Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

HAHAHAH I love it~!

Listen man your experience is JUST LIKE MINE!

***I GOT 3 BANK ACCOUNTS IN 4 DAYS WITH NO WORK PERMIT****

Im Italian with a Business , B Visa!

Listen up, this is how I did it.

Why would you need 3 bank accounts? :)

Don't do anything naughty or you will fuqitup for any new farangs wanting an a/c with Kasikorn or any other Thai bank.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed to open a Foreign Currency account at Bangkok Bank, however they won't give me access to internet banking, which I need.

Also, from what I've read here of others' experiences, it takes a bit of work to transfer money out, e.g. you need to go to the branch and specify the accounts to which you will transfer money, and I think you need to specify the reason. One post stated that it's as if Bangkok Bank treats it as their own money instead of yours. So it seems that using Bangkok Bank is a lot of hassle.

So could you guys please tell me which other Thai banks allow you to transfer money to bank accounts in another country via internet banking?

• 2 weeks later...
Full service banking with Kasikorn Bank! When I went to open a passbook savings account in a Bangkok branch, all that was required was a passport. an address, and of course, some Baht. I signed up for the internet access and atm card also.

Just to let you know how much they care for their customers. They were giving away condoms in a nice green wrapper too.

I opened an account at Khon Kaen branch today, only got a small bottle of water!! :)

Bangkok Bank

Member's experiences

I would think long and hard before putting one cent with BB. :)

It was an interesting link and much as always on TV needs digesting - What on earth made you come to the conclusion that Bangkok Bank is not worth putting one cent into.

I agree at this moment in time, and until I update my Bangkok Bank Bualuang iBanking account I cannot even pay my condominium bills (I am sort of getting there - just look through this thread) but it is because the system is secure - too bloody secure - it has/is taken me an eternity to sort out my legitimate needs.

I know your options on bank accounts GungaDin but I engaged before this pinned thread. Would you care to guess why this thread is pinned?

You are a PITA.

Let's leave it at that.

Wow

http://www.pita.org.fj/

"The Pacific Islands Telecommunications Association (PITA) is a non-profit organisation formed to represent the interests of small island nations in the Pacific Region in the field of telecommunications. "

I had no idea your acumen is so extensive in the field of commerce - will bow to your decisions in future - PKRV.

In the mean time back to Thai Banking. Has anything actually shut down during these troubles?

edit sorry forgot the quotes to say what the web site actually said.

• 2 weeks later...

Something very interesting has just cropped up. It looks like the guys in the US can very cheaply send money to Thailand via the US's local correspondent NY Bangkok Branch.

Given I am UK based my knowledge of this is almost non existent.

This seems to be done using an RTN - but this is totally US centric.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routing_transit_number

It also goes some way to explaining why the local UK Bangkok branch at

61 St. Mary Axe

London EC3A 8BY

020 7929 4422

Keeps coming up as an option - it is not - From a UK perspective it is not usable to us for retail services.

Thread is here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bangkok-Bank...nt-t371846.html

Actually we have the same type of service in the United Kingdon. You can transfer funds via BACS then the Bangkok Bank London Branch will transfer the funds to Thailand. The details are at this URL: http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Transfering%20Funds/Transferring%20into%20Thailand/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20UK/Pages/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20UK.aspx And the fees associated with it are here: http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Transfering%20Funds/Transferring%20into%20Thailand/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20UK/Pages/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20UK.aspx FYI, in the UK they use BACS to transfer from your UK Branch to our London branch. This is a low cost domestic transfer like ACH in the US. Good luck.

Actually we have the same type of service in the United Kingdon. You can transfer funds via BACS then the Bangkok Bank London Branch will transfer the funds to Thailand. The details are at this URL:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Transfering%20Funds/Transferring%20into%20Thailand/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20UK/Pages/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20UK.aspx

And the fess associated with it are here:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Transfering%20Funds/Transferring%20into%20Thailand/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20UK/Pages/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20UK.aspx

FYI, in the UK they use BACS to transfer from your UK Branch to our London branch. This is a low cost domestic transfer like ACH in the US.

Good luck.

Hi ianguygil - Yes I have been participating in the Has Anyone Got A Bangkok Bank Savings Account ? if i send baht into my account using swift will i get any charges ? thread.

