Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

Kbank Central Festival Pattaya.

Walked in with a couple of thousand Baht, passport, 90-day visa, calling card from guesthouse. Walked out 15 minutes later with an account, an ATM card with my picture on it, a passbook and internet banking. As far as I know they dont post anything to you (I'm still in the same place and have had nothing).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is how you do it: Thread title:

You Can Open A Bank Account, bank accounts

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Open-Bank-Ac...25#entry1735189

But I did make a mistake

Damm - The queuing systems screen s in Bangkok Bank head office are at the back but to the right – sorry - PKRV

Alos British embassy will now issue the letter in one day, you can apply for it in the morning and pick it up at 1300-1400 the same day.

regards

Alos British embassy will now issue the letter in one day, you can apply for it in the morning and pick it up at 1300-1400 the same day.

Not sure that you will need a letter from your Embassy to open a bank account, I certainly have never been asked for one.

The British Embassy charge a whopping 2315 Baht for a standard letter like this.

"I would like to know, hopefully from other canadians, how they transfer funds to their Thailand accounts? I deal with a credit union in Canada, but will change banks as needed because CU requires my sig every time I wire money. Difficult when standing in Thailand not Canada. Would like the least painful way. I deal with Bank of Bangkok here in Chiang Rai.

Thanks"

I just come back from an "opening bank account" trip.

After tried couple i finally got a good answer to KTB.

But when everything was done i had the suprise to learn, that my visa card doesn't allow me to make internet purchase as hotel or flight booking?

Do you if there is any bank/ car in thailand which allow that?

Thanks

But when everything was done i had the suprise to learn, that my visa card doesn't allow me to make internet purchase as hotel or flight booking?

Thanks

Hmm... I have asked several times as to what you get with Kasikorn Bank And I too am on a visa on arrival (tourist type visa).

For me with Bangkok Bank (BBL) - I get international cashpoint and debit card (cost about 200 THB each per year)

I can and have indeed used these cards on the internet

I have created a direct connection from my UK bank account to my BBL account (via BBL's UK London Correspondent Branch to transfer funds at a great rate and low cost)

I got internet access - but that is tricky - I now have it - described in a past post on this thread - NOTE - PLEASE TAKE IT AS MANDATORY YOU NEED A THAI MOBILE PHONE - SECURITY IS EXECUTED USING SMS TEXTs

So more difficult but more useful?

I note the change in turnaround time at the British Embassy - The world of course moves on.

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if GungaDin's discovery still is valid up to today's date.

KASIKORN BANK located on Soi 33 Sukhumvit

corner Sukhumvit Soi 33 & Sukhumvit Road

near Phron Phong BTS Skytrain

Can one still open up an individual bank account with internet access with a valid/current USA Passport with a 30 day Visa Exemption?

If not, what documents are necessary? Or can you only open up an individual bank account with a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa?

Just wanted to keep this thread current, since I'll be in Bangkok in 2 weeks for 3 weeks on a 30 day Visa Exemption. I would sure love to open up a bank account for future visits to BKK.

Thanks to anyone who replies.:wai:

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to read and respond to my inquiry as to whether GungaDin's discovery was still good.

NOT! :wacko:

Anyway, I've just returned to the USA from a 3 week trip to Bangkok.

The good news? I managed to open an individual savings account (with internet access) at the above referenced Kasikorn Bank branch. So, this is indeed a good bank branch to go for any farang who wants to open an individual bank account in Thailand (Bangkok.) :D

It wasn't as simple as GungaDin made the process out to be, though.

Initially, I was rejected with the all too familiar ... "YOU NEED WORK PERMIT." :ermm:

I politely asked the intake bank officer if I could speak to the branch manager. She rang him up, and I had a very nice conversation with him. I explained to him that I needed to open an indidual saving account to park THB 400,000 to satisify the financial requirement for the Thai Marriage extension. After several minutes of persuasion, the branch manager asked that I hand the phone back to the female bank officer. After they spoke a few words, she said that they would allow me to open an individual savings account! BINGO! :partytime2:

I then filled out all the paperwork and used my hotel's address as the one for their records. Got my ATM card. I was good to go. Getting internet access is invaluable. Also, it should be noted that I only had a 30 day Visa Exemption stamped in my USA Passport! :clap2:

So, in conclusion, GungaDin's discovery still is good!

I hit paydirt, and so any farangs looking to open an individual savings bank account in Thailand (Bangkok) - try the above referenced Kasikorn Bank location!

:intheclub:

Thanks for the update - You know there are not that many of us opening accounts - so this accounts for your lack of feedback (no pun intended - OK I lied ];-)- well I can't comment I have not done that with that bank. Your feedback however is deeply appreciated on this pinned thread - alot of people would not have bothered.

• 4 weeks later...

