Too Many Desk Top Icons?

sceadugenga

Can you have too many Desk Top icons? Mine have sneaked up to 24 again and I remember someone telling me that they slow your system down.

I have a shitload of icons in the unused desktop icons folder as well, mainly for program installers.

Can you have too many Desk Top icons? Mine have sneaked up to 24 again and I remember someone telling me that they slow your system down.

I have a shitload of icons in the unused desktop icons folder as well, mainly for program installers.

With the speed of current computers and graphics card you have no problems with icons on desktop or in quick start tray because they are just icons only. You should be concerned with number of icons in the tray next to the clock because these are running applications.

If it looks cluttered and overloaded what I guess right click your desktop

Unmark "show desktop icons"

Right click on your taskbar ----> Toolbars ---->Desktop (mark it).

(You will have a 'desktop' in your taskbar)

Then you will have a clean desktop and can enjoy your desktop background... :o

Don't care about this. This was a topic many, many years ago because the system has to refresh the desktop - when displayed. But today even if displayed - hard to measure any impact on the total performance. The advice to keep the icon number down is simply history.

Edited by Johnxxx

Join the club I have about 30, time go in and see what in can send to recylce Bin :o:D

^ :o

I like a decluttered comp. No desktop icons, all hidden neatly in a folder easily accessible through the auto-hide tool bar.

Scea, if you like, you can tidy up what you dont need by taking a quick look at start>control panel> Add remove programmes. Chuck out the ones you dont want. Get rid of any unused shortcuts by just deleting (it only removes the icon shortcut not the programme). If you want to hide them completely just right click on the screen>arrange icons by> 'untick' show desktop icons. Then just activate the desktop folder in the taskbar. Right click taskbar>tool bars>'tick' desktop. You can autohide the tool bar too if you really want uncluttered. Rightclick toolbar>properties> auto-hide taskbar.

Of course, if you knew all that already, or not interested, just ignore. :D