Has Anyone Got A Bangkok Bank Savings Account ? - Thailand Forum

So have seen what has been developing - Apologies this is sort of a double post.

Hi Guys - Regarding Bangkok Bank's UK London correspondent branch - Sorry I will do a double post here and to the pinned thread on Thai Banking.

Going from the following information:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Transfering%20Funds/Transferring%20into%20Thailand/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20UK/Pages/UK_Internet%20Banking.aspx

The fee it says is 15 GBP and Bangkok Bank generally seem to have good rates.

This is new to me but seems to be what I wish. I have a simple SMILE internet bank account

As others have said no one is really commenting on this approach using the UK London Bangkok Bank branch I will give this a go and give a blow by blow account - so expect several posts.

Now transferring 10,000 GBP I note the rate offered by Bangkok Bank at this moment in time is 46.81

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Web%20Services/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx

Just sort of crossing my fingers at this time, it should be OK - PKRV :)-

Cash just transferred. I used the bill payment option from my UK SMILE account as this gave me more options to fill in the details requested. However as our Bangkok Bank account is in two names there was some heavy abbreviation - I will let you know what happens.

Long since given up on all the speculation and BS on here as far as info on opening bank accounts in BK..

I went on a short trip to Surin recently and got an account with Kasikorn, no problem

needed no work permit, no yellow card ect ect

My passport was the only requirement, with the usual info needed

Got all the info,card,book and guide for internet banking..had to deposit 500, and pay 600 for the account itself

worth every penny both the the account and the trip to Surin, as have been trying the BK banks mentioned on this forum with no success on occasion during the lpast 2 years ive been coming here

would have deposited many k's when the aussie rate was 29-30 if i had this account before :)

We send an SMS if requested for incoming funds, that is if you cell phone number is registered.

You obviously work for Bangkok Bank - That is not a problem for me

Yes I know you guys need a mobile phone number from us to set up certain payments - but we live mostly in the UK (for the moment) and yes we will get a SIM card next time in Thailand we are over, BUT

Bangkok Bank have our email details. This is just as good as a security measure.

Sending us an email would really, really help.

PKRV

Still awaiting funds to arrive in my Bangkok Bank account - As a matter of interest can the guys from the US comment on the time for transfers using the Local NY branch of Bangkok Bank?

Rate is currently 47.12000

As I said blow by blow

OK this is interesting – I called the UK London correspondent branch of Bangkok Bank today on 020 7929 4422 and used option 5.

They were able to confirm that the funds had been successfully received today. They also confirmed that they were sending the funds to Thailand in sterling/GBP. Apparently they only convert in the UK if the amount is under 500 GBP.

This all makes sense, and the BACS system in the UK is slow.

They confirm a 500 THB charge at the Thai end and say I should now allow 5 working days. I SHOULD get the TT rate on arrival of the funds.

I will confirm

Hey Guys,

I have just got back from Bangkok, I am going to be travelling over every couple of months so I decided I wanted an account to store my money (wasnt that comfortable leaving a stack of cash in my hotel room, or carrying it with me). I went to about 10 different branches of 5 different banks but they all wanted a Work Permit to open a savings account. Ended up in Kasikorn at Siam Square, (this was the third K-bank branch I had tried), where they again told me "need work permit". Luckily the manager was walking past, overheard the conversation and she just lent over, spoke to the consultant in thai, and hey presto, account forms were produced. Was in the branch for about 30 min total.

Would really recommend the Siam Square branch of Kasikorn, try talk to the manager, cant remember her name, but she was wearing black (while everyone else was in green) and had really short hair.

This is discussed on other posts and also detailed above - but just so this does not fall off the list - as promised

OK I will share, and thanks for all the advice on this link, because some of this was new to me – Please note this is from a UK, or as some say Brit perspective.

Using the UK London correspondent branch of Bangkok Bank and doing a simple UK bill payment (via BACS –this is standard) and the information here

We (joint account) transferred 10,000 GBP to our (joint) Bangkok Bank (head office branch) account.

We made the payment Monday the 7th June from our UK SMILE (internet branch of the co-operative bank)

Cash left our SMILE account on the Tuesday.

Cash arrived at the correspondent London Bangkok Bank branch on the Thursday – though this was confirmed by us making a phone call – they do have our email details – IMO they could clean this up a bit, but it works which is the main thing.