When opening a savings account with a Thai bank, do ensure that you check with the staff that as a non-Thai account holder you will be entitled to interest on your savings. Though the savings account interest rates are at present less than 1%, something is better than nothing. I have had an account with Krung Thai Bank for a year until yesterday when I queried why there was no interest credited to the account. The answer was that as a non-Thai, I was not entitled to interest with Krung Thai, so be warned! It's been suggested that it is government banks who discriminate against non-Thais in the matter of interest. I certainly was not told of this policy when I opened the Krung Thai account, and I was stupid enough not to ask, based on my previous satisfactory experiences with Siam Commercial and Standard Chartered, both of whom do pay interest. I'm in the process of transferring my account to Kasikornbank, who assure me that interest will be paid on my savings account. Opening the new account required only an inspection of my passport (I have a non-immigrant O visa) and confirmation of address and telephone number and all was completed, including the issue of ATM debit card, within 15 minutes.

When opening a savings account with a Thai bank, do ensure that you check with the staff that as a non-Thai account holder you will be entitled to interest on your savings. Though the savings account interest rates are at present less than 1%, something is better than nothing. I have had an account with Krung Thai Bank for a year until yesterday when I queried why there was no interest credited to the account. The answer was that as a non-Thai, I was not entitled to interest with Krung Thai, so be warned! It's been suggested that it is government banks who discriminate against non-Thais in the matter of interest. I certainly was not told of this policy when I opened the Krung Thai account, and I was stupid enough not to ask, based on my previous satisfactory experiences with Siam Commercial and Standard Chartered, both of whom do pay interest. I'm in the process of transferring my account to Kasikornbank, who assure me that interest will be paid on my savings account. Opening the new account required only an inspection of my passport (I have a non-immigrant O visa) and confirmation of address and telephone number and all was completed, including the issue of ATM debit card, within 15 minutes.

Good observation, BTW, BBL also pay interest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wish I had $10 every time this question has been answered. :o

Kasikorn Bank , cnr of Sukh soi 33 & Sukh rd, rt by Phrom Phong BTS Skytrain, that's in Bangkok.... :D

Hey...that's my bank!! had an account there since 06...still maintaining it for my holidays...I plan to use it if I re-locate to Thailand.:jap:

Kasikorn are the best, so helpful and polite, I went into the Central Plaza branch on level 4 in Patts, walked in with shorts and singlet, and with only my tourist entry stamp and hotel address they opened mine in 10 minutes, all with visa debit card and 500 baht deposit..I'm using the online banking to transfer funds for my return to los. I even had to call their call centre from falangland to reset my password as I forgot it, got it done in 5 minutes, new password arrived in my email instantly, great service... :D

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a YouTube video showing a foreigner going into a Bangkok Bank and asking specifically what a foreigner needs to open a bank account. Made yesterday so it is current information. I hope it is helpful.

Whilst the introduction to this video had some considerable merit - the rest was a pile of poo, and simply discussed non immigration visa status - I am just visa on arrival status and no it is not that simple. Perhaps the documenter would care to actually work out that we are not all in the same position?

However Bangkok Bank did really help - See the first pages of this thread.

One item to consider - and this probably varies by bank

Am in my 3rd year with Kasikorn, and have never encountered any problem/reason to change banks

but

their accounts are regional; I opened accounts saving and investment in one province; moved to another area a year later and thought I'd notify them of a change of address, seemed the right thing to do.

Turns out they wanted me to open new accounts there, they would close the old ones, and charge me 500 baht for a new ATM card. I didn't bother at the time.

Now another year on and we moved again in March and will do the change and pay the 500 - as it is we are not 'local' and incur a 30 baht charge for each deposit and 20 baht charge for each withdrawal. Not much, but does mount up and as I have other dealings with them decided it was worthwhile to have everything with one branch.

Until we move again!!

Their accounts are regional; I opened accounts saving and investment in one province; moved to another area a year later and thought I'd notify them of a change of address, seemed the right thing to do.Turns out they wanted me to open new accounts there.

I had a similar experience with the Bank of Ayudhya when I moved to Bangkok a couple of years back. I went into my Ayudhya branch to transfer my account to that branch and they advised that I needed to open a new account, ok says I lets do it, the clerk says ok I just need to see your passport and work permit, I tried to explain that I was retired I don't have or need a work permit, she went down the "no cannot" route, and amount of explaining that I had an account with them for years and a significant amount on deposit would sway her. I thought I would call her bluff and threaten to withdraw the cash on deposit and close the account, but that made no difference, without batting an eyelid she gave me the cash in the account and then closed it, I walked down the road to Kasikorn and opened an account, and have been with them ever since.

Suspect I will have to go through it all again if we move though.

I believe Bangkok Bank (BBL) also works the same way- Previously on this thread there was confusion. I was saying I don't see charges, and others, whose views I appreciate, were saying yes they do. We were all correct. I up to date only operated with my BBL account out of Bangkok - I will be interested to see what will happen on any further excursions to the other provinces.

Yes I believe a Sector/Province issues matter.

Quick question to all the seasoned back account holders in Thailand:

I am planning on arriving to Bangkok for only one day in November 2011.

My goal is to deposit 3000 USD into Kasikorn Bank. I have a US Passport.

Subsequent to my one day stay in Bangkok, I am traveling abroad in SEA for approximately 1.5 months.

