bangkok Bank account. I went to a different branch and they wanted a work permit again and showed them my O-A visa again and my other bank accounts and then they had a huddle to discuss it and said okay. So, I have never been turned down, just had to be a bit insistent... So, now I have 3 accounts in my name and three ATM cards as well as online banking. Bangkok Bank's online banking is great! Very easy to use from anywhere. Plus they have a branch in New York City and I can transfer funds from B of A to them online and it ends up in my account here a few days later. It used to be no charge, but there are charges now, but less than using a US ATM card here and I get a higher exchange rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Can one still open up an individual bank account with internet access with a valid/current USA Passport with a 30 day Visa Exemption?

If not, what documents are necessary? Or can you only open up an individual bank account with a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa?

Just wanted to keep this thread current, since I'll be in Bangkok in 2 weeks for 3 weeks on a 30 day Visa Exemption. I would sure love to open up a bank account for future visits to BKK.

Anyone? think2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I´m happy I found this thred...I will be coming in a few weeks and are in need of a bank account and I just asumed it was as easy

as it use to be a couple of years before to open an account...

After reading this thred it seams in generally Kasikorn is the best option!?

I will stay a short time in bkk but will go and stay in Korat..U think that I should try to open an account in bkk

or will it be easier in Korat? Do I need to provide a adress in the same city as I open the account in or can I for

ex provide a pattaya adress when visiting a branch of any bank in bkk?

I will only have single entry tourist visa ( 60 days )...No WP or anything like that...Have no condo or house,

no thai drivers licence or anything like that...Can not bring any proof of income because have no income

on paper...

Any advice will be greatly appriciated :)

Hope you can understand my poor english...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to read and respond to my inquiry as to whether GungaDin's discovery was still good.

NOT! :wacko:

Anyway, I've just returned to the USA from a 3 week trip to Bangkok.

The good news? I managed to open an individual savings account (with internet access) at the above referenced Kasikorn Bank branch. So, this is indeed a good bank branch to go for any farang who wants to open an individual bank account in Thailand (Bangkok.) :D

It wasn't as simple as GungaDin made the process out to be, though.

Initially, I was rejected with the all too familiar ... "YOU NEED WORK PERMIT." :ermm:

I politely asked the intake bank officer if I could speak to the branch manager. She rang him up, and I had a very nice conversation with him. I explained to him that I needed to open an indidual saving account to park THB 400,000 to satisify the financial requirement for the Thai Marriage extension. After several minutes of persuasion, the branch manager asked that I hand the phone back to the female bank officer. After they spoke a few words, she said that they would allow me to open an individual savings account! BINGO! :partytime2:

I then filled out all the paperwork and used my hotel's address as the one for their records. Got my ATM card. I was good to go. Getting internet access is invaluable. Also, it should be noted that I only had a 30 day Visa Exemption stamped in my USA Passport! :clap2:

So, in conclusion, GungaDin's discovery still is good!

I hit paydirt, and so any farangs looking to open an individual savings bank account in Thailand (Bangkok) - try the above referenced Kasikorn Bank location!

:intheclub:

• 3 weeks later...

I opened an account at Kasikorn on Soi 33 without any problems on a 30 day stamp.

When your passbook is full do they automatically send a new one to the address you gave opening the account or do you get a new one at the branch?

Just wondering as I gave the address of a friend and he is no longer in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

some questions!

i have bank acount on siam comercial since last year,when i try to send online money ,after login on scbeasy.com

then this currencly not posible,also my status of kreditcard is not activated yet,i only see my acount itself what i have to do to avtivate this?

2 more question,that many give me diffrent aswers in thailand dont know what is true now..

in case i would lost my creditcard,some bank told me,i can only get a new one,on that bank i openend the acount,and not on another bank,of the same bank chain is this true,or does it handle every banck diffrent

also i heard a rumour,that on some banks,in thailand,´when there will be no transauktion recorded during 6 month time period ,your acount will be deleted,i cannot imagine that this true!

last questions,how much % currencly i got for saving money in thailand,on the bank acount,i read that the rate are a little bit higher,then in europe,here it is only currencly 0.75%-1,7% depents on the bank!

thanks for informaton!

At Kasikorn you can open a fix deposit for let's say 24 months and you will become 2.25% interest rate (deduct 15% Goverment Tag) = 1.91% after TAX

Check their homepage, you can find out everything about the deposit rates...

There are others, will tell you have maybe better interest rates.. check out i read some they give you 4%. But in the first 3 years you become 1% and only in the 4th year... you will become your 4%... So at the end you will become less....

Archived