Cash arrived in our Bangkok Bank account today Wednesday the 16th of June.

Amount was 474,523.05 detailed as a Foreign Telegraphic transfer on our Bualuang iBanking internet account – though no fees were recorded.

Their rate today (actually at this moment) is 47.59750

So this is not an exact science rates err…. change

15 GBP charge at the UK end, 500 THB charge at the Thai end leaves us with a 238.24 THB or £5.01 discrepancy – well the funds were in transit for a week and a half.

IMO the US and the UK can create a direct link between their Thai Bangkok Bank account and their UK/US account just using 'local' payments mechanisms – And the exchange rates are not bad.

However - if drawing out small amounts of money in Thailand - the hole in the wall mechanism may still be best.

It would appear Bangkok Banks wesite is slightly out of date - it is not a 15GBP fee it is a 20GBP fee - Otherwise fine.

15 GBP charge at the UK end, 500 THB charge at the Thai end leaves us with a 238.24 THB or £5.01 discrepancy – well the funds were in transit for a week and a half.

OK that makes sense - Bangkok Bank London actually charge 20 GBP at the UK end - Thank you.

hi,

thx for info.

it sounds like there's a £20 charge, £15 plus your £5 discrepency ?

which is correct i think ?

this is the last e-mail i got from london branch :

Dear Mr Gascoyne The £20 charge is for us to send your payment to Thailand in Sterling. Barclays can most definately make Bacs payments. the payment should be as follows sortcode: 609398, Account number: 92002000, Credit: Christopher Gascoyne, reference: (your account number in thailand)BKKBTHBK.

did you just send money to them using these same details ? and then call london branch to check on the progress ?

sounds like i can go ahead and do the same thx, i was just a bit concerned when they were talking about exta fees but i presume if i send to london branch via chaps then they will chrge me extra £35-£65.

but if i send via bacs then no extra fee and just £20 to forward to thailand.

thx for all your replies,

chris

Just this week I inquired about a new account at the SCB offices in Ban Chang here in Rayong. I have a Swedish friend who has an account in BKK at a Kasikorn branch (opened a year or two ago) but would rather have one here in this area as this is where he will be living.

I spoke directly to the manager of SCB who I deal with on a regular basis and told him up front what the story was for this friend and he clearly stated the regulations put out by the BOT in the last year make it clear that no bank should open an account for any foreigner who holds a tourist visa. The foreigner needs either a WP or a long stay visa to qualify for an account. This is the same answer from the other banks here in town also. If anyone knows different and has opened an account on a tourist visa here in Ban Chang in the last few weeks please let me know so I can tell my friend.

Just this week I inquired about a new account at the SCB offices in Ban Chang here in Rayong. I have a Swedish friend who has an account in BKK at a Kasikorn branch (opened a year or two ago) but would rather have one here in this area as this is where he will be living.

For 500bt he could transfer his account to a local K-bank branch.

I spoke directly to the manager of SCB who I deal with on a regular basis and told him up front what the story was for this friend and he clearly stated the regulations put out by the BOT in the last year make it clear that no bank should open an account for any foreigner who holds a tourist visa. The foreigner needs either a WP or a long stay visa to qualify for an account. This is the same answer from the other banks here in town also. If anyone knows different and has opened an account on a tourist visa here in Ban Chang in the last few weeks please let me know so I can tell my friend.

You are based in the provinces so GungaDin's advice is not going to be of much use to you. The critical thing here is that you cannot just open a passbook savings account - and use those words - on a tourist, or visa on arrival type visa (which I have).

However there are exceptions. If you have legitimate need i.e you own a condominium and need to pay your electricity bills and Juristic, or are a student that type of thing - yes you can. It is very difficult and I would recommend going via your Bangkok Bank's local branch. They can speak to the head office and get advice and they have procedures to do this - but the knowledge pool is small.

To give you an example I have an Bualuang iBanking internet account - which is not possible on a visa on arrival - Indeed I have never actually applied for such an account - it was simply arranged for me after a long discussion which makes the guys at other branches scratch their heads.

Its hard work but is all detailed on this tread.

Edit I seem to remember some said there is not a great Bangkok Bank presence were you are - Pattaya?

Archived