On or about January 9, 2012, I am returning to Bangkok to stay in my hotel.

So my question is will Kasikorn Bank allow me to make the deposit even though I technically will not be inside the country for almost 2 months?

^^^^^^

I don't see why not, they will not know, or probably even care, that you will be travelling. They will, probably, just open your account, give (sell) you an ATM card, and you should be good to go.

When I opened my account with them a while back all I needed was my passport, it was all very easy.

^^^^^^

I don't see why not, they will not know, or probably even care, that you will be travelling. They will, probably, just open your account, give (sell) you an ATM card, and you should be good to go.

When I opened my account with them a while back all I needed was my passport, it was all very easy.

Thanks for responding. My only fear is that since the bank requires you to provide information regarding your accommodation, would they make an issue about you not staying in your hotel for a short period of time?

^^^^^^

Thanks for responding. My only fear is that since the bank requires you to provide information regarding your accommodation, would they make an issue about you not staying in your hotel for a short period of time?

No problem at all, they will never send you a statement or a letter so having your address is useless to them, just put the addresss, not the hotel name.

^^^^^^

I have never been asked for proof of accomodation from a Thai bank, and also they have never sent me anything by post.

As with all Thai banks if you encounter a problem just try another branch.

Sorry PP I was referring to the earlier post, must type quicker.

^^^^^^

No problem at all, they will never send you a statement or a letter so having your address is useless to them, just put the addresss, not the hotel name.

^^^^^^

I have never been asked for proof of accomodation from a Thai bank, and also they have never sent me anything by post.

As with all Thai banks if you encounter a problem just try another branch.

Sorry PP I was referring to the earlier post, must type quicker.

Thank you so much for your help.

My flight arrives at midnight on November 29.

The next morning I'll just take my stash to Kaiskorn and make the deposit.

I am staying near Soi 18 on Sukhimvit. I assume there's plenty of branches???

Thanks

BBL does. But perhaps you must enroll in Verified By Visa. Many companies like flight companies are more strict with their credit card purchases require this.

Usually the issuing bank they will "pre-enroll" you in the Verified By VIsa, and you will get prompted to setup your pin during the transaction. For Bangkok Bank, you must call and use their automated system to set your pin. Then go back and complete the transaction. At worst, the transaction will timeout, and you'll have to start over. But all future VbV transactions will be smoother.

I was considering K-bank. Any advantages over BBL?

FWIW, upon the advice of others here, finally took the step of opening a K-Bank savings acct the other day. Process was smooth. Needed passport (of course), physical address, and 500B or so initial deposit (although I opened it with a bit more). Ordered and initialized VISA ATM debit card (300B first year, 200B each additional year) and Internet banking (no charge) at the same time. Did this while on a Tourist Visa, too.

I'm currently looking at SCB, too, and checking out some of their online and other interesting services not requiring a work permit.

Bangkok Bank? Who needs 'em...

Sorry if I missed it if my question has already been answered, but..

K-bank has a Los Angeles branch in the US. Can I make ACH transfers from my US banks to the LA branch and have those funds available to me at the K-bank here in Thailand? I am trying to avoid both the 150 baht ATM fee on my US bank debit card and international wire transfer fees. Anyone done this? Thanks.

I live near Los Angeles and have considered this route, since I don't want to carry thousands of dollars on me upon arrival to Bangkok.

If anyone has any similar experiences please do tell.

I will be in Thailand later this year and want to open an account for my 12 year old son who is a Thai citizen but lives outside of Thailand.

Will I be able to open the account without him being there? Also, will Thai banks accept AMEX travellers cheques in Australian dollars? If so, what are the fees to exchange the cheques to Thai Baht?

Just thought I'd add my experience of opening a bank account in Thailand to the mix :)

As everyone who has researched this before will probably already know, the answer to the question 'can I open a bank account here please?' depends what branch of what bank you happen to walk into, the current phase of the moon and whether there's a ญ in the month!

My experience up in Chiang Saen was that Mrs Tastic enquired, on my behalf, some months ago if the falang part of her family was to be allowed to become a customer of the local Bangkok Bank. She had recently opened a new account, having moved from a different province.

She was informed that, yes, it would be possible, all I needed to bring was my marriage certificate.

I've never seen anyone mention this is any of the threads about bank accounts before, but judging by my experiences with the land office, the hospital (who wanted to see a photo of our toilet before they'd issue us with a healthe certificate which enables the Amphur to give us a house number.

Plus the two whole days it took to actually get married in the Amphur in the first place, I wasn't surprised by this request! Things are a little different in our part of the world!

Sure enough, once the hoops had been jumped with regard to the marriage certificate, off we went to see BB's finest and 15 minutes later I had Visa card and passbook. still waiting for the internet banking passwords to arrive but have writers cramp from signing my name 37 times, abolut six of those signatures were on the paperwork for the internet banking, so I have every confidence that they will arrive.

Oh and I was on a Tourist Visa at the time as well :) She brought her ID card, Tabien Baan which they duly photocopied ready for her signature.

